Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cooking chicken on a gas grill

I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Guv Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
> I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
>
> So tell me this hyur....
>
> How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
> bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
> water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
>
> Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Guv Bob wrote:
>> I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
>>
>> So tell me this hyur....
>>
>> How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
>> bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
>> water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
>>
>> Spill yore guts, boys!

> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
> halfway through the cooking process.

I either cook it as described above or use the rotisserie on my gas grill.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Guv Bob wrote:
> > I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
> >
> > So tell me this hyur....
> >
> > How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
> > bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
> > water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
> >
> > Spill yore guts, boys!

> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
> halfway through the cooking process.

I usually leave the bird whole, and smoke-roast with indirect heat on
the Weber kettle at fairly high temps. For gas, I guess turn off one
side or whatever.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Guv Bob wrote:
>> > I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
>> >
>> > So tell me this hyur....
>> >
>> > How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
>> > bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
>> > water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
>> >
>> > Spill yore guts, boys!

>> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
>> halfway through the cooking process.

> I usually leave the bird whole, and smoke-roast with indirect heat on
> the Weber kettle at fairly high temps. For gas, I guess turn off one
> side or whatever.
>

> Brian

On the three burner Weber you can cook indirectly. Chicken is so tasteless,
however, that it needs charcoal and wood in addition to whatever else you
season it with. I've never spatch-cocked. I'm sure it is a great way. The
term spatchcock sounds pretty obscene. I'm going to try it.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:58:22 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Default User" > wrote in message
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>>> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
>>> halfway through the cooking process.

>> I usually leave the bird whole, and smoke-roast with indirect heat on
>> the Weber kettle at fairly high temps. For gas, I guess turn off one
>> side or whatever.
>>

>> Brian
>>

>On the three burner Weber you can cook indirectly. Chicken is so tasteless,
>however, that it needs charcoal and wood in addition to whatever else you
>season it with. I've never spatch-cocked. I'm sure it is a great way. The
>term spatchcock sounds pretty obscene. I'm going to try it.
>
>Kent

If that term is not up to stuff, use 'Butterflied'.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message ...
> Guv Bob wrote:
> > I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
> >
> > So tell me this hyur....
> >
> > How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
> > bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
> > water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
> >
> > Spill yore guts, boys!

> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
> halfway through the cooking process.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

OK, I'm as dumb as fence post when it comes to BBQ. What is spatch-cooked?

Guv Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Guv Bob wrote:
>>> I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....
>>>
>>> So tell me this hyur....
>>>
>>> How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
>>> bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
>>> water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.
>>>
>>> Spill yore guts, boys!

>> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
>> halfway through the cooking process.

> OK, I'm as dumb as fence post when it comes to BBQ. What is
> spatch-cooked?

Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message ...
> Guv Bob wrote:

> >> Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
> >> halfway through the cooking process.

> > OK, I'm as dumb as fence post when it comes to BBQ. What is
> > spatch-cooked?

> Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Thanks, Dave.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>> Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
>> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

> Thanks, Dave.

Glad to help, Guv.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cameron Moore wrote:

> Thanks for that link Dave.

You're welcome.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Oct-2007, Cameron Moore > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:37:15 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
> > Guv Bob wrote:
> >> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

<snippity doo dah>

> > Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
> > http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

> Thanks for that link Dave. I've done spatch-cocked before, or so I
> thought. I've never removed the backbone with the 2nd cut. I will try
> that next time.
>
> seymour

Hey seymour! Save them backbones you cut out and add them to
wingtips you might have saved. Don't forget the ribcages after you
cut the breasts loose either. When you get enough, add some
mirapoir and cook up a bunch of chicken stock. You can't buy
stock as good as you can make.

'course I have more time then brains so maybe it doesn't apply.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 25, 2:14 am, wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:51:56 GMT, "
>

> > wrote:

> ><snippity doo dah>

> >> Thanks for that link Dave. I've done spatch-cocked before, or so I
> >> thought. I've never removed the backbone with the 2nd cut. I will try
> >> that next time.

> >> seymour

> >Hey seymour! Save them backbones you cut out and add them to
> >wingtips you might have saved. Don't forget the ribcages after you
> >cut the breasts loose either. When you get enough, add some
> >mirapoir and cook up a bunch of chicken stock. You can't buy
> >stock as good as you can make.

> >'course I have more time then brains so maybe it doesn't apply.

> Normally, I don't much muck with the spelling of others (my own is bad
> enough), but if one wants results from google on the subject, one
> would do better with "mirepoix", and it is 2:1:1 of onions, carrots &
> celery, respectively. Not sure it's by weight, or by volume of
> similar sized pieces, but i use the latter, and have had good results.
>
> ('Trinity', a 2:1:1 of onion, bell pepper, & celery, also works well.)
>
> As far as stock goes, i heartily concur with your advice - I always
> save the bones & cartilage when I serve chicken, and when I have
> enough. Sure, other people have gnawed & handled them, but they're
> going to be simmered for several hours, and then cooked again when I
> cook with it - unless there's been some other contaminaion, I don't
> see a problem.
>
> Just remember to simmer, and don't boil them. Boiling can leach out
> some less appetzing flavors. Don't forget to cover the pot so it
> doesn't go dry and wreck your pot while you ain't looking.
>
> The easy way to know you're done, is to spoon a little into a small
> container, and chill it - if it gets jelly-like after it cools down,
> you've got stock.
>
> once you are satisfied with your product, strain it, and I reccomend
> that you refrigerate your stock overnight. This allows the chicken
> fat to rise to the top & solidify into what some call 'schmaltz'.
> This can also be used for cooking, or can be discarded.
>
> If you have no immediate plans for your stock, it's handy to pour it
> into plastic containers & freeze, then pop 'em out & store in zip-top
> bags. I like to freeze measured cups & pints, so I can just grab a
> block & go, but YMMV.
>
> Hope that helps _someone_... <G>
>
> Oh, and Dave? Thanks for the link, it looks useful. Nice to know
> they think well of the lump I've been using.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Rusty the bookman
>
> Minion of Phil #0001
> You don't understand the power of the insufficiently lit side.
>
> Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you when you sleep
> Is cheaper than them uniforms, and they're starvation cheap
> - Kipling- Hide quoted text -

Best chicken stocks I've ever made are made using chicken feet. (The
more ethnic markets have them, as well as some grocery stores. Use
your right on method from above. Take the feet, roast in the oven in
a single layer at 325° with some carrots and celery; for 35 mins or
so, until beginning to turn golden. Add it all to your stock pot
filled with cold water, careful not to boil.

Makes rich gelatinous stock.
(Hopefully not too off topic.)
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Oct-2007, Pierre > wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2:14 am, wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:51:56 GMT, "
> >

> > > wrote:

> > ><snippity doo dah>

> Best chicken stocks I've ever made are made using chicken feet. (The
> more ethnic markets have them, as well as some grocery stores. Use
> your right on method from above. Take the feet, roast in the oven in
> a single layer at 325° with some carrots and celery; for 35 mins or
> so, until beginning to turn golden. Add it all to your stock pot
> filled with cold water, careful not to boil.
>
> Makes rich gelatinous stock.
> (Hopefully not too off topic.)
> Pierre

Not off topic at all as far as I'm concerned. It's the little tips and
suggestions that add up over time. Your point about roasting had
been overlooked by myself and others. Thanks for mentioning it.
Much better flavor is developed by the roasting process. I suppose
I should apologize for misspelling "mirepoix", but frankly I don't
give a shit. Interestingly, Google produces 7 hits for articles that
used "mirapoir" as the spelling for a mixture of onions, carrots and
celery.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.appalachian,edu.language.goofy.sounding

Good lord.... what kinduh langwige is this hyur!?? I don't no butt it ain't the way true BBQ fellers (eater and cookers) tawk!! And I thawt my anglish wuz bad!

Guv Bob

> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 03:39:18 GMT, "
> > wrote:
>

> >On 25-Oct-2007, ULL wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:18:55 GMT, "
> >>
> >> <trim>

> >> I see no reason for you to apologize, nor was I trying to upbraid you
> >> in any sense, just trying to aid Cameron Moore.
> >>
> >> As for Google, I noted the 7 hits, when I was was searching for the
> >> correct spelling (couldn't recall it & needed a refresher, myself) -
> >> but "mirepoix" returns 650k+ hits, which strikes me as somewhat more
> >> helpful.
> >>
> >> If I have erred in my attempt to help and managed to offend you, you
> >> have my most humble apologies.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> --
> >> Rusty the bookman

> >I'm not offended. I'm personally interested in ideas before and above
> >technical content. Sometimes I will research a comment or phrase
> >for my own edification, but seldom respond in that context. I assume
> >that anyone that needs amplification will ask for it and they generally
> >do. I was unsure of my spelling when I posted my original comment,
> >but was simply too lazy at the time to look it up.

> A sentiment I heartily concur with.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Rusty the bookman
>
> Minion of Phil #0001
> You don't understand the power of the insufficiently lit side.
>
> Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you when you sleep
> Is cheaper than them uniforms, and they're starvation cheap
> - Kipling

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.appalachian

ULL wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:04:22 GMT, "Guv Bob"
> > wrote:
>
> Behold the pride of alt.appalachian, trying to stir up a new fight.
> LOL! I bet you people are real proud of troll bob.
>
>> Good lord.... what kinduh langwige is this hyur!?? I don't no butt it =
>> ain't the way true BBQ fellers (eater and cookers) tawk!! And I thawt =
>> my anglish wuz bad!
>>
>> Guv Bob

I'm not a psychotherapist, though I did date one for a little while back in
about 1996 (she was one of the looniest people I have ever known,) but I'm
gonna attempt a little analysis on the Guv. He has brought his own brand of
tedious obnoxiousness to alt.app for many years. Guv seems to be a smart guy,
and shows good command of English when he chooses to post in that language. He
is also probably a scholar of Spanish, since he is such an ardent admirer of
Mexican and Meso-American culture. You will not find him trolling in
alt.mole.poblano.

But he has a compulsion to post drivel. As far as I know, he usually confines
it alt.app, but occasionally he gets bored and does a little trolling in other
groups, like poetry, astronomy and barbecue. Just ignore him, barbecue guys,
and he will go away to torment some poets. Poets need to be tormented anyway.
It helps get their creative juices flowing.

I will say that Guv often pokes fun at people who take themselves a wee bit too
seriously; some of the barbecue folks may find that shoe a very good fit.

He also likes to top-post, which ****es off some of the old usenet silverbacks,
another group of people who have a bent for self-seriousness. Guv doesn't
bother me because I don't take anything very seriously, least of all what I
write on usenet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.appalachian

"Snake" > wrote in message ...
> ULL wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:04:22 GMT, "Guv Bob"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > Behold the pride of alt.appalachian, trying to stir up a new fight.
> > LOL! I bet you people are real proud of troll bob.
> >
> >> Good lord.... what kinduh langwige is this hyur!?? I don't no butt it =
> >> ain't the way true BBQ fellers (eater and cookers) tawk!! And I thawt =
> >> my anglish wuz bad!
> >>
> >> Guv Bob
> >>

> I'm not a psychotherapist, though I did date one for a little while back in
> about 1996 (she was one of the looniest people I have ever known,) but I'm
> gonna attempt a little analysis on the Guv. He has brought his own brand of
> tedious obnoxiousness to alt.app for many years. Guv seems to be a smart guy,
> and shows good command of English when he chooses to post in that language. He
> is also probably a scholar of Spanish, since he is such an ardent admirer of > Mexican and Meso-American culture. You will not find him trolling in
> alt.mole.poblano.
>
> But he has a compulsion to post drivel. As far as I know, he usually confines > it alt.app, but occasionally he gets bored and does a little trolling in other
> groups, like poetry, astronomy and barbecue. Just ignore him, barbecue guys,
> and he will go away to torment some poets. Poets need to be tormented anyway.
> It helps get their creative juices flowing.
>
> I will say that Guv often pokes fun at people who take themselves a wee bit too
> seriously; some of the barbecue folks may find that shoe a very good fit.
>
> He also likes to top-post, which ****es off some of the old usenet silverbacks,
> another group of people who have a bent for self-seriousness. Guv doesn't
> bother me because I don't take anything very seriously, least of all what I
> write on usenet.

Oh good golly, Snake. Now yew are em bear assing me!

I guess it's time for yet another installment of.....

~~~~~ What Usenet Means to Me. ~~~~~~

What, dear friends, does usenet mean to me? Good question. I ain't got time to answer it though -- I got possums to BBQ!

But (and this is a big butt) I wood like to say to the folks here at alt.barbeque.mensa that I have enjoyed visiting with yew awl and hope yew will visit us over at alt.appalachian sometime (after you get a scents of humer installed).

Seriously, thanks for the good info about BBQ and about cooking chicken. I will apply it next time I am grilling up some bald eagle and report back.

God bless America.

Guv Bob