Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default S L O W group lately, so I'll pose a question, bbq sauce

I've seen literally hundreds of recipes for bbq sauces, some from this
group, some from books, some elsewhere on the internet.

I'm puzzled by the widespread use of redundant ingredients, e.g. "1/4
cup tomato sauce, 1/4 tomato paste, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 cup Joe Blow's
bbq sauce....."

I always felt that you should use the most basic ingredients possible,
and build the flavor with discreet tastes from herbs and spices and
other natural stuff (e.g. lemon juice), as opposed to the artificial
ingrediants in ketchup, &tc.

Just my $0.02 worth...

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 2, 7:45*pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> I've seen literally hundreds of recipes for bbq sauces, some from this
> group, some from books, some elsewhere on the internet.

SNIP

> Just my $0.02 worth...

OK, I give. What was the question?

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>OK, I give. What was the question?

Some people can read in between the lines. Other 's can't

Am I right, or worng? Do you agree, or disagree? Any intelligent
comments?

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message

> Am I right, or worng? Do you agree, or disagree? Any intelligent
> comments?
>
> -Zz

Well, DUH!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Well, DUH!

SEE? Edwin gets it!

-Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
> I've seen literally hundreds of recipes for bbq sauces, some from this
> group, some from books, some elsewhere on the internet.
>
> I'm puzzled by the widespread use of redundant ingredients, e.g. "1/4
> cup tomato sauce, 1/4 tomato paste, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 cup Joe Blow's
> bbq sauce....."

What makes you think that tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup
and other barbecue sauces are redundant ingredients? All
of these things may be made from tomatoes, but the way that
they are made influences the flavor and texture in different
ways.

For example, tomato sauce isn't just watered-down tomato
paste.

So, it makes sense that a recipe may call for some amounts
of each tomato-product to achieve a particular flavor or
texture/thickness.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Anyway, that's my 2 cents' worth of reply to what I think was your
>question. Next time, try actually stating it, ok?

'k
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

This is a tough room. I'll be more careful next time I try to stir up
some posts.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Zz Yzx > wrote:

> I've seen literally hundreds of recipes for bbq sauces, some from this
> group, some from books, some elsewhere on the internet.

Warning:half of these sauce recipes are below average.
> I'm puzzled by the widespread use of redundant ingredients, e.g. "1/4
> cup tomato sauce, 1/4 tomato paste, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 cup Joe Blow's
> bbq sauce....."

A tomato by any other name. Ketchup can be replaced with catsup in a
pinch.
> I always felt that you should use the most basic ingredients possible,
> and build the flavor with discreet tastes from herbs and spices and
> other natural stuff (e.g. lemon juice), as opposed to the artificial
> ingrediants in ketchup, &tc.

Ketchup is pretty flippin basic,and easier to blop from a
storebought bottle than to make from scratch. Same with mustard. Many
'discreet tastes' from herbs,et al,are completely and utterly
obliterated when smoked for hours. Basil flakes and grass clippings
taste pretty much the same after being smeared on a pork butt and smoked
for 12 hrs. You need strong stuff to make it to the palate after all of
that.
> Just my $0.02 worth...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Zz Yzx > wrote:

> >OK, I give. What was the question?

> Some people can read in between the lines. Other 's can't
>
> Am I right, or worng? Do you agree, or disagree? Any intelligent
> comments?

Ya wanna know what makes most Q joint sauce better than bottled? It's
the meat drippings most of them add to the sauce bucket. Dang sure can't
bottle that, IYKWIM.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx > wrote:
> >OK, I give. What was the question?

> Some people can read in between the lines. Other 's can't
>
> Am I right, or worng? Do you agree, or disagree? Any intelligent
> comments?

Yes. Yes. No.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 3, 5:16*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Zz Yzx > wrote:
> > >OK, I give. *What was the question?

> > Some people can read in between the lines. *Other 's can't

> > Am I right, or worng? *Do you agree, or disagree? *Any intelligent
> > comments?

> Yes. Yes. No.
>
> --
> Nick.

IAWTP
Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
KW KW is offline

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> This is a tough room. I'll be more careful next time I try to stir up
> some posts.
>
> -Zz

Sure it's a tough room, but if you smoke it low and slow for 12+ hours,
it'll break down and get pretty tender. BTW, I don't believe for a minute
that *posts* was what you were trying to stir up....NTTAWWT :-)))))

To answer your unspoken question, everyone has different tastes and there is
no right answer. When I have a need for sauce *and* the time to make/simmer
it properly, I'll make one from scratch. If I'm running behind schedule, I
have been known to use Cattleman's as a base and doctor it up with my
favorite spices, vinegar, catsup, beer, etc. and create an altogether
different, but still tasty blend of flavors.

KW