Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Replacement Taylor Probes?

I have a Taylor 1474 digital therm with remote pager that I
really like. I notice that Taylor's not making them any
longer with the remote pager option.

I've had no problems with my probe but figured I may want to
get a couple of spares just in case.

Problem is, I can't seem to locate anyone that has the
probes. Anyone know of a source?

I wrote TaylorUSA a note but figured I'd ask here as well.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:30:04 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>> I wrote TaylorUSA a note but figured I'd ask here as well.

>> I called them and spoke with... somebody - I lost that email
>> (maybe Nick still has it?). They sent me a couple probes as long
>> as I promised to send them a check for $10.

> I had it? I don't remember, but I don't have it now. ;-(

Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:30:04 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> I called them and spoke with... somebody - I lost that email
> >> (maybe Nick still has it?). They sent me a couple probes as long
> >> as I promised to send them a check for $10.

> > I had it? I don't remember, but I don't have it now. ;-(

> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
calibrated and interchangable.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> >
>> > I had it? I don't remember, but I don't have it now. ;-(

>> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

> I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
> calibrated and interchangable.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Could it have been 'The Polder Store'?

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"HarryDemidavicius" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Steve Calvin > wrote:

> >> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

> > I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
> > calibrated and interchangable.

> Could it have been 'The Polder Store'?
>
> Harry

That's to the OP, eh?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> I had it? I don't remember, but I don't have it now. ;-(

>> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

> I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
> calibrated and interchangable.

So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Steve Calvin > wrote:

>>> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

>> I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
>> calibrated and interchangable.
>>

> So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??

This link will give a primer on thermocouples. What you will learn is
that the instrument is calibrated to receive readings from a particular
"Type" of thermocouple. No matter the brand, if the "Type" is correct,
and the plug is correct, you're good to go.

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouples.html

--
Dave T.

In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now
the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave T. wrote:
> This link will give a primer on thermocouples. What you

will learn is
> that the instrument is calibrated to receive readings from a particular
> "Type" of thermocouple. No matter the brand, if the "Type" is correct,
> and the plug is correct, you're good to go.
>
> http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouples.html

Thanks Dave. I'll read up.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave T." > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
>>> calibrated and interchangable.
>>>

>> So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??
>>

> Dave T.

Taylor make all those thermomers, probes, and such and sell them under
lucence to others.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave T." wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
> >> calibrated and interchangable.
> >>

> > So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??
> >

> This link will give a primer on thermocouples. What you will learn is
> that the instrument is calibrated to receive readings from a particular
> "Type" of thermocouple. No matter the brand, if the "Type" is correct,
> and the plug is correct, you're good to go.
>
> http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouples.html

I'm not positive, but I don't think that those inexpensive thermometers
use thermocouples. Most of the cheaper products use thermisters.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pete C. wrote:

> I'm not positive, but I don't think that those inexpensive thermometers
> use thermocouples. Most of the cheaper products use thermisters.

Possible I suppose, but the units I've seen don't seem to have the
accuracy that a thermister gives. I have a kitchen aid that is off by
about 10 degrees. I also would think that a type J would be less
expensive but maybe not.
--
Dave T.

In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now
the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Steve Calvin > wrote:

> >> Bummer, but thanks for looking Nick.

> > I have two Taylors and four even cheaper knockoffs. The probes are all
> > calibrated and interchangable.
> >

> So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??

I dunno. ;-/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave T." > wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > Nick Cramer wrote:

> This link will give a primer on thermocouples. What you will learn is
> that the instrument is calibrated to receive readings from a particular
> "Type" of thermocouple. No matter the brand, if the "Type" is correct,
> and the plug is correct, you're good to go.
>
> http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouples.html

Excellent reference URL, Dave. Thanks!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave T." wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>

> > I'm not positive, but I don't think that those inexpensive thermometers
> > use thermocouples. Most of the cheaper products use thermisters.

> Possible I suppose, but the units I've seen don't seem to have the
> accuracy that a thermister gives. I have a kitchen aid that is off by
> about 10 degrees. I also would think that a type J would be less
> expensive but maybe not.

I'm not sure where the misconception comes from, but thermocouples are
more accurate than thermisters generally are. As for the cost, the
thermocouple itself isn't all that expensive, but the signal
conditioning circuitry that goes with it, cold junction compensation,
etc. add a lot to the cost over a simple thermister setup.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

[This followup was posted to alt.food.barbecue and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article >, ost
says...

On 20 May 2007 23:11:26 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> [quoted text muted]
>> ($4/ea), makers of the thermometer units for Polder and Taylor.
>> I was pleasantly surprised to see the new design of the probes.

> Thanks, Steve. A URL and part # would be great!

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: Alice

Send hner a check for $6/ea (not $4 like previously said), and a
note saying you want the corded probe, and they will send the
probe(s) right out. Shipping included.

-sw

Kitamun

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:04:42 -0800, "Dave T." >
> wrote:
>
>>> So I can get a Polder probe and use it in the Taylor??
>>>

>> This link will give a primer on thermocouples. What you will learn is
>> that the instrument is calibrated to receive readings from a particular
>> "Type" of thermocouple. No matter the brand, if the "Type" is correct,
>> and the plug is correct, you're good to go.
>>
>> http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/thermocouples.html

> Wellllll....
>
> I have a Polder. I have the probe/cord that came with it. I also
> have the probe/cord that came with a somewhat cheaper unit (may have
> been Oregon Scientific--not sure). The non-Polder always read high;
> side-by-side with my analog instant-read dial-type therms, it'd read
> 10-15 deg F high.
> Plug fits the Polder.
> The Polder...
> Well. I got curious on Christmas and put both probes into a big glass
> of ice water. One probe--probably the one from the old unit--read
> something above 40F with the Polder. (don't have the other unit, or
> couldn't find it) The other probe read between 15 and 25, also with
> the Polder. This does NOT amuse me. I've got to test 'em in boiling
> water--maybe tomorrow I'll remember to do that.
>
> I don't know what the hell model Polder it is--doesn't have a model #
> anywhere on it. So, I don't know what probe to buy. So I'm screwed.
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Good idea denny, I think I'll do the same.

Here's the reply I got from Taylor when I inquired about
replacement probes... Some customer service... <rolling
eyes> "sure, we'll replace your unit with the remote pager
with one without it" Un-freekin-believeable.

** Reply**

Sir, Sorry, Taylor has no replacement parts available
for Model 1474 obsolete discontinued item. Taylor Model 1474
has been obsolete for a year or so now. Taylor will honor
the ten years warranty is replacing the thermometer with
Model 1471 (non-pager unit). Please remove battery, return
the thermometer to Taylor. Taylor does not require a receipt or
the original package. Please enclose a brief note with your
name, return address, explanation of problem. Kindly put the
note inside a box with the thermometer, return to the following:

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Suite A
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: Ana - Thermometer Return Dept.

Once your thermometer is received it will be replaced with
Taylor new Model 1471. Taylor than will mail the new
thermometer back to the consumer. Turn around time of three
weeks. I do hope this information proves to be helpful to you.

Thanks,
E. Salas

Taylor ham hermit General Cooking 62 01-10-2007 03:57 PM
Idaho probes nine Creutzfeldt-Jakob cases Beach Runner Vegan 0 18-10-2005 06:50 PM
Replacement probes for Maverick thermometers adm Barbecue 3 16-10-2005 10:53 PM
Polder Replacement Probes twpjr Barbecue 0 21-08-2005 05:26 AM
Replacement Polder Probes Louis Cohen Barbecue 2 20-10-2003 12:33 PM