Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Could be something, could be nothing

Saw this on another group, a deal at Lowe's. They have a great deal of
their one-time seasonal purchase stuff in the bbq section on sale.
Some about 50% off. Good time to get that really big spatula and more
tongs.

The deal is the Oregon Scientific remote alert probe thermometer.
Apparently many feel this is a hit or miss thermo, and at $39, much
better to buy something known to be reliable. But now they are $9.99,
not $39, so I am taking a chance. For ten bucks I would love to have
it page me in the shop when the brisket is done.

They aren't actually shown in the store as marked down though, so I
had them scan to make sure. Yep, $9.99.

If you are looking for another thermo, this could be a good deal.
Hell, if it doesn't work, take it back!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> What's the knock on the Oregon Scientific remote thermos? I'm not familiar
> with their products. I spent 39 bucks each on a couple Webers and they both
> failed in less than a year so I am more interested in the price than in
> brand loyalty.

I think the OS and Weber units are both made by the same company. They
sure do look the same. I've steered clear of them because they don't
have a variable mode where you can set your target temp.
Hey,but for 10$ whatthehell......

monroe(buy a taylor and be happier)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 22, 12:16 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> What area are you in? Searching on line, the Lowe's stores around here which
> have it in stock each show different discounted prices but none that low.

I picked up this tip on the smokingmeatsforum.com site, and many there
have scored it at that price, but some can't even find it at their
local store. I am in S. Texas, and we are usually about the last to
get anything like this.

> I'm wondering if someone just keyed in the UPC/price incorrectly in your
> store, but its probably worth a trip to check it out.

Just have them scan it before you buy. The one I bought wasn't even
shown as a markdown, so without the tip from the other site I wouldn't
even have known about it. Even the guy in "outdoors" at Lowe's
thought it was the wrong price, but check as he would he couldn't get
the scanner to come in with a higher price.

To show you how screwed up these store are, I bought Royal Oak
briquettes at the store by my house at $2.47 a bag, as many as I
wanted. But this store didn't have the Oregon thermos. I went to
another store about 5-6 miles away, and they had the thermos, but
would only sell me the RO briquettes for a little under six.

The explanation to me was that one store will continue to carry the RO
product and will sell it at a premium while the other guys sold it to
me cheap as they don't intend to carry it anymore. Hence the sales
price.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Robert