Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default mixer suggestions

We're about ready to get a mixer and any suggestions would be
appreciated. Right now, we're leaning toward the Pro600 KitchenAid with
6 qt. bowl. I can get a new one for $260 net plus tax, so the price is
great for a KitchenAid of that size. We had a KitchenAid in the 70's,
but gave it to the DIL when the wife became ill from MS and stopped
baking.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 2, 11:48 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> We're about ready to get a mixer and any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Right now, we're leaning toward the Pro600 KitchenAid with
> 6 qt. bowl. I can get a new one for $260 net plus tax, so the price is
> great for a KitchenAid of that size. We had a KitchenAid in the 70's,
> but gave it to the DIL when the wife became ill from MS and stopped
> baking.

I don't see how you could go wrong with a KitchenAid. I've had one for
years, and love it. That $260 is a great price- how are you able to
get one for that price?

JimnGin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> We're about ready to get a mixer and any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Right now, we're leaning toward the Pro600 KitchenAid with 6 qt. bowl. I
> can get a new one for $260 net plus tax, so the price is great for a
> KitchenAid of that size. We had a KitchenAid in the 70's, but gave it to
> the DIL when the wife became ill from MS and stopped baking.
>
> Nonny --

We have both a "tilt head" and a "bowl lift" KA mixer. I prefer the
"tilt head" K45 to the slighty larger "bowl lift". Neither will knead a
small recipe[3 cups flour] as well as my broken down breadmaker on the
"dough cycle". Both do best with a larger recipe, at least 5-6 cups of
flour. When kneading you have to stand by and inject effort more than you
think you should have to. The whole process isn't as seamless as the photos
suggest.
Regarding the Pro. 600, do you really need a mixer that will mix dough
with 14 cups of flour?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You can't go wrong with the Pro600. I picked one up last year about this
time for a christmas present for my wife, but really it was for me too. ;>)

I was able to get a killer deal on the 600 through a friend that worked at
Kohls. She was able to combine several sales/discounts and in combination
with her emplyee discount, she was able to get one for me for $230, and
KitchenAid was offering a $50 mail in rebate on the 600 at the time. So we
ended up getting a brand new pro600 (in black) for about $180.

It's not what you know, but WHO you know. :>)

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> On Dec 2, 11:48 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> We're about ready to get a mixer and any suggestions would be
>> appreciated. Right now, we're leaning toward the Pro600 KitchenAid with
>> 6 qt. bowl. I can get a new one for $260 net plus tax, so the price is
>> great for a KitchenAid of that size. We had a KitchenAid in the 70's,
>> but gave it to the DIL when the wife became ill from MS and stopped
>> baking.

> I don't see how you could go wrong with a KitchenAid. I've had one for
> years, and love it. That $260 is a great price- how are you able to
> get one for that price?
>
> JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> We're about ready to get a mixer and any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Right now, we're leaning toward the Pro600 KitchenAid with
> 6 qt. bowl. I can get a new one for $260 net plus tax, so the price is
> great for a KitchenAid of that size. We had a KitchenAid in the 70's,
> but gave it to the DIL when the wife became ill from MS and stopped
> baking.

It kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. I see lots of
comments in baking newsgroups that KitchenAid mixers just aren't what
they used to be before Hobart sold the division. Lots of dead mixers
after mixing bread dough.

I've had my KitchenAid K45Ss mixer since .... the dawn of time, and I
like it a lot. However, a friend has a new one and it makes the most
awful grinding noises. I don't think her new one will last very long.

If you're making cakes, grinding meat, stuffing sausages, you're good.
If you're making bread, you may want to consider a heavier duty mixer
such as a Bosch or Electrolux.

Good luck,
Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
A nut at the wheel
A peach at his right
Curve ahead
Salad tonight
Burma-Shave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:

> If you're making cakes, grinding meat, stuffing sausages, you're good.
> If you're making bread, you may want to consider a heavier duty mixer
> such as a Bosch or Electrolux.

I have a lovely Kitchen Aide Artisan which does the trick for baking
cakes and grinding meat, but I have never used the dough hook. I can't
imagine making bread without kneading it by hand. How would I know if it
was kneaded enough without being able to feel the dough, experience the
degree of stretchiness, etc.???? It would kill the entire experience of
bread making for me.

IMHO, using a mixer to knead one's dough is just like using a bread
machine. The texture will never be proper.

If I am going to do things in my kitchen; I'm going to do them right.

JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Mike Avery wrote:
>

>> If you're making cakes, grinding meat, stuffing sausages, you're good.
>> If you're making bread, you may want to consider a heavier duty mixer
>> such as a Bosch or Electrolux.
>>

> I have a lovely Kitchen Aide Artisan which does the trick for baking
> cakes and grinding meat, but I have never used the dough hook. I can't
> imagine making bread without kneading it by hand. How would I know if it
> was kneaded enough without being able to feel the dough, experience the
> degree of stretchiness, etc.???? It would kill the entire experience of
> bread making for me.
>
> IMHO, using a mixer to knead one's dough is just like using a bread
> machine. The texture will never be proper.

You would do it the same way as you do now. You would look at the
dough. You would feel the dough. (Hopefully stopping the mixer
first.) With the KitchenAid, I find that it will not handle as much
dough as I would like, and it will support a narrower range of
hydrations than I would like. The Electrolux is a bit more versatile.

Having made bread by hand in batches from 1 to 25 loaves, and having
used mixers from the size of my KitchenAid K45SS to a 55 quart spiral
mixer, I can say with some degree of assurance that the differences are
not as large as you might imagine. With a mixer, unlike a bread
machine, you remain in control.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

A Randomly Selected Berber Saying Of The Day:
Every sheep hangs by his own legs.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

>>>I can get a new one for $260 net plus tax,<<<

Amazon has them for $260/no shipping and depending
on your state no tax. RM~

Mixer Shana's Sweets Cooking Equipment 1 29-05-2011 09:04 PM
My next mixer. ImStillMags General Cooking 17 20-05-2011 08:11 PM
Mixer (here we go again) gloria.p General Cooking 23 11-08-2010 06:13 PM
New Mixer Paul Gilbert[_2_] Sourdough 6 04-12-2008 02:56 AM
Mixer Terry M Sourdough 6 22-12-2003 08:45 PM