Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cheese revisited

My order of cheese from Carr Valley Cheese Co in Wisconsin arrived
this week. This is on topic because I ordered an applewood smoked
cheddar. This is the best cheese I've ever eaten. It is a fairly
mild, white cheese. After smoking the cheese it is hand rubbed with
sweet paprika. When I bit into it the first time I could immediately
taste the apple wood that was used to smoke the cheese then the
cheddar kicked in. After I swallowed the cheese a wonderful taste of
smoke lingered on the roof of my mouth. This cheese makes me want to
fire up the smoker despite the cold and rain. Guess instead I'll go
eat some more cheese. But I'm going to have to consider trying to
smoke some cheese myself.

Julie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Huh. I was intrigued, and went to their website. ll looks good, but
if you go to buy anything, there's no way to gauge the deal. You can
buy a 10-yr old cheddar ($21.30), or apple-smoked cheddar ($10.00),
but nowhere does it tell you how much you get. Per lb, per oz? Per 4
oz?

FIX IT! Or go away!

-Zz

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:51:19 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
> wrote:

>My order of cheese from Carr Valley Cheese Co in Wisconsin arrived
>this week. This is on topic because I ordered an applewood smoked
>cheddar. This is the best cheese I've ever eaten. It is a fairly
>mild, white cheese. After smoking the cheese it is hand rubbed with
>sweet paprika. When I bit into it the first time I could immediately
>taste the apple wood that was used to smoke the cheese then the
>cheddar kicked in. After I swallowed the cheese a wonderful taste of
>smoke lingered on the roof of my mouth. This cheese makes me want to
>fire up the smoker despite the cold and rain. Guess instead I'll go
>eat some more cheese. But I'm going to have to consider trying to
>smoke some cheese myself.
>
>Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/car...t_on=&sort_by=

states near the top of the page that prices are listed per pound, with a
half pound minimum order each.

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Huh. I was intrigued, and went to their website. ll looks good, but
> if you go to buy anything, there's no way to gauge the deal. You can
> buy a 10-yr old cheddar ($21.30), or apple-smoked cheddar ($10.00),
> but nowhere does it tell you how much you get. Per lb, per oz? Per 4
> oz?
>
> FIX IT! Or go away!
>
> -Zz
>

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:51:19 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
> > wrote:
>
>>My order of cheese from Carr Valley Cheese Co in Wisconsin arrived
>>this week. This is on topic because I ordered an applewood smoked
>>cheddar. This is the best cheese I've ever eaten. It is a fairly
>>mild, white cheese. After smoking the cheese it is hand rubbed with
>>sweet paprika. When I bit into it the first time I could immediately
>>taste the apple wood that was used to smoke the cheese then the
>>cheddar kicked in. After I swallowed the cheese a wonderful taste of
>>smoke lingered on the roof of my mouth. This cheese makes me want to
>>fire up the smoker despite the cold and rain. Guess instead I'll go
>>eat some more cheese. But I'm going to have to consider trying to
>>smoke some cheese myself.
>>
>>Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Huh. I was intrigued, and went to their website. ll looks good, but
> if you go to buy anything, there's no way to gauge the deal. You can
> buy a 10-yr old cheddar ($21.30), or apple-smoked cheddar ($10.00),
> but nowhere does it tell you how much you get. Per lb, per oz? Per 4
> oz?
>
> FIX IT! Or go away!
>
> -Zz

Read the page at the top
Handcrafted in our LaValle plant in small vats by cheesemakers with more
than 100 years experience. We offer everything from fresh cheese curds to 10
year aged cheddar. Prices are listed per pound with a minimum order of 1/2
pound each. Pieces may vary but will only charge for what you receive.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 24, 8:33 pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> Huh. I was intrigued, and went to their website. ll looks good, but
> if you go to buy anything, there's no way to gauge the deal. You can
> buy a 10-yr old cheddar ($21.30), or apple-smoked cheddar ($10.00),
> but nowhere does it tell you how much you get. Per lb, per oz? Per 4
> oz?
>
> FIX IT! Or go away!
>
> -Zz
>
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:51:19 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly

I can't fix it because I'm not associated with the company. I just
thought I'd share my opinion since I mentioned the company in response
to a thread about cheese last week. Thanks John and Ed for helping to
point this person in the right direction.

Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I stand correctd, and gratefully so.

-Zz

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:51:19 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
> wrote:

>My order of cheese from Carr Valley Cheese Co in Wisconsin arrived
>this week. This is on topic because I ordered an applewood smoked
>cheddar. This is the best cheese I've ever eaten. It is a fairly
>mild, white cheese. After smoking the cheese it is hand rubbed with
>sweet paprika. When I bit into it the first time I could immediately
>taste the apple wood that was used to smoke the cheese then the
>cheddar kicked in. After I swallowed the cheese a wonderful taste of
>smoke lingered on the roof of my mouth. This cheese makes me want to
>fire up the smoker despite the cold and rain. Guess instead I'll go
>eat some more cheese. But I'm going to have to consider trying to
>smoke some cheese myself.
>
>Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"GaDragonfly" > wrote in message
snip
> eat some more cheese. But I'm going to have to consider trying to
> smoke some cheese myself.
>
> Julie

This is interesting,

Here's how to smoke cheese without a smoker.This is a simple setup to smoke
cheese without a smoker. You just need a cardboard box, a cookie sheet, a
couple of cooling racks, a couple of soda cans and a GrillKickerT with about
2-4 cartridges.

(My Note: Replace grill kicker contraptions with 3 briquetts and one chunk
of wood, set on top of some bricks)

First take 2 or 4 empty soda cans and fill them about 3/4 full of water and
freeze. ( This is not necessary but it helps keep the cheese cold while
smoking.) Place the cookie sheet on a table in a well ventilated area and
put a cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet. Place the GrillKickerT on top
of the cooking rack and put the soda cans on top of this cooling rack as
well. Place the second cooling rack on top of the soda cans...

Go Here For Full Article, Scroll Down A Wee Bit, Pics and all!

http://www.smoke-pistol.com/smokedcheese.html

Michael2590