FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pig Tail Barbecue Tool (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/136271-pig-tail-barbecue-tool.html)

Nonnymus[_5_] 01-10-2007 10:15 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html

I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
bend. Any thoughts?

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

Tutall 01-10-2007 10:30 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

On Oct 1, 2:15 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> bend. Any thoughts?

I got one for Christmas a few years ago and it's still unopened. Can't
figure out why I wouldn't use tongs, so why use the thing at all?

Dave Bugg 01-10-2007 11:03 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

Nonnymus wrote:
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your
> opinion of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and
> release juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that
> it won't bend. Any thoughts?

I use both. Once you get the technique, it's faster than tongs for things
like rib slabs, steaks and such.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Shawn Martin 01-10-2007 11:20 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> bend. Any thoughts?
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don’t stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

It works great. Especially on a crowded grill.

Olde Hippee 02-10-2007 02:51 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

On Oct 1, 5:15 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> bend. Any thoughts?
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don't stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

Our daughter gave her dad a Pampered Chef spatula that is rigid and
about 9 or 10 inches wide. It is great for huge briskets and butt
roasts. Sure has made life easier for DH. I can't find it on their
website, but it is sure a good tool. Built like a brick outhouse!!
Nan

Olde Hippee 02-10-2007 03:28 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

On Oct 2, 9:51 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:15 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> > of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html

> > I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> > juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> > bend. Any thoughts?

> > Nonny
> > --
> > ---Nonnymus---
> > You don't stand any taller by
> > trying to make others appear shorter.

> Our daughter gave her dad a Pampered Chef spatula that is rigid and
> about 9 or 10 inches wide. It is great for huge briskets and butt
> roasts. Sure has made life easier for DH. I can't find it on their
> website, but it is sure a good tool. Built like a brick outhouse!!
> Nan

Found it online here is the url:
http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=ET

Nonnymus[_5_] 02-10-2007 06:47 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

Olde Hippee wrote:

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. I've decided that since I
cook in small quantities, the spatula and tongs that I've used for the
past hundred or so years will suffice. If I was cooking large
quantities of steaks or ribs, it might speed things up a tad, but for us
little guys, it's not worth the additional clutter on the shelf.

Nonny

Mike[_27_] 03-10-2007 01:23 AM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> bend. Any thoughts?
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don’t stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

I have one I bought at Walmart for a lot less then they are asking for
theirs. I use mine quite a bit, steaks, chops, ribs and also I have a
Brinkman grill with the side smoker box and it has 3 top grates. I use it to
move the grates on and off too.

Mike

anna 03-10-2007 10:58 AM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

On Oct 1, 11:03 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
> > Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your
> > opinion of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html

> > I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and
> > release juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that
> > it won't bend. Any thoughts?

> I use both. Once you get the technique, it's faster than tongs for things
> like rib slabs, steaks and such.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

i will need to try that thanks

Tutall 03-10-2007 03:06 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

On Oct 2, 5:23 pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> Brinkman grill with the side smoker box and it has 3 top grates. I use it to
> move the grates on and off too.

That sounds like a good use for me. My current tool (nail puller) is
getting old from exposure.

BOB[_9_] 04-10-2007 11:31 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
> of it? http://store.houseoffireonline.com/pigtail.html
>
> I have always used tongs, so as to not pierce the meat crust and release
> juice. This is supposedly a fine point and hard enough that it won't
> bend. Any thoughts?

Those things are great for turning wings. You can turn 100 wings in about a
minute and a half with a pig tailer.

BOB

Mark Filice 09-10-2007 11:29 PM

Pig Tail Barbecue Tool

In article >, Nonnymus says...

>Has anyone tried the Pig Tail food flipper? If so, what is your opinion
>of it?

I received mine as a Christmas gift last year. I like it--it works really well
on half a chicken or ribs. Turning over steaks when I'm grilling is easy, too.

Except I have a tendency to snag either myself or my clothes with that very very
sharp point from time to time. 8-0

For briskets and large pork shoulders I use neoprene gloves.

Mark