Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default scraped steak

When I was a kid, my Mom would occasionally make what she called
"scraped steak" burgers. She'd purchase a really cheap cut (?) and
would slice it about 1" thick. It'd then go on her cutting board and
she'd use a spoon to scrape the meat. The scrapings would accumulate and
eventually be formed into patties.

What I remember was that the patties had a very distinct flavor and
texture that was unlike hamburger. I've not even thought about her
scraped steak burgers for 50 years, I bet, but am now tempted to get
some chuck etc. and see if I can recreate it.

Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 8, 12:50 am, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?

> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

I've never heard of scraped steaks. However, in my humble, non-
professional, and somewhat clouded opinion, brought on by the
ingestion of pain-killers, it sounds at least somewhat, that the spoon
has been replaced by the food processor or meat grinder, in making
one's own burgers by grinding chuck, sirloin, or some similar roast.
However, I imagine that the taste of the final products would vary
somewhat significantly, due to the different methods of processing.
Geez- do pain pills make me sound really intelligent, or extremely
ignorant?!

JImnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 8, 12:50 am, Nonnymus > wrote:
>

>> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?

>> ---Nonnymus---
>> No matter how large your boat,
>> the person you are talking with will
>> have a close friend with a larger one.
>> ---Observation by my son

> I've never heard of scraped steaks. However, in my humble, non-
> professional, and somewhat clouded opinion, brought on by the
> ingestion of pain-killers, it sounds at least somewhat, that the spoon
> has been replaced by the food processor or meat grinder, in making
> one's own burgers by grinding chuck, sirloin, or some similar roast.
> However, I imagine that the taste of the final products would vary
> somewhat significantly, due to the different methods of processing.
> Geez- do pain pills make me sound really intelligent, or extremely
> ignorant?!

ignorant to us; really intelligent to you. that's how that stuff works.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:50:52 -0800, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?

> I've heard of scraped steaks and roasts in really old cookbooks
> (1800's or so). Steaks and roasts were scraped to get all the
> mold off.
>
> -sw

The idea behind it was to make an early version of "hamburger." My
recollection is that the taste and texture were different from ground
beef, since there was virtually no fat AND the scraping vs. grinding
also eliminated the connective tissue. I also recall that when Mom made
the scraped steak burgers, she'd freeze the remaining 'whatever you call
it' and would put it in a soup with bones and other beef parts, removing
them before serving it.

I was just wondering if this was something unique to Mom's cooking or
background (Pennsylvania) or was an older well known cooking technique
that i just haven't happened to read about.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:

> Interesting technique. I've not heard of it before, but it would be
> interesting to know what cut of meat she used. Flank steak maybe?
>
> Sounds awfully labor-intensive, though. You sure she didn't have a 100%
> Zirconium Carbide-Black spoon she was using? ;-)
>
> Bob

Yup- well, I'm drawing on memories of 50 years ago. My recollection was
that the yield of scraped off meat to what was left was pretty good, but
then I was a kid and just looking at her work as I passed through the
kitchen. i DO remember the spoon she used, since it was a big old metal
super-sized kitchen spoon. It wasn't sharpened or anything, but served
a general purpose in Mom's kitchen ranging from stirring to serving to
the scraping of steak occasionally. If I were to try it today, I'd use
my spoon from the grill set.

If I ever try it sometime, I'll report back.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:

> Interesting technique. I've not heard of it before, but it would be
> interesting to know what cut of meat she used. Flank steak maybe?
>
> Sounds awfully labor-intensive, though. You sure she didn't have a 100%
> Zirconium Carbide-Black spoon she was using? ;-)
>
> Bob

Yup- well, I'm drawing on memories of 50 years ago. My recollection was
that the yield of scraped off meat to what was left was pretty good, but
then I was a kid and just looking at her work as I passed through the
kitchen. i DO remember the spoon she used, since it was a big old metal
super-sized kitchen spoon. It wasn't sharpened or anything, but served
a general purpose in Mom's kitchen ranging from stirring to serving to
the scraping of steak occasionally. If I were to try it today, I'd use
my spoon from the grill set.

If I ever try it sometime, I'll report back.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:

> Interesting technique. I've not heard of it before, but it would be
> interesting to know what cut of meat she used. Flank steak maybe?
>
> Sounds awfully labor-intensive, though. You sure she didn't have a 100%
> Zirconium Carbide-Black spoon she was using? ;-)
>
> Bob

Yup- well, I'm drawing on memories of 50 years ago. My recollection was
that the yield of scraped off meat to what was left was pretty good, but
then I was a kid and just looking at her work as I passed through the
kitchen. i DO remember the spoon she used, since it was a big old metal
super-sized kitchen spoon. It wasn't sharpened or anything, but served
a general purpose in Mom's kitchen ranging from stirring to serving to
the scraping of steak occasionally. If I were to try it today, I'd use
my spoon from the grill set.

If I ever try it sometime, I'll report back.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:

> Interesting technique. I've not heard of it before, but it would be
> interesting to know what cut of meat she used. Flank steak maybe?
>
> Sounds awfully labor-intensive, though. You sure she didn't have a 100%
> Zirconium Carbide-Black spoon she was using? ;-)
>
> Bob

Yup- well, I'm drawing on memories of 50 years ago. My recollection was
that the yield of scraped off meat to what was left was pretty good, but
then I was a kid and just looking at her work as I passed through the
kitchen. i DO remember the spoon she used, since it was a big old metal
super-sized kitchen spoon. It wasn't sharpened or anything, but served
a general purpose in Mom's kitchen ranging from stirring to serving to
the scraping of steak occasionally. If I were to try it today, I'd use
my spoon from the grill set.

If I ever try it sometime, I'll report back.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:50:52 -0800, Nonnymus wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?

>> I've heard of scraped steaks and roasts in really old cookbooks
>> (1800's or so). Steaks and roasts were scraped to get all the
>> mold off.
>>
>> -sw

> The idea behind it was to make an early version of "hamburger." My
> recollection is that the taste and texture were different from ground
> beef, since there was virtually no fat AND the scraping vs. grinding also
> eliminated the connective tissue. I also recall that when Mom made the
> scraped steak burgers, she'd freeze the remaining 'whatever you call it'
> and would put it in a soup with bones and other beef parts, removing them
> before serving it.
>
> I was just wondering if this was something unique to Mom's cooking or
> background (Pennsylvania) or was an older well known cooking technique
> that i just haven't happened to read about.

What part of PA Nonny?

> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I've heard of scraped steaks and roasts in really old cookbooks
>>> (1800's or so). Steaks and roasts were scraped to get all the
>>> mold off.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> The idea behind it was to make an early version of "hamburger." My
>> recollection is that the taste and texture were different from ground
>> beef, since there was virtually no fat AND the scraping vs. grinding also
>> eliminated the connective tissue. I also recall that when Mom made the
>> scraped steak burgers, she'd freeze the remaining 'whatever you call it'
>> and would put it in a soup with bones and other beef parts, removing them
>> before serving it.
>>
>> I was just wondering if this was something unique to Mom's cooking or
>> background (Pennsylvania) or was an older well known cooking technique
>> that i just haven't happened to read about.
>>

> What part of PA Nonny?

Williamsport.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> 43fan wrote:

>>> The idea behind it was to make an early version of "hamburger." My
>>> recollection is that the taste and texture were different from ground
>>> beef, since there was virtually no fat AND the scraping vs. grinding
>>> also eliminated the connective tissue. I also recall that when Mom made
>>> the scraped steak burgers, she'd freeze the remaining 'whatever you call
>>> it' and would put it in a soup with bones and other beef parts, removing
>>> them before serving it.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering if this was something unique to Mom's cooking or
>>> background (Pennsylvania) or was an older well known cooking technique
>>> that i just haven't happened to read about.
>>>

>> What part of PA Nonny?
>>

> Williamsport.

Hmm, western PA here. Bedford County, little town called Hyndman. Live just
south of there in MD now. Didn't have scraped steak growing up, but I'm
sure there were a few other things we had that were pretty much unique to
the area.

> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Here is a reference I found on the web from an 1893 cookbook.

SCIENCE IN THE KITCHEN.

A Scientific Treatise on Food Substances and Their Dietetic Properties,
together with a Practical Explanation of the Principles of Healthful
Cookery, and a Large Number of Original, Palatable, and Wholesome Recipes.

by

MRS. E. E. KELLOGG, A.M.

Superintendent of the Sanitarium School of Cookery and of the Bay View
Assembly School of Cookery, and Chairman of the World's Fair Committee
on Food Supplies, for Michigan

1893

"SCRAPED STEAK.--Take a small piece of nice, juicy steak, and with a
blunt case-knife or tablespoon, scrape off all the pulp, being careful
to get none of the fibers. Press the pulp together in the form of
patties, and broil quickly over glowing coals. Salt lightly, and serve
hot. It is better to be as rare as the patient can take it. Instead of
butter, turn a spoonful or two of thick, hot beef juice over the steak,
if any dressing other than salt is required."

Fisher

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> When I was a kid, my Mom would occasionally make what she called "scraped
> steak" burgers. She'd purchase a really cheap cut (?) and would slice it
> about 1" thick. It'd then go on her cutting board and she'd use a spoon
> to scrape the meat. The scrapings would accumulate and eventually be
> formed into patties.
>
> What I remember was that the patties had a very distinct flavor and
> texture that was unlike hamburger. I've not even thought about her
> scraped steak burgers for 50 years, I bet, but am now tempted to get some
> chuck etc. and see if I can recreate it.
>
> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

L. Reither wrote:
> Here is a reference I found on the web from an 1893 cookbook.
>

> SCIENCE IN THE KITCHEN.
>
> A Scientific Treatise on Food Substances and Their Dietetic Properties,
> together with a Practical Explanation of the Principles of Healthful
> Cookery, and a Large Number of Original, Palatable, and Wholesome Recipes.
>
> by
>
> MRS. E. E. KELLOGG, A.M.
>
> Superintendent of the Sanitarium School of Cookery and of the Bay View
> Assembly School of Cookery, and Chairman of the World's Fair Committee
> on Food Supplies, for Michigan
>
> 1893
>

> "SCRAPED STEAK.--Take a small piece of nice, juicy steak, and with a
> blunt case-knife or tablespoon, scrape off all the pulp, being careful
> to get none of the fibers. Press the pulp together in the form of
> patties, and broil quickly over glowing coals. Salt lightly, and serve
> hot. It is better to be as rare as the patient can take it. Instead of
> butter, turn a spoonful or two of thick, hot beef juice over the steak,
> if any dressing other than salt is required."
>
> Fisher
>

> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> When I was a kid, my Mom would occasionally make what she called "scraped
>> steak" burgers. She'd purchase a really cheap cut (?) and would slice it
>> about 1" thick. It'd then go on her cutting board and she'd use a spoon
>> to scrape the meat. The scrapings would accumulate and eventually be
>> formed into patties.
>>
>> What I remember was that the patties had a very distinct flavor and
>> texture that was unlike hamburger. I've not even thought about her
>> scraped steak burgers for 50 years, I bet, but am now tempted to get some
>> chuck etc. and see if I can recreate it.
>>
>> Has anybody else ever eaten scraped steak or even heard of it?
>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---
>> No matter how large your boat,
>> the person you are talking with will
>> have a close friend with a larger one.
>> ---Observation by my son

Very interesting, and thank you very much for remembering my query. Mom
( b.1906) grew up in Williamsport PA, and I thought that perhaps it was
a regional dish, such as the incredible pineapple casserole she made.
The scraped steak for me began at our house about 1951, and was during a
time I had scarlet fever. She also made it for me when I had measles
and (along with turkey) I had any kind of childhood stomach upset. She
always touted the scraped steak as being "easy to digest" for a sick
person, Mom had a brother who died of the influenza c. 1917, so she
would certainly recall any palliative aids of that era for the sick;
that might be one of those. From the background of the lady writing the
recipe and her reference to "patients" in the recipe itself, it
certainly sounds like it was a food given to folks having stomach
problems or too weak to 'digest' regular foods.

Again, thank you for the reply.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:37:01 -0600, L. Reither wrote:
>
>> "SCRAPED STEAK.--Take a small piece of nice, juicy steak, and with a
>> blunt case-knife or tablespoon, scrape off all the pulp, being careful
>> to get none of the fibers. Press the pulp together in the form of
>> patties, and broil quickly over glowing coals. Salt lightly, and serve
>> hot. It is better to be as rare as the patient can take it. Instead of
>> butter, turn a spoonful or two of thick, hot beef juice over the steak,
>> if any dressing other than salt is required."

> Interesting reference. But I wonder what is the pulp, and what
> is the fiber? Do they mean gristle/fat is fiber?
>
> -sw

I'm thinking back way too many years, but the scraped steak burgers I
recall had a distinctive flavor and the texture was almost like a
reconstituted powder. They were very dry, as I recall. The meat held
together like hamburger. Mom used a large tablespoon to do the scraping
and what was left over, as I recall, was like an old sponge. Ugly.
About all that came off from the scraping was pure muscle fiber and any
untrimmed fat, so everything else was left. The remainder would go into
her vegetable beef stew whole, so it was easy to locate and remove
before serving. The dog loved it. <grin> She'd obviously put in
unscraped meat for consumption in the stew, but used the leftover from
scraping to add whatever would remain to the stew or soup.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:37:01 -0600, L. Reither wrote:
>
>> "SCRAPED STEAK.--Take a small piece of nice, juicy steak, and with a
>> blunt case-knife or tablespoon, scrape off all the pulp, being careful
>> to get none of the fibers. Press the pulp together in the form of
>> patties, and broil quickly over glowing coals. Salt lightly, and serve
>> hot. It is better to be as rare as the patient can take it. Instead of
>> butter, turn a spoonful or two of thick, hot beef juice over the steak,
>> if any dressing other than salt is required."

> Interesting reference. But I wonder what is the pulp, and what
> is the fiber? Do they mean gristle/fat is fiber?
>
> -sw

My eldest was a very finicky eater as a baby. She despised jarred baby
food. My mother told me to take a fork and scrape a piece of beef, lamb
chop or chicken and feed the scrapings to the baby. The baby did seem to
like it better than jarred food.

I'd never heard of using that technique for sick people, but if a baby
can digest scraped meat, it makes sense.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation