Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default best wood for smoking venison pepperoni?

My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"highlands hunter" > wrote in message
> My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
> own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
> our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
> would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Scott

What exactly are you making? True pepperoni is a dry cured sausage and it
not smoked.
http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blpork85.htm

This is a *******ized version
http://www.bakespace.com/index.php?m...w&lst_id=25448

If I was to smoke it, I'd probably use hickory or apple.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

highlands hunter > wrote:
> My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
> own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
> our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
> would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?

Hickory, maple, alder, any fruit hardwood like cherry, apple or plum.
They'll each impart a different flavor, so keep notes!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I agree with Ed, pepperoni is a dry cured product not smoked. I do however
smoke pepperoni to enhance the flavor. Just remove the casing and cold
smoke for two to three hours using apple or hickory. You can try any fruit
wood you want. I mainly use apple.

"highlands hunter" > wrote in message
> My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
> own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
> our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
> would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Scott

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"highlands hunter" > wrote in message
> My wife and I bought a meat grinder last year and started making our
> own venison sausage. We recently bought a smoker and would like to try
> our luck at making pepperoni. Can someone recommend what type of wood
> would be best for smoking venison pepperoni?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Scott

not traditionally smoked but..............

you can oversmoke, go for a fruit wood like apple or cherry.

joe

Wood for smoking [email protected] Barbecue 14 18-06-2010 07:29 AM
Wood for smoking/BBQ Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 58 25-08-2009 12:08 PM
Where to buy wood for smoking? [email protected] Barbecue 3 05-06-2005 01:12 AM
Wood for smoking. RW Barbecue 4 13-09-2004 09:51 AM
Smoking Venison Matt & Terri Barbecue 2 02-10-2003 04:20 AM