FoodBanter.com

-   -   smoked beef tongue (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/137054-smoked-beef-tongue.html)

ima@azzhol 11-10-2007 05:16 PM

smoked beef tongue

any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

Jason Tinling 11-10-2007 05:26 PM

smoked beef tongue

On Oct 11, 9:16 am, ima@azzhol wrote:
> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

Repost of Graeme's Response from some time back:

"My finest hour with the smoker happened earlier this year with an ox
tongue. The tongue I smoked was just under 2 kilos in weight. As you
indicated you have to get rid of the membrane. I assume you bought a
fresh tongue (they are also sold salted in the UK).

I boiled the tongue for 2 hours with a couple of onions. (Keep the
stock. Excellent base for soup) Let it cool and chill. The membrane
peels off easily. You can also trim the "root" if desired. Its a
little fatty. The tongue is almost, but not quite cooked at this
point.

I smoked it at 235 degrees for 3 hours 45 minutes. I halved the tongue
length ways prior to smoking as I thought it was too thick to smoke in
one piece.

I smoked it using oak chippings over lump. The bark was truly
wonderful and the inner meat remained really moist. It also freezes
well. Slice as thinly as possible. It should go a long way."

Jason

[email protected][_2_] 11-10-2007 06:48 PM

smoked beef tongue

On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:

> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

Scroll way down.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Dana Myers 12-10-2007 12:12 AM

smoked beef tongue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:48:39 GMT,
> wrote:
>
>> On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:
>>
>>> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
>>> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

>> Scroll way down.

> Yikes. That one says to take a fully cooked beef tongue, and
> boil it for another 40 minutes. Let cool, then pulverize.

I didn't see the one that says to pulverize; I saw one that says
"boil a fully cooked tonque, then pulverize the stuff for horseradish
sauce, service with sliced tongue". I did not, however, see any mention
of smoking. I'm sure what it means is "boil a smoked tongue..."
but they forgot to mention that. There's another recipe for
smoked tongue that says "start with a smoked tongue" right after it.

:-)

[email protected][_2_] 12-10-2007 01:47 AM

smoked beef tongue

On 11-Oct-2007, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:48:39 GMT,
> wrote:
>
> > On 11-Oct-2007, ima@azzhol wrote:
> >
> >> any recipes out there, I know I saw some before but failed to save
> >> them. Siggestions appreciated. Thanks

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin...h.cgi?q=tongue

> > Scroll way down.

> Yikes. That one says to take a fully cooked beef tongue, and
> boil it for another 40 minutes. Let cool, then pulverize.
> Nowhere does it mention smoking even though it's a recipe for
> "smoked tongue".
>
> The one time I did tongue it was veal tongues. I par boiled them
> until I could peel the skin, then brined in TQ and smoked for 1.5
> hours over low hickory smoke. It turned out really well.
>
> -sw

Hey! You asked if there were any recipes out there. You didn't say
they had to be good ones. I have to admit that one is pretty far out.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

[email protected][_2_] 12-10-2007 04:08 AM

smoked beef tongue

On 11-Oct-2007, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:47:47 GMT,
> wrote:
>
> > Hey! You asked if there were any recipes out there. You didn't say
> > they had to be good ones.

> Well, there should be smoke in a smoked beef tongue
> recipe, Brick ;-)
>
> -sw

I sent out some more searches since that last post. So far
I can't find anything about smoking tongue. Apparently it is
a myth. Nobody smokes tongue. I'll keep looking. Two places
I know of they seriously cure meat, Wisconsin and Texas.
That's where there's some major German communities and
that's what they do. My antecedents all knew how to do it,
but they're all dead and it didn't get handed down.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Bill[_3_] 12-10-2007 09:19 AM

smoked beef tongue

In article <3zBPi.4847$d2.3302@trnddc08>,
says...

> On 11-Oct-2007, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:47:47 GMT,

> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hey! You asked if there were any recipes out there. You didn't say
> > > they had to be good ones.

> > Well, there should be smoke in a smoked beef tongue
> > recipe, Brick ;-)
> >
> > -sw

> I sent out some more searches since that last post. So far
> I can't find anything about smoking tongue. Apparently it is
> a myth. Nobody smokes tongue. I'll keep looking. Two places
> I know of they seriously cure meat, Wisconsin and Texas.
> That's where there's some major German communities and
> that's what they do. My antecedents all knew how to do it,
> but they're all dead and it didn't get handed down.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...2/beef-smoked-
tongue.html

Bill

Craig Winchell 18-01-2008 12:23 AM

smoked beef tongue

> On 11-Oct-2007, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:47:47 GMT,
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey! You asked if there were any recipes out there. You didn't say
>> > they had to be good ones.

>> Well, there should be smoke in a smoked beef tongue
>> recipe, Brick ;-)
>>
>> -sw

> I sent out some more searches since that last post. So far
> I can't find anything about smoking tongue. Apparently it is
> a myth. Nobody smokes tongue. I'll keep looking. Two places
> I know of they seriously cure meat, Wisconsin and Texas.
> That's where there's some major German communities and
> that's what they do. My antecedents all knew how to do it,
> but they're all dead and it didn't get handed down.

I smoked some great tongue. I had a lot of trouble getting the skin off,
and ended up just cutting it off- couldn't justify letting it boil for hours
just to get the skin off. but it smoked up just fine, using my standard
rub, which is a modification of Dr. BBQ's standard rub recipe with extra
cayenne and white pepper, among other mods. Anyway, it's really good. I'm
afraid, though, of boiling the hell out of tongue just to remove the skin.

Craig Winchell