Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoked beef tongue

any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 11, 9:16 am, ima@azzhol wrote:
> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

Repost of Graeme's Response from some time back:

"My finest hour with the smoker happened earlier this year with an ox
tongue. The tongue I smoked was just under 2 kilos in weight. As you
indicated you have to get rid of the membrane. I assume you bought a
fresh tongue (they are also sold salted in the UK).

I boiled the tongue for 2 hours with a couple of onions. (Keep the
stock. Excellent base for soup) Let it cool and chill. The membrane
peels off easily. You can also trim the "root" if desired. Its a
little fatty. The tongue is almost, but not quite cooked at this
point.

I smoked it at 235 degrees for 3 hours 45 minutes. I halved the tongue
length ways prior to smoking as I thought it was too thick to smoke in
one piece.

I smoked it using oak chippings over lump. The bark was truly
wonderful and the inner meat remained really moist. It also freezes
well. Slice as thinly as possible. It should go a long way."

Jason

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:

> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

Scroll way down.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:48:39 GMT,
> wrote:
>
>> On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:
>>
>>> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
>>> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

>> Scroll way down.

> Yikes. That one says to take a fully cooked beef tongue, and
> boil it for another 40 minutes. Let cool, then pulverize.

I didn't see the one that says to pulverize; I saw one that says
"boil a fully cooked tonque, then pulverize the stuff for horseradish
sauce, service with sliced tongue". I did not, however, see any mention
of smoking. I'm sure what it means is "boil a smoked tongue..."
but they forgot to mention that. There's another recipe for
smoked tongue that says "start with a smoked tongue" right after it.

:-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Oct-2007, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:48:39 GMT,
> wrote:
>
> > On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:
> >
> >> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> >> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

> > Scroll way down.

> Yikes. That one says to take a fully cooked beef tongue, and
> boil it for another 40 minutes. Let cool, then pulverize.
> Nowhere does it mention smoking even though it's a recipe for
> "smoked tongue".
>
> The one time I did tongue it was veal tongues. I par boiled them
> until I could peel the skin, then brined in TQ and smoked for 1.5
> hours over low hickory smoke. It turned out really well.
>
> -sw

Hey! You asked if there were any recipes out there. You didn't say
they had to be good ones. I have to admit that one is pretty far out.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Smoked Beef Tongue [email protected] Barbecue 9 13-10-2012 12:17 AM
Recipes for Smoked Beef Tongue? ima@azzhol Barbecue 0 08-10-2007 03:13 PM
beef tongue Moe Jones Barbecue 2 23-08-2007 03:49 AM
Smoked beef tongue Graeme...in London Barbecue 0 18-03-2005 06:20 PM
Smoked Tongue Reg Barbecue 3 05-01-2004 12:42 PM