Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default where to eat in oklahoma

Hi guys,

Friends of mine are going to oklahoma. do you know a good bbq
restaurant in oklahoma? A heard of a place called bob's bbq, but I
don't know the adress and if it is any good.

hope you can help me out

Adriaan
the Netherlands
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Friends of mine are going to oklahoma. do you know a good bbq
> restaurant in oklahoma? A heard of a place called bob's bbq, but I
> don't know the adress and if it is any good.
>
> hope you can help me out
>
> Adriaan
> the Netherlands

http://www.leosbbq.com/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Friends of mine are going to oklahoma.

Tulsa? Oklahoma City? the panhandle? It's a big state...where are they
headed?

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15 nov, 14:51, "JohnO" > wrote:
> > Friends of mine are going to oklahoma.

> Tulsa? Oklahoma City? the panhandle? It's a big state...where are they
> headed?
>
> -John O

sorry, forgot to mention they are going to Oklahoma City
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> sorry, forgot to mention they are going to Oklahoma City

the county line, think that's what it's called. out behind what used to be
the cowboy hall of fame. it's living on past memories but it's always packed
and people fawn all over it. i have places in tulsa to go to, only
disappointments in okc.

joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message

>>i have places in tulsa to go to,<<

I prefer Legend's, Knotty Pine (luv the beans and have been
going there since the mid 50's) and Billy Sim's. My war
department likes Rib Crib but in my opinion they have detroyed
the beans (too much chili powder), gotta have good beans with
the Q.

Have I missed any?? Rob Mills ~ T-Town

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Have I missed any?? Rob Mills ~ T-Town

wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, rob

reba dale's bbq @ 26th and n.cincinnati, it's gotta be safe, they got bars
on the windows. my parents will not go with me there. good/great food, but
even i know it can be weird part of town when the sun goes down.

wilson's on apache is my first off the plane and last before leaving when
i'd visit the 'rents. but the old man died and it was redecorated and is
just too damn bright. the 'rents will only go here for lunch. food's still
good, and you can smell the smoke when you drive in the parking lot.

elmer's on peoria (known as the restless ribbon when i was in high school).
food was good till the old man died (note a trend here?) now it's okay but
the staff has way too much 'tude.

but, probably the best all 'round food, pleasant people, my parents feel
safe, did i mention good food? is albert g's @ 27th and harvard. hell, it's
in a converted gas station, how could you ask for better 'q?

rib crib?? not too inspired.

i'll be down to see the 'rents in the spring. i think we'll go to knotty
pine. but i'd also enjoy any other suggestions; asian, mexican, whatever. my
job when i visit, other than cleaning their gutters and getting the crap out
of their computers is to take them to eat where'd they never go w/o help.

joe
petersburg (who enjoys tulsey town, but can't live there) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> County Line - that Austin-based chain?
>
> Well, I'll be - they do have a couple there. For some reason it
> gets a bad rap, but I think it's pretty decent Q.

the okc joint was pleasent, but the ribs were really dry. bad night? eh? not
motivated to try again.

now where is it i'm supposed to take you if i ever screw up and wind up in
austin??

joe
you know where i live.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> now where is it i'm supposed to take you if i ever screw up and wind up
>> in
>> austin??

> Nieman Marcus.
> --sw

good play, steve. s'long as i don't have to drink that skank wine you've
been parading on abf...

joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Nieman Marcus.
>>> --sw

>> good play, steve. s'long as i don't have to drink that skank wine you've
>> been parading on abf...

> That was my victory wine. So what are you drinking? Oh - wait,
> you don't get any victory wine tonight!
>
> -sw

Man, I'll drink cheap beer, if I must, but cheap wine always makes me
sick the next day.

--

Sarah Gray

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm just a lurker here. I didn't see any one post anything about Ken's
Restaurant in Amber, OK. It's not really a BBQ place but he does serve
ribs. The prime rib is memorable.

Here's the only link I could find:

http://www.we8there.com/rest_detail.php?busid=1194

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I'm just a lurker here. I didn't see any one post anything about Ken's
> Restaurant in Amber, OK. It's not really a BBQ place but he does serve
> ribs. The prime rib is memorable.

Lots of restaurants serve ribs, including Mcdonald's (McRib sandwich). The
OP isn't interested in a menu item, he's interested in a specific cuisine
:-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> I tasted McRibs years ago, when they were test marketing it. They
> weren't ribs. It was pressed and formed mystery meat intended to
> resemble ribs without the bones, in a really nasty sauce that was
> even more offensive than the alleged meat. Thinking about it makes me
> want to bleach my mouth. There oughta be a law.......

:-) There is a law; the law of supply and demand. Says a lot about those
doin' the demanding.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> > I tasted McRibs years ago, when they were test marketing it. They
>> > weren't ribs. It was pressed and formed mystery meat intended to
>> > resemble ribs without the bones, in a really nasty sauce that was
>> > even more offensive than the alleged meat. Thinking about it makes me
>> > want to bleach my mouth. There oughta be a law.......

>> :-) There is a law; the law of supply and demand. Says a lot about those
>> doin' the demanding.

> %<
> Yeah, and the amazing thing is, CrackDonald's actually pulled the product
> after they considered it to have failed in test marketing. I read that
> they
> brought it back because people kept asking for it after they yanked it.

They've come and gone a few times. I recall making them in '82, and some
sauce variations around that time or in '83. I was a college student then,
and anything called food was good enough. Seems like I ate quite a few of
them, and took extras home some nights. The bun, pickle, and onions were the
best part.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> That was my victory wine. So what are you drinking? Oh - wait,
> you don't get any victory wine tonight!

let's see here, how do i find the record of the 'mad cows'

oh, i remember, scroll down, and down, and down

joe
owner/manager of the thundering bottom-draggers

premier team of the abf football league

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
>>> :-) There is a law; the law of supply and demand. Says a lot about those
>>> doin' the demanding.

>> %<
>> Yeah, and the amazing thing is, CrackDonald's actually pulled the product
>> after they considered it to have failed in test marketing. I read that
>> they
>> brought it back because people kept asking for it after they yanked it.
>>

> They've come and gone a few times. I recall making them in '82, and some
> sauce variations around that time or in '83. I was a college student then,
> and anything called food was good enough. Seems like I ate quite a few of
> them, and took extras home some nights. The bun, pickle, and onions were the
> best part.

They're a 1-2 times a year product here in LV, and I see them
occasionally when traveling. I don't want to upset anyone or appear
unsofisticatered, but IMHO, they're not bad for a McDonald's mass market
product. I'd much rather have a good Carolina pulled pork sandwich with
slaw and a little Texas Pete on it, but when I'm wheeling through
Tonopah on my way up to Reno, a McRib with fresh onion pieces isn't all
that bad, and the sauce isn't much different than regular KC style.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> Yeah, and the amazing thing is, CrackDonald's actually pulled the product
> after they considered it to have failed in test marketing. I read that
> they brought it back because people kept asking for it after they yanked
> it.

My late Padrazz' took me to Tony Roma's in the Miami area, back in the
early 80's, before I had discovered real BBQ. I had some kinda ribs,
swimming in some kinda sweet sauce. I haven't been to a Tony Roma's since.
;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message

>> mexican,<<

Compadre's! It's south of Broken Arrow at 101st street
south and 145th street east. They also have one in Owasso
but I've never been to that one. Also there is LaMansion which
is on east 41st street between Mingo and Garnet.

Wilson's is one of my son's favorites, he is a firefighter and
works up that direction.

We live pretty close to Albert G's, I like it but my blonde wife has
some weird hang ups.

Cheerio's

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Compadre's! It's south of Broken Arrow at 101st street
> south and 145th street east. They also have one in Owasso
> but I've never been to that one. Also there is LaMansion which
> is on east 41st street between Mingo and Garnet.

thanks for the reccie.
the 'rents live near 36th and delaware, above the floods and the tornadoes
always seem to stop about a mile away.

joe
petersburg (where there are no reccies, but my house) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:49:06 -0800, Bill Riel wrote:
>
>> Good point - though I'll admit the place Janet recommended does look
>> pretty good!

> And I think her rec was appropriate.
>
> What's wrong with that, Dave?

I thought the OP was looking for a bbq place, not a general restaurant which
happens to have non-bbq ribs on the menu. I apologize if I was mistaken
about the OP wanting bbq.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> You really suck, you know? You're going down like a big
> undercooked, overtrimmed, smoked over sassafras brisket in the
> playoffs.

how can you be so mean to your ex-abf secret santa?

remember, i have your street address, you only have my po box..........

mad cows need to be put down..........

joe
bottom-dragger extraordinaire

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default where to eat in oklahoma.. make that Kansas City sauce

> Let me know if you're gonna be passing through KC and I'll try to direct
> you
> to a better selection, and send you home with a jar of my original.

pssst, hey Marty....I spend a week in downtown KC every year, last week of
June. In 2008 I'll have to visit Little Jake's Eat It and Beat It,
Smokestack, and Quick's. Been to all the others, lots of times.
Hayward's....don't remember that one though, might have to go back again. We
like BB's Lawnside for the music, and the Q ain't bad, either. Jack Stack is
my fave, but it's a bit pricey.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Let me know if you're gonna be passing through KC and I'll try to direct
> you
> to a better selection, and send you home with a jar of my original.
>
> MartyB in KC
> "Ah has spoken."

otay marty (said in my best eddie murphy doing buckwheat voice), you sold
me.
tell me when you hit the market and how i can mail order.

joe
petersburg (and if you say 'good mail rates to the 48 contiguous, but you
people in ak and hawaii are screwed....) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Nonny wrote, whilst kicking a nest of giant mutant Kansas City hornets:

Marty, I was painting things with too broad of a brush, and apologize.
Mrs. Nonny and I are from Marshall and grew up on Ocey Bruner's. He has
a neice or relative that still sells barbecue, on East Arrow in
Marshall, and it's a must-stop kind of place for us. Mrs. Nonny's a St.
Luke's grad, and I am a UMKC grad as well, with many friends and
classmates in the Raytown, Lees Summit and Liberty area. We get to KC
about yearly, still, and enjoy staying at the Embassy Suites, up by the
airport. I don't recall the name of the place just across the road from
the Embassy Suites, but it's a little barbecue place that has some
really good sauce. We usually get a mixed plate for each of us, to go,
and eat it while sucking down the free drinks at the Embassy Suite's
happy hour. <grin>

While I agree with you about Gates having some classic sauce, I guess
it's a matter of my old taste buds. Ocey Bruner's sauce was less sweet
than KC Masterpiece and probably close to Gates, but I still gravitate
personally a bit more toward the sweeter incarnations nowadays.

The next time we're passing through on the way to Marshall or visiting
friends in KC, I'll let you know and will pick up some suggestions about
where to go.

It's interesting, but having lived in NC for many years, I'm a fanatic
nowadays for plain old pulled pork. The cruel part is that the joints
we go to in the Carolinas also have fried chicken gizzards and livers,
leaving me with a very harsh decision to make. <Grin>

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Nov-2007, "JohnO" > wrote:

> > Let me know if you're gonna be passing through KC and I'll try to direct
> >
> > you
> > to a better selection, and send you home with a jar of my original.

> pssst, hey Marty....I spend a week in downtown KC every year, last week of
>
> June. In 2008 I'll have to visit Little Jake's Eat It and Beat It,
> Smokestack, and Quick's. Been to all the others, lots of times.
> Hayward's....don't remember that one though, might have to go back again.
> We
> like BB's Lawnside for the music, and the Q ain't bad, either. Jack Stack
> is
> my fave, but it's a bit pricey.
>
> -John O

The Devil's making me do this. John, you just have to check out "900 West"
in KC. Be sure to order a whiskey straight up from the well. They say a
Leopard never changes its spots, so they'll probably still be serving "Red
Steer" or something equally evil. It is (or was) an upscale yuppie bar,
popular at lunch time and early evening. (Survivors get bragging rights for
drinking from the well there)

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> The Devil's making me do this. John, you just have to check out "900 West"
> in KC. Be sure to order a whiskey straight up from the well. They say a
> Leopard never changes its spots, so they'll probably still be serving "Red
> Steer" or something equally evil. It is (or was) an upscale yuppie bar,
> popular at lunch time and early evening. (Survivors get bragging rights
> for
> drinking from the well there)

That sounds like the type of place I'd like to take some of my colleagues.
Where is this place?

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Nov-2007, "JohnO" > wrote:

> > The Devil's making me do this. John, you just have to check out "900
> > West"
> > in KC. Be sure to order a whiskey straight up from the well. They say a
> > Leopard never changes its spots, so they'll probably still be serving
> > "Red
> > Steer" or something equally evil. It is (or was) an upscale yuppie bar,
> > popular at lunch time and early evening. (Survivors get bragging rights
> > for
> > drinking from the well there)
> >

> That sounds like the type of place I'd like to take some of my colleagues.
>
> Where is this place?
>
> -John O

It looks like it may no longer be in business John. A search for "900 West"
anything in KC, MO came up blank. It appeared to be "The" place to be
seen in KC in 1973. The location and decor were memorable as was the
well whiskey. I had never heard of "Red Steer". I guessed from the taste
that it must have been aged at least two weeks, probably in a plastic
milk jug. I had a collegue from Anchorage, AK with me at the time who
though it was great stuff. It was hard to imagine what he was used to
drinking.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Lots of restaurants serve ribs, including Mcdonald's (McRib
>> sandwich). The OP isn't interested in a menu item, he's interested in
>> a specific cuisine
>> :-)

> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

> CrackDonald's manages to worm its way into everything! I had to send
> my girlfriend to rehab to get her off their Mocha/Cappucino products.
> :-)
>
> Well, actually, she's *very* frugal, and she figured out she was
> blowing $125 a month on that crap. I pulled my espresso machine out of
> storage and now all is well.
>
> I tasted McRibs years ago, when they were test marketing it. They
> weren't ribs. It was pressed and formed mystery meat intended to
> resemble ribs without the bones, in a really nasty sauce that was even
> more offensive than the alleged meat. Thinking about it makes me want
> to bleach my mouth. There oughta be a law.......
>
> MartyB in KC

Think "Soylent Green"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for al your response.

My friends are in the US right now. when they are back, I'll let you know
the results

Adriaan

"A. Kesteloo" > schreef in bericht
> Hi guys,
>
> Friends of mine are going to oklahoma. do you know a good bbq
> restaurant in oklahoma? A heard of a place called bob's bbq, but I
> don't know the adress and if it is any good.
>
> hope you can help me out
>
> Adriaan
> the Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:08:58 -0800, Nonnymus > wrote:
>

>> It's interesting, but having lived in NC for many years, I'm a fanatic
>> nowadays for plain old pulled pork. The cruel part is that the joints
>> we go to in the Carolinas also have fried chicken gizzards and livers,
>> leaving me with a very harsh decision to make. <Grin>
>>

> What's difficult about saying "both"?

I believe that Nonny is deeply involved with girth control.

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Dog Daze of Barbecue

Thanksgiving dinner was over, and there I was, looking out the window at
the backyard as I did the dishes. And then I saw my dog walk over to
the wood pile by the offset smoker. He sniffed the wood, lifted his leg
and let fly. He soaked the wood real good.

So, here's the question for people with more experience, and who are
farther into the zen of barbecue..... the dog had a look about him, like
he'd done this before. Still, the turkey tasted great, so I figure no
harm was done. Still, what should I do, now that I know?

Blow it off - if the turkey was OK, it's no big deal.

Praise him, after all, he might have made significant contributions to
the quality of the bird.

Give the wood to someone I don't especially like, buy fresh wood and
store it somewhere the dog can't get to it.

Other?

Whaddya think?
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:
> Thanksgiving dinner was over, and there I was, looking out the window at
> the backyard as I did the dishes. And then I saw my dog walk over to
> the wood pile by the offset smoker. He sniffed the wood, lifted his leg
> and let fly. He soaked the wood real good.
>
> So, here's the question for people with more experience, and who are
> farther into the zen of barbecue..... the dog had a look about him, like
> he'd done this before. Still, the turkey tasted great, so I figure no
> harm was done. Still, what should I do, now that I know?
>
> Blow it off - if the turkey was OK, it's no big deal.
>
> Praise him, after all, he might have made significant contributions to
> the quality of the bird.
>
> Give the wood to someone I don't especially like, buy fresh wood and
> store it somewhere the dog can't get to it.
>
> Other?
>
> Whaddya think?
> Mike

I've seen lot's of recipes that had 1/4 cup whiz as an ingredient. Or
was that Cheez-whiz? I dunno.

--
Dave T.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery > wrote in
news:mailman.15.1196220632.81989.alt.food.barbecue @mail.otherwhen.com:

> Whaddya think?