Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pulled Pork - The Day After

I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
other condiments?
Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
TIA

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Kent wrote:

> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
> other condiments?
> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
> TIA

I love this stuff on pulled pork.

Pulled Pork Serving Sauce
Makes about 5 cups

4 cups apple juice
1/4 C cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 C brown sugar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan. Bring it to
a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
> other condiments?
> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
> TIA
>
> Kent

Cheap hot dog buns for your bread, the meat is the main attraction.
For sauce I'd use a variation of a Carolina vinegar sauce (40k hits on
google)

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 8, 2:48 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
> other condiments?
> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
> TIA
>
> Kent

What I usually do is to warm the meat up first in the microwave with a
bit of water to keep it moist. Get it warm enough so it's comfy to
handle, and not cold from the fridge. Pull the meat, and when that is
done to your liking, add a good shot of fresh rub to it. I add a
little warm water to it so the rub dissolves a bit. Don't forget any
pan drippings!!!! Huge flavor in that. After that, you can add a
sauce..... or not. As far as rolls go, I really like submarine rolls
or pieces of a french baguette, split and grilled with a little
butter. The grilling helps the bread from getting real soggy if you
have too much sauce in there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.

kent, add crisp cabbage that's been soaked in vinegar w/ a little bit of
sugar to your pulled pork burger. it's over the top. sauce is your
preference, but quiery chef juke's chipotle raspberry bbq sauce. it will be
an epiphany.

joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
> other condiments?
> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
> TIA
>
> Kent

Stick it in with your turkey while it's brining in your garage for (at
least) 3 days to keep it nice and moist (don't worry about the cooked
food/raw food contamination, you'll rid yourself of the shits and E-coli in
a few days)

This will also impart some smoke to the turkey while it's brining.

Glad to be of help....

.....your erstwhile buddy.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left
>> ready to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a
>> bit, and enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do
>> you add to the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add
>> veggies, or other condiments?
>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
>> TIA

> I love this stuff on pulled pork.
>

> Pulled Pork Serving Sauce
> Makes about 5 cups
>
> 4 cups apple juice
> 1/4 C cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/4 C brown sugar
> 2 tablespoon dry mustard
> 3 bay leaf
> 6 cloves of garlic
> 2 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1 teaspoon cayenne
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
>
> Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan. Bring it to
> a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.
>
> --
> Reg

Just what I was looking for!
Thanks so much,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message
>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.

> kent, add crisp cabbage that's been soaked in vinegar w/ a little bit of
> sugar to your pulled pork burger. it's over the top. sauce is your
> preference, but quiery chef juke's chipotle raspberry bbq sauce. it will
> be an epiphany.
>
> joe

We're great fans of Banh mi Thit, the Vietnamese pork sandwich, which is a
bit like what you're doing.
Making Banh mi was one of the reasons for making a large batch of pulled
pork. We also get great Banh mi buns at our local Vietnamese bakery; they're
crispier and lighter than the usual hoagy or torpedo bun. Take a look at:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20571,00.html
Cheers,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
> other condiments?
> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
> TIA

For us, it's served on a hot dog bun with sweet cole slaw and spicy
vinegar. The sweet slaw is made with Marzetti's slaw dressing and the
spicy vinegar is 1/4 cup Texas Pete (Crystal, Frank's or Red Hot are
equally good) mixed with 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar. It's
traditionally served out of a catsup bottle with holes poked in the lid.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:13:19 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:

>Kent wrote:
>> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left ready
>> to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a bit, and
>> enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do you add to
>> the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add veggies, or
>> other condiments?
>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
>> TIA

>For us, it's served on a hot dog bun with sweet cole slaw and spicy
>vinegar.

I pull the pork when it comes off the Kamado. Whatever is not eaten
at that point is vacuubagged into two-people servings & frozen.

I put those back into service by popping them into hot, not boiling,
water until it is nicely warmed through out. I remove them from the
baggie and serve as requested - poofie bun - potato salad - whatever
is requested.. You allready have received good sauce advice.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left
>> ready to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a
>> bit, and enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do
>> you add to the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add
>> veggies, or other condiments?
>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
>> TIA

> For us, it's served on a hot dog bun with sweet cole slaw and spicy
> vinegar. The sweet slaw is made with Marzetti's slaw dressing and the
> spicy vinegar is 1/4 cup Texas Pete (Crystal, Frank's or Red Hot are
> equally good) mixed with 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar. It's traditionally
> served out of a catsup bottle with holes poked in the lid.
>

> --
> ---Nonnymus---

Nonny, what do you put on the bun? Is it the cole slaw, or is that served on
the side?
What goes onto a BBQ'd pork Banh Mi is cole slaw like[daicon, cucumber,
jalapeno, etc.]
The general idea, however, is crunchy veg with pepper and meat in the bun.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left
>>> ready to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a
>>> bit, and enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do
>>> you add to the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add
>>> veggies, or other condiments?
>>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
>>> TIA

>> For us, it's served on a hot dog bun with sweet cole slaw and spicy
>> vinegar. The sweet slaw is made with Marzetti's slaw dressing and the
>> spicy vinegar is 1/4 cup Texas Pete (Crystal, Frank's or Red Hot are
>> equally good) mixed with 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar. It's traditionally
>> served out of a catsup bottle with holes poked in the lid.
>>

>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---
>>

> Nonny, what do you put on the bun? Is it the cole slaw, or is that served on
> the side?

In my own home, as in the Carolinas, it's pulled pork on the bottom with
the creamy slaw on top. The layers are then sprinkled with the vinegar
sauce and the top closed. FWIW, it's also quite practical to sprinkle
the vinegar sauce onto the inside of the top before closing it. That
way you get the flavor without the excess running through the slaw/meat
and saturating the bottom of the bun.

> What goes onto a BBQ'd pork Banh Mi is cole slaw like[daicon, cucumber,
> jalapeno, etc.]
> The general idea, however, is crunchy veg with pepper and meat in the bun.

Sounds right.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus > wrote in
:

> Kent wrote:
>>> For us, it's served on a hot dog bun with sweet cole slaw and spicy
>>> vinegar. The sweet slaw is made with Marzetti's slaw dressing and
>>> the spicy vinegar is 1/4 cup Texas Pete (Crystal, Frank's or Red Hot
>>> are equally good) mixed with 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar. It's
>>> traditionally served out of a catsup bottle with holes poked in the
>>> lid.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ---Nonnymus---
>>>

>> Nonny, what do you put on the bun? Is it the cole slaw, or is that
>> served on the side?

> In my own home, as in the Carolinas, it's pulled pork on the bottom
> with the creamy slaw on top. The layers are then sprinkled with the
> vinegar sauce and the top closed. FWIW, it's also quite practical to
> sprinkle the vinegar sauce onto the inside of the top before closing
> it. That way you get the flavor without the excess running through
> the slaw/meat and saturating the bottom of the bun.
>
>> What goes onto a BBQ'd pork Banh Mi is cole slaw like[daicon,
>> cucumber, jalapeno, etc.]
>> The general idea, however, is crunchy veg with pepper and meat in the
>> bun.

> Sounds right.
>
> Nonny
>>
>> Kent

invaribly in a big gathering someone always winds up with two tops to
a bun I'm guessing he gonna be one of the soggy bottom boys
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I just smoked two boneless shoulders and have about 6lb of meat left
>> ready to be "pulled". What do you add to the pulled pork to zip it up a
>> bit, and enhance the pork on a bun tomorrow, and the day after? What do
>> you add to the meat on the bun? What kind of bun do you use? Do you add
>> veggies, or other condiments?
>> Any sauce, bun, or additives you have would be most appreciated.
>> TIA

> I love this stuff on pulled pork.
>

> Pulled Pork Serving Sauce
> Makes about 5 cups
>
> 4 cups apple juice
> 1/4 C cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/4 C brown sugar
> 2 tablespoon dry mustard
> 3 bay leaf
> 6 cloves of garlic
> 2 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1 teaspoon cayenne
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
>
> Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan. Bring it to
> a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.
>
> --
> Reg

I'm making this today. How much should I let it reduce? What will be the
consistency when finished.

Thanks, Dave