Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Help with a Pork Butt

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "vex" > wrote:
>> Mark Filice wrote:
>>> In article >, Janet Wilder
>>> []

>> Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO
>> member?

> I know Janet Wilder from another NG or two.

Wow! I had no idea I was so popular!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
>> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas grill
>> even wrapped in foil.

> Why don't you believe us when we suggest that? Don't you think we've done
> it many times?

Because the wet chips in the cast iron smoker box burn on the heated
side of the grill?

When I empty my little vented cast iron box after it has cooled, there
isn't much in it but black ashes. I just made the assumption that chips
of wood, even wrapped in foil, would get hot enough to combust (is that
a word?) if placed directly over a gas fire. If I'm wrong, then I'm
most sincerely sorry.

I have no doubt that the foil-wrapping would be quite successful in a
smoker that is designed for chips or chunks of fragrant wood.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:17:08 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
>> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
>> grill even wrapped in foil.

> If you small chunks of wood, wrapped tightly in heavy duty foil,
> and punch exactly one hole in it, they won't catch fire.
>
> If you punch two holes in it, it can create a draft inside the
> foil as part of the wood disintegrates and they can sometimes
> catch fire.
>
> -sw

Aha! So that's how to keep it from burning. Now what about chips? Would
chips wrapped in foil with only one hole not burn?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be
>>> he'pful.

>> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.

> Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and help
> that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

I thanked you for your help. It was your unsolicited opinion that I was
some kind of lazy or stupid newbie that I found a tad offensive. If your
advice always comes with personal criticism, I guess I can find advice
that is just as good which comes with civility.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

davebugg wrote:
> On Dec 22, 12:12 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>>> Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and help
>>> that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

>> Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying to
>> learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

> Cut her a little slack??? I provided answers to her questions, guided
> her
> to the FAQ, and pointed her to the archives so that she would know
> that this
> source of information existed just in case she wanted to do further
> research. What
> do I get for my trouble? A kick in the teeth. Perhaps the newbie
> should get
> an attitude check.

Dave, I did thank you for the FAQ link, but your ego was too bruised to
see that part.

I might be a newbie to this group (have lurked for about 6 months), but
I'm most certainly not a newbie to Usenet and have kicked as much sand
back as has been kicked at me.

I find flame wars amusing, so if you want to play, entertain me.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Hi Janet,
>>>
>>> As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
>>> dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather
>>> than
>>> soaking them.
>>>

>> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
>> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas grill
>> even wrapped in foil.

> Those chips need oxygen to burn. When you wrap them in foil and poke 2 or 3
> holes in the foil all it will do is smoke (hopefully)
> Poke the holes with something like an ice pick or that size.

Ah! (the light dawns) I am beginning to comprehend.

Okay folks, the next time I smoke baby backs on my gasser, I shall
indeed try the chips in the foil.

Thanks to all who have been patient with my comprehension based upon
limited experience and lack of attention in HS science classes <g>
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:

> Janet Wilder was also a character in Romancing The Stone

That's Joan Wilder. Lots of people confuse us. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>>> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their
>>> assistance.

>> Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and
>> help that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.
>>

> I thanked you for your help. It was your unsolicited opinion that I
> was some kind of lazy or stupid newbie that I found a tad offensive.

It wasn't offered in that tone at all. I don't see where I even suggested
that you were lazy or stupid. At most, I'm guilty of assuming you were a
newbie and thought that you might benefit from the knowledge that an archive
existed. How you arrived at the fact that that was a hostile act is beyond
me.

> If your advice always comes with personal criticism, I guess I can
> find advice that is just as good which comes with civility.

My advice didn't come with personal criticism. You saw a lack of civility
where none existed. <shaking head>

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> davebugg wrote:
>>> Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying
>>> to learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

>> Cut her a little slack??? I provided answers to her questions,
>> guided her
>> to the FAQ, and pointed her to the archives so that she would know
>> that this
>> source of information existed just in case she wanted to do further
>> research. What
>> do I get for my trouble? A kick in the teeth. Perhaps the newbie
>> should get
>> an attitude check.
>>

> Dave, I did thank you for the FAQ link, but your ego was too bruised
> to see that part.

Nothing was bruised, just trying to figure out how helping someone could
possibly be seen in the way you have twisted it into a negative.

> I might be a newbie to this group (have lurked for about 6 months),
> but I'm most certainly not a newbie to Usenet and have kicked as much
> sand back as has been kicked at me.

That's what I don't get; just how was I kicking sand at you?

> I find flame wars amusing, so if you want to play, entertain me.

Wow; this is really something and just furthers my puzzlement. Just who is
kicking sand at whom? You see this as a flame war?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Big Jim wrote:
>

>> Janet Wilder was also a character in Romancing The Stone

> That's Joan Wilder. Lots of people confuse us. <g>
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Well I could have swore you was Her.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Big Jim wrote:
>>
>>> Janet Wilder was also a character in Romancing The Stone

>> That's Joan Wilder. Lots of people confuse us. <g>

> Well I could have swore you was Her.

She was a fictional character. I might be "legendary" <vbg> but hardly
fictional. Both of us write.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Ah! (the light dawns) I am beginning to comprehend.
>>
>> Okay folks, the next time I smoke baby backs on my gasser, I shall
>> indeed try the chips in the foil.
>>
>> Thanks to all who have been patient with my comprehension based upon
>> limited experience and lack of attention in HS science classes <g>

> One thing I noticed you saying was you put the wood chips OVER the fire. No
> wonder they burn up quickly. Put em beside the fire when they can warm
> slowly and give off nice smoke.
>
> And, if I may add, get rid of the soaked chips. Go for 1 or 2 fist-sized
> wood chunks in the foil. And, don't soak em in water.
>
> -frohe

Thanks. I will try that.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> davebugg wrote:

> I find flame wars amusing, so if you want to play, entertain me.

Woo EEEh! You come to the right group for that, gal! Please don't encourage
it over at alt.binaries.food, though! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>>

>> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
>> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
>> grill even wrapped in foil.

> Why don't you believe us when we suggest that? Don't you think we've done
> it many times?

Nothing like noob to tell you what to do, Ed.

Harry
slowly resurfacing into the World again.

BTW: Q & Baking is OK on Vancouver Island at 300 ft above sea level when
I've been working at 3700ft in Calgary.
Making wine is a different story.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't have as much success with chips since you can't wrap them
> as tightly. The only thing I use chips for is grilling. Perfect
> size chunks are 2" x 2". If you get bigger ones, hack then down
> with a hatchet.

On the other hand.... you have more fingers.

Janet commented that her friend had an offset smoker similar to a New
Braunfels. That's what I have also. I am still learning. Of course,
as long as I'm living, I'm learning.

The offset smokers have nice large fire boxes. Just right for burning
wood. Not shavings. Not chips. Not chunks. Wood. I get wood that is
about fireplace size and split. Sizes vary.

A bit of lump starts things going and as soon as the lump is burning, I
put a log or two on the lump. After that, it's just wood.

I don't have a good source of hardwood, so I use Aspen, which burns very
much like hardwood. Nice clean smell.

The FAQ has a number of suggestions for modifying this sort of smoker.
I've put a few in place, and will do a few more sooner or later. They
help. The best three are extending the smoke stack down to the grate
level, sealing the silly think so it will stop leaking smoke and heat
out of every opening, and putting a baffle between the firebox and the
smoking chamber.

As everyone here seems to agree, open the exhaust stack wide open. I
shoot for about 25 to 50F hotter than I want the meat to be when I'm
done barbecuing it. I used to obsess about spikes, now I don't, and
oddly enough I get fewer of them.

I'm about to move to the Denton, Texas area and will be leaving my
smoker here and getting a new one there. SWMBO says something about
everything in the moving van smelling like smoke if we move it. And it
wasn't all that expensive.

Any suggestions as to what I should get next time around? Right now,
we're empty nesters, but we do entertain so capacity could be a
consideration.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Berber Saying Of The Day:
Death is the black camel that kneels before every door.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> >> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
> >> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
> >> grill
> >> even wrapped in foil.

> > Why don't you believe us when we suggest that? Don't you think we've
> > done
> > it many times?
> >

> Because the wet chips in the cast iron smoker box burn on the heated
> side of the grill?
>
> When I empty my little vented cast iron box after it has cooled, there
> isn't much in it but black ashes. I just made the assumption that chips
> of wood, even wrapped in foil, would get hot enough to combust (is that
> a word?) if placed directly over a gas fire. If I'm wrong, then I'm
> most sincerely sorry.

They DO get hot enough to combust Janet, but since they are deprived
of oxygen they cannot burn. Consequently they produce the desired
smoke without contributing to the heat of the cooking chamber. The
residue left when they are thoroughly baked is black ash. If you use
larger chunks wrapped in foil you will end up with chunks of black
charcoil. Wood that has burned rusults in grey ash.

> I have no doubt that the foil-wrapping would be quite successful in a
> smoker that is designed for chips or chunks of fragrant wood.

The design of the cooking appliance doesn't have much to do with
the successful production of smoke without fire except in such case
where there is insufficient heat to reach combustion temperature.
Most gas grills will readily produce smoke. Grills such as mine will
sacrifice a small amount of grill area to accomodate the smoke
device/gizmo/box as mine doesn't incorporate a smoke box feature.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Well, how far is Denton (not me, the town in Texas <yes, Denton's my
> actual name>) from Houston?

'bout 300 miles or so.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Janet Wilder wrote:
> vex wrote:

>> Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO
>> member?

> Former TTN member. I gave it back to them last March.

Ahhh.. Good on ya. I'm about ready to do the same thing.

Happy trails,
--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Dec-2007, Mike Avery > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > I don't have as much success with chips since you can't wrap them
> > as tightly. The only thing I use chips for is grilling. Perfect
> > size chunks are 2" x 2". If you get bigger ones, hack then down
> > with a hatchet.
> >

> On the other hand.... you have more fingers.
>
> Janet commented that her friend had an offset smoker similar to a New
> Braunfels. That's what I have also. I am still learning. Of course,
> as long as I'm living, I'm learning.
>
> The offset smokers have nice large fire boxes. Just right for burning
> wood. Not shavings. Not chips. Not chunks. Wood. I get wood that is
> about fireplace size and split. Sizes vary.
>
> A bit of lump starts things going and as soon as the lump is burning, I
> put a log or two on the lump. After that, it's just wood.
>
> I don't have a good source of hardwood, so I use Aspen, which burns very
> much like hardwood. Nice clean smell.
>
> The FAQ has a number of suggestions for modifying this sort of smoker.
> I've put a few in place, and will do a few more sooner or later. They
> help. The best three are extending the smoke stack down to the grate
> level, sealing the silly think so it will stop leaking smoke and heat
> out of every opening, and putting a baffle between the firebox and the
> smoking chamber.
>
> As everyone here seems to agree, open the exhaust stack wide open. I
> shoot for about 25 to 50F hotter than I want the meat to be when I'm
> done barbecuing it. I used to obsess about spikes, now I don't, and
> oddly enough I get fewer of them.
>
> I'm about to move to the Denton, Texas area and will be leaving my
> smoker here and getting a new one there. SWMBO says something about
> everything in the moving van smelling like smoke if we move it. And it
> wasn't all that expensive.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I should get next time around? Right now,
> we're empty nesters, but we do entertain so capacity could be a
> consideration.
>
> Mike

Mike, I'm currently cooking on/in a New Braunfels Silver Smoker
of about 400 Sq In. I can do 2 butts and about 4 slabs of rib s at
the same time. I stack the ribs in an overlap fashion and shuffle
them periodically. Of course I dould do more with racks and
such.

I think you'd appreciate a Klose 2040 (20 X 40) offset. That's
where I'm going next.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kevin wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Well, how far is Denton (not me, the town in Texas <yes, Denton's my
>> actual name>) from Houston?
>>

> 'bout 300 miles or so.

I was about to say. "NO WAY!!! It's only 200 or so!" However, when I
was doing a lot of driving in that area, it was between Dallas and
Huntsville..... which is about 180. Still, by Texas standards, 300
miles isn't all that far.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

A Randomly Selected Berber Saying Of The Day:
It's like trying to dunk a donut by grasping it by the ears.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Dec-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:13:25 -0700, Mike Avery
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm about to move to the Denton, Texas area and will be leaving my
> >smoker here and getting a new one there. SWMBO says something about
> >everything in the moving van smelling like smoke if we move it. And it
> >wasn't all that expensive.
> >
> >Any suggestions as to what I should get next time around? Right now,
> >we're empty nesters, but we do entertain so capacity could be a
> >consideration.

> Well, how far is Denton (not me, the town in Texas <yes, Denton's my
> actual name>) from Houston? Reason I ask is that Klose is in Houston.
> *GOOD* offsets. Or other designs. Some highly spendy, some not so
> much.
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-

Tejas Smokers is also located in Houston. Another good choice to consider
if you like to comparison shop.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Mike Avery wrote:
>> I was about to say. "NO WAY!!! It's only 200 or so!" However, when I
>> was doing a lot of driving in that area, it was between Dallas and
>> Huntsville..... which is about 180. Still, by Texas standards, 300
>> miles isn't all that far.

> Huntsville's north of Houston.
>
> -frohe

175 miles on I-45. That's around the freekin' corner by Texas standards.

Janet, 355 miles south of Houston.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> Mike, I'm currently cooking on/in a New Braunfels Silver Smoker
> of about 400 Sq In. I can do 2 butts and about 4 slabs of rib s at
> the same time. I stack the ribs in an overlap fashion and shuffle
> them periodically. Of course I dould do more with racks and
> such.
>
> I think you'd appreciate a Klose 2040 (20 X 40) offset. That's
> where I'm going next.

I have the Charbroil version of the Silver Smoker. After mods, I'm
pretty happy with it.

Yeah, I'd appreciate the Klose 2040.... dang, I should - it costs more
than any of about 1/2 the cars I've ever owned, and more than two of my
cars put together. (I should have a bumper sticker that reads, "My
other car is a piece of junk too.")

Have you looked at the Tejas smokers? They seem to do more of a
production line thing with a more limited number of smokers, which
should reduce the labor involved in each one. They say they make a good
smoker (who ever advertises they make junk?). A comparable (maybe)
smoker from them is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Klose. Which is
still pricey compared to the Silver Smoker.

Heck, at those prices it's worth buying a welding torch... either to
save money on your own or to start selling the things.

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> frohe wrote:
> > Mike Avery wrote:
> >> I was about to say. "NO WAY!!! It's only 200 or so!" However, when I
> >> was doing a lot of driving in that area, it was between Dallas and
> >> Huntsville..... which is about 180. Still, by Texas standards, 300
> >> miles isn't all that far.

> > Huntsville's north of Houston.
> >
> > -frohe
> >

> 175 miles on I-45. That's around the freekin' corner by Texas standards.
>
> Janet, 355 miles south of Houston.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
..

>> Janet, 355 miles south of Houston.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is about
350 miles.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 23-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

>> frohe wrote:
>>> Huntsville's north of Houston.
>>>
>>> -frohe
>>>

>> 175 miles on I-45. That's around the freekin' corner by Texas standards.
>>
>> Janet, 355 miles south of Houston.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

Well it's really southwest because of the "coastal bend" But more than
half of the trip is due south <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> .
>>> Janet, 355 miles south of Houston.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder

>> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
>> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is about
> 350 miles.

Not near Laredo. I live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley about 20 miles up
river from the Gulf of Mexico and about 4 miles north of the Rio Grande.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Dec-2007, Mike Avery > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > Mike, I'm currently cooking on/in a New Braunfels Silver Smoker
> > of about 400 Sq In. I can do 2 butts and about 4 slabs of rib s at
> > the same time. I stack the ribs in an overlap fashion and shuffle
> > them periodically. Of course I dould do more with racks and
> > such.
> >
> > I think you'd appreciate a Klose 2040 (20 X 40) offset. That's
> > where I'm going next.
> >

> I have the Charbroil version of the Silver Smoker. After mods, I'm
> pretty happy with it.
>
> Yeah, I'd appreciate the Klose 2040.... dang, I should - it costs more
> than any of about 1/2 the cars I've ever owned, and more than two of my
> cars put together. (I should have a bumper sticker that reads, "My
> other car is a piece of junk too.")
>
> Have you looked at the Tejas smokers? They seem to do more of a
> production line thing with a more limited number of smokers, which
> should reduce the labor involved in each one. They say they make a good
> smoker (who ever advertises they make junk?). A comparable (maybe)
> smoker from them is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Klose. Which is
> still pricey compared to the Silver Smoker.
>
> Heck, at those prices it's worth buying a welding torch... either to
> save money on your own or to start selling the things.
>
> Mike

I'm glad you're happy with your particular Silver Smoker. The first few that
Charbroil manufactured weren't too bad. The one's I'm seeing lately, I
wouldn't
drag home on a bet.

Yes I'm familar with the Tejas smokers. Our late friend Cuchelain "Hound"
Libby
cooked with one. I just posted a note suggesting the Tejas for anybody
seriously
shopping for a smoker.

What I really need to do is take my sandblaster to my NB Silver and clean it

up a little and put some new paint on it. I got it a little hot a time or
two and
turned it into a rust bucket.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> .

>>> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
>>> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

>> Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is
>> about 350 miles.
>>

> Not near Laredo. I live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley about 20 miles up
> river from the Gulf of Mexico and about 4 miles north of the Rio Grande.

Brownsville, or Harlingen?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
>>> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.
>>> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

>> Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is
>> about 350 miles.

> Follow the Texas coastline. Puts her down around Brownsville.
>
> -frohe

We have a winner! :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>>> .

>>> Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is
>>> about 350 miles.
>>>

>> Not near Laredo. I live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley about 20 miles
>> up river from the Gulf of Mexico and about 4 miles north of the Rio
>> Grande.
>>

> Brownsville, or Harlingen?

Harlingen.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Not near Laredo. I live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley about 20 miles
>>> up river from the Gulf of Mexico and about 4 miles north of the Rio
>>> Grande.
>>>

>> Brownsville, or Harlingen?

> Harlingen.

Nice place. I have some friends there.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Dec-2007, "frohe" > wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> >> My atlas shows 355 mi south of Houston to be about 330
> >> miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.
> >> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> > Maybe she lives on a houseboat. Or she meant southwest. Laredo is
> > about 350 miles.

> Follow the Texas coastline. Puts her down around Brownsville.
>
> -frohe

Brownsville is close. I would say Harlingen.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Shawn Martin wrote:

>>> Brownsville, or Harlingen?

>> Harlingen.
>>

> Nice place. I have some friends there.

I do too. :-)
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I thank one and all for the valuable assistance. We have decided not to do
>the pork butt as neighbor doesn't want to "babysit" a piece of meat for
>that long.

snip
--
> Janet Wilder

For the next time,

I'd turn the grills so they go long ways, front to back which places them up
as high as they will go. On the inside of the cooker near where the opening
is - coming in from the fire box, I'd stack bricks to create a wall about
12-14 inches away from the opening, going up as high as you can coming just
below the grills. This will shield the meat from direct line of sight of the
coals. I'd place 1 starter can of unlit charcoal between the brick wall and
the firebox hole, then I'd place 1/3 starter can of lit charcoal on top of
the unlit charcoal. Have this done and ready to go: Rub butt anyway you
wish, salt N pepper or a more sophisticated rub if you wish. Make sure butt
is close to room temperature. Set butt in the center of grills between brick
wall and farthest (chimney stack end) wall. Shove in a thermometer and walk
away. When the temp indicator hits whatever you want, take it out. Using the
firebox is a pain and takes too much time and fuss if you ask me, not that
that's bad but if you want easy, forget the firebox.

Michael2095

Pork Butt! Sky General Cooking 15 06-10-2012 07:58 AM
I have a pork butt in the crock pot. ImStillMags General Cooking 53 02-01-2012 12:00 AM
Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 09:24 PM