Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Riblets

I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for riblets, but
plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any suggestions for riblets?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Moos wrote:
> I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for
> riblets, but plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any
> suggestions for riblets?

Cook them hot and fast.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Harry Moos wrote:
>> I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for
>> riblets, but plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any
>> suggestions for riblets?

> Cook them hot and fast.

Hm, I've done 'em low and slow and they come out great.
Obviously they don't take as long but I've never had a
problem with that method. <shrug>

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Hm, I've done 'em low and slow and they come out great. Obviously they
> don't take as long but I've never had a problem with that method. <shrug>

Seconded. I've done them both ways. I've also presmoked then
grilled.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Appelbees grills them, then steams them. Someone suggested grilling them,
then putting them in the oven at 275 degrees on a rack in a pan of
water/liquid smoke for 2-5 hours. Anyone else tried this? BTW, I am using
a Traeger wood pellet grill/smoker, so I am thinking about grilling them at
300 and then smoking [180 degrees] with a pan of water on the grill.

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:53:50 -0600, Harry Moos wrote:
>
>> I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for riblets,
>> but
>> plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any suggestions for
>> riblets?

> Rub or marinate then grill them, don't smoke. Too dry to smoke.
> You can grill them over wood for smoky flavor.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

In Texas they are slow smoked after a generic rub. I purchase a rub from a
place called "GUY'S MEAT MARKET." Not an ad for any company, but they have
been selling this rub in their meat market since 1929.

I also use a home made rub of turmeric, ground cayenne, and ground cumin,
let them sit over night in the fridge. I then add grape seed oil and a
Louisiana hot sauce for four (4) hours before I smoke them for four (4)
hours at 150F.

I utilize oak since I have lots of oak from our last storm or purchase
Mesquite from a local vendor.

I have six kids, three of which in college, and most of their college
friends are over here too, hence as cheap as riblets are, (97 cents/lbs) we
go through those as snacks before most of our bar-b-ques or crawfish boils.

Another suggestion if you are doing any volume is the apple/orange juice
brine. I have an old ice chest I fill with a ice, water, brine (10% Kosher
salt)...then top it off with either orange or apple juice. I use three cans
of frozen juice just for ease and LOTS of ice. Let the riblets sit in the
ice chest with the brine/juice overnight and smoke for a standard
weight/time factor. Meat falls off the bone and very sweet. Hope that
helps...just found this group so new to your community but love competition
cooking and have two teams. But with six kids I stay busy just feeding my
own...LOL, enjoy.

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Harry Moos wrote:
> >> I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for
> >> riblets, but plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any
> >> suggestions for riblets?

> > Cook them hot and fast.
> >

> Hm, I've done 'em low and slow and they come out great.
> Obviously they don't take as long but I've never had a
> problem with that method. <shrug>
>
> --
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Moos wrote:
> Appelbees grills them, then steams them. Someone suggested grilling
> them, then putting them in the oven at 275 degrees on a rack in a pan
> of water/liquid smoke for 2-5 hours. Anyone else tried this? BTW, I
> am using a Traeger wood pellet grill/smoker, so I am thinking about
> grilling them at 300 and then smoking [180 degrees] with a pan of
> water on the grill.

I wouldn't do that if I were starving. There's a reason why places like
Applebees smothers that crap in sauce.

BTW, please don't top-post.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> In Texas they are slow smoked after a generic rub. I purchase a rub
> from a place called "GUY'S MEAT MARKET." Not an ad for any company,
> but they have been selling this rub in their meat market since 1929.
>
> I also use a home made rub of turmeric, ground cayenne, and ground
> cumin, let them sit over night in the fridge. I then add grape seed
> oil and a Louisiana hot sauce for four (4) hours before I smoke them
> for four (4) hours at 150F.
>
> I utilize oak since I have lots of oak from our last storm or purchase
> Mesquite from a local vendor.
>
> I have six kids, three of which in college, and most of their college
> friends are over here too, hence as cheap as riblets are, (97
> cents/lbs) we go through those as snacks before most of our
> bar-b-ques or crawfish boils.
>
> Another suggestion if you are doing any volume is the apple/orange
> juice brine. I have an old ice chest I fill with a ice, water, brine
> (10% Kosher salt)...then top it off with either orange or apple
> juice. I use three cans of frozen juice just for ease and LOTS of
> ice. Let the riblets sit in the ice chest with the brine/juice
> overnight and smoke for a standard weight/time factor. Meat falls
> off the bone and very sweet. Hope that helps...just found this group
> so new to your community but love competition cooking and have two
> teams. But with six kids I stay busy just feeding my own...LOL,
> enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this. BTW, please don't top-post.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

You know I have never really noticed them in most Bar-B-Que commercial
places. I know they are served at some fairs, i.e., the Galveston county
fair, and more an "in house" item between cooking teams. We serve ours to
our friends/family while waiting on our main entries. Just like wings, you
do not see a lot of competition cooking events in Texas for wings, pork,
whole hog, but still served.

Just a casual suggestion on how we cook and have seen said item served at
other competitions prior to events. Kroger, Safeway/Randall's, FoodArama,
Davis Food City, and Seller Brothers carry said product, hence assume there
is a small market for Pork Riblets. They tend to fall more in the lower
cut/quality as do most smoked meats in the south.

Although you are correct, you do not see pork riblets sold in most Bar-B-Que
houses, even in west Texas. You seem knowledgably on the products, any
suggestions to add on how to cook them or just making a general statement on
marketing?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:09:35 GMT,
> wrote:
>
> > In Texas they are slow smoked after a generic rub.

> I have never seen pork riblets served at any BBQ place in TX. No
> respectable place would dare try and sell riblets. I rarely see
> them in any of the stores, either.
>
> Must be a west Texas thang.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I wonder what the ratio of meat is to bone with riblets. I admit to
never having tried doing them myself, but have eaten them at Applebee's
on occasion. Despite the low price, my recollection is that they're
mostly bone and you have to work like the dickens to get enough meat to
chew on. The flavor was OK, as I recall, but they were too much work IMHO.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

"Harry Moos" > wrote in message
l.net...
>I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for
>riblets, but plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any
>suggestions for riblets?

Man!, It's tough to be a 73 year old dummy, but I don't know what
the heck these "riblets" are.

Would somebody please take pity and educate me?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 11, 6:00 pm, "Moe Jones" > wrote:

> Where do you find this rub? What city?

Moe - I think (not sure) that I saw this at the big Spec's gourmet
store over by the medical center in Houston. I may be wrong, but when
I was there last year at Christmas I seem to remember it being there.

http://guysseasoning.com

Drill down to "contact us" and there is a name and tel number to let
you get in touch. Seems they are having a "twofer" special as well.

Thanks for the link jhc.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote:
> In Texas they are slow smoked after a generic rub. . . .I smoke them for
> four (4) hours at 150F.

That sure is low cooking, jhc!

Anyhow, welcome to the group. Lookin' forward to some interesting posts.

Answer: Top posting.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Question: Name something that drives you crazy in News Groups.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob" > wrote:
> "Harry Moos" > wrote in message
>
> >I have ten pounds of riblets to smoke tomorrow. No recipes for
> >riblets, but plenty for country, baby back and spare ribs. Any
> >suggestions for riblets?
> >

> Man!, It's tough to be a 73 year old dummy, but I don't know what
> the heck these "riblets" are.
>
> Would somebody please take pity and educate me?

This one year younger than bobwhite awaits enlightenment on riblets, too.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> Man!, It's tough to be a 73 year old dummy, but I don't know what
>> the heck these "riblets" are.
>>
>> Would somebody please take pity and educate me?

> This one year younger than bobwhite awaits enlightenment on riblets, too.

Derrick Riches on About.com defines riblets as the thin strip trimmed from
the rack of back or spare ribs to straighten them out to make St. Louis
style ribs. The ones I get are probably 2:1 ratio meat to bone.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> >> This one year younger than bobwhite awaits enlightenment on

> riblets, too.
> >
> > Derrick Riches on About.com defines riblets as the thin strip
> > trimmed from the rack of back or spare ribs to straighten them out
> > to make St. Louis style ribs. The ones I get are probably 2:1
> > ratio meat to bone.

> That's what some people say, but they're wrong.

You're right. The other things are "rib tips", and aren't bad at all.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> You never see riblets barbecued around KC either.
>
> I usually see riblets in Southwest and Mexican style food, and
> sometimes in Asian food. I like them best slow cooked in a green
> chile stew until they are falling apart. They are prepared the same
> way as the chunks of pork you would usually find in the stew (aka
> Green Chili).
>
> MartyB in KC

Welcome aboard, Marty. Would you please not top-post. The preference is for
either interleaved or bottom-posting.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Okiedokie. Personally I don't like scrolling through other posts I've
> already read, but like they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do!
> Hope you won't mind if I cut out excessive spaces, sigs, ads, and so
> forth. They make the meat tough on my scrolling finger.

But then the person reading your post has to scroll down to understand the
context of what you are posting about, etc. You bet it is a good thing to
snip out the stuff you're not responding to. :-) I really appreciate your
attitude and look forward to your postings.

> Nice website, makes me hungry! What kind of pit do you use in your
> restaurant?

Thanks. I use an Ole Hickory, after spending a huge chunk of time vistiting
and checking out the pits of other manufacturers. It is tough to find a
production capacity pit that will mimic what you can do on a small scale.

At home I now use a Kamado.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > > You never see riblets barbecued around KC either.
> > > [ . . . ]

> > Welcome aboard, Marty. Would you please not top-post. The preference
> > is for either interleaved or bottom-posting.

> Okiedokie. Personally I don't like scrolling through other posts I've
> already read, but like they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do! Hope
> you won't mind if I cut out excessive spaces, sigs, ads, and so forth.
> They make the meat tough on my scrolling finger. []

Hi, Marty. Welcome to the Madhouse!

While I try to maintain the full chain of attributions, I get rid of sigs
and all lines that don't pertain to the part of the thread I'm replying to.
Try to avoid cross-posting, it attracts the wild dogs. Don't worry, in the
heat of battle, we all forget that occasionally. ;-)

If ya have any pics of yer food, or such, ya might post 'em over at
alt.binaries.food.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Nov-2007, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > > You never see riblets barbecued around KC either.

.. . .

> Okiedokie. Personally I don't like scrolling through other posts I've
> already read, but like they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do! Hope
> you
> won't mind if I cut out excessive spaces, sigs, ads, and so forth. They
> make the meat tough on my scrolling finger.
>
> Nice website, makes me hungry! What kind of pit do you use in your
> restaurant?
>
> MartyB in Rome

Vicious snipping is preferred Marty. Leave only that necessary to
identify what you're replying to. Interleave when you have to, replying
to individual portions as applicable.

Some folks quote and requote extremely long posts. That's not nice
either.

Welcome to one of the very best groups on the net.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> You never see riblets barbecued around KC either.

I have had them several times in Kansas City at Applebees. They are also
available fresh or frozen at Kroegers/Dillons. I buy ten-pound frozen
packages for 97 cents per pound.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "Harry Moos" > wrote in message
> l.net...
>>> You never see riblets barbecued around KC either.

>> I have had them several times in Kansas City at Applebees. They are
>> also available fresh or frozen at Kroegers/Dillons. I buy
>> ten-pound frozen packages for 97 cents per pound.
>>

> I guess I meant to say KC barbecue restaurants, but I didn't realize
> they were on Applebees menu.

Of course!!! That's where all the folks go who want reeeeeeel bbq.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Riblets Bob-tx[_2_] Barbecue 12 26-09-2010 06:34 AM
Pork Rib Tips and Riblets (Applebees) piedmont Barbecue 0 07-07-2009 02:35 AM
A Craving for Riblets and Change at Applebee's... Gregory Morrow[_62_] General Cooking 80 24-08-2008 06:58 PM
Pulled Pork -- what to do with already cooked pork with no spices added Dee.Dee General Cooking 25 18-11-2007 06:21 AM
Pickled Pork Riblets Peter[_6_] General Cooking 10 20-03-2007 03:47 PM