Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pig in a pit

Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
oxygen?)
The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
tying it up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hovdv wrote:
> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
> oxygen?)
> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
> tying it up.

Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.

It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are replying.
In that way, we can better understand your response and questions.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hovdv wrote:
>> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
>> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
>> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
>> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
>> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
>> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
>> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
>> oxygen?)
>> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
>> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
>> tying it up.

> Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me, too.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hovdv wrote:
>> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
>> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
>> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
>> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
>> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
>> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
>> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
>> oxygen?)
>> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
>> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
>> tying it up.

> Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.
>
> It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are replying.
> In that way, we can better understand your response and questions.

Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly self-proclaimed.
He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From stints in 3-star
Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is the real thing.

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/chefs/chef.asp?id=169

MargW
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MargW wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Hovdv wrote:
>>> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self
>>> proclaimed 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout
>>> jamboree. When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The
>>> skin was not crispy although the meat looked nicely done and
>>> tender. I don't like the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His
>>> method was to dig a pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on
>>> the coals(the lil' one was wrapped in foil and burlap), add more
>>> coals and dirt(to cut off oxygen?)
>>> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
>>> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
>>> tying it up.

>> Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.
>>
>> It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are
>> replying. In that way, we can better understand your response and
>> questions.

> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly
> self-proclaimed. He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From
> stints in 3-star Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is
> the real thing.

That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about 'Q.
Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's the name of
the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:17:49 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>MargW wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.
>>>
>>> It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are
>>> replying. In that way, we can better understand your response and
>>> questions.

>> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly
>> self-proclaimed. He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From
>> stints in 3-star Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is
>> the real thing.

>That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about 'Q.
>Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's the name of
>the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.

I met Michael Smith a couple of years ago. He's a knowledgeable, but
don't talk Q with him.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> MargW wrote:
> > Dave Bugg wrote:

> That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about 'Q.
> Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's the name
> of the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.

I'm a Pirelli Cinturato guy. Does that disqualify me?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> MargW wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>> Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.
>>>
>>> It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are
>>> replying. In that way, we can better understand your response and
>>> questions.

>> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly
>> self-proclaimed. He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From
>> stints in 3-star Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is
>> the real thing.

> That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about 'Q.
> Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's the name of
> the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.

Well, I did't say he knew anything about 'Q, just that he isn't a
'self-proclaimed' chef, but a highly talented and respected one.

I've got Michelins on my bike - does that count?

MargW
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 4, 7:07 pm, MargW > wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Hovdv wrote:
> >> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
> >> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
> >> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
> >> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
> >> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
> >> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
> >> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
> >> oxygen?)
> >> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
> >> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
> >> tying it up.

> > Sounds more like Kalua pork to me, ie steamed.

> > It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are replying.
> > In that way, we can better understand your response and questions.

> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly self-proclaimed.
> He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From stints in 3-star
> Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is the real thing.

Putting the word 'chef' in front of his name smacks of someone full of
himself. I happen to be a well respected machinist. I've been sent
to Singapore to trouble shoot jobs etc. Yet you don't see me call
myself 'Machinist' Johnson. Besides the word 'chef' just means
someone in charge. My uncle in Germany who was a chemical engineer
referred to his boss as 'chef'. Someone in the cooking field who is
in charge of the Garde Manger section is referred to as Chef Garde
Manger. Sous chef is an underling to the executive chef. So what is
Michael Smith in charge of? He also has a habit of referring to cooks
as chefs. They are cooks unless they are in charge of a section. In
Germany I'd be referred to as a chef because I am in charge of a few
people at work even though I'm a machinist.

> http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/chefs/chef.asp?id=169
>
> MargW- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Oct-2007, MargW > wrote:

> ULL wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:55:50 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:07:49 -0400, MargW >
> >> wrote:
> >> (comments about Michael Smith)

> > Well, hey - at least he's not _Valentine_ Michael Smith!
> >
> >> <waves to the lady on the BMW>
> >> Hiya, Marg!!!!

> > Hiya, Marg!
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > Rusty the bookman
> >
> > Minion of Phil #0001
> > You don't understand the power of the insufficiently lit side.
> >
> > Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you when you sleep
> > Is cheaper than them uniforms, and they're starvation cheap
> > - Kipling

> Hi Denny and Rusty
>
> Thanks for pointing me here. I'll mainly be a lurker, but love the idea
> of doing my own real bbq
>

> MargW

Welcome to AFB Marg. There is just no substitute for 'REAL' smoke
roasted meat and vegetables. Late last night I made myself a snack
of thin sliced brisket on light wheat bread with mayo on one side and
Dijon on the other. I used some garden salad mix on it because that's
all I had and skipped everything else because I was too lazy to put it
together. It was a single slice of bread and I really wanted at least
twice that but, alas my waistline dictated otherwise . It was so
reminiscent of good corned beef that I wanted to cry. I used hickory
this time instead of my usual oak. I believe I'm a convert or maybe
a convict.

Beware! It's addictive.

--
Brick(Eyeing a young Muscovie duck in the front yard)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Oct-2007, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:17:49 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
> >MargW wrote:

> >> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly
> >> self-proclaimed. He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From
> >> stints in 3-star Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is
> >> the real thing.

> >That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about 'Q.
> >Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's the name
> >of
> >the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.

> I met Michael Smith a couple of years ago. He's a knowledgeable, but
> don't talk Q with him.
>
> Harry

I must have missed the original post. Who is Michael Smith? Did Michael
Smith say he was making barbecue? Why does this group care what
Michael Smith might have said? Do we need yet another ****ing contest
about what barbecue is?

Has anybody in the group cooked anything lately? What did you cook?
Was it barbecue? What was different about it? Was it any good?

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
was too lazy to put it
> together. It was a single slice of bread and I really wanted at least
> twice that but, alas my waistline dictated otherwise . It was so
> reminiscent of good corned beef that I wanted to cry. I

Brick or others, what's the secret, if any, to good corned beef? Mrs.
Nonny once corned a brisket and we ate it with home made rye bread, home
made sauerkraut and home made thousand island dressing. The only bought
thing was County Line baby Swiss cheese. Since then, I've been trying
to chase down corned beef even half as good. We're not able to do that
kind of home brew anymore, and I've tried 3-4 different grocery store
types of corned beef with no success. The stuff around here has little
more flavor than the plastic wrapping it.

I'm tempted to get some pickling spice to cook with a store bought
corned beef, and have even considered smoking it instead of boiling it
with cabbage. I'd really appreciate some pointers from anyone who's
produced some good corned beef in the past.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Oct-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> was too lazy to put it
> > together. It was a single slice of bread and I really wanted at least
> > twice that but, alas my waistline dictated otherwise . It was so
> > reminiscent of good corned beef that I wanted to cry. I

> Brick or others, what's the secret, if any, to good corned beef? Mrs.
> Nonny once corned a brisket and we ate it with home made rye bread, home
> made sauerkraut and home made thousand island dressing. The only bought
> thing was County Line baby Swiss cheese. Since then, I've been trying
> to chase down corned beef even half as good. We're not able to do that
> kind of home brew anymore, and I've tried 3-4 different grocery store
> types of corned beef with no success. The stuff around here has little
> more flavor than the plastic wrapping it.
>
> I'm tempted to get some pickling spice to cook with a store bought
> corned beef, and have even considered smoking it instead of boiling it
> with cabbage. I'd really appreciate some pointers from anyone who's
> produced some good corned beef in the past.
>
> Nonny

I'm reluctant to comment on your question Nonny because you appear
to have covered all the bases that I know about.

I have never made my own corned beef. I always buy what is available,
but I shy away from brands I never heard of. I usually get Hormel or
Smithfield. They always have a packet of pickling spice inside the
cryovac. I rinse a corned beef briefly, but never soak it. I've never
experienced a salty tasting one. I always braise them by themselves
using the pickling spice that came with them until done . Then I
add the cabbage and continue braising until the cabbage is done.
That's about it. They're almost always pretty good and sometimes
really good. I'm going to make my own though as soon as I can get
my hands on some instacure.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MargW wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> MargW wrote:

>>> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly
>>> self-proclaimed. He's a highly trained and well respected chef.
>>> From stints in 3-star Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards,
>>> he is the real thing.

>> That makes it more -- not less -- likely that he knows crapola about
>> 'Q. Pitmasters could care less about Michelin-anything; unless it's
>> the name of the tire on the good ol' pickup truck.

> Well, I did't say he knew anything about 'Q, just that he isn't a
> 'self-proclaimed' chef, but a highly talented and respected one.
>
> I've got Michelins on my bike - does that count?

LOL!!!!

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> Brick wrote:
> was too lazy to put it
>> together. It was a single slice of bread and I really wanted at least
>> twice that but, alas my waistline dictated otherwise . It was so
>> reminiscent of good corned beef that I wanted to cry. I

> Brick or others, what's the secret, if any, to good corned beef? Mrs.
> Nonny once corned a brisket and we ate it with home made rye bread, home
> made sauerkraut and home made thousand island dressing. The only bought
> thing was County Line baby Swiss cheese. Since then, I've been trying
> to chase down corned beef even half as good. We're not able to do that
> kind of home brew anymore, and I've tried 3-4 different grocery store
> types of corned beef with no success. The stuff around here has little
> more flavor than the plastic wrapping it.
>
> I'm tempted to get some pickling spice to cook with a store bought
> corned beef, and have even considered smoking it instead of boiling it
> with cabbage. I'd really appreciate some pointers from anyone who's
> produced some good corned beef in the past.
>
> Nonny

Here is how I pickle a brisket:

Trim it out- well. 1/4 inch fat at most.

Use instacure, or tenderquick. Follow the directions on package for
brine. make enough to cover the brisket laying flat in a pan.

Use a cure. Do not try to substitute salt. You won't hit the flavor
you're looking for without a cure.

I add pickling spices, and simmer the brine to make a tea. You can use
store bought pickling spices, or make your own blend. add to taste:

I use :
2 bay leaves
cloves
coriander seed
celery seeds
couple of smashed bulbs of garlic
use your imagination.

let it cool down to refrigerator temps.

If you have accesses to a meat syringe, inject some of the brine every
3/4 inch or so.

If not; just skip to the part where we put the meat in the brine, and
let it cure. (I put a plate on mine to keep it under.)

3 days if you injected. (turn halfway through)

7 days if no injections. (Again, turn halfway through)

Cooked as desired. (I usually smoke mine until medium well, and slice
thin for pastrami.

See pic from last month in ABF.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Brick wrote:
>> Who is Michael Smith? Did Michael Smith say he was making barbecue?

> Dunno who he is or what he had to say. Seems I do recall someone writing
> that he's some sort of chef which matters not to me since most "chefs"
> can't cook BBQ anywhere near as good as the regulars here.
>
>> Do we need yet another ****ing contest about what barbecue is?

> lol... I think there are some who'll get into a shoe-watering contest over
> damn near anything. I see no need for me to get into what real BBQ is; I
> cook it all the time (big ass grin).
>
>> Has anybody in the group cooked anything lately? What did you cook?
>> Was it barbecue? What was different about it? Was it any good?

> I did up a bunch of chicken last weekend. Brined em in Mojo Creollo this
> time. Damn tasty eats. Doing up 2 briskets tomorrow. I'll be cooking em
> the same as I have in the past; no need to change the recipe when you've
> already reached perfection (another big ass grin).
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> -frohe

Frohe, not only are you a good man, but a modest one as well<g>
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn" > wrote in message
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> Brick wrote:
>> was too lazy to put it
>>> together. It was a single slice of bread and I really wanted at least
>>> twice that but, alas my waistline dictated otherwise . It was so
>>> reminiscent of good corned beef that I wanted to cry. I

>> Brick or others, what's the secret, if any, to good corned beef? Mrs.
>> Nonny once corned a brisket and we ate it with home made rye bread, home
>> made sauerkraut and home made thousand island dressing. The only bought
>> thing was County Line baby Swiss cheese. Since then, I've been trying to
>> chase down corned beef even half as good. We're not able to do that
>> kind of home brew anymore, and I've tried 3-4 different grocery store
>> types of corned beef with no success. The stuff around here has little
>> more flavor than the plastic wrapping it.
>>
>> I'm tempted to get some pickling spice to cook with a store bought corned
>> beef, and have even considered smoking it instead of boiling it with
>> cabbage. I'd really appreciate some pointers from anyone who's produced
>> some good corned beef in the past.
>>
>> Nonny

> Here is how I pickle a brisket:
>
> Trim it out- well. 1/4 inch fat at most.
>
> Use instacure, or tenderquick. Follow the directions on package for
> brine. make enough to cover the brisket laying flat in a pan.
>
> Use a cure. Do not try to substitute salt. You won't hit the flavor
> you're looking for without a cure.
>
> I add pickling spices, and simmer the brine to make a tea. You can use
> store bought pickling spices, or make your own blend. add to taste:
>
> I use :
> 2 bay leaves
> cloves
> coriander seed
> celery seeds
> couple of smashed bulbs of garlic
> use your imagination.
>
> let it cool down to refrigerator temps.
>
> If you have accesses to a meat syringe, inject some of the brine every 3/4
> inch or so.
>
> If not; just skip to the part where we put the meat in the brine, and let
> it cure. (I put a plate on mine to keep it under.)
>
> 3 days if you injected. (turn halfway through)
>
> 7 days if no injections. (Again, turn halfway through)
>
> Cooked as desired. (I usually smoke mine until medium well, and slice
> thin for pastrami.
>
> See pic from last month in ABF.

Shawn, do you do the black pepper and coriander thing when you smoke/cook
the brisket?
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:

big ol' snip here

>> let it cool down to refrigerator temps.
>>
>> If you have accesses to a meat syringe, inject some of the brine every 3/4
>> inch or so.
>>
>> If not; just skip to the part where we put the meat in the brine, and let
>> it cure. (I put a plate on mine to keep it under.)
>>
>> 3 days if you injected. (turn halfway through)
>>
>> 7 days if no injections. (Again, turn halfway through)
>>
>> Cooked as desired. (I usually smoke mine until medium well, and slice
>> thin for pastrami.
>>
>> See pic from last month in ABF.

> Shawn, do you do the black pepper and coriander thing when you smoke/cook
> the brisket?

I do do a small rub down before it goes into the smoker. coarse ground
black pepper, and whatever I have on hand. I have never needed salt,
and no, I do not rinse the brine off.

Using a cure ensured the proper flavor, as well as the looked-for red
color of the finished product.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 05:28:25 -0700, Hovdv >
wrote:

>On Oct 4, 7:07 pm, MargW > wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> >>
>> > It would help if you would add a bit of the text to which you are replying.
>> > In that way, we can better understand your response and questions.

>> Well, what ever you may think of his pork, he's hardly self-proclaimed.
>> He's a highly trained and well respected chef. From stints in 3-star
>> Michelin restaurants to James Beard awards, he is the real thing.
>>

>Putting the word 'chef' in front of his name smacks of someone full of
>himself. I happen to be a well respected machinist. I've been sent
>to Singapore to trouble shoot jobs etc. Yet you don't see me call
>myself 'Machinist' Johnson. Besides the word 'chef' just means
>someone in charge. My uncle in Germany who was a chemical engineer
>referred to his boss as 'chef'. Someone in the cooking field who is
>in charge of the Garde Manger section is referred to as Chef Garde
>Manger. Sous chef is an underling to the executive chef. So what is
>Michael Smith in charge of? He also has a habit of referring to cooks
>as chefs. They are cooks unless they are in charge of a section. In
>Germany I'd be referred to as a chef because I am in charge of a few
>people at work even though I'm a machinist.

Make no mistake Michael Smith is a highly respected Chef who has
worked internationally and is well known in the 'respected chef'
Community. I am a fan admirer of his. But 'he don't know from BBQ'as
we understand it.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Michael Smith is not a self proclaimed chef.

'' Smith graduated with honours from the prestigious Culinary Institute of
America in New York in 1991. He then worked in restaurants in London, South
America and the Caribbean before coming back to North America to cook in
different restaurants in Manhattan.''

"Hovdv" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
> oxygen?)
> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
> tying it up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 5, 4:11 am, Hovdv > wrote:
> Is that even considered barbecue? Yesterday I watched self proclaimed
> 'Chef' Michael Smith do a youngster in a pit at a scout jamboree.
> When it came out it didn't look very appetizing. The skin was not
> crispy although the meat looked nicely done and tender. I don't like
> the looks of that pale blase' skin though. His method was to dig a
> pit, shovel in coals, lay the lil' one on the coals(the lil' one was
> wrapped in foil and burlap), add more coals and dirt(to cut off
> oxygen?)
> The finished product just had an unappetizing look to it. Oh by the
> way he put a mess of onion, garlic and herbs into the carcass before
> tying it up.

This technique of cooking a pig sounds more like a Polynesian imu (pit
oven / steamer) than a BBQ.
--
www.p30.com