Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default HELP: re-heating bbq'd pork, turkey

By necessity, I had to bbq a pork shoulder and a small, spatchcocked
turkey yesterday, to serve today. Both came out very good. I wrapped
them in foil and towels, let them sit for 3-40 mins, then put them in
the refrigerator.

The question is this: What's the best way to re-heat to serve?
Microwave? Oven? Should I pull the cold pork first, then re-heat?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default re-heating bbq'd pork, turkey

For pork butts, I smoke, FTC for an hour, then pull them beforehand. It
pulls much easier hot than cold. After it is pulled, what isn't going to be
eaten immediately gets vacuum sealed into several bags and put in the
refrigerator/freezer for later. Then when you want to re-heat it, simply
boil a large pot of water, and drop the vacuum sealed bag into the boiling
water and wait a few minutes. Comes out as hot and moist as it was
originally.

A crock pot also works well to re-heat pulled pork if you don't have a
vacuum sealer. If you need to add a bit of moisture while re-heating, apple
juice works well for this.

good luck,

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> By necessity, I had to bbq a pork shoulder and a small, spatchcocked
> turkey yesterday, to serve today. Both came out very good. I wrapped
> them in foil and towels, let them sit for 3-40 mins, then put them in
> the refrigerator.
>
> The question is this: What's the best way to re-heat to serve?
> Microwave? Oven? Should I pull the cold pork first, then re-heat?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Matt wrote:
> For pork butts, I smoke, FTC for an hour, then pull them beforehand. It
> pulls much easier hot than cold. After it is pulled, what isn't going to be
> eaten immediately gets vacuum sealed into several bags and put in the
> refrigerator/freezer for later. Then when you want to re-heat it, simply
> boil a large pot of water, and drop the vacuum sealed bag into the boiling
> water and wait a few minutes. Comes out as hot and moist as it was
> originally.

ya beat me to it. But I wholeheartedly agree. That's the
best way to warm up most anything.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> By necessity, I had to bbq a pork shoulder and a small, spatchcocked
> turkey yesterday, to serve today. Both came out very good. I wrapped
> them in foil and towels, let them sit for 3-40 mins, then put them in
> the refrigerator.
>
> The question is this: What's the best way to re-heat to serve?
> Microwave? Oven? Should I pull the cold pork first, then re-heat?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

Pork will be OK if you microwave it gently. Use 75% power or less.

The turkey will lose skin texture so a slow oven will work. If you don't
care about the skin, the mw is ok for that also.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> Personally I don't like the texture change I get from the nuke when
> heating
> from cold.

If you are getting texture change, you are not doing it as well as it can
be. Most often, it is from heating too fast and/or too hot. Of course,
other methods work too so choose what you like.