Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-10-2007, 07:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

I bought a Charbroil grill from Lowes a few months ago. It has 3 main burners, a
side burner, a ceramic rotisserie burner and a ceramic infrared searing burner.
The thre main burners work great as does the side burner.

However, for the life of me I can't get the two ceramic burners to work. Using
the spark lighter or a grill lighter, I can occasionally see a small wave of
blue flame moving across the burner plate, but it doesn't take. Yes - know those
types of burners aren't supposed to have a visible flame. There's no burning
going on at all - no heat.

I've checked the jets and there's definitely gas coming out of the valve.
There's no adjustible air valve as far as I can see. Any ideas as to what I can
try?

Are you saying that blue flame goes out? The way these things work is the
blue flame heats the ceramic and the ceramic radiates the infrared. It
takes a few minutes to start feeling the heat from the infra red, but the
flame should be thee all the time.


Yep - the blue flame rolls across the ceramic plate but immedately goes out.

You may also want to ask this on alt.food.barbecue


Good Idea!

Just ignore the replies
that will tell you to scrap the gas and get charcoal.




--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-10-2007, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 383
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

Rick Blaine wrote:

Yep - the blue flame rolls across the ceramic plate but immedately goes out.

You may also want to ask this on alt.food.barbecue


Good Idea!

Just ignore the replies
that will tell you to scrap the gas and get charcoal.


Have you checked for spider webs in the air intake area, around the jet?

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

Nonnymus wrote:


Have you checked for spider webs in the air intake area, around the jet?


Yep... Ran my finger across the jet and felt the gas coming out.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 383
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

Rick Blaine wrote:
Nonnymus wrote:

Have you checked for spider webs in the air intake area, around the jet?


Yep... Ran my finger across the jet and felt the gas coming out.


No, it would be the big tube that the jet is shooting the gas into.
Spiders somehow love the smell of the gas or odorant, and tend to build
webs there. Use a test tube brush or bottle brush and clean out the big
tube.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

Nonnymus wrote:


No, it would be the big tube that the jet is shooting the gas into.
Spiders somehow love the smell of the gas or odorant, and tend to build
webs there. Use a test tube brush or bottle brush and clean out the big
tube.


Thanks, but the infrared burners don't have those kind of tubes. The jet sprays
into a large pan like structure and the gas percolates up through the ceramic
plate. In any case, as unboxed the grill and the burners never worked, I think
the problem lies elsewhere.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

Rick Blaine wrote:
Nonnymus wrote:

Have you checked for spider webs in the air intake area, around the jet?


Yep... Ran my finger across the jet and felt the gas coming out.


Also, he said the flame was blue. If the air intake was blocked, the flame
would be yellow, eh.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War. They
are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 05:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 78
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question


On 13-Oct-2007, Rick Blaine wrote:

Nonnymus wrote:


No, it would be the big tube that the jet is shooting the gas into.
Spiders somehow love the smell of the gas or odorant, and tend to build
webs there. Use a test tube brush or bottle brush and clean out the big
tube.


Thanks, but the infrared burners don't have those kind of tubes. The jet
sprays
into a large pan like structure and the gas percolates up through the
ceramic
plate. In any case, as unboxed the grill and the burners never worked, I
think
the problem lies elsewhere.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."


Fire requires just three ingredients; fuel, air and an ignition source. As
you
have already stated you have start-up fuel, air and and ignition source. You
just don't have sustaining fuel.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 02:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

On Oct 14, 12:48?am, "
wrote:
On 13-Oct-2007, Rick Blaine wrote:





Nonnymus wrote:


No, it would be the big tube that the jet is shooting the gas into.
Spiders somehow love the smell of the gas or odorant, and tend to build
webs there. Use a test tube brush or bottle brush and clean out the big
tube.


Thanks, but the infrared burners don't have those kind of tubes. The jet
sprays
into a large pan like structure and the gas percolates up through the
ceramic
plate. In any case, as unboxed the grill and the burners never worked, I
think
the problem lies elsewhere.


--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."


Fire requires just three ingredients; fuel, air and an ignition source. As
you
have already stated you have start-up fuel, air and and ignition source. You
just don't have sustaining fuel.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I blow compressed air thru my grill burners occasionaly, to clean
them.

just last week right burner refused to stay lit.

compressor blew out a good bit of white dusty substance no doubt a
spiderweb.

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-10-2007, 03:15 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question

" wrote:

You just don't have sustaining fuel.


Makes sense. Now I just need to figure out _why_. And what to adjust.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Grill Infrared Burner Question Rick Blaine Barbecue 0 28-10-2007 10:34 PM
Gas grill side burner question [email protected] Barbecue 2 01-06-2006 03:32 AM
Infrared burner on gas grill? Don Wiss Cooking Equipment 2 22-05-2006 01:56 AM
Infrared burner on gas grill? Don Wiss Barbecue 2 22-05-2006 01:56 AM
propane vs coal grill question tgodiver Barbecue 5 05-10-2003 07:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017