Old 24-10-2007, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default First Time Port Butt

On 23-Oct-2007, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

JohnO wrote:
Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most
probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude
or barometric pressure is.

Well stirred ice water is EXACTLY 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C.
Assuming there is no salt in the water, which can drop the water temp
to about 16 or 18.

But most probe thermometers -- which is what I was talking about -- will
show a variation of up to 3F.
--
Dave

My instant read analog probe is 3 high. Both of my digital (cable) probes
are 2 high and my one digit probe them is 1.8 high. At the 190 point
it doesn't mean a thing.

Picture on ABF of all four simultaneously.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Old 24-10-2007, 06:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:52:12 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:10:05 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:39:23 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

I prefer to test via ice water, which is the way most health
districts prefer. You don't need a bunch of probes once you have
identified where your hotspots are; they are going to remain
hotspots each time you 'Q unless you get your pit tuned and
baffled to eliminate them

Could you elaborate on how to do that, Dave? I'd 'preciate it!

You've got to get someone who can weld, Denny. I just know what
guys like Dave Klose do, but I don't know how to do it.

Sorry--I was unclear. I meant how to test using ice water.

-denny-

Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F.
Most probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the
altitude or barometric pressure is.

I was misreading you, above--I thought you were saying to use ice
water to find hotspots in one's pit. Couldn't quite work out how to
do THAT.

You can find it under the 22nd unlisted law of thermodynamics. :-O

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 24-10-2007, 06:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" wrote in message
Dave Bugg wrote:
:-) And a 3F variation like that has never made me anxious one little
bit. I suppose some folks could get all OCD over it, but it really
don't matter.

I think a bunch of folks get all OCD'd over the whole cooking process -
worrying over temp spikes, rubs, marinades, you name it. I think we need
to do a better job of getting these folks to relax and have some fun when
they BBQ.

-frohe

Maybe the FAQ could be condensed to this:

Smoker
Meat
Fire
Beer
Eat
Burp

-John O

Old 24-10-2007, 09:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
:-) And a 3F variation like that has never made me anxious one little
bit. I suppose some folks could get all OCD over it, but it really
don't matter.

I think a bunch of folks get all OCD'd over the whole cooking process
- worrying over temp spikes, rubs, marinades, you name it. I think
we need to do a better job of getting these folks to relax and have
some fun when they BBQ.

Amen to that, Bro.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

turkey and butt at the same time Eddie Barbecue 9 24-12-2009 11:22 PM
time it takes to do a butt Shawn Martin[_12_] Barbecue 0 13-05-2009 02:26 PM
time for pork butt? Paul Barbecue 9 13-06-2005 12:40 AM
Smoking pork butt 1st time Dave Bugg Barbecue 13 16-05-2004 10:08 PM