Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Default Let the dry aging begin

Yesterday was 10 days out from xmas, which is about the time I
usually start dry aging the beef for the festivities.

For the roast this year I went with a choice grade 12 lb strip
loin. I normally use these for steaks but they also make for a
great carved meat platter. I'll pull it from the fridge
on game day, rub it with some olive oil and s&p, then
give it a quick sear on the grill. Then light smoke in a
250 F cookshack to about 125 F internal.

For the non-carnivores... this is California and we've
got a lot of pseudo vegetarians who seem to believe that
while it's evil to kill cows, those fish on the other hand,
well, they're just asking to get killed. For them we'll serve
seared ahi tuna sliced thin, served cold, with 3 sauces.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...
> Yesterday was 10 days out from xmas, which is about the time I
> usually start dry aging the beef for the festivities.
>
> For the roast this year I went with a choice grade 12 lb strip
> loin. I normally use these for steaks but they also make for a
> great carved meat platter. I'll pull it from the fridge
> on game day, rub it with some olive oil and s&p, then
> give it a quick sear on the grill. Then light smoke in a
> 250 F cookshack to about 125 F internal.
>
> For the non-carnivores... this is California and we've
> got a lot of pseudo vegetarians who seem to believe that
> while it's evil to kill cows, those fish on the other hand,
> well, they're just asking to get killed. For them we'll serve
> seared ahi tuna sliced thin, served cold, with 3 sauces.

that sounds most excellent--am already suffering xmas overload here--kids
have already strarted showing up for the new years weekend--they wonder why
I drink!!
Buzz

> --
> Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'll probably smoke a 5-8lb rib roast from CostCo (there'll only
> be 4 of us, and 2 cats). Not sure if it'll be boned or not yet,
> but I know it's going to be pretty rare all the way through.

I hear good things about the costco rib roasts. Choice
grade, I take it?

I would have checked it out myself but it's a scary time of
the year to be downtown

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:37:23 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I'll probably smoke a 5-8lb rib roast from CostCo (there'll only
>>> be 4 of us, and 2 cats). Not sure if it'll be boned or not yet,
>>> but I know it's going to be pretty rare all the way through.

>> I hear good things about the costco rib roasts. Choice
>> grade, I take it?

> They usually have Prime for the holidays @ ~$10/lb. Usually they
> just have medium-top Choice. I think the beef at the Northern CA
> CostCo stores was better than what we get here in TX.
>
> -sw

Costco standing rib roasts are bone in[much preferred] during holiday time,
and boneless the rest of the year. For some unknown reason the bone in roast
tastes better. Most importantly, it gives you the drippings underneath to
use for the Yorkshire pudding.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:43:31 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>> For the roast this year I went with a choice grade 12 lb strip
>> loin. I normally use these for steaks but they also make for a
>> great carved meat platter. I'll pull it from the fridge
>> on game day, rub it with some olive oil and s&p, then
>> give it a quick sear on the grill. Then light smoke in a
>> 250 F cookshack to about 125 F internal.

> I'll probably smoke a 5-8lb rib roast from CostCo (there'll only
> be 4 of us, and 2 cats). Not sure if it'll be boned or not yet,
> but I know it's going to be pretty rare all the way through.
>
> The strip sounds good, but I can usually only buy those whole.
>
> -sw

Do you sear the cut edges by starting at a high temp., or do you roast at a
low temp. from beginning to end? What do you do with the cut edges before
you start? I slather them with either salt pork fat, or bacon fat.

Kent

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:20:33 -0800, Kent wrote:
>
>> Do you sear the cut edges by starting at a high temp., or do you
>> roast at a low temp. from beginning to end? What do you do with the
>> cut edges before you start? I slather them with either salt pork
>> fat, or bacon fat.

> I rub it with coarse black pepper, granulated onion and garlic,
> and a touch of thyme. Start it at 525-550F for 20 minutes, then
> down to 250F for the duration. I've never had a reason to lard
> up the ends.

Same here.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:20:33 -0800, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Do you sear the cut edges by starting at a high temp., or do you
>>> roast at a low temp. from beginning to end? What do you do with the
>>> cut edges before you start? I slather them with either salt pork
>>> fat, or bacon fat.

>> I rub it with coarse black pepper, granulated onion and garlic,
>> and a touch of thyme. Start it at 525-550F for 20 minutes, then
>> down to 250F for the duration. I've never had a reason to lard
>> up the ends.

> Same here.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Several years ago a recipe I read for standing rib said to slather the cut
end with bacon fat. I tried it and find that seals the cut edge, and the
meat cooks without evaporation of the water portion of the end of the cut
meat. Now I do that routinely. You don't need more than a molecule of fat on
the surface to accomplish this. Canola oil, or SPAM works, not only for
standing rib, but for steaks or any meat where you're concerned about drying
out of the cut end. After dry rub I apply it to baby back ribs, almost
sacreligious, I suppose, but it makes for a juicier piece of meat.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I rub it with coarse black pepper, granulated onion and garlic,
>>> and a touch of thyme. Start it at 525-550F for 20 minutes, then
>>> down to 250F for the duration. I've never had a reason to lard
>>> up the ends.

>> Same here.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com
>>

> Several years ago a recipe I read for standing rib said to slather
> the cut end with bacon fat. I tried it and find that seals the cut
> edge,

I have a hard time imagining that it would have much effect, given that the
fat would turn liquid and quickly melt to the bottom of the pan. I can't
begin to imagine, given how moist and succulent they have all turned out,
that any of the rib roasts I've cooked could be any mositure. They are so
well marbled to begin with, and have a good fat cap on top which continually
bastes the meat as it roasts.

> snip ..... After dry rub
> I apply it to baby back ribs, almost sacreligious, I suppose, but it
> makes for a juicier piece of meat.

I have to gently disagree about it making the meat moister.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:37:23 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I'll probably smoke a 5-8lb rib roast from CostCo (there'll only
>>> be 4 of us, and 2 cats). Not sure if it'll be boned or not yet,
>>> but I know it's going to be pretty rare all the way through.

>> I hear good things about the costco rib roasts. Choice
>> grade, I take it?

> They usually have Prime for the holidays @ ~$10/lb. Usually they
> just have medium-top Choice. I think the beef at the Northern CA
> CostCo stores was better than what we get here in TX.
>
> -sw

USDA Prime standing rib at Costco in the East Bay was $13.99/lb!!!! The
tightwad cerebral synapses fired away. We opted for USDA Choice for
$7.99/lb. Both were bone in. They had great looking N.Y. strips for
$7.99/lb. as well.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Kent wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:37:23 GMT, Reg wrote:
>>
>>>I hear good things about the costco rib roasts. Choice
>>>grade, I take it?

>>They usually have Prime for the holidays @ ~$10/lb. Usually they
>>just have medium-top Choice. I think the beef at the Northern CA
>>CostCo stores was better than what we get here in TX.
>>

> USDA Prime standing rib at Costco in the East Bay was $13.99/lb!!!! The
> tightwad cerebral synapses fired away. We opted for USDA Choice for
> $7.99/lb. Both were bone in. They had great looking N.Y. strips for
> $7.99/lb. as well.

Yes that's a little closer to the prices I've heard about
at the SF location. Feeling a little cheap this year
(especially since there's no family coming this xmas, just
friends) I went with a strip roast at $6.98 from my favorite
resto supply place. It's gonna be good but at a reasonable
price.

--
Reg

US steak houses, wet aging v. dry aging. PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 7 13-06-2009 11:59 PM
Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle jim Winemaking 12 04-09-2007 10:42 PM
And So We Begin... Brian Mailman[_1_] Preserving 17 25-03-2007 08:41 PM
How To Begin? Serendip Tea 8 20-02-2005 06:44 PM
Where to begin? § Lauksna § Wine 19 04-01-2004 01:13 PM