Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Turkey On The Grill

I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller- lump on both
sides, charcoal grate at it's lowest setting, turkey on the grates in
the middle. Last year I did it this way, and I put the turkey directly
on the grates, with a pan underneath the charcoal grate, to catch the
juices and drippings. I was going to use them to make gravy.
Unfortunately, it got too hot being directly between the lump, and all
the liquids in the pan dried up. I'm thinking of putting the turkey in
one of those oval roasters, and leaving the lid off. While that will
solve the issue of saving the juices, etc, will using a roaster vs
putting the turkey directly on the grate compromise the quality of the
bird? Will using the roaster keep some smoke from getting to it, and
into it?

Thanks again for your help and expertise! I appreciate it!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 15, 10:21 pm, JimnGin > wrote:

> I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller

Do you have the offset firebox or are you cooking on just the grill
alone?

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 16, 12:06 am, " >
wrote:

> Do you have the offset firebox or are you cooking on just the grill
> alone?

> Robert

I do have the SFB, which I've used for everything from chickens to
ribs, pulled pork, and more. About a year or so ago, I was making
ribs, and didn't have the time for the traditional method, using the
SFB. I bypassed the SFB, putting the charcoal grate at the lowest
setting. I put lump on the far right side, and the ribs on the grate
on the far left side. They turned out better than any ribs I'd ever
smoked, using the SFB. I decided to try that method for other things,
such as pulled pork, etc. Everything came out as good, or better than
when I'd smoked the same thing using the traditional method. Since
then, I no longer use the SFB, and haven't looked back. I know there
are those who think that using the traditional method with the SFB is
the only way to go, and results in a superior product. That is fine- I
used to think the same, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I
do think that these results are, if not entirely, at least in some
part, due to using a cheaper smoker such as a Char-Griller. However, I
guarantee that you could not tell the difference between the 2
methods! As "controversial" as this may seem- my only comment is to
say: Try it before you knock it! Not only is there little to no
difference, I save alot of lump and time this way.

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller- lump on both
> sides, charcoal grate at it's lowest setting, turkey on the grates in
> the middle. Last year I did it this way, and I put the turkey directly
> on the grates, with a pan underneath the charcoal grate, to catch the
> juices and drippings. I was going to use them to make gravy.
> Unfortunately, it got too hot being directly between the lump, and all
> the liquids in the pan dried up. I'm thinking of putting the turkey in
> one of those oval roasters, and leaving the lid off. While that will
> solve the issue of saving the juices, etc, will using a roaster vs
> putting the turkey directly on the grate compromise the quality of the
> bird? Will using the roaster keep some smoke from getting to it, and
> into it?
>
> Thanks again for your help and expertise! I appreciate it!

I don't see how putting it in a roasting pan will adversly avect the
finished turkey. It might be a little soggy on the bottom is all.You could
put a little grate under the turkey, if you don't want this.
I've cooked turkeys in a Weber kettle for thirty years and they come out
delish.I put an aluminium pan under to ketch the drippings and keep a little
water (or beer or wine or apple juice) in it to keep the drippings from
drying out.
> Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm making the turkey this year on my Char-Griller- lump on both
> sides, charcoal grate at it's lowest setting, turkey on the grates in
> the middle. Last year I did it this way, and I put the turkey directly
> on the grates, with a pan underneath the charcoal grate, to catch the
> juices and drippings. I was going to use them to make gravy.
> Unfortunately, it got too hot being directly between the lump, and all
> the liquids in the pan dried up. I'm thinking of putting the turkey in
> one of those oval roasters, and leaving the lid off. While that will
> solve the issue of saving the juices, etc, will using a roaster vs
> putting the turkey directly on the grate compromise the quality of the
> bird? Will using the roaster keep some smoke from getting to it, and
> into it?
>
> Thanks again for your help and expertise! I appreciate it!
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I suspect the geography of the Char-Griller doesn't allow you to do genuine
indirect cooking, though not knowing what exactly what you're using I don't
know. We roast turkey on the Weber kettle indirectly, with the charcoal and
wood in baskets well to the outside of the turkey. A drip pan goes
underneath the turkey to catch drippings, a crucial part of this. If the
"oven" temp. rises too much, put some water in the drip pan to keep
drippings from drying out. We cook the turkey breast side down, for 30 min.
and then rotate 90 degrees every half hour until the bird is done. We've
roasted turkey on a Weber kettle for 25 years this way and wouldn't do it
any other way. Put in wood chunks of choice. Always brine for 24 hours
before[preferably in the garage, but now and then in the frig], in a hefty
2.5 gallon Ziplock bag. Don't stuff the turkey. Make your stuffing on the
side with homemade turkey stock from your last turkey, or buy turkey parts
and make turkey stock now. Also use the stock, with the drippings to make
gravy.

More Rambling: Rehydrated dried porcini mushrooms, and turkey liver are
both somewhat unusual and good items to try in your stuffing, not
necessarily together.

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Kent