Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best Wisconsin Cheddar

I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars. I
found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good or
better?

--
Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Saucer Man" > wrote in message
.. .
>I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars.
>I found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
>the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good or
>better?
>
> --
> Thanks.

There are many good brands of cheddar. Cabot is one of my favorites, State
brand (New York) is very good also. Expand your horizons and try a few
sharp or extra sharp.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> CostCo was sampling this excellent cheddar last weekend. I don't
> remember the name, but it was more like parmesan in texture and
> taste. Complete with calcium-salt crystals.
>
> -sw

had some ten yr old cheddar from a local(Wisc) cheese house a while back
that had that texture---almost crunchy and most excellent--iirc was about
15bucks/lb(or maybe more)

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> CostCo was sampling this excellent cheddar last weekend. I don't
> remember the name, but it was more like parmesan in texture and
> taste. Complete with calcium-salt crystals.
>
> -sw

Ooooooohhhhhhh, I had some like that a few years ago. It was aged much
longer than usual and had a very strong flavor. Expensive, but worth it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> CostCo was sampling this excellent cheddar last weekend. I don't
>> remember the name, but it was more like parmesan in texture and
>> taste. Complete with calcium-salt crystals.
>>
>> -sw

> Ooooooohhhhhhh, I had some like that a few years ago. It was aged much
> longer than usual and had a very strong flavor. Expensive, but worth it.

and I thought those crystals were almost sugar sweet like not salty---guess
it is time for a trip south to try some more!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Saucer Man" > wrote:
> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars.
> I found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it
> discontinued the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand
> that is as good or better?

My last White Cheddar was from Vermont. Don't remember the name, but it was
good!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 12, 5:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:
> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars. I
> found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
> the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good or
> better?
>
> --
> Thanks.

I love trying new cheeses and frequently order from companies that
have won World or American Cheese Awards. This year I've placed a
Christmas gift order from Carr Valley Cheese Company in Wisconsin -
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/car...co/default.asp

Julie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"GaDragonfly" > wrote in message
> On Dec 12, 5:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:
>> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars.
>> found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
>> the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good
>> or
>> better?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks.

> I love trying new cheeses and frequently order from companies that
> have won World or American Cheese Awards. This year I've placed a
> Christmas gift order from Carr Valley Cheese Company in Wisconsin -
> http://www4.mailordercentral.com/car...co/default.asp
>
> Julie

thats where I've gone(Mauston store) for the really good cheddar
Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 12, 4:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:
> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars. I
> found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
> the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good or
> better?
>
> --
> Thanks.

Humbird carries a kickass sharp cheddar, in Tomah; where 94 and 90
split.
Don't pass up their baby swiss, receiving best in state award.
Pierre
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 14, 12:58 am, Pierre > wrote:
> On Dec 12, 4:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:

I can't hold back any more.

The best Wisconsin Cheddar? It's made in California!

*scoots quickly out of the way*

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
> On Dec 12, 4:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:
>> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars.
>> found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
>> the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good
>> or
>> better?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks.

> Humbird carries a kickass sharp cheddar, in Tomah; where 94 and 90
> split.
> Don't pass up their baby swiss, receiving best in state award.
> Pierre

for the better Humbird cheese head to their dairy in-----Humbird of
coursejust a little north and east iffen IIRC

Buzz--in the neighborhood

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I tried the New York and Vermont brands. I tried Cabot, Land o"Lakes, etc.
I like the Wisconsin cheddar the best.

--
Thanks.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Saucer Man" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars.
>>I found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it
>>discontinued the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that
>>is as good or better?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks.

> There are many good brands of cheddar. Cabot is one of my favorites,
> State brand (New York) is very good also. Expand your horizons and try a
> few sharp or extra sharp.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 17, 6:30 pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:43:29 -0800 (PST), Tutall >
> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 14, 12:58 am, Pierre > wrote:
> >> On Dec 12, 4:58 pm, "Saucer Man" > wrote:

> >I can't hold back any more.

> >The best Wisconsin Cheddar? It's made in California!

> >*scoots quickly out of the way*

> No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

Good name for cheese making country at any rate. Have had their
commercial large volume stuff carried by Costco, pretty darn good for
mass produced cheese.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>I can't hold back any more.
>>
>>The best Wisconsin Cheddar? It's made in California!
>>
>>*scoots quickly out of the way*

> No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

I favor Pinconning Cheddar, made on the Michigan shores of Lake Huron. I
wonder if anyone has ever heard of it.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 19, 8:47 am, "JohnO" > wrote:
> >>I can't hold back any more.

> >>The best Wisconsin Cheddar? It's made in California!

> >>*scoots quickly out of the way*

> > No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

> I favor Pinconning Cheddar, made on the Michigan shores of Lake Huron. I
> wonder if anyone has ever heard of it.
>
> -John O

I forgot about Washington State University's Cougar Gold - (from their
website:http://www.wsu.edu/creamery/1flavors.html#cougargold) Savor
the nutty flavor of our most famous and popular cheese! Cougar Gold(R)
is a white, sharp cheddar with a taste that resembles Swiss or Gouda.
Aged for at least one year.

My husband asked me to buy some again this year and it arrived
yesterday. It comes in a 32 oz can and is delicious.

Julie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

GaDragonfly wrote:

>>> No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

>> I favor Pinconning Cheddar, made on the Michigan shores of Lake
>> Huron. I wonder if anyone has ever heard of it.
>>
>> -John O

> I forgot about Washington State University's Cougar Gold - (from their
> website:http://www.wsu.edu/creamery/1flavors.html#cougargold) Savor
> the nutty flavor of our most famous and popular cheese! Cougar Gold(R)
> is a white, sharp cheddar with a taste that resembles Swiss or Gouda.
> Aged for at least one year.
>
> My husband asked me to buy some again this year and it arrived
> yesterday. It comes in a 32 oz can and is delicious.

I have one can left dated from 1997. It becomes even more delicious the
longer it ages, and being in a vacuum sealed can makes this a breeze if kept
under constant refrigeration. When I called the WSU Creamery to place an
order for this year, I was told that they recently were contacted by someone
who had just opened his 37 year-old cheese and was 'supremely pleased' with
the contents.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

">
> No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

went to school in corvallis, met a girl from wisconsin, tillamook now sits
in the back of the bus. but i let the black label aged extra sharp sit a
little closer to the front.

joe

how can you respect a hs football team called the fighting cheesemakers??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JohnO" > wrote:
> >>I can't hold back any more.
> >>
> >>The best Wisconsin Cheddar? It's made in California!
> >>
> >>*scoots quickly out of the way*

> > No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.
> >

> I favor Pinconning Cheddar, made on the Michigan shores of Lake Huron. I
> wonder if anyone has ever heard of it.

I've heard of Lake Huron. Part of the Third Coast.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.
>> >

>> I favor Pinconning Cheddar, made on the Michigan shores of Lake Huron. I
>> wonder if anyone has ever heard of it.

> I've heard of Lake Huron. Part of the Third Coast.

Yep, it's the 4th largest body of freshwater in the world...and its shores
are mostly uninhabited.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 06:52:00 -0800 (PST), Tutall >
> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 17, 6:30 pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>>> No. It's made in Tillamook County, Oregon.

>>Good name for cheese making country at any rate. Have had their
>>commercial large volume stuff carried by Costco, pretty darn good for
>>mass produced cheese.

> Not only well-named county/country, but it's beautiful to boot.
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

It's on my 'to get' list whenever I'm in the zone.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Saucer Man wrote:
> I loved the Timber Lake Wisconsin White Cheddar that came in 8 once bars. I
> found them at Walmart. The DCI Cheese Company which made it discontinued
> the Timber Lake line. Does anyone know of another brand that is as good or
> better?

Well, I can't speak for Wisconsin cheddar, but our local 'Black River
Cheese" (Prince Edward County, Ontario) has amazing five-year-old white
cheddar. It runs about $18 (Cnd) a pound. I recently bought a kilo.
Since I use it mainly in cooking, I freeze it. That changes the
texture, but not the taste.

They also do wonderful garlic mozzarella, dill mozza, and in the spring,
a cheddar with maple syrup.

Hmm - maybe it's time to back an apple pie just so I can have some
five-year-old cheddar with it.

MargW
(salivating just thinking about it)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

give Mt. Sterling extra sharp goat cheddar a try.
http://www.wisconsinmade.com/mtsterlingcheese/
I enjoy their cheese very much.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > CostCo was sampling this excellent cheddar last weekend. I don't
> > remember the name, but it was more like parmesan in texture and
> > taste. Complete with calcium-salt crystals.
> >
> > -sw

> Ooooooohhhhhhh, I had some like that a few years ago. It was aged much
> longer than usual and had a very strong flavor. Expensive, but worth it.

When I was a kid, my dad used to go to an old fashioned corner store on
Sunday mornings to buy freshly fried donuts (yum!).

They also had big 20 pound wheels of cheddar, and would cut you off a
pound or two to order.. He liked the extra-sharp, which would pretty much
peel the skin off the inside of your mouth. I've never since had such
sharp cheese, and I scoff at most cheese labeled "Extra Sharp".

I'd love to try some of the cheddar you describe. It sounds like the real
deal.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Saucer Man > wrote:
> I tried the New York and Vermont brands. I tried Cabot, Land o"Lakes, etc.
> I like the Wisconsin cheddar the best.

Try some artisan made Vermont and New York cheese. The brands you name
are mass-produced.

These guys have been doing it the same way for over a hundred years:

http://www.crowleycheese-vermont.com

Might be worth a try if you are looking for some exceptionally good
cheese. And Ed - you're close enough to drive up and get a tour and some
samples.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
>
> These guys have been doing it the same way for over a hundred years:
>
> http://www.crowleycheese-vermont.com
>
> Might be worth a try if you are looking for some exceptionally good
> cheese. And Ed - you're close enough to drive up and get a tour and some
> samples.
>
> --
> The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
> certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
> -- Bertrand Russel

Saved.
It would make a nice day trip. There is a barbecue place up there worth
checking out also; I have to get that information.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:06:48 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > wrote in message
>>
>> These guys have been doing it the same way for over a hundred years:
>>
>> http://www.crowleycheese-vermont.com
>>
>> Might be worth a try if you are looking for some exceptionally good
>> cheese. And Ed - you're close enough to drive up and get a tour and some
>> samples.
>>
>> --
>> The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
>> certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
>> -- Bertrand Russel
>>

> Saved.
> It would make a nice day trip. There is a barbecue place up there worth
> checking out also; I have to get that information.

Ed...Please let me know where. I have a son going to school in VT., so I
drive up there a fair amount now. Thanks!
--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DavidG-" > wrote in message

>>> http://www.crowleycheese-vermont.com
>>>
>>> Might be worth a try if you are looking for some exceptionally good
>>> cheese. And Ed - you're close enough to drive up and get a tour and
>>> some
>>> samples.
>>>
>>> --
>>> The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
>>> so
>>> certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
>>> -- Bertrand Russel
>>>

>> Saved.
>> It would make a nice day trip. There is a barbecue place up there worth
>> checking out also; I have to get that information.

> Ed...Please let me know where. I have a son going to school in VT., so I
> drive up there a fair amount now. Thanks!
> --
> DavidG-

This is the place http://www.curtisbbqvt.com/

A couple of guys from work went up there last fall and said it was pretty
good. That's all the information I have. If I'm going for cheese, a little
bbq can make the ride a little better.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Ed...Please let me know where. I have a son going to school in VT., so I
>> drive up there a fair amount now. Thanks!
>> --
>> DavidG-

> This is the place http://www.curtisbbqvt.com/
>
> A couple of guys from work went up there last fall and said it was pretty
> good. That's all the information I have. If I'm going for cheese, a little
> bbq can make the ride a little better.

Thanks...it's not on my way up north, but it is fairly close to my
sister...guess I'll have to pay her a visit.
--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com