Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT-Preseasoned Cast Iron

I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to use.
Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have to do
any work to them before hand?? The piece that I got was just one to do
little cornbread sticks. I actually have one of my grandmothers but I have
not cleaned it up...It's BAD!!! It looks like it's seasoned well, it's just
crusty and stuff, but anyway....need tips on cleaning it, but not right now,
just curios about this preseasoned cast iron!

Thanks!

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote in message
>I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
>just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to use.
>Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have to do
>any work to them before hand?? The piece that I got was just one to do
>little cornbread sticks. I actually have one of my grandmothers but I have
>not cleaned it up...It's BAD!!! It looks like it's seasoned well, it's
>just crusty and stuff, but anyway....need tips on cleaning it, but not
>right now, just curios about this preseasoned cast iron!
>
> Thanks!
>
> B-Worthey

I have had pretty good luck with the preseasoned stuff from Lodge.
Wipe it down good and use it. Make sure you grease it pretty good the
first few times.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:

> I have had pretty good luck with the preseasoned stuff from Lodge.
> Wipe it down good and use it. Make sure you grease it pretty good the
> first few times.

But isn't that akin to seasoning while using Jim?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Nov-2007, "bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote:

> I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
>
> just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to
> use.
> Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have to do
>
> any work to them before hand?? The piece that I got was just one to do
> little cornbread sticks. I actually have one of my grandmothers but I
> have
> not cleaned it up...It's BAD!!! It looks like it's seasoned well, it's
> just
> crusty and stuff, but anyway....need tips on cleaning it, but not right
> now,
> just curios about this preseasoned cast iron!
>
> Thanks!
>
> B-Worthey

There's nothing mysterious about preseasoned cast iron cookware. The
manufacturer has simply killed two birds with one stone. They have
protected their product from rust before its' first use and provided an
additional service to the end user at the same time. Initial (pre) seasoning
is easily accomplished by liberally coating the cast iron with vegetable
oil, mineral oil or lard and baking it at 300 plus degrees farenheit for a
couple of hours.

The "unseasoning" process is equally simple. Simply heat the cast iron
beyond the temperature in which any kind of oil or grease can exist. A
self-cleaning oven will do the trick nicely. Failing that, a wood/coal fired
stove or even an open pit fire will serve equally well. Simply bury the CI
in redhot coals for a couple of hours and all baked on impurities including
rust and corrosion will be incinerated away.

After the heat treatment and of course careful (slow) cooling, simply
wash the product thoroughly and reseason as described for
initial seasoning. There is nothing complicated or magical about the
process and no reason to make it so.

Liberal use of oil during the first few uses will aid in thickening and
enhancing the initial seasoning.

A pitfall that many folks fall into is avoiding any use of their cast iron
which might damage or even remove the seasoning. Forget about it.
Use your cast iron as if it were impervious to all hazards. For all
practical purposes, it is. If you choose to make red spaghetti sauce
in your CI dutch oven, simply wash it up when you get done, wipe it
down with fresh oil and pop it in the oven for a couple of hours.

There may be many reasons for "not" using CI for certain things, but
damage to the CI should not be one of them.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> The "unseasoning" process is equally simple. Simply heat the cast iron
> beyond the temperature in which any kind of oil or grease can exist. A
> self-cleaning oven will do the trick nicely. Failing that, a wood/coal fired
> stove or even an open pit fire will serve equally well. Simply bury the CI
> in redhot coals for a couple of hours and all baked on impurities including
> rust and corrosion will be incinerated away.
>
> After the heat treatment and of course careful (slow) cooling, simply
> wash the product thoroughly and reseason as described for
> initial seasoning. There is nothing complicated or magical about the
> process and no reason to make it so.
>
> Liberal use of oil during the first few uses will aid in thickening and
> enhancing the initial seasoning.
>
> A pitfall that many folks fall into is avoiding any use of their cast iron
> which might damage or even remove the seasoning. Forget about it.
> Use your cast iron as if it were impervious to all hazards. For all
> practical purposes, it is. If you choose to make red spaghetti sauce
> in your CI dutch oven, simply wash it up when you get done, wipe it
> down with fresh oil and pop it in the oven for a couple of hours.
>
> There may be many reasons for "not" using CI for certain things, but
> damage to the CI should not be one of them.

What an excellent post... I have never known about "unseasoning" but it
makes sense to burn off the impurities before seasoning. I've heard that
cooking acidic foods can leach unhealthy amounts of iron in the food. I
usually have stainless for my spaghetti.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote in message
>I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
>just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to use.
>Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have to do
>any work to them before hand??

It is ready to go, but will get even better with use. I always recommend
frying up a couple of batches of bacon the first times out so it polymerizes
well and gets that black patina. In the case of a cornbread pan, yo can't
fry bacon it in, but you can wipe it down with bacon fat before you pour in
the batter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
..

> What an excellent post... I have never known about "unseasoning" but it
> makes sense to burn off the impurities before seasoning. I've heard that
> cooking acidic foods can leach unhealthy amounts of iron in the food. I
> usually have stainless for my spaghetti.

I've never met Brick, but always read what he posts from start to
finish. The guy's one smart dude and tells it like it is.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> I have had pretty good luck with the preseasoned stuff from Lodge.
> Wipe it down good and use it. Make sure you grease it pretty good the
> first few times.
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Thanks Big Jim....that's really what I was wondering. I know the stuff I
season, how it turns out, just didn't know how it was when it came already
seasoned.

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Nov-2007, Sonoran Dude > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

.. . .

> What an excellent post... I have never known about "unseasoning" but it
> makes sense to burn off the impurities before seasoning. I've heard that
> cooking acidic foods can leach unhealthy amounts of iron in the food. I
> usually have stainless for my spaghetti.

I can remember only one occasion when I felt it desirable if not downright
necessary to "unseason" a cast iron vessel. The article was a 10" X 3"
skillet which many refer to as a "Chicken Fryer". I received it as a cast-
off from a moving out apartment dweller. The landlord wanted to get rid
of it and I was happy to take it off of her hands for the effort of hauling
it
away. It was really nasty. It had areas of heavy patina as well as areas
of heavy rust. I ran it through a 3 hour selfcleaning oven cycle and voila!
It was like new again. I washed it thoroughly with soap and water, then
after thoroughly drying, I coated it liberally with vegetable oil and then
baked it for three hours at 350°F. Since then, it looks "Out of the Box"
new.

You're right about the iron leeching from acidic foods. Until recently, I
hadn't heard of anyone that was intolerant of it, but I know now that it
can be as deadly to some people as peanuts are to some others. I
do use my dutch oven to make stew which always has some tomatoes
in it, but it's not particularly acidic overall. I would not use it to make
spaghetti sauce, mostly because the iron would ruin the taste.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message news:uwZ%i.6860
> There's nothing mysterious about preseasoned cast iron cookware. The
> manufacturer has simply killed two birds with one stone. They have
> protected their product from rust before its' first use and provided an
> additional service to the end user at the same time. Initial (pre)
> seasoning
> is easily accomplished by liberally coating the cast iron with vegetable
> oil, mineral oil or lard and baking it at 300 plus degrees farenheit for a
> couple of hours.

No, never said there was anything mysterious to the process....just didn't
know how well it was done in a mass produced sort of thing. I know how well
my stuff and my mom's and my grandmother's stuff is once it has been
seasoned, but just didn't know about buying it already seasoned.

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote in message
>I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
>just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to use.
>Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have to do
>any work to them before hand?? The piece that I got was just one to do
>little cornbread sticks. I actually have one of my grandmothers but I have
>not cleaned it up...It's BAD!!! It looks like it's seasoned well, it's
>just crusty and stuff, but anyway....need tips on cleaning it, but not
>right now, just curios about this preseasoned cast iron!
>
> Thanks!
>
> B-Worthey

Preseasoned is ready to use, your old one can be cleaned in ovens self clean
cycle.

http://web.comporium.net/~amwil/disc...tm#Cast%20Iron

Go here to my bbq site for link to cast iron care,
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote in message

> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
>
>> I have had pretty good luck with the preseasoned stuff from Lodge.
>> Wipe it down good and use it. Make sure you grease it pretty good the
>> first few times.
>> --
>> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

> Thanks Big Jim....that's really what I was wondering. I know the stuff I
> season, how it turns out, just didn't know how it was when it came already
> seasoned.
>
> B-Worthey

I bought a 10" skillet and a 12" griddle from the Lodge Outlet in South
Pittsburg, Tn a couple of months ago. Brought them home, rinsed them off
with warm soapy water, dried them and started cooking with them. Both pieces
look like they been in my kitchen for years. Nothing has stuck so far. I did
bacon in the pan and for the first griddle cook I did hoecakes, they slid
right off.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Exactly. Instead of petroleum oil they use food grade oil after
> manufacturing to prevent rust. However I worry about the oil going rancid,
> since there is no telling how long its been in some warehouse. If I
> acquire
> new cast iron I clean it and reseason it myself as Brick described.

If it is seasoned, it won't go ranced becasue there is no longer any oil on
it. The oil was heated and polymerized and in the chemical sense, it is no
longer an oil, but a polymer coating.

> I have two large and one mini cast iron skillets which I use many times a
> week cooking breakfast and dinner. I just leave them on the stovetop after
> cooking with the residual grease in them. When I use them again, I heat
> them
> up to the sizzling and smoking point, and then **carefully with a big
> mitt**
> run them under water in the sink. When it starts to cool off I just run a
> handle scrubber over it if necessary to remove any residue and rinse. This
> lifts off and steams away all the residual oils and leaves just the right
> amount of oil imbedded in the pan for the next cook. It looks and sounds
> scary and you don't want to get bare skin near it when the steam comes
> off,
> but the technique works great for me.

Sounds scary. It can be done with much less risk so I'll stick with my
method.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Michael (Piedmont)" > wrote in message
> "bworthey" <bworthey@windstreamDOTnet> wrote in message
>>I know, a bit off topice, but I knew this would be the place to ask it. I
>>just bought a piece of pre-seasoned cast iron that claims its ready to
>>use. Anyone had any luck with these? Have any suggestions? Did you have
>>to do any work to them before hand?? The piece that I got was just one to
>>do little cornbread sticks. I actually have one of my grandmothers but I
>>have not cleaned it up...It's BAD!!! It looks like it's seasoned well,
>>it's just crusty and stuff, but anyway....need tips on cleaning it, but
>>not right now, just curios about this preseasoned cast iron!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> B-Worthey
>>

> Preseasoned is ready to use, your old one can be cleaned in ovens self
> clean cycle.
>
> http://web.comporium.net/~amwil/disc...tm#Cast%20Iron
>
> Go here to my bbq site for link to cast iron care,
> piedmont

I was wondering if I could reseason a skillet by carfuly lowering it into
the hot oil I fried the turkey in?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"cooter" > wrote in message
> I was wondering if I could reseason a skillet by carfuly lowering it into
> the hot oil I fried the turkey in?

Might work, but it is not the best way. No need to do the outside and it is
better if it sits in a hot oven for a while once oiled.