Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Questions for the steak grilling experts.

I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
the perfect steak.

After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.

The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.

Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
more flavourful.

Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.

I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
$60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
credible or plausible? Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message

> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.

> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
> credible or plausible? Thanks.

Yes, it does sound plausible. Prime rib seems to have tow camps, the high
heat and the low heat. IMO< It comes down to preference.

If you take a rib roast and cook it at high heat, you get a pink inside and
a more well done outside inch or so giving a contrasting flavor. Slow
cooking gives a nice pink all the way but you don't get the crusty outside.

I've been to places (and people here have done it) where a rib roast is
smoked slow for some few hours, then sliced and seared as you suggest here.
While 24 hours seems long, at that low of a temperature no serious harm
should come of it. Keep in mind that when you wake up in the morning the
food police may be at your door since it is below 140 degrees and unfit to
eat.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:41:34 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>>
>> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
>> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
>> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.

>> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
>> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
>> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
>> credible or plausible? Thanks.

>Yes, it does sound plausible. Prime rib seems to have tow camps, the high
>heat and the low heat. IMO< It comes down to preference.
>
>If you take a rib roast and cook it at high heat, you get a pink inside and
>a more well done outside inch or so giving a contrasting flavor. Slow
>cooking gives a nice pink all the way but you don't get the crusty outside.
>
>I've been to places (and people here have done it) where a rib roast is
>smoked slow for some few hours, then sliced and seared as you suggest here.
>While 24 hours seems long, at that low of a temperature no serious harm
>should come of it. Keep in mind that when you wake up in the morning the
>food police may be at your door since it is below 140 degrees and unfit to
>eat.

LOL. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. And thanks for your thoughts on
this. May be I will go pick up a forerib of beef after all. :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
>> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
>> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.

>> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
>> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
>> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
>> credible or plausible? Thanks.

> Yes, it does sound plausible. Prime rib seems to have tow camps, the high
> heat and the low heat. IMO< It comes down to preference.
>
> If you take a rib roast and cook it at high heat, you get a pink inside and
> a more well done outside inch or so giving a contrasting flavor. Slow
> cooking gives a nice pink all the way but you don't get the crusty outside.
>
> I've been to places (and people here have done it) where a rib roast is
> smoked slow for some few hours, then sliced and seared as you suggest here.
> While 24 hours seems long, at that low of a temperature no serious harm
> should come of it. Keep in mind that when you wake up in the morning the
> food police may be at your door since it is below 140 degrees and unfit to
> eat.

There was a place in Raleigh NC that had a special called "Blackened
Prime Rib." It was cooked a long time at a low temp, and when ordered,
was sprinkled with a Lawry's-type of seasoning and tossed into an
extremely hot skillet briefly. It wasn't my cup of tea, but we had
friends who swore by it.

When it comes to a bone in rib roast, rare is all I want. Frankly, I
don't even want the meat- give old NONNY a couple of those rib bones
with meat attached and I'm happy.
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
> the perfect steak.
>
> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>
> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>
> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
> more flavourful.
>
> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>
> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
> credible or plausible? Thanks.

You should sear the outside, and then lower the temp.
To do this:
First, slather the roast, particularly the cut ends, with bacon fat or
rendered salt pork fat. Put it on a Weber kettle[22", not the smaller one]
indirectly, with a drip pan underneath, with a couple of chunks of wood on
the charcoal bed. The grate temp should be about 425F. Close almost of the
all vents and let the grill temp. drop to 300F. When the internal temp of
the standing rib reaches 112F, put the roast in a warming oven or warm place
for 25 min. During that time make your Yorkshire pudding from the pan
drippings.
The next hour will be orgiastic, especially if joined with 1978 Ch.
Gruaud-Larose, St. Julien, as it was tonight.
Cheers,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:35:27 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
>> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
>> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
>> the perfect steak.
>>
>> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
>> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
>> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>>
>> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
>> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
>> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
>> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
>> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>>
>> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
>> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
>> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
>> more flavourful.
>>
>> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
>> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
>> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>>
>> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
>> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
>> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
>> credible or plausible? Thanks.
>>

>You should sear the outside, and then lower the temp.
>To do this:
>First, slather the roast, particularly the cut ends, with bacon fat or
>rendered salt pork fat. Put it on a Weber kettle[22", not the smaller one]
>indirectly, with a drip pan underneath, with a couple of chunks of wood on
>the charcoal bed. The grate temp should be about 425F. Close almost of the
>all vents and let the grill temp. drop to 300F. When the internal temp of
>the standing rib reaches 112F, put the roast in a warming oven or warm place
>for 25 min. During that time make your Yorkshire pudding from the pan
>drippings.
>The next hour will be orgiastic, especially if joined with 1978 Ch.
>Gruaud-Larose, St. Julien, as it was tonight.
>Cheers,
>Kent

Great, great, thanks for the feedback. Same goes to Nonny :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
> the perfect steak.
>
> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>
> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>
> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
> more flavourful.
>
> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>
> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
> credible or plausible? Thanks.

I'd be a bit concerned at the food safety issues with this recipe. 122F is
not hot enough to kill bacteria, and left at that temperature for 24 hours,
you could have some significant bacterial growth. I would, at very least,
sear the outside of the meat thoroughly, to kill any surface bacteria,
before putting it in this low an oven. But even then this recipe would get
you sited by the health inspector here in Virginia, USA if your were cooking
it in a commercial environment. The health inspector requires food not be
left in the "danger zone" of 45-140F for more than 4 hours. Of course home
and commercial situations are different, but they make those rules for a
reason.

I also wonder how you can put a sear on the cut steaks that have been taken
to an internal temp of 122F without cooking the steak through.

If it were me, I'd give the roast a good rub of kosher salt and course
ground pepper, and put it in a very hot oven till it's internal temp reaches
125 - 130F. Wonderful, crispy crust and rare center. I've always preferred
this to the slow cooked 'prime rib' treatment of the cut.

Cheers
Mo

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mo" > wrote in message
> "Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
>> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
>> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
>> the perfect steak.
>>
>> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
>> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
>> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>>
>> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
>> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
>> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
>> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
>> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>>
>> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
>> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
>> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
>> more flavourful.
>>
>> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
>> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
>> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>>
>> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
>> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
>> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
>> credible or plausible? Thanks.
>>

> I'd be a bit concerned at the food safety issues with this recipe. 122F is
> not hot enough to kill bacteria, and left at that temperature for 24
> hours, you could have some significant bacterial growth. I would, at very
> least, sear the outside of the meat thoroughly, to kill any surface
> bacteria, before putting it in this low an oven. But even then this recipe
> would get you sited by the health inspector here in Virginia, USA if your
> were cooking it in a commercial environment. The health inspector requires
> food not be left in the "danger zone" of 45-140F for more than 4 hours. Of
> course home and commercial situations are different, but they make those
> rules for a reason.
>
> I also wonder how you can put a sear on the cut steaks that have been
> taken to an internal temp of 122F without cooking the steak through.
>
> If it were me, I'd give the roast a good rub of kosher salt and course
> ground pepper, and put it in a very hot oven till it's internal temp
> reaches 125 - 130F. Wonderful, crispy crust and rare center. I've always
> preferred this to the slow cooked 'prime rib' treatment of the cut.
>
> Cheers
> Mo

If you roast standing rib in a hot oven the center will be rare but most of
the roast won't. You have to do something to sear, and then drop the temp.
to roast it slowly to 115F, then rest for 30 min. while baking the Yorkshire
pudding. That will give you more end to end rare beef. You aren't really
searing, rather, just sealing the ends of the roast[slathered with bacon
fat] to keep the beef stock inside.

Cheers,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> [...]

>> I also wonder how you can put a sear on the cut steaks that have been
>> taken to an internal temp of 122F without cooking the steak through.
>>
>> If it were me, I'd give the roast a good rub of kosher salt and course
>> ground pepper, and put it in a very hot oven till it's internal temp
>> reaches 125 - 130F. Wonderful, crispy crust and rare center. I've always
>> preferred this to the slow cooked 'prime rib' treatment of the cut.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mo
>>

> If you roast standing rib in a hot oven the center will be rare but most of
> the roast won't. You have to do something to sear, and then drop the temp.
> to roast it slowly to 115F, then rest for 30 min. while baking the Yorkshire
> pudding. That will give you more end to end rare beef. You aren't really
> searing, rather, just sealing the ends of the roast[slathered with bacon

searing a piece of meat does not keep the juices in. It does, however,
cause a Maillard reaction, which makes it tastier.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:22:06 -0500, "Mo" > wrote:

>"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
>> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
>> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
>> the perfect steak.
>>
>> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
>> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
>> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>>
>> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
>> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
>> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
>> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
>> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>>
>> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
>> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
>> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
>> more flavourful.
>>
>> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
>> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
>> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>>
>> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
>> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
>> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
>> credible or plausible? Thanks.
>>

>I'd be a bit concerned at the food safety issues with this recipe. 122F is
>not hot enough to kill bacteria, and left at that temperature for 24 hours,
>you could have some significant bacterial growth. I would, at very least,
>sear the outside of the meat thoroughly, to kill any surface bacteria,
>before putting it in this low an oven. But even then this recipe would get
>you sited by the health inspector here in Virginia, USA if your were cooking
>it in a commercial environment. The health inspector requires food not be
>left in the "danger zone" of 45-140F for more than 4 hours. Of course home
>and commercial situations are different, but they make those rules for a
>reason.
>
>I also wonder how you can put a sear on the cut steaks that have been taken
>to an internal temp of 122F without cooking the steak through.
>
>If it were me, I'd give the roast a good rub of kosher salt and course
>ground pepper, and put it in a very hot oven till it's internal temp reaches
>125 - 130F. Wonderful, crispy crust and rare center. I've always preferred
>this to the slow cooked 'prime rib' treatment of the cut.

Hi Mo! Sorry, I forgot to mention that on the show I watched,
Blumenthal took a blow torch and seared the outside surface very well.
He mentioned that one of the reasons is to kill any surface bacteria,
just like you mentioned, and also to trap the moisture as well.

But you and Kent has given me great ideas for me to try out next time.
I did give Blumenthal's method a try over last weekend. I picked up a
blow torch, gave the hunk of meat a 3rd degree burn all around, then
plunked it in a quasi roaster I have, since my oven wouldn't go as low
as 50C/122F, even with the door fully opened.

After 24 hours, the outside needed to be trimmed off since it dried
out quite a bit. But what I did notice was a much more tender meat.
I like my steaks bloody rare, but my wife and my girls prefer them
medium-well done. And they have always quipped that the steak was a
little on the tough side. Well, duh, what do they expect?

However, this time, they all said that the meat was very tender. And
this despite that I had grilled their steaks closer to being welldone
than medium-welldone. I think as long as I get my cuts of meat from a
quality and respectable place, I'll have a less chance of getting
getting a chunk prone to spoilage. Hopefully

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:

>>> I'd be a bit concerned at the food safety issues with this recipe. 122F
>>> is not hot enough to kill bacteria, and left at that temperature for 24
>>> hours, you could have some significant bacterial growth. I would, at
>>> very least, sear the outside of the meat thoroughly, to kill any surface
>>> bacteria, before putting it in this low an oven. But even then this
>>> recipe would get you sited by the health inspector here in Virginia, USA
>>> if your were cooking it in a commercial environment. The health
>>> inspector requires food not be left in the "danger zone" of 45-140F for
>>> more than 4 hours. Of course home and commercial situations are
>>> different, but they make those rules for a reason.
>>>
>>> I also wonder how you can put a sear on the cut steaks that have been
>>> taken to an internal temp of 122F without cooking the steak through.
>>>
>>> If it were me, I'd give the roast a good rub of kosher salt and course
>>> ground pepper, and put it in a very hot oven till it's internal temp
>>> reaches 125 - 130F. Wonderful, crispy crust and rare center. I've always
>>> preferred this to the slow cooked 'prime rib' treatment of the cut.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Mo
>>>

>> If you roast standing rib in a hot oven the center will be rare but most
>> of the roast won't. You have to do something to sear, and then drop the
>> temp. to roast it slowly to 115F, then rest for 30 min. while baking the
>> Yorkshire pudding. That will give you more end to end rare beef. You
>> aren't really searing, rather, just sealing the ends of the
>> roast[slathered with bacon fat] to keep the beef stock inside.
>>

> searing a piece of meat does not keep the juices in. It does, however,
> cause a Maillard reaction, which makes it tastier.
>
> Sarah Gray

One could argue that either way. However, I think a very thing coating of
fat on the meat surface seals and keeps juices inside. I do this with steak
grilled directly, always with fish or chicken.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Nov-2007, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
> > Kent wrote:

<snip>

> > searing a piece of meat does not keep the juices in. It does, however,
> > cause a Maillard reaction, which makes it tastier.
> >
> > Sarah Gray
> >

> One could argue that either way. However, I think a very thing coating of
> fat on the meat surface seals and keeps juices inside. I do this with
> steak
> grilled directly, always with fish or chicken.
>
> Kent

Is there some reason why you couldn't have snipped the majority of that
post and still made your point?

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> Is there some reason why you couldn't have snipped the majority of that
> post and still made your point?

Brick, If you switch to using Thunderbird as a newsgroup
reader vs News Rover 12.3.0, and download an addon named
"QuoteCollapse" it automatically collapses the attached
posts. You can expand the collapsed sections if you need to
see what's being referenced.

Kents massive post was just 8 lines when I opened it
including the attributions and signature.
Here's what it looked like to me. The "+" character will
expand the collapsed portions should you want to.
http://i1.tinypic.com/6sw1hte.jpg

Makes life a lot easier in this day of people who don't
prune posts. Unfortunately, no one has come up with an
extension to correct top posting. :-(

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> What I don't get about this thread is that standing rib roast is not steak,

Point of order: um... no... what you don't get is how to
snip a post. No one in their right mind is going to spend
the time wading through the "book" you posted

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 21, 11:19 am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > What I don't get about this thread is that standing rib roast is not steak,

> Point of order: um... no... what you don't get is how to
> snip a post. No one in their right mind is going to spend
> the time wading through the "book" you posted
>
> --
> Steve

I didn't read it either. I have enough great American novels.
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Didn't you just post about how your Thunderbird fixed that problem
> and that didn't bother you? And isn't that why the group wants it at
> the bottom, so you know where to find it?

That's sort of a false hobson's choice: it isn't an either-or issue. The
group wants text to follow the same pattern conversational speech follows.
You can effectively interleave a response, as I'm doing. Or you can trim out
all of the text to which you are not responding, leaving only that portion
intact to which you choose to reply to.

> I get it just fine, thanks,
> and I see you made it to the first line of my post anyway, the rest
> of which was all in one piece. If you don't want to read it, just hit
> delete or move on.

True, that is one choice. But I open up a post because I'm interested in
what the author has to say; I have decided that what he says is worth my
time and generally has value. Why would someone take the time to make an
informative post if they didn't want folks to read what they have to say.

> There were lots of attributions and it would take all day to snip and
> yet keep them all.

It takes me no time at all to highlight and delete the text which I want to
trim. I do so because it is courteous to the reader and it makes my posting
more understandable.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> [...]

It was still ridiculous. Yes, Thunderbird DID collapse the
MULTITUDE of threads that you so lazily did not snip.

Point of order II: It's considered VERY poor manners to
email replies.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

I think I give up on this one.....

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> ======================
> What I don't get about this thread is that standing rib roast is not steak,
> its a roast, the king of all beef roasts. Individual slices off the whole
> rib, cut as steak, are called rib eye steak or delmonico steak, which are
> grilled like most steaks. But they are different treatments of the same cut
> of meat yielding different results.
>
> I favor a combination of medium-low and high heat to do a standing rib.
> However I agree with other posters that (unless its a very small rib roast,
> maybe 2 bones) its not going to cook fast enough at 122F to stay within
> safety standards. For my taste, it has to have some time in high heat to get
> a nice flavorful crust, and to make the kind of crispy pan goodies that turn
> into wonderful au jus.
>
> If you are willing to go to some extra trouble, this recipe for standing rib
> roast from Alton Brown gives spectacular results:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17372,00.html

Thank you for an excellent post. I agree with rubbing a little CYM on
even a beef roast to help hold on the spice.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:59:29 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
>> I think I give up on this one.....

> Your privilege--but he's knowledgeable and expresses himself rather
> well, overall. I've seen you accept unsnipped postings from many
> others over the time I've been in afb, so what's the big deal this
> week?
>
> -denny-

I'll just have to loose out then. What's the big deal? Did
you actually look at the post I replied to? And then the
followon? Couple that with the fact that I received an email
and it adds up to someone I probably would be better off
ignoring and setting my server to bounce emails from them.

The big deal is of the BS that they were too lazy to snip.
We're not taking a few lines here we're talking MAJOR lazy.
I expanded all of the collapsed garbage just to see if it
was needed for the reply, it wasn't.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:58:11 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
>> Point of order II: It's considered VERY poor manners to
>> email replies.

> Point of order 1: In several groups, it's considered VERY VERY rude to
> NOT p&e replies. ("p&e" = post and mail)
>
> I don't consider it the least rude. (posting an email another sent
> you, w/o getting their permission first--that's rude. Sometimes
> justified, but always rude)
>
> -denny-

You two deserve each other

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Nov-2007, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > Is there some reason why you couldn't have snipped the majority of that
> > post and still made your point?
> >

> Brick, If you switch to using Thunderbird as a newsgroup
> reader vs News Rover 12.3.0, and download an addon named
> "QuoteCollapse" it automatically collapses the attached
> posts. You can expand the collapsed sections if you need to
> see what's being referenced.
>
> Kents massive post was just 8 lines when I opened it
> including the attributions and signature.
> Here's what it looked like to me. The "+" character will
> expand the collapsed portions should you want to.
> http://i1.tinypic.com/6sw1hte.jpg
>
> Makes life a lot easier in this day of people who don't
> prune posts. Unfortunately, no one has come up with an.
> extension to correct top posting. :-(
>
> --
> Steve

I hear what you're saying Steve. But so far, I haven't found a newsreader
that doesn't have holes in it. I can't get Thunderbird to let me use my
external picture viewer. Besides, some folks need to be told now and
then that their personal habits are objectionable to others.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> I hear what you're saying Steve. But so far, I haven't found a newsreader
> that doesn't have holes in it. I can't get Thunderbird to let me use my
> external picture viewer. Besides, some folks need to be told now and
> then that their personal habits are objectionable to others.

Can't argue with ya on that. They all have shortcomings of
some sort.

No argument about your second point either. Having one of
those myself right about now. Sometimes I just can't
shutup... Not that I'm opinionated or anything. ;-D

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:54:35 -0800, Nonnymus > wrote:

>Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> ======================
>> What I don't get about this thread is that standing rib roast is not steak,
>> its a roast, the king of all beef roasts. Individual slices off the whole
>> rib, cut as steak, are called rib eye steak or delmonico steak, which are
>> grilled like most steaks. But they are different treatments of the same cut
>> of meat yielding different results.
>>
>> I favor a combination of medium-low and high heat to do a standing rib.
>> However I agree with other posters that (unless its a very small rib roast,
>> maybe 2 bones) its not going to cook fast enough at 122F to stay within
>> safety standards. For my taste, it has to have some time in high heat to get
>> a nice flavorful crust, and to make the kind of crispy pan goodies that turn
>> into wonderful au jus.
>>
>> If you are willing to go to some extra trouble, this recipe for standing rib
>> roast from Alton Brown gives spectacular results:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17372,00.html

>Thank you for an excellent post. I agree with rubbing a little CYM on
>even a beef roast to help hold on the spice.
>
>Nonny

Yeah, I appreciated the post as well, NB :-) I knew about AB's
method of roasting standing rib, but haven't been able to find me a
big enough terracotta like the one in his video. Thanks for a good
read with the rest of the replay as well!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Nov-2007, Pierre > wrote:

> On Nov 21, 11:19 am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > > What I don't get about this thread is that standing rib roast is not
> > > steak,

> > Point of order: um... no... what you don't get is how to
> > snip a post. No one in their right mind is going to spend
> > the time wading through the "book" you posted
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> I didn't read it either. I have enough great American novels.
> Pierre

I read the first one. I feel slighted, abused and unwanted.
I did so want to be known as the king of longwinded posters. Now
I don't even have that to brag about.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:10:22 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>You two deserve each other

You got THAT big a problem with folk who don't share your every
opinion? <shrugs>
If so, I feel sorry for you.

-denny-
--

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.