Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default You folks were right!

I have ribs on the gas grill now. They are on the non-fire side. I took
the advice of the folks here and wrapped my unsoaked hickory chips in
aluminum foil and poked two holes in each bundle.

The smoke is wonderful and nothing is on fire. The ribs are looking
gorgeous and should be done in half an hour. They are a deep mahogany
color and the meat is just about at the shrinking on the bones spot that
says "done".

Serving them with home made slaw and cubed red potatoes with olive oil,
green onions, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano and pepper. Potatoes are
wrapped in foil and on the grill, too.

I dry rub the ribs. Sauce at table. This is Texas.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I have ribs on the gas grill now. They are on the non-fire side. I took
> the advice of the folks here and wrapped my unsoaked hickory chips in
> aluminum foil and poked two holes in each bundle.
>
> The smoke is wonderful and nothing is on fire. The ribs are looking
> gorgeous and should be done in half an hour. They are a deep mahogany
> color and the meat is just about at the shrinking on the bones spot that
> says "done".
>
> Serving them with home made slaw and cubed red potatoes with olive oil,
> green onions, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano and pepper. Potatoes are
> wrapped in foil and on the grill, too.
>
> I dry rub the ribs. Sauce at table. This is Texas.
> --
> Janet Wilder

Good on ya Janet. There's a lot of folks here that know what they're doing
and although we often argue, mostly about things that don't matter, the
general theory seeps through. It's nice to see folks like yourself that are
astute enough to read between the lines and extract what you need to
adapt your hardware and environment to produce a product that YOU
desire. Your description convinces me that you have a pretty good idea
what it's all about.

Live Large
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> On 30-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I have ribs on the gas grill now. They are on the non-fire side. I took
>> the advice of the folks here and wrapped my unsoaked hickory chips in
>> aluminum foil and poked two holes in each bundle.
>>
>> The smoke is wonderful and nothing is on fire. The ribs are looking
>> gorgeous and should be done in half an hour. They are a deep mahogany
>> color and the meat is just about at the shrinking on the bones spot that
>> says "done".
>>
>> Serving them with home made slaw and cubed red potatoes with olive oil,
>> green onions, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano and pepper. Potatoes are
>> wrapped in foil and on the grill, too.
>>
>> I dry rub the ribs. Sauce at table. This is Texas.
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word
of caution though from someone who used their gasser for
quite a few racks before getting a WSM. If you do it often
be sure to clean the bottom of the grill out or you could
end up with a grill on fire. Doubt if you'll have to ask how
I know that.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word of caution
> though from someone who used their gasser for quite a few racks before
> getting a WSM. If you do it often be sure to clean the bottom of the
> grill out or you could end up with a grill on fire. Doubt if you'll have
> to ask how I know that.

They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any restaurant's.

I put foil under the ribs. I found that they stay moister that way. The
foil keeps the fat from running into the grill and I think that any
juices that fall onto the foil are evaporated up into the meat.

I'm sure that this practice violates some rule, but it works.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>> Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word of
>> caution though from someone who used their gasser for quite a few
>> racks before getting a WSM. If you do it often be sure to clean the
>> bottom of the grill out or you could end up with a grill on fire.
>> Doubt if you'll have to ask how I know that.
>>

> They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any
> restaurant's.
> I put foil under the ribs. I found that they stay moister that way.
> The foil keeps the fat from running into the grill and I think that
> any juices that fall onto the foil are evaporated up into the meat.
>
> I'm sure that this practice violates some rule, but it works.

It doesn't violate any rule at all. The foil itself would have no effect of
infusing additional moisture *into* the meat itself. It sounds like two
mechanisms were at play:

First: The foil probably provided additional deflection of the heat source.

Two: The placement of the foil reduced the amount of convection currents
swirling around the ribs, which is one of the chief culprits that dries out
meat whilst it cooks.

Now you know what works for you and things will continue to get even better
as you develop your skills :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any restaurant's.
>
> I put foil under the ribs. I found that they stay moister that way. The
> foil keeps the fat from running into the grill and I think that any
> juices that fall onto the foil are evaporated up into the meat.
>
> I'm sure that this practice violates some rule, but it works.

Great! I know what he means. I haven't ordered ribs out
since I started doin' 'em at home.

Rulez? Ain't no rules! Well, except for parboiling maybe. ;-)

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 31, 11:32*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word of caution

> They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any restaurant's.

You were insulted!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Dec 31, 11:32 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>
>>> Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word of caution

>> They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any restaurant's.

> You were insulted!

Not really. We've done lots and lots of travel (we lived in an RV for 9
years)and have had some of the country's best Q. If he ranks my ribs up
there with such places as Memphis and Kansas City, I'm quite flattered. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> > They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any
> > restaurant's.
> >
> > I put foil under the ribs. I found that they stay moister that way. The
> > foil keeps the fat from running into the grill and I think that any
> > juices that fall onto the foil are evaporated up into the meat.
> >
> > I'm sure that this practice violates some rule, but it works.

> Great! I know what he means. I haven't ordered ribs out
> since I started doin' 'em at home.
>
> Rulez? Ain't no rules! Well, except for parboiling maybe. ;-)

And Liquid Smoke! Don't forget the NO Liquid Smoke Rule. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>> Hope that they tasted as good as they sound Janet. One word of caution
>> though from someone who used their gasser for quite a few racks before
>> getting a WSM. If you do it often be sure to clean the bottom of the
>> grill out or you could end up with a grill on fire. Doubt if you'll have
>> to ask how I know that.
>>

> They were wonderful, Steve. DH said they were as good as any restaurant's.
>
> I put foil under the ribs. I found that they stay moister that way. The
> foil keeps the fat from running into the grill and I think that any juices
> that fall onto the foil are evaporated up into the meat.
>
> I'm sure that this practice violates some rule, but it works.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

I always put foil under the ribs, but especially with the gas grill. Months
later you thank yourself.

Kent

Hi Folks. bigwheel Barbecue 15 11-01-2013 06:14 PM
StL folks only Food Snob®[_2_] General Cooking 0 30-04-2010 12:57 PM
Just a thanks to folks here Tutall Barbecue 0 09-02-2008 06:23 PM
Hello folks Granby Preserving 6 29-09-2007 04:20 AM
Any folks here from SC, NC or GA USA? Dick R. Wine 8 13-12-2006 06:00 PM