Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How long does this mop sauce keep?

I last smoked some ribs back two months ago. I saved the leftover mop
sauce (which consisted of only cider vinegar, yellow mustard and salt)
in the refrigerator.

Is this still good? There's easily enough left over to mop another
couple of slabs. It's a shame to toss it (not that it cost much) but I
don't want to get sick either.

Mark
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Mark Katz wrote:

> I last smoked some ribs back two months ago. I saved the leftover mop
> sauce (which consisted of only cider vinegar, yellow mustard and salt)
> in the refrigerator.
>
> Is this still good? There's easily enough left over to mop another
> couple of slabs. It's a shame to toss it (not that it cost much) but I
> don't want to get sick either.

With all that vinegar it's purely a question of quality.
It's not a health risk.

If there's no visible crud like molds, etc, and if it
tastes ok, you're good to go.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
> With all that vinegar it's purely a question of quality.
> It's not a health risk.
>
> If there's no visible crud like molds, etc, and if it
> tastes ok, you're good to go.

Only possibility would be cross contamination from the meat dipping in the
mop. Otherwise, about 50 years.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

OK, should have mentioned that I did dip the mop (actually a basting
brush) in the sauce and then brushed it on the meat, but not until meat
had been cooking for about 40 minutes. No mold or other visible crud
in the jar.

In article > , Edwin
Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> > With all that vinegar it's purely a question of quality.
> > It's not a health risk.
> >
> > If there's no visible crud like molds, etc, and if it
> > tastes ok, you're good to go.

> Only possibility would be cross contamination from the meat dipping in the
> mop. Otherwise, about 50 years.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Mark Katz wrote:

> OK, should have mentioned that I did dip the mop (actually a basting
> brush) in the sauce and then brushed it on the meat, but not until meat
> had been cooking for about 40 minutes. No mold or other visible crud
> in the jar.

Even with that in mind, the pH is so low that any bacteria from
whatever source is going to be dead very quickly. Full strength
vinegar kills bacteria almost on contact. Only certain molds and
yeasts can survive it.

It's more the yuck factor than anything else. I'd just make
some more. Next time, transfer what you're going to use to
a smaller container. It's proper food handlng practice.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Oct-2007, Mark Katz > wrote:

> I last smoked some ribs back two months ago. I saved the leftover mop
> sauce (which consisted of only cider vinegar, yellow mustard and salt)
> in the refrigerator.
>
> Is this still good? There's easily enough left over to mop another
> couple of slabs. It's a shame to toss it (not that it cost much) but I
> don't want to get sick either.
>
> Mark

Please reread your post. Cider vinegar needs no refrigeration. Yellow
mustart needs no refrigeration. Salt needs no refrigeration.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 15, 11:38 am, Mark Katz > wrote:
> Well, you can all stop your bickering. I tossed the old stuff and made
> some new. This time I made a half recipe of the mop sauce and didn't
> have enough left over to save.

But Mark, bickering is what we do.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Mark Katz wrote:

> Well, you can all stop your bickering.

Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.

Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
shitfile you go.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Mark Katz wrote:
>
> > Well, you can all stop your bickering.

> Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
>
> Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
> shitfile you go.

Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
the plonk trigger). People *were* bickering. I think it was more of a
joke.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Default User wrote:

> Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
> anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
> the plonk trigger). People *were* bickering. I think it was more of a
> joke.

Huh? In this group you're either plonking, or talking
about plonking. Suddenly you've appointed yourself referee?

Not a substantive, on topic word from you in years.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
put a smiley, I suppose

In article >, Reg
> wrote:

> Mark Katz wrote:
>
> > Well, you can all stop your bickering.

> Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
>
> Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
> shitfile you go.

Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
put a smiley, I suppose

Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be happy ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>
> > Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
> > anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
> > the plonk trigger). People were bickering. I think it was more of a
> > joke.

> Huh? In this group you're either plonking, or talking
> about plonking.

Hey, that makes me the voice of experience, n'est-ce pas?

> Suddenly you've appointed yourself referee?

I gave my opinion, it's up to you what you do with it. Apparently "get
all bent out of shape" was the order of the day.

> Not a substantive, on topic word from you in years.

Not true. While my contribution rate is somewhat low, so is the general
on-topic level of posting. I think if you'll check, you'll find topical
posts from me, although the Google searching of newsgroups has been
erratic of late.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark Katz wrote:

> Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
> did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
> put a smiley, I suppose

Apparently some people need them

> In article >, Reg
> > wrote:
>
> > Mark Katz wrote:
> >
> > > Well, you can all stop your bickering.

> > Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
> >
> > Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
> > shitfile you go.

> Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
> did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
> put a smiley, I suppose
>
> Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be happy ;-)

;(

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

>>Suddenly you've appointed yourself referee?

> I gave my opinion, it's up to you what you do with it. Apparently "get
> all bent out of shape" was the order of the day.

Sure.

I count 39 of your posts to this group with the word
"plonk" in it. Like I said, you're either plonking
or talking about plonking. Getting, uh, bent out
of shape would be a good description. Whining like
a bitch would be even better.

My first mention of the word "plonk" was today. And yet
you couldn't help but whine like bitch about that, too.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>

> > > Suddenly you've appointed yourself referee?

> > I gave my opinion, it's up to you what you do with it. Apparently
> > "get all bent out of shape" was the order of the day.

> Sure.
>
> I count 39 of your posts to this group with the word
> "plonk" in it. Like I said, you're either plonking
> or talking about plonking.

Over what period of time? Not like this past month or anything.

> Getting, uh, bent out
> of shape would be a good description. Whining like
> a bitch would be even better.

That's an unpleasant thing to say about yourself.

> My first mention of the word "plonk" was today. And yet
> you couldn't help but whine like bitch about that, too.

Again, I was just offering some advice. Let's put it this way, if the
guy with the hair-trigger thinks you're jumping the gun, *maybe* you
should revisit the original decision. Or not, it's up to you.

I've had people tell me that so-and-so is making a joke (and that's
what the OP says in this case) that I missed, and recanted plonks in
the past. Not often, but it happens.

Anyway, I've put forth my opinion on the matter, and really don't have
anything further to say. If you feel the need to post a reply I'll read
it with great interest but won't reply.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 15, 2:27 pm, Mark Katz > wrote:

> Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be >happy ;-)

OK, now that's funny. Probably true, too. Hope you stick around,
Mark.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark Katz > wrote:
[ . . . ]
> In article >, Reg
> > Mark Katz wrote:

[ . . . ]
> Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be happy ;-)

Well, Mark. I guess double-posting is better than cross-posting! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2:27 pm, Mark Katz > wrote:
>
> > Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be >happy ;-)

> OK, now that's funny. Probably true, too. Hope you stick around,
> Mark.

I hope this thread doesn't last longer than Mark's mop sauce!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:27:22 -0400, Mark Katz >
wrote:

>Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
>did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
>put a smiley, I suppose
>
>In article >, Reg
> wrote:
>
>> Mark Katz wrote:
>>
>> > Well, you can all stop your bickering.

>> Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
>>
>> Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
>> shitfile you go.

>Well, i did appreciate the answers I got, which is why I did what I
>did. And yes, the remark about the bickering was a joke - should hae
>put a smiley, I suppose
>
>Top-posted and bottom posted, now no one will be happy ;-)

Top posting frowned upon here. Bottom or intertwining posting is OK.

Harry

Who has found out that sarcasm, irony, and that sort of stuff
translates badly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Oct-2007, "Default User" > wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
> > Mark Katz wrote:
> >
> > > Well, you can all stop your bickering.

> > Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
> >
> > Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
> > shitfile you go.

> Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
> anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
> the plonk trigger). People *were* bickering. I think it was more of a
> joke.
>

> Brian

That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote:
> On 15-Oct-2007, "Default User" > wrote:
> > Reg wrote:

> > > Eh? You must be getting your threads mixed up.
> > >
> > > Nice way to thank everyone for answering your question. In the
> > > shitfile you go.

> > Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
> > anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
> > the plonk trigger). People *were* brickering. I think it was more of a
> > joke.
> >

> That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> " > wrote:

> > > Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
> > > anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
> > > the plonk trigger). People *were* brickering. I think it was more of a
> > > joke.
> > >

> > That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!
>
> --

Truer words were never spoken.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> " > wrote:

>>> Other than being top-posted (admittedly a problem) I didn't see
>>> anything particularly offensive about that (and we know I'm quick on
>>> the plonk trigger). People *were* brickering. I think it was more
>>> of a joke.
>>>

>> That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone, the
asshole position has remained unfilled.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

>> Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

> No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone, the
> asshole position has remained unfilled.

I heard the replacement req has been tied-up in admin and is
not yet approved.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana Myers wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:

>>> Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

>> No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone,
>> the asshole position has remained unfilled.

> I heard the replacement req has been tied-up in admin and is
> not yet approved.

Damned red-tape, dontchaknow.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > > That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

> No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone,
> the asshole position has remained unfilled.

I vote for King Log!

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Not true. While my contribution rate is somewhat low, so is the general
> on-topic level of posting. I think if you'll check, you'll find topical
> posts from me, although the Google searching of newsgroups has been
> erratic of late.
>

> Brian
>
> --

Under the name "Default User"? What a maroon..............................

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

> No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone, the
> asshole position has remained unfilled.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

OK then Nick is the official curmudgeon's asshole.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > > That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!
> >

> Truer words were never spoken.

Why, thank you Mr. Sloan. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about
me!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> That's what I thought too. I didn't give it a second thought.

> > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

> No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone, the
> asshole position has remained unfilled.

Thanks, Dave. I ass-ume you noticed how I played with bicker and Bricker?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer wrote:
> > > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!

> > No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone, the
> > asshole position has remained unfilled.
> >

> OK then Nick is the official curmudgeon's asshole.

Nice to see you posting again, Jack. ;-/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> > > Hee hee! I AM an asshole!!!
> > >

> > Truer words were never spoken.

> Why, thank you Mr. Sloan. That's the nicest thing you've ever said about
> me!
>
> --

You know, I believe it is. I must be slipping.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> > >
> > > No, you are a curmudgeon. KSW was an asshole. Since he's been gone,

the
> > > asshole position has remained unfilled.
> > >

> > OK then Nick is the official curmudgeon's asshole.

> Nice to see you posting again, Jack. ;-/
>
> --

Thanks Nick. I guess I kinda dropped out for a while.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Spud wrote:

> > Not true. While my contribution rate is somewhat low, so is the
> > general on-topic level of posting. I think if you'll check, you'll
> > find topical posts from me, although the Google searching of
> > newsgroups has been erratic of late.

> Under the name "Default User"? What a
> maroon..............................

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you mean to say here. Could you
clarify?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Spud wrote:
>

>>> Not true. While my contribution rate is somewhat low, so is the
>>> general on-topic level of posting. I think if you'll check, you'll
>>> find topical posts from me, although the Google searching of
>>> newsgroups has been erratic of late.
>>>

>> Under the name "Default User"? What a
>> maroon..............................
>>

> I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you mean to say here. Could you
> clarify?

Bugs Bunny used to call people he thought were mentally disadvantaged
"maroons".

You qualify for this title in the eyes of the previous poster because
you haven't figured out how to configure your email package or news
reader to give you a better name than "default user." That is the name
supplied by many Linux distributions and news reader packages. The
documentation on both suggest you use a more meaningful name when
communicating with others.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Henry the Eighth
Prince of friskers
Lost five wives
But kept
His whiskers
Burma-Shave
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Bugs Bunny used to call people he thought were mentally disadvantaged
> "maroons".
> You qualify for this title in the eyes of the previous poster because you
> haven't figured out how to configure your email package or news reader to
> give you a better name than "default user." Mike

Just what Mike said!

Spud

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > > Under the name "Default User"? What a
> > > maroon..............................
> >>

> > I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you mean to say here. Could
> > you clarify?
> >

> Bugs Bunny used to call people he thought were mentally disadvantaged
> "maroons".

No, I understood that part.

> You qualify for this title in the eyes of the previous
> poster because you haven't figured out how to configure your email
> package or news reader to give you a better name than "default user."
> That is the name supplied by many Linux distributions and news reader
> packages. The documentation on both suggest you use a more
> meaningful name when communicating with others.

Ah. It was actually the default name on the old Netscape newsreader for
Windoze as well. There's a story about why I didn't change that right
away when I started using it instead of my trn/Solaris set-up that I
won't go into. Eventually, I'd been using it so long that it *was* my
identity, so when I switched to XanaNews (where it's not the default
identity) I deliberately chose that again. I'm not sure why it would
cause any confusion.

Brian

won't shut up.