Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default country ham

One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
lack of places selling country ham. A couple years back, I actually
went on a quest to find some and finally did- at $20/# in a
yuppie/gourmet meat market. Then, the small quantity I bought was
terrible. I get catalogs from the good folks in VA, but have never been
hungry enough for it to pay their price, either. Back in Raleigh, it
was bubble packed and on racks in the meat section of all the stores,
but out here the quiche eaters from California <grin> don't even know
what it is.

I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of
it- out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone have a
good technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips for
morning biscuits?

---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
> lack of places selling country ham.

> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun
> of it- out of something readily available- a butt roast.

If I were going to, I'd look at using a picnic. It's more like "real
ham" than a butt. I have no technique advice, sorry.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of
>> it- out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone
>> have a good technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips
>> for morning biscuits?

> from frohe's recipe files
> 8 lb salt
>
> 2 lb sugar
>
> 2 oz saltpeter
>

> Prepare the mixture with extreme care. Take half of it and put the rest
> aside. Use the half you have taken to rub the meat very thoroughly all over,
> rind sides as well. Stuff salt hard into the holes where the bones come out
> in the hams and into any cavities. Success lies in getting salt into the
> meat quickly, it's a race between salt & bacteria. If the latter win, you
> may lose an awful lot of valuable meat. Unless the weather is too warm, 36°F
> or 2°C is ideal but don't let the meat freeze, if you follow these
> instructions, the bacteria won't win. Cover all surfaces with the salt and
> leave on a salting tray, or a shelf, or in a box (with holes to let the
> pickle - the juices drawn out by the salt- to drain away, with all the
> joints carefully packed on top of each other. Be careful when doing this
> first salting to put roughly the right amounts of salt on each piece; not
> too much on the thinner bacon sides, but plenty on the hams. After three
> days give another good rubbing with half the remainder of the salt (ie 1/4
> of the whole). Put the meat back in a different order to ensure even
> distribution of the salt all round. After another week, haul it out again
> and rub well with the last of the salt mixture. Put it back. Now leave it in
> the salt for 2 days per lb for big joints such as ham, and 1 1/2 days per
> pound for small joints and bacon. If you calculate on roughly a fortnight
> for a big side of bacon and three weeks ofr a large ham, you won't be far
> wrong. Take the joints out at the allotted time, scrub them lightly with
> warm water to get the loose salt off, string them and hang them up for a
> week or a fortnight in a cool dry place. Then either smoke them or not as
> the fancy takes you.
>

> Recipe from "The Complete book of Self Sufficiency" by John Seymour

Printed out and saved. Thanks

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of
>> it- out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone
>> have a good technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips
>> for morning biscuits?

> from frohe's recipe files
> 8 lb salt
>
> 2 lb sugar
>
> 2 oz saltpeter

By the way, it that just table salt, Kosher salt or rock salt? Also, is
there any "test" for whether the bacteria or salt won, other than
feeding a slice to someone you don't care for? <grin>

Another thing that comes to mind would be slicing pork (picnic, butt or
even chops) and layering them with salt/sugar- aka Country Ham fashion.
Since the end product will be ham chips for in ham biscuits with eggs
at breakfast, the size, shape or even texture is less important than the
good flavor of a smoked piece of salt pork.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Nonnymus wrote:

> One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
> lack of places selling country ham. A couple years back, I actually
> went on a quest to find some and finally did- at $20/# in a
> yuppie/gourmet meat market. Then, the small quantity I bought was
> terrible. I get catalogs from the good folks in VA, but have never been
> hungry enough for it to pay their price, either. Back in Raleigh, it
> was bubble packed and on racks in the meat section of all the stores,
> but out here the quiche eaters from California <grin> don't even know
> what it is.

Well put. And very true.

> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of
> it- out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone have a
> good technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips for
> morning biscuits?

---Observation by my son

Real country ham is dry cured, and decent commercial versions go
through a drying phase for many months. Up to a year. However,
you can do good dry cured pork it in as little as 30-45 days
with a recipe like this:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/coppa.pdf

I always give it a cold smoke after curing. Yes, it's worth all
the effort. Good for you for wanting to try it.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ joint recommendations in Denton, Tx?

Much to my surprise, I am in Denton, Tx.

Does anyone have any recommendations about BBQ joints in the area?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>
> > One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
> > lack of places selling country ham.

> > I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun
> > of it- out of something readily available- a butt roast.

> If I were going to, I'd look at using a picnic. It's more like "real
> ham" than a butt. I have no technique advice, sorry.

"Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing," by Rytek Kultas, p.386.

http://tinyurl.com/2hdtgx

HTH

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Dec-2007, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote:
> > Nonnymus wrote:
> >
> > > One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
> > > lack of places selling country ham.

> > > I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun
> > > of it- out of something readily available- a butt roast.

> > If I were going to, I'd look at using a picnic. It's more like "real
> > ham" than a butt. I have no technique advice, sorry.

> "Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing," by Rytek Kultas, p.386.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2hdtgx
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Nick.

I quit right there were it says to "Artery" pump the ham to 8% of
weight with the listed cure. You have to know where those arteries
are and be able to find them in order to do that.

Neither will I try to duplicate a "Smithfield" ham. I lost track of
my three story smokehouse somewhere along the line. Damned
if I can remember who I loaned it to.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote\\

snip

> Another thing that comes to mind would be slicing pork (picnic, butt or
> even chops) and layering them with salt/sugar- aka Country Ham fashion.
> Since the end product will be ham chips for in ham biscuits with eggs
> at breakfast, the size, shape or even texture is less important than the
> good flavor of a smoked piece of salt pork.
>
> Nonny

If you go that route, you will end up too salty. The dry rub is
designed very concentrated as it has to penetrate some 4 inches of meat
(in some cases)

If you are going to pre-slice, use a brine instead. 1 tsp instacure for
gallon of water, add salt until is tastes just a bit too salty (about
seawater)

Other spices to taste, then dry it in a food dehydrator.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:
> Much to my surprise, I am in Denton, Tx.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations about BBQ joints in the area?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

15 miles south in I-35 to Lake Dallas, Tx.
west service road. I don't remember the name, but has a pig shaped
smoker in front.

Pretty good Q, las time I was there. 3-4 years ago.

Pic in ABF for id.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 14, 9:24 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:09:32 -0800, Nonnymus wrote:
> > One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
> > lack of places selling country ham. A couple years back, I actually
> > went on a quest to find some and finally did- at $20/# in a
> > yuppie/gourmet meat market. Then, the small quantity I bought was
> > terrible.

> Try 99 Ranch Market. They sell them (Smithfield) as an
> alternative to Yunan Hams as those are not allowed to be imported
> to the US.
>
> The 99 Ranch Markets in CA carry them whole or in 1" slices, for
> $2.49/nb last I saw them there.
>
> =sw

Nonny,

Short of making your own or ordering from the big boys, why not go to
a breakfast joint in LV like this one http://www.usmenuguide.com/mabarkersbreakfast.html

Looks like they've got the country ham part down; if you can put up
with all the faux ma barker ambience crap they dole up; might be worth
going in there for a quick fix.
They might even sell you a few pounds to take home to Mrs. Nonny.
non?

Pierre
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the lack
> of places selling country ham. A couple years back, I actually went on a
> quest to find some and finally did- at $20/# in a yuppie/gourmet meat
> market. Then, the small quantity I bought was terrible. I get catalogs
> from the good folks in VA, but have never been hungry enough for it to pay
> their price, either. Back in Raleigh, it was bubble packed and on racks
> in the meat section of all the stores, but out here the quiche eaters from
> California <grin> don't even know what it is.
>
> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of it-
> out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone have a good
> technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips for morning
> biscuits?

I think it's pretty tough to make your own, unless you want to hang a whole
pork leg for a year plus. In your area go to:
http://www.99ranch.com/StoreLocator.asp?Store=All
Ranch 99 has country hams at a reasonable price. The store in Lost Wages,
however is independantly owned.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...
> Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> One of the big disappointments of living out here in Las Vegas is the
>> lack of places selling country ham. A couple years back, I actually went
>> on a quest to find some and finally did- at $20/# in a yuppie/gourmet
>> meat market. Then, the small quantity I bought was terrible. I get
>> catalogs from the good folks in VA, but have never been hungry enough for
>> it to pay their price, either. Back in Raleigh, it was bubble packed and
>> on racks in the meat section of all the stores, but out here the quiche
>> eaters from California <grin> don't even know what it is.
>>

> Well put. And very true.
>
>> I'm tempted to see if I can make a small quantity- just for the fun of
>> it- out of something readily available- a butt roast. Does anyone have a
>> good technique to make a country ham I could slice into chips for morning
>> biscuits?

> ---Observation by my son
>
> Real country ham is dry cured, and decent commercial versions go
> through a drying phase for many months. Up to a year. However,
> you can do good dry cured pork it in as little as 30-45 days
> with a recipe like this:
>
> http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/coppa.pdf
>
> I always give it a cold smoke after curing. Yes, it's worth all
> the effort. Good for you for wanting to try it.
>
> --
> Reg

I've always wanted to do this. Reg, do you cook this, or can you eat it
raw, like proscuitto? What do you use to stuff?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Kent wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> . net...
>

>>Real country ham is dry cured, and decent commercial versions go
>>through a drying phase for many months. Up to a year. However,
>>you can do good dry cured pork it in as little as 30-45 days
>>with a recipe like this:
>>
>>http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/coppa.pdf
>>
>>I always give it a cold smoke after curing. Yes, it's worth all
>>the effort. Good for you for wanting to try it.
>>

> I've always wanted to do this. Reg, do you cook this, or can you eat it
> raw, like proscuitto? What do you use to stuff?

Kent,

It is very much Like prosciutto. You can eat it raw for sure,
but you can also use it in all kinds of cooked dishes. I'm using
it in a cooked appetizer for xmas, for instance. Slices of
toasted baguette layered with brie and thinly sliced cured
pork, baked off then dotted with apple butter. All kinds
of possibilities.

I initially stuffed them in bungs, there are other choices.
You can use the large artificial casings, or you can go without
casings at all. They're for appearance as much as anything.
They'll cure and serve up just fine tied with cotton string.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:52:39 -0800 (PST), Pierre wrote:
>
>> Short of making your own or ordering from the big boys, why not go to
>> a breakfast joint in LV like this one http://www.usmenuguide.com/mabarkersbreakfast.html
>>
>> Looks like they've got the country ham part down; if you can put up
>> with all the faux ma barker ambience crap they dole up; might be worth
>> going in there for a quick fix.
>> They might even sell you a few pounds to take home to Mrs. Nonny.
>> non?

> Cracker Barrell serves and sells country ham as well.

Thanks for the information about CB. We don't have them in NV, but one
is in Kingman AZ, just across the line. I'll also check out Ma Barker
and the Ranch 99 sources, but the CB one is a good choice.

I just got word about a relative passing away in MO, so tomorrow
morning, early, it's a trip to the airport with flight to MCI and drive
to the home town. What a mess this time of year, but she was a loved
and respected family member.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:32:59 -0800, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Cracker Barrell serves and sells country ham as well.
>>>

>> Thanks for the information about CB. We don't have them in NV, but one
>> is in Kingman AZ, just across the line. I'll also check out Ma Barker
>> and the Ranch 99 sources, but the CB one is a good choice.

> Note that the CB stuff is prepared. It has been soaked and
> slightly de-salted, but it's still a very potent ham. At least
> it was 10 years ago. I have no idea of they've changed the
> recipe. Anybody been there recently?
>
> -sw

Been there a couple of years ago. The ham in their gravy was very good
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I initially stuffed them in bungs....

You put them where?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Sorry to hear that. Have a safe trip passing through KC.
>
> MartyB in KC

Home again, Marty and thanks for the good thought. I had a "brunch" on
the road from the Smokehouse BBQ, across from the Embassy Suites on
Tiffany. They don't have real barbecue- pulled pork- but their chicken
and sausage are good, as is their sauce. Wrapped in Wonderbread at
80mph on I-29, it's quite good.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:
> Mike Avery wrote:
>
>> Much to my surprise, I am in Denton, Tx.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations about BBQ joints in the area?
>>

> Pretty good Q, las time I was there. 3-4 years ago.

Thanks to you and sw for the suggestions. Sadly, didn't have enough
time to stop in either place after I got the recommendations. I saw
your place with the pig shaped smoker. Next time.

I did find a place called, "Smokey's" on the highway. We should have
driven around it before we went in. If we had, we wouldn't have gone
in. No wood pile. No smoke taste, despite the name. Not much taste at
all, for that matter. And the waitresses were too busy taking care of
their boyfriends to take care of us. It wasn't bad food, it just wasn't
good barbecue.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
When the jar
Is empty
Wife begins to sing
'For spices, jam & jelly
That jar is just the thing'
Burma-Shave
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "Shawn Martin" > wrote
> %<
>> 15 miles south in I-35 to Lake Dallas, Tx.
>> west service road. I don't remember the name, but has a pig shaped
>> smoker in front.

> There are some folks who show up at Q contests around here who are
> cooking in a big pig and actually selling a line of pink pig shaped
> smokers. Too cute for me, but it shows just how inbred we can get
> around here!

Pig-Pride shows no bounds.

Dave, who thinks the flying pig should have been named the national bird.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I apologize for interjecting an OT response/question, but I went to Texas
several years ago to fish Lake Fork. (Had a great time). However, I was
disappointed that no where near the town of Quitman nor Lake Fork was a
steak house or BBQ joint. I was totally perplexed at finding myself in beef
country absent any means of exploring the possiblities of either a Texas
steak or BBQ. A local referred me to a pizza restaurant on the far shore-
which indeed did serve a fine steak. But, BBQ was not to be found. I stayed
for the fishing, but will not make the 12hr and 45min drive again without
first knowing exactly where I can find a good steak and Texas BBQ. Anybody
knowing the area of Lake Fork that wishes to be so kind as to identify where
such might be found, please feel free to email me off group, just be sure to
get "the heck" out of my address before doing so. Thanks.

--
Shelby Foles, Realtor
Property Systems Real Estate
"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:14:35 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> "Shawn Martin" > wrote
>>> %<
>>>
>>> There are some folks who show up at Q contests around here who are
>>> cooking in a big pig and actually selling a line of pink pig shaped
>>> smokers. Too cute for me, but it shows just how inbred we can get
>>> around here!

> iirc, Traeger has a pig-shaped (sorta) smoker. And doesn't Klose make
> one?
>
>>Pig-Pride shows no bounds.
>>
>>Dave, who thinks the flying pig should have been named the national bird.

> This would give a new meaning to "he gave her the bird," wouldnit?
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Da Chief wrote:
> I apologize for interjecting an OT response/question, but I went to Texas
> several years ago to fish Lake Fork. (Had a great time). However, I was
> disappointed that no where near the town of Quitman nor Lake Fork was a
> steak house or BBQ joint. I was totally perplexed at finding myself in beef
> country absent any means of exploring the possiblities of either a Texas
> steak or BBQ. A local referred me to a pizza restaurant on the far shore-
> which indeed did serve a fine steak. But, BBQ was not to be found. I stayed
> for the fishing, but will not make the 12hr and 45min drive again without
> first knowing exactly where I can find a good steak and Texas BBQ. Anybody
> knowing the area of Lake Fork that wishes to be so kind as to identify where
> such might be found, please feel free to email me off group, just be sure to
> get "the heck" out of my address before doing so. Thanks.

In that area there are some great bbq "joints" But that's just it, they
are joints. Some of the best barbecue in that area will be sold
directly from the smoker, in front of the owner's gas station.

You might also find great Q in some of the joints "over the tracks".
Texas is still very segregated in some areas (by choice, not law) and
Casper could get into some trouble in these places.

(Unless you played HS football with the owner, or his son.)

In Texas, football superceeds everything, and you could wear a Klan Robe
in there in complete safety, as long as you helped the team win State
sometime in the last century.

For Q in a better environment, head East towards Tyler, and Longview, or
southwest to the Hill Country. (Llano, Burnet, Fredricksburg, etc)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:

> For Q in a better environment, head East towards Tyler, and Longview, or
> southwest to the Hill Country. (Llano, Burnet, Fredricksburg, etc)

There is an awesome place in Llano. I wish I could remember the name. I
just know the Q is superlative!
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>

>> For Q in a better environment, head East towards Tyler, and
>> Longview, or southwest to the Hill Country. (Llano, Burnet,
>> Fredricksburg, etc)

> There is an awesome place in Llano. I wish I could remember the name.
> I just know the Q is superlative!

That would be Coopers.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Shawn Martin wrote:
>>
>>> For Q in a better environment, head East towards Tyler, and
>>> Longview, or southwest to the Hill Country. (Llano, Burnet,
>>> Fredricksburg, etc)

>> There is an awesome place in Llano. I wish I could remember the name.
>> I just know the Q is superlative!

> That would be Coopers.

I think so.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>

>> For Q in a better environment, head East towards Tyler, and Longview,
>> or southwest to the Hill Country. (Llano, Burnet, Fredricksburg, etc)

> There is an awesome place in Llano. I wish I could remember the name. I
> just know the Q is superlative!

Coopers. Last time I was there I spent $135.00. Didn't regret it

My country Pandora General Cooking 21 19-02-2009 06:14 PM
A Day In The Country Boron Elgar General Cooking 25 01-12-2004 12:42 AM
First Country Ham Tim O'Neill - BudJit Graphics Preserving 3 10-01-2004 07:50 AM