Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Reynolds HandiVac anyone?

I just got a coupon this week for this new sealer. Anyone tried it?
http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp

It might just be good enough for stashing some que in the freezer.
What do you folks think?

Rob
Q 4 all.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Dec-2007, " >
wrote:

> I just got a coupon this week for this new sealer. Anyone tried it?
> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp
>
> It might just be good enough for stashing some que in the freezer.
> What do you folks think?
>
> Rob
> Q 4 all.

I don't see a problem with it.

Reynolds markets quality products.

The bags they're advertising are cheaper then foodsaver bags
although about double what I pay for Snorkel sealer bags. Some
might argue about the absolute vacuum attained by one sealer
or another. I don't think it matters all that much. Bag failure
is the biggest problem in the vacuum packing world. I have
yet to find a grocery story zipper bag that will hold a vacuum.
I just now tried pulling a vacuum on a quart size Glad bag.

I pre-sealed the zipper end to try and eliminate the zipper end
as a potential leak. I vacuumed packed a scotch tape dispenser
and waited to see what happened. Within ten minutes the bag
was totally limp. I can't tell where the air is getting into it.

(Yes George, I can evacuate Glad bags with my machine. They
just don't hold a vacuum.)

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> I don't see a problem with it.
>
> Reynolds markets quality products.
>
> The bags they're advertising are cheaper then foodsaver bags
> although about double what I pay for Snorkel sealer bags. Some
> might argue about the absolute vacuum attained by one sealer
> or another. I don't think it matters all that much. Bag failure
> is the biggest problem in the vacuum packing world. I have
> yet to find a grocery story zipper bag that will hold a vacuum.
> I just now tried pulling a vacuum on a quart size Glad bag.
>
> I pre-sealed the zipper end to try and eliminate the zipper end
> as a potential leak. I vacuumed packed a scotch tape dispenser
> and waited to see what happened. Within ten minutes the bag
> was totally limp. I can't tell where the air is getting into it.
>
> (Yes George, I can evacuate Glad bags with my machine. They
> just don't hold a vacuum.)

The bags would probably be an acceptable substitute for the Oliso
Frisper bags, if you ran out.

FWIW, I doubt if the vacuum would be as strong as my Foodsaver or even
the Frisper, but so what? Back before I had either, I'd use my mouth
and it worked very well. Just zip a bag closed to within about 1'2" or
less and press the remaining gap together a tad to buckle it open.
Place ithe little opening against your lips and SUCK like Monica. The
bag will collapse like it does with a vacuum sealer and you can use your
lips or teeth to close the remaining little bit without losing the
vacuum. I've done this since the zip lock bags came out and it works
just fine.

I do recommend being careful about doing this with raw meat like
chicken, since you might get a little bit of the juice in your mouth.
For all cooked foods or seafood, liquids or safe raw meat, it works
great once you get the hang of it. It's also something I still do with
fragile stuff like bread, so that I don't crush it when I'm too lazy to
freeze it first. Like everything, practice makes perfect.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,