Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default ceramic knife

Several months ago, I decided to try one of those ceramic knives you see
mentioned occasionally on TV cooking shows or in catalogs. I did a
little reading and found out that there are are 3 basic types: White
(Zirconium Oxide), Black (Zirconium Oxide with color) and Black
(Zirconium Carbide. The carbide version is harder and tougher than the
white and "fake" black versions. I ordered a small paring knife from
Eagle Knives and it arrived a few days later.

First of all, it is sharp! I really keep knives well tended and
sharpened, so I won't try telling you it was the sharpest knife in the
drawer, but it was sharp enough that if it was a steel knife, I'd not
feel the need to fiddle with it.

I've now used it almost exclusively as my small knife and like it enough
that I ordered a couple more to give to the kids. Unlike the earliest
ceramic or glass knives, the thing seems plenty tough and so far, it's
survived a couple falls to the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen. From
what I've read. the current generation of ceramic knives are tough
enough that unless you use them to pry, open cans or "dig" out a bone,
you can reasonably expect them to hold up. Chipping might still be a
problem, but so far my blade is still perfect- even after the two spills.

If any of you have used a ceramic knife, I'd appreciate hearing any tips
or thoughts on the subject. In the meantime, I recommend the line Eagle
sells heartily as top quality without the added price of the Kyocera's
advertising and touting.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 6, 10:16 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:

> I ordered a small paring knife from
> Eagle Knives and it arrived a few days later.

Hello, Nonny. I looked around and couldn't find Eagle Knives that
sold kitchen ware. Lots of Eagle knives out there, though.

Do you have a website or a link?

This could be a great Christmas gift for my sharpenign impaired
relatives.

TIA

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Several months ago, I decided to try one of those ceramic knives you see
> mentioned occasionally on TV cooking shows or in catalogs. I did a
> little reading and found out that there are are 3 basic types: White
> (Zirconium Oxide), Black (Zirconium Oxide with color) and Black
> (Zirconium Carbide. The carbide version is harder and tougher than the
> white and "fake" black versions. I ordered a small paring knife from
> Eagle Knives and it arrived a few days later.
>
> First of all, it is sharp! I really keep knives well tended and
> sharpened, so I won't try telling you it was the sharpest knife in the
> drawer, but it was sharp enough that if it was a steel knife, I'd not
> feel the need to fiddle with it.
>
> I've now used it almost exclusively as my small knife and like it enough
> that I ordered a couple more to give to the kids. Unlike the earliest
> ceramic or glass knives, the thing seems plenty tough and so far, it's
> survived a couple falls to the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen. From
> what I've read. the current generation of ceramic knives are tough
> enough that unless you use them to pry, open cans or "dig" out a bone,
> you can reasonably expect them to hold up. Chipping might still be a
> problem, but so far my blade is still perfect- even after the two spills.
>
> If any of you have used a ceramic knife, I'd appreciate hearing any tips
> or thoughts on the subject. In the meantime, I recommend the line Eagle
> sells heartily as top quality without the added price of the Kyocera's
> advertising and touting.
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

I got one of the white ones from Eagle several years ago. It wasn't
sharp...I sent it back for a resharpen . They sent me a new one. It wasn't
sharp.I have no idea where it is now. It is of no use. I didn't have luck
with it. It seems others have.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Nov 6, 10:16 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
>> I ordered a small paring knife from
>> Eagle Knives and it arrived a few days later.

> Hello, Nonny. I looked around and couldn't find Eagle Knives that
> sold kitchen ware. Lots of Eagle knives out there, though.
>
> Do you have a website or a link?
>
> This could be a great Christmas gift for my sharpenign impaired
> relatives.
>
> TIA
>
> Robert

http://www.urieagle.com/

Be sure to not confuse a "black blade" of Zirconia oxide with the real
black blade made of zirconia CARBIDE.

Incidentally, these guys seem to be square shooters. I ordered 3 of the
ceramic vegetable peelers (won't make some things turn dark like an iron
blade). The box shipped contained just one, though the packing slip and
invoice showed 3. I sent them an email- it was just my word against the
packing list. They immediately responded with 2 more. I write it up as
an honest mistake between people dealing in good faith.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jack Sloan wrote:

> I got one of the white ones from Eagle several years ago. It wasn't
> sharp...I sent it back for a resharpen . They sent me a new one. It wasn't
> sharp.I have no idea where it is now. It is of no use. I didn't have luck
> with it. It seems others have.

FWIW, their own website includes a review of ceramic blades and comments
that their own knife was not delivered as sharp as the competitors.
They must have taken corrective action, since my little paring knife can
shave the hair on the back of my forearm.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 7, 1:41 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:

> They must have taken corrective action, since my >little paring knife can
> shave the hair on the back of my forearm.

Nonny - still sounds great. But in reference to my original post

I am having trouble finding the correct
Eagle knives. Could you please give
me the correct address or link?

When I Googled, there were many Eagle made knives, etc. but I couldn't
find the website you described, where you bought yours.

Thanks.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Nov 7, 1:41 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
>> They must have taken corrective action, since my >little paring knife can
>> shave the hair on the back of my forearm.

> Nonny - still sounds great. But in reference to my original post
>
> I am having trouble finding the correct
> Eagle knives. Could you please give
> me the correct address or link?
>
> When I Googled, there were many Eagle made knives, etc. but I couldn't
> find the website you described, where you bought yours.

This is their site:
http://www.urieagle.com/ Then, click on "ceramic
knives" on the left and scroll down to the ones with the black blades
for descriptions.

Clicking on "BUY NOW" in the left column takes you to a list of dealers,
including their own FACTORY OUTLET STORE under Ceramic knives for less:
http://store.urieagle.biz/ The offer I ordered to split up and
give to my kids is http://store.urieagle.biz/3setofbldibl.html

While on the subject of sharpness and ceramic knives, I have a 3-grit
diamond sharpening set. Each of the pads is approximately 6" X 2" and
is charged with coarse, medium and fine diamond dust. My guess is that
the grits are in the 600, 1000 and 1500 range. Not being blessed with
as much caution as a normal adult, today I did a little experiment with
the finest grit pad. I laid it on my workbench and ran the BACK of my
paring knife across it a few times to see what happened. The result was
a black "dust" on the diamond grit pad, which tells me that when my
paring knife does eventually dull, I can sharpen it myself. It won't be
for quite a while, I'd say, but when the knife eventually gets dull, I'm
pretty sure I can restore an edge without having to send it in.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Nov 7, 1:41 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
>> They must have taken corrective action, since my >little paring knife can
>> shave the hair on the back of my forearm.

> Nonny - still sounds great. But in reference to my original post
>
> I am having trouble finding the correct
> Eagle knives. Could you please give
> me the correct address or link?
>
> When I Googled, there were many Eagle made knives, etc. but I couldn't
> find the website you described, where you bought yours.

This is their site:
http://www.urieagle.com/ Then, click on "ceramic
knives" on the left and scroll down to the ones with the black blades
for descriptions.

Clicking on "BUY NOW" in the left column takes you to a list of dealers,
including their own FACTORY OUTLET STORE under Ceramic knives for less:
http://store.urieagle.biz/ The offer I ordered to split up and
give to my kids is http://store.urieagle.biz/3setofbldibl.html

While on the subject of sharpness and ceramic knives, I have a 3-grit
diamond sharpening set. Each of the pads is approximately 6" X 2" and
is charged with coarse, medium and fine diamond dust. My guess is that
the grits are in the 600, 1000 and 1500 range. Not being blessed with
as much caution as a normal adult, today I did a little experiment with
the finest grit pad. I laid it on my workbench and ran the BACK of my
paring knife across it a few times to see what happened. The result was
a black "dust" on the diamond grit pad, which tells me that when my
paring knife does eventually dull, I can sharpen it myself. It won't be
for quite a while, I'd say, but when the knife eventually gets dull, I'm
pretty sure I can restore an edge without having to send it in.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 8, 12:11 am, Nonnymus > wrote:

> This is their site: http://www.urieagle.com/ Then, click on "ceramic
> knives" on the left and scroll down to the ones with the black blades
> for descriptions.

Thanks a bunch, Nonny. Goin' there now.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 1:41 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...ueceramic.html

Thanks for the URL, Shawn. I'm gonna get that 6" Chef's knife, black blade
for Jun's birthday, which is about five weeks from now.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Shawn > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> On Nov 7, 1:41 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...ueceramic.html

> Thanks for the URL, Shawn. I'm gonna get that 6" Chef's knife, black blade
> for Jun's birthday, which is about five weeks from now.

You're welcome. (sleep lightly)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Shawn > wrote:

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...ueceramic.html

> > Thanks for the URL, Shawn. I'm gonna get that 6" Chef's knife, black
> > blade for Jun's birthday, which is about five weeks from now.
> >

> You're welcome. (sleep lightly)

LMAO She's had many opportunites, has bigger knives and a chain saw! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~