Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Meanwhile, back on the smoker

My latest experiment:

One large Atlantic Salmon fillet, brined in salt and brown sugar
overnight. Then rinsed and dried for 2 hours, then brushed with maple
syrup, and sprinkled with freshly cracked black pepper.

On a very low fire over fruit wood - apple and cherry..

just checked on it... smells real good so far...

Abby
--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:09:33 -0800, Bill Riel wrote:
>
>> Of course, the sockeye is a thicker piece of fish, so that might explain
>> it a bit.

> All the sockeye I've been seeing is thinner than the pink
> Atlantic.
>
> Smoked steelhead still beats them all, IMO. I've had my best
> results there.
>
> And never try smoking tilapia <laugh>.
>
> -sw

All things considered I like Sockeye the best. Although I will admit I
have only smoked 1 Steelhead.
Steve I was wondering.. you being a Texican and all Do you have access
to wild Steelhead or is it farmed?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:09:33 -0800, Bill Riel wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, the sockeye is a thicker piece of fish, so that might explain
>>> it a bit.

>> All the sockeye I've been seeing is thinner than the pink
>> Atlantic.
>>
>> Smoked steelhead still beats them all, IMO. I've had my best
>> results there.
>>
>> And never try smoking tilapia <laugh>.
>>
>> -sw

> All things considered I like Sockeye the best. Although I will admit I
> have only smoked 1 Steelhead.
> Steve I was wondering.. you being a Texican and all Do you have access
> to wild Steelhead or is it farmed?

My HEB in Harlingen, TX had wild steelhead last week. I thought about
getting a side to plank, but DH complains if he gets fish more than
every other week and I had just done a side of Keta salmon on a plank
the week before with a lovely maple glaze and those round-bulbed spring
onions underneath.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Mike wrote:

> >> All the sockeye I've been seeing is thinner than the pink
> >> Atlantic.
> >>
> >> Smoked steelhead still beats them all, IMO. I've had my best
> >> results there.
> >>
> >> And never try smoking tilapia <laugh>.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > All things considered I like Sockeye the best. Although I will admit I
> >
> > have only smoked 1 Steelhead.
> > Steve I was wondering.. you being a Texican and all Do you have
> > access
> > to wild Steelhead or is it farmed?
> >

> My HEB in Harlingen, TX had wild steelhead last week. I thought about
> getting a side to plank, but DH complains if he gets fish more than
> every other week and I had just done a side of Keta salmon on a plank
> the week before with a lovely maple glaze and those round-bulbed spring
> onions underneath.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

Can I be your husband, please, please? I promise not to complain about
having Keta Salmon and Steelhead in the same week.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:44:07 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:

underneath.

> Here in salmon (and steelhead) country (WA state), we never refer to
> Keta salmon. It's simply chum salmon. And sockeye isn't all that
> spendy. Not even Copper River sockeye, in season.

Ya right it starts about 12$ a pound per fillet.
At that price Im going for Beef

And there's only
> one salmon better than Copper River sockeye--Copper River King.
> (a/k/a Chinook)
>
> (Yes, Joe in Alaska, I know you get better salmon than we do, at least
> a good part of the time. :P)

-Sigh- Why the hell would a Fish that was caught in Joe Smoes
neighborhood In what ever kinda Net several days ago be Better than a
Fresh fish I caught a half hour ago? Copper river is 90% Marketing. and
10 % Good Eating. I still say Sockeye is waay better than King
Salmon.

Dude next season I can show you you can yard them in right off the
beach bring a 12 pack

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM
beef back ribs on a minimal bullet smoker Robert Barbecue 4 22-06-2004 04:47 PM