FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cooking Outdoors (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/135994-cooking-outdoors.html)

John Morgan 28-09-2007 10:44 AM

Cooking Outdoors

I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

John
www.morgans-net.com

just joe 28-09-2007 03:14 PM

Cooking Outdoors

so we tow a caravan.
> These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

quiery 'silver turd'

no wait

quiery 'airstream'
the classic american. they are all are numbered so that you can look up
who's zat. and they have big get togethers where they talk about mpg and
grandchildren.

joe
petersburg (who got up this am and put his cranky pants on) alaska

'you kids! get the hell off my lawn!!'

Dave Bugg 28-09-2007 08:34 PM

Cooking Outdoors

John Morgan wrote:
> I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
> I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
> These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

They form the backbone of the recreational vehicle industry here. More
trailers are towed than motor homes driven.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Edwin Pawlowski 29-09-2007 12:22 AM

Cooking Outdoors

"John Morgan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
> I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
> These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.
>
> John
> www.morgans-net.com

In American, we don't cook outdoors. It is a bad practice because dirt can
get on the food and smoke from the burning wood will destroy it. Not to
mention the bugs. OOOOHHHH, icky.

Dave Smith[_2_] 29-09-2007 01:54 AM

Cooking Outdoors

John Morgan wrote:

> I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
> I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
> These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

They are called trailers here and they are quite popular, probably more so
than RVs ( motor homes)

Nick Cramer 29-09-2007 05:39 AM

Cooking Outdoors

Dave Smith > wrote:
> John Morgan wrote:
> >
> > I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
> > I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
> > These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> > the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> > wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

> They are called trailers here and they are quite popular, probably more
> so than RVs ( motor homes)

I think Brick lives in one! ;-/

~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 29-09-2007 05:42 AM

Cooking Outdoors

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "John Morgan" > wrote in message
>
> >I do a lot of my grilling when we go away for the weekend. My wife and
> > I are a bit to old for the rigours of camping so we tow a caravan.
> > These are popular in Europe but I've never heard of them being used in
> > the US. I know motorhomes are popular with you guys but I was
> > wondering you use caravans or maybe call them something else.

> In American, we don't cook outdoors. It is a bad practice because dirt
> can get on the food and smoke from the burning wood will destroy it. Not
> to mention the bugs. OOOOHHHH, icky.

Heh heh! My grandmother had a gas stove in the kitchen for cooking and a
kerosene stove outdoors for canning and melting down the beeswax.

~Semper Fi~

John B 30-09-2007 11:54 AM

Cooking Outdoors

You forgot "Pickup Campers" that fit into the back of a truck, or a
"Fifth Wheeler" style of camper.

John Morgan 30-09-2007 08:05 PM

Cooking Outdoors

On 30 Sep, 11:54, (John B) wrote:
> You forgot "Pickup Campers" that fit into the back of a truck, or a
> "Fifth Wheeler" style of camper.

These sound a bit like what we'd call "Trailer tents".

Thanks for the responses, guys. Like I was saying, getting away for a
few days gives me a chance to relax and take some time over cooking;
usually I make some burgers and maybe some chicken or ribs with a nice
marinade. I also find that a really hot fire is one of the best way s
of cooking a medium or rare steak.

John
www.morgans-net.com

Dave Bugg 30-09-2007 08:06 PM

Cooking Outdoors

John B wrote:

> You forgot "Pickup Campers" that fit into the back of a truck, or a
> "Fifth Wheeler" style of camper.

To whom, and to what message, are you responding to? Adding a bit of the
text to which you are replying (as I did above) would be of help by making
your post less confusing.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dave Bugg 30-09-2007 10:08 PM

Cooking Outdoors

John Morgan wrote:
> On 30 Sep, 11:54, (John B) wrote:
>> You forgot "Pickup Campers" that fit into the back of a truck, or a
>> "Fifth Wheeler" style of camper.

> These sound a bit like what we'd call "Trailer tents".

We have a very popular category of RV called tent trailers. This is a link
to just one manufacturer, and it shows a range of towed camping trailers
(including tent trailers) and motor homes.
http://www.jayco.com/php/buyers.guide/

Here's another link to the type of pickup truck campers to which John B was
referring :
http://www.palominorv.com/palomino/s...e=truckcampers

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Nick Cramer 30-09-2007 11:56 PM

Cooking Outdoors

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
> > You forgot "Pickup Campers" that fit into the back of a truck, or a
> > "Fifth Wheeler" style of camper.

> To whom, and to what message, are you responding to? Adding a bit of the
> text to which you are replying (as I did above) would be of help by
> making your post less confusing.

Attribution, as you also did, is also important. IMHO

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~