Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Summery weather yesterday

It was very warm and breezy yesterday, somewhere well into the 80s. I
had the WSM fired up to do a butt (part of my campaign to use up
everything in the freezer ASAP.

I hadn't had such a windy day before, and temps were a bit unstable at
first. I usually have all three bottom vents about at about 1/4 open or
so. I ended up just closing the one on the windward side completely and
slightly increasing the other two. That seemed to work well, it settled
into about 300F for most of the rest of the day.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:

> It's ok to have the windward vent closed on windy days. It helps dispell
> the urban myth that an WSM has to have all vents evenly open to cook.

Before I hooked-up a DigiQ II, I naturally closed the vents on the
windward side of my WSM without a second thought.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > I hadn't had such a windy day before, and temps were a bit unstable
> > at first. I usually have all three bottom vents about at about 1/4
> > open or so. I ended up just closing the one on the windward side
> > completely and slightly increasing the other two. That seemed to
> > work well, it settled into about 300F for most of the rest of the
> > day.

> It's ok to have the windward vent closed on windy days. It helps
> dispell the urban myth that an WSM has to have all vents evenly open
> to cook.

Yeah, it didn't seem to affect things much at all. It did make me come
with new opening parameters, but I'll know for next time.

The main thing is that I have tasty pulled pork. Maybe tacos tonight!

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22 Oct 2007 20:07:12 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>It was very warm and breezy yesterday, somewhere well into the 80s. I
>had the WSM fired up to do a butt (part of my campaign to use up
>everything in the freezer ASAP.
>
>I hadn't had such a windy day before, and temps were a bit unstable at
>first. I usually have all three bottom vents about at about 1/4 open or
>so. I ended up just closing the one on the windward side completely and
>slightly increasing the other two. That seemed to work well, it settled
>into about 300F for most of the rest of the day.
>

>Brian

Brian

Visit the BBQ Guru site and some of the stuff they sell. One is a
cover specific to the WSM which they claim will preclude wind and such
like from messing with you The cover is good to 400f According to
their Claim [about $100 - slightly less for Canadians ;o)

I drive Kamados, but if I had a WSM, I'd be getting that cover.

Harry

The usual disclaimers [no financial interests etc]
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2007 20:07:12 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>

> > It was very warm and breezy yesterday, somewhere well into the 80s.
> > I had the WSM fired up to do a butt (part of my campaign to use up
> > everything in the freezer ASAP.

> Visit the BBQ Guru site and some of the stuff they sell. One is a
> cover specific to the WSM which they claim will preclude wind and such
> like from messing with you

I'll check it out, thanks.

Brian

won't shut up.