Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Making a real BBQ rig

OK, who's got the best homemade BBQ cooker and how dew yew make one?

Guv Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Oh, you mean the kind that sits on a flat-bed trailer and costs
somewhere between ten and fifteen thousand dollars?

Yeah, wish I had one of those too. For most of us the problem is not
finding a manufacturer but coming up with that kinda money

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
> OK, who's got the best homemade BBQ cooker and how dew yew make one?
>
> Guv Bob

Hey bob

here's a link on how to make your own trash can smoker:

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

To be honest with you though; for the same price you can just by an
entry-level smoker:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0-K&lpage=none

I wanted to make my own as well but when I realized it was cheaper to
just buy the electric smoker that had everything I wanted in it
anyways; that's what i did.

Either way, happy smoking!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

low-n-slow wrote:
> Oh, you mean the kind that sits on a flat-bed trailer and costs
> somewhere between ten and fifteen thousand dollars?
>
> low-n-slow

I'm not sure if it has to be the semi truck variety to count, but if
you're after results and not just the art of low and slow, the boys in
Pennsylvania can help you. http://www.pitminder.com/

My guess is that their equipment can be scaled up to commercial size
with no effort. I don't pretend to have the skill of the commercial
folk who post here, or even the more dedicated folk. However, as I've
gotten older, I just don't get as much of a kick tending the smoker as I
did years back. Nowadays, the fun for me is the results more than
saying I did it all. The Pit Minder variation on their web site simply
uses outside air to moderate the hood temperature during a smoke and to
further adjust the hood temperature lower as the meat reaches the
desired temperature.

For the charcoal/coal/wood or even gas folks, that's done using a fan
whose volume is controlled by a computer, for better want of a word.

When you cut to the chase, the barbecue we all love is a product of the
marinade, rub, mop and sauce, combined with the smoke and cooking
temperature profile. It's the last item that can go from being fun to a
pain in the rump with age and arthritis.<grin> The skilled barbecuer,
either commercial or recreational, adjusts the fire level to get the
hood temperature he thinks is appropriate for the meat. Rather than
manually adjust a damper or run a thermostat up and down, why not lay it
all out on paper and let a computer do it for you while you sit back and
have a drink?

When I used to do construction, I used a 22oz Estwing to drive 16d box
nails. Later, I got the same results with a Paslode pneumatic nailer. I
also used an electric planer to join wood instead of a 16" joining
plane, spray finish rather than brush, use a Lawn Boy for the yard
instead of a push mower and have a TIMER to sprinkle the lawn instead of
using a garden hose. Sure, I could go around in the evening and cut on
my porch and yard lights at switches, but I prefer to use X-10 controls
to do it for me. . . and also cut them off.

I don't feel that we lose a thing by increasingly automating cooking,
including our venerated barbecue. I love it as much as the next man,
but don't think I give up a thing when I let a silicone chip control
some of the factors I've done over the course of an evening, afternoon
or even nighttime, in the past. It's still ME setting the parameters-
the question is whether it's me manually making the adjustments or
something doing it for me while I nap or have a martini.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

> I wanted to make my own as well but when I realized it was cheaper
> just buy the electric smoker that had everything I wanted in it
> anyways; that's what i did.

An electric smoker? Egads, what will they think of next? I guess
those electrons give everything a nice electric flavor.

You call that barbeque or smoking?
Not me.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

My Dad.

When I was a kid (c. late 1950's early 1960's), my Dad made a smoker
out of an old refrigerator. At that time, refrigerators were made of
steel w/ porcelin coatings. He took the compressor and motor and
other stuff out of the bottom comparment, and rigged a firebox in it.
He drilled holes in the floor of the icebox, and rigged a vent on top,
complete with a butterfly valve to control heat. He used the metal
racks that came with the refrigerator.

Then, he'd go deep sea fishing, and catch albacore, yellowtail,
bonita,salmon, etc., make me clean them and bury the guts, brine it
all, and smoke them for a day or two.

Good eats.

-Zz

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:00:01 GMT, "Guv Bob"
> wrote:

>OK, who's got the best homemade BBQ cooker and how dew yew make one?
>
>Guv Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just the home backyard type.... big enough for 4 people is fine.

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message ...
> low-n-slow wrote:
> > Oh, you mean the kind that sits on a flat-bed trailer and costs
> > somewhere between ten and fifteen thousand dollars?
> >
> > low-n-slow

> I'm not sure if it has to be the semi truck variety to count, but if
> you're after results and not just the art of low and slow, the boys in
> Pennsylvania can help you. http://www.pitminder.com/
>
> My guess is that their equipment can be scaled up to commercial size
> with no effort. I don't pretend to have the skill of the commercial
> folk who post here, or even the more dedicated folk. However, as I've
> gotten older, I just don't get as much of a kick tending the smoker as I
> did years back. Nowadays, the fun for me is the results more than
> saying I did it all. The Pit Minder variation on their web site simply
> uses outside air to moderate the hood temperature during a smoke and to
> further adjust the hood temperature lower as the meat reaches the
> desired temperature.
>
> For the charcoal/coal/wood or even gas folks, that's done using a fan
> whose volume is controlled by a computer, for better want of a word.
>
> When you cut to the chase, the barbecue we all love is a product of the
> marinade, rub, mop and sauce, combined with the smoke and cooking
> temperature profile. It's the last item that can go from being fun to a
> pain in the rump with age and arthritis.<grin> The skilled barbecuer,
> either commercial or recreational, adjusts the fire level to get the
> hood temperature he thinks is appropriate for the meat. Rather than
> manually adjust a damper or run a thermostat up and down, why not lay it
> all out on paper and let a computer do it for you while you sit back and
> have a drink?
>
> When I used to do construction, I used a 22oz Estwing to drive 16d box
> nails. Later, I got the same results with a Paslode pneumatic nailer. I
> also used an electric planer to join wood instead of a 16" joining
> plane, spray finish rather than brush, use a Lawn Boy for the yard
> instead of a push mower and have a TIMER to sprinkle the lawn instead of
> using a garden hose. Sure, I could go around in the evening and cut on
> my porch and yard lights at switches, but I prefer to use X-10 controls
> to do it for me. . . and also cut them off.
>
> I don't feel that we lose a thing by increasingly automating cooking,
> including our venerated barbecue. I love it as much as the next man,
> but don't think I give up a thing when I let a silicone chip control
> some of the factors I've done over the course of an evening, afternoon
> or even nighttime, in the past. It's still ME setting the parameters-
> the question is whether it's me manually making the adjustments or
> something doing it for me while I nap or have a martini.
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don’t stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
> My Dad.
>
> When I was a kid (c. late 1950's early 1960's), my Dad made a smoker
> out of an old refrigerator. At that time, refrigerators were made of
> steel w/ porcelin coatings. He took the compressor and motor and
> other stuff out of the bottom comparment, and rigged a firebox in it.
> He drilled holes in the floor of the icebox, and rigged a vent on top,
> complete with a butterfly valve to control heat. He used the metal
> racks that came with the refrigerator.
>
> Then, he'd go deep sea fishing, and catch albacore, yellowtail,
> bonita,salmon, etc., make me clean them and bury the guts, brine it
> all, and smoke them for a day or two.

As a FWIW, Bradley's smoker consists of two main parts. One is the dorm
room refrigerator-sized smoker box, and the other is the smoke
generator, which holds and feeds the pucks onto a hotplate. The smoke
generator merely slides into a hole in the side of the box, hanging off
of two mounting screws. The biscuits are fed one at a time onto the hot
plate by a "pusher," that slides the old one onto the plate, forcing the
used one to drop into a small pan of water.

Bradley sells the smoke generator separately for someone like your Dad
who wants to use a refrigerator, old barbecue grill or anything else for
smoking food. It's the same generator and hot plate as sold with their
smoker, except that the hot plate has a small, removable, cover that
sits over the puck in case your own design might permit something to
drip onto the puck.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
> Just the home backyard type.... big enough for 4 people is fine.

Look at the new thread about the fellow whose dad used an old
refrigerator as a smoker. Perhaps if you coupled that with my reply to
him you could have some fun.

Nonny

>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---
>> You don’t stand any taller by
>> trying to make others appear shorter.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! This is making me HONGRY!! :OD

Some of the folks at work talk about what a "real" bbq is. One says that the meat is not cooked over fire or coals, that it's off to the side and has the smoke funnels across it. I never heard that anywhere else - thought BBQ was always done over coals or a wood fire (pronounced far).

Guv Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
> mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! This is making me HONGRY!! :OD
>
> Some of the folks at work talk about what a "real" bbq is. One says that the meat is not cooked over fire or coals, that it's off to the side and has the smoke funnels across it. I never heard that anywhere else - thought BBQ was always done over coals or a wood fire (pronounced far).
>
> Guv Bob

My neighbor brought over a big container of pulled pork loin that he'd
cooked up in his electric oven overnight. My mild criticism of him is
that he overcooks meat. Outside of that, the loin was delicious when
mixed with KC Masterpiece and eaten on a hot dog bun. I compared it
side to side with smoked pulled butt and the butt won hand's down.
However, his loin/KC Masterpiece makes a good breakfast sandwich that
I've enjoyed for the past three mornings, now.

The guy also likes to do a loin in a crock pot, and the result is
edible, also. We all have our favorite and less favorite foods. I sure
as heck never turn down the good food he brings over, but then he
doesn't turn down mine, either. <grin>

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Guv Bob" > wrote in message
mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! This is making me HONGRY!! :OD

Some of the folks at work talk about what a "real" bbq is. One says that
the meat is not cooked over fire or coals, that it's off to the side and has
the smoke funnels across it. I never heard that anywhere else - thought BBQ
was always done over coals or a wood fire (pronounced far).

Guv Bob

Texans call that BBQ.The rest of the country mostly don't.
That is what I call "smoke cooking". Barbecue is cooked over hardwood coals
at a distance of 18" - 24" or more.
BTW, my pits smoke cook
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "Guv Bob" > wrote in message
> mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! This is making me HONGRY!! :OD
>
> Some of the folks at work talk about what a "real" bbq is. One says that
> the meat is not cooked over fire or coals, that it's off to the side and
> has the smoke funnels across it. I never heard that anywhere else -
> thought BBQ was always done over coals or a wood fire (pronounced far).
>
> Guv Bob

Barbecue has evolved over hundreds of years. Some is cooked direct, others
indirect. Texas barbecue changed when the oil rigs came along. Large pieces
of pipe were left in the fields and someone decided to make an offset
cooker.

In direct cookers, the grate for grilling is inches over the coals, but to
make barbecue the grate is much higher, maybe 18" or more. Each has good
and bad points and you can get into ****ing contests quite easily if you
know for a fact that your method is the only true barbecue.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob wrote:
> > I wanted to make my own as well but when I realized it was cheaper
> > just buy the electric smoker that had everything I wanted in it
> > anyways; that's what i did.
> >

> An electric smoker? Egads, what will they think of next? I guess
> those electrons give everything a nice electric flavor.
>
> You call that barbeque or smoking?
> Not me.
> Bob-tx

Hi Bob

sorry im not a dimwitted redneck who can afford to spend 15 hours
babysitting a woodsmoker... clearly your self worth is quantified by
the amount of time you spend sitting in front of your "real" smoker; a
fairly pathetic assertation if you ask me.

but who am i to judge?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society wrote:

> Bob wrote:
> > > I wanted to make my own as well but when I realized it was cheaper
> > > just buy the electric smoker that had everything I wanted in it
> > > anyways; that's what i did.
> > >

> > An electric smoker? Egads, what will they think of next? I guess
> > those electrons give everything a nice electric flavor.
> >
> > You call that barbeque or smoking?

> sorry im not a dimwitted redneck who can afford to spend 15 hours
> babysitting a woodsmoker... clearly your self worth is quantified by
> the amount of time you spend sitting in front of your "real" smoker; a
> fairly pathetic assertation if you ask me.

This is what's known as a false dilemma. "Real" barbecue rigs don't
require constant attention, at least not charcoal-based ones. A WSM
using the Minion Method requires little attention beyond an occasional
check to replenish smoke wood in the early going, and the overall temps
at intervals.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default User wrote:
> the warlock society wrote:

> > > An electric smoker? Egads, what will they think of next? I guess
> > > those electrons give everything a nice electric flavor.
> > >
> > > You call that barbeque or smoking?

> > sorry im not a dimwitted redneck who can afford to spend 15 hours
> > babysitting a woodsmoker... clearly your self worth is quantified by
> > the amount of time you spend sitting in front of your "real" smoker; a
> > fairly pathetic assertation if you ask me.

> This is what's known as a false dilemma. "Real" barbecue rigs don't
> require constant attention, at least not charcoal-based ones. A WSM
> using the Minion Method requires little attention beyond an occasional
> check to replenish smoke wood in the early going, and the overall temps
> at intervals.
>

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

my point was that people (like bob from texas) who chastise others for
using an electric smoker are just trying to inflate their own self-
worth out of perverted egocentrism because they are pathetic losers...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > the warlock society wrote:

> > > sorry im not a dimwitted redneck who can afford to spend 15 hours
> > > babysitting a woodsmoker... clearly your self worth is quantified
> > > by the amount of time you spend sitting in front of your "real"
> > > smoker; a fairly pathetic assertation if you ask me.

> > This is what's known as a false dilemma. "Real" barbecue rigs don't
> > require constant attention, at least not charcoal-based ones. A WSM
> > using the Minion Method requires little attention beyond an
> > occasional check to replenish smoke wood in the early going, and
> > the overall temps at intervals.

Please learn to trim quotes, especially the signatures (the part after
--). This makes your posts more readable.

> my point was that people (like bob from texas) who chastise others for
> using an electric smoker are just trying to inflate their own self-
> worth out of perverted egocentrism because they are pathetic losers...

You can do that without a false dilemma. People do use electric
smokers. People use gas grills with hardwood chips. Support your choice
without unfairly characterizing the other options.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> the warlock society wrote:
>

> > Default User wrote:

> > > This is what's known as a false dilemma. "Real" barbecue rigs don't
> > > require constant attention, at least not charcoal-based ones. A WSM
> > > using the Minion Method requires little attention beyond an
> > > occasional check to replenish smoke wood in the early going, and
> > > the overall temps at intervals.

> Please learn to trim quotes, especially the signatures (the part after
> --). This makes your posts more readable.
>
> > my point was that people (like bob from texas) who chastise others for
> > using an electric smoker are just trying to inflate their own self-
> > worth out of perverted egocentrism because they are pathetic losers...

> You can do that without a false dilemma. People do use electric
> smokers. People use gas grills with hardwood chips. Support your choice
> without unfairly characterizing the other options.
>

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Well to be fair to me; i was simply sharing a beginner's knowledge
with another beginner who asked for the knowledge... when I was
reprimanded by some asshole named "bob from texas" for using an
electric smoker.

We're both beginner's and thats what beginners do... we use entry-
level equipment that's cheap and easy to use; an electric smoker is
easier to learn on than a wood or charcoal smoker.

Quiet frankly I dont appreciate it when a some self-rightous ****head
(ie: bob, brian) comes along and starts lecturing me and other
beginners for not being "purists"; as if we're unworthy for using an
electric smoker.. give me a ****ing break already.

There's no right-of-passage here... I dont need to put up with you or
bob or any other ****ing asshole's opinions in order to qualify myself
as a worthy source of information.

if you or bob dont like my electric smoker recommendation? fine...
recommend something else and just mind your own ****ing business...
cool?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > You can do that without a false dilemma. People do use electric
> > smokers. People use gas grills with hardwood chips. Support your
> > choice without unfairly characterizing the other options.

> Quiet frankly I dont appreciate it when a some self-rightous ****head
> (ie: bob, brian) comes along and starts lecturing me and other
> beginners for not being "purists"; as if we're unworthy for using an
> electric smoker.. give me a ****ing break already.

What in the goddamn hell? When did I do that? Please quote
specifically.

> There's no right-of-passage here... I dont need to put up with you or
> bob or any other ****ing asshole's opinions in order to qualify myself
> as a worthy source of information.

You're apparently unable to read for comprehension, or a deliberate
liar. The only thing I said was to support your position without
unfairly characterizing the other options.

ps: Learn to trim quotes. It's common courtesy.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society wrote:

> Well to be fair to me; i was simply sharing a beginner's knowledge
> with another beginner who asked for the knowledge...

Isn't that sorta an oxymoron?

> when I was
> reprimanded by some asshole named "bob from texas" for using an
> electric smoker.

Reprimanded or criticized? Either way, it isn't cool, but neither is your
beligerence.

> We're both beginner's and thats what beginners do... we use entry-
> level equipment that's cheap and easy to use; an electric smoker is
> easier to learn on than a wood or charcoal smoker.

Wrong on both counts. Many beginners will go with something like the WSM,
which is relatively cheap, but not the cheapest pit out there. And a
charcoal pit, like the WSM is fairly easy to learn. Additionally, a lot of
beginners WANT to learn fire control because they value that as part of the
equation of learning the art of bbq. They understand that doing bbq is far
more than just slapping meat into an oven and setting a timer. I've taught a
lot of beginners, and while they don't want to be overwhelmed with finicky
fire control stuff, they also don't want to cook in an electric oven.

> Quiet frankly I dont appreciate it when a some self-rightous ****head
> (ie: bob, brian) comes along and starts lecturing me and other
> beginners for not being "purists"; as if we're unworthy for using an
> electric smoker.. give me a ****ing break already.

But, you are in a NG which is specific about bbq (yes, Brick, it also
includes other outdoor cooking methods); so of course there are going to be
many here that are very experienced and who are serious about the art of
bbq. And yes, using fire IS the preferred way to go.

> There's no right-of-passage here... I dont need to put up with you or
> bob or any other ****ing asshole's opinions in order to qualify myself
> as a worthy source of information.

Now THAT is funny. You spend a couple of paragraphs in the apologetics of
being a beginner, and now want us to agree that your information level is
sufficient to be immune from criticism or chastisement when it is based on
insufficient knowledge.

> if you or bob dont like my electric smoker recommendation? fine...
> recommend something else and just mind your own ****ing business...
> cool?

This is an unmoderated ng in which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"the warlock society" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> if you or bob dont like my electric smoker recommendation? fine...
> recommend something else and just mind your own ****ing business...
> cool?

I'm a different 'bob"

I'd recommend a Klose Smoker to anyone that wants an excellent smoker. One
caution...if you've even ever considered an electric heating element even
remotely related to smoking or BBQ, then you'll probably have a heart attack
when you see the price of a Klose.

As far as "minding my own ****ing business" why don't you try it sometime.

READ the name of this newsgroup. Read it again. Notice anything? It says
BARBECUE, not oven cooked food.

Mr Warlock society, you'd probably like it much better over in
rec.food.cooking where their definition of BBQ involves crock pots, bbq
sauce and boiling ribs.

Have a nice life.

BO

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > > This is an unmoderated ng in which
highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
> and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
> disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
> disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

You know Dave you've probably driven more newbies off this NG than anybody
with your unrelenting "purist" bullshit and I find that quite ironic since
you yourself use a gas fired pit and and call your product "authentic bbq"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

the warlock society wrote:
> Default User wrote:
>> the warlock society wrote:

>> Please learn to trim quotes, especially the signatures (the part after
>> --). This makes your posts more readable.
>>
>>> my point was that people (like bob from texas) who chastise others for
>>> using an electric smoker are just trying to inflate their own self-
>>> worth out of perverted egocentrism because they are pathetic losers...

>> You can do that without a false dilemma. People do use electric
>> smokers. People use gas grills with hardwood chips. Support your choice
>> without unfairly characterizing the other options.
>>

>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
>> won't shut up.
>> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

> Well to be fair to me; i was simply sharing a beginner's knowledge
> with another beginner who asked for the knowledge... when I was
> reprimanded by some asshole named "bob from texas" for using an
> electric smoker.
>
> We're both beginner's and thats what beginners do... we use entry-
> level equipment that's cheap and easy to use; an electric smoker is
> easier to learn on than a wood or charcoal smoker.
>
> Quiet frankly I dont appreciate it when a some self-rightous ****head
> (ie: bob, brian) comes along and starts lecturing me and other
> beginners for not being "purists"; as if we're unworthy for using an
> electric smoker.. give me a ****ing break already.
>
> There's no right-of-passage here... I dont need to put up with you or
> bob or any other ****ing asshole's opinions in order to qualify myself
> as a worthy source of information.
>
> if you or bob dont like my electric smoker recommendation? fine...
> recommend something else and just mind your own ****ing business...
> cool?

Three interesting posts from a douche bag with the very creative handle
of "the warlock society". You might try to get help somewhere else.
Assholes are filtered quickly here.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> This is an unmoderated ng in which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
> and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
> disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
> disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

Well said, Dave.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

the warlock society wrote:

> Hi Bob
>
> sorry im not a dimwitted redneck who can afford to spend 15 hours
> babysitting a woodsmoker... clearly your self worth is quantified by
> the amount of time you spend sitting in front of your "real" smoker; a
> fairly pathetic assertation if you ask me.
>
> but who am i to judge?

How much time can you afford to spend playing Warcraft? How does that
time quantify *your* self worth? You have an interesting posting
history for someone who strolls in here looking for advice and attacking
group veterans.

Let Google be your judge, moron.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > > This is an unmoderated ng in which
> highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
>> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's
>> business and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be
>> strong disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information.
>> If that is disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

> You know Dave you've probably driven more newbies off this NG than
> anybody with your unrelenting "purist" bullshit and I find that quite
> ironic since you yourself use a gas fired pit and and call your
> product "authentic bbq"

Ah, the predictable anonymous leg-humper pops up yet again; too much of a
coward to post under its real name.

I don't preach 'purist' anything. I preach excellence. You have always been
consistent in defending the lowest-common mediocre denominator. My main pit
has a gas-fired log lighter to get logs started, and goes through about a
cord of fruitwood a week. I also use a Cookshack electric powered pit. My
log burner puts out a better product with pork shoulders, butts and brisket
than the Cookshack, so I limit the Cookshack to ribs and chicken when and if
my log-burner is full. So much for the insult.

Your other comment regarding newbies is meaningless sniping from a
know-nothing.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > >
> Ah, the predictable anonymous leg-humper pops up yet again; too much of a
> coward to post under its real name.

Posting anonymously on Usenet is merely a safety precaution for myself as
well as my loved ones. Putting personal info on usenet is not a sign of
courage but more like a badge of ignorance these days.

> I don't preach 'purist' anything. I preach excellence.

Nonsense. I've been reading this NG for years and am familiar with your
"purist" crusade including the last time you jumped all over newbies and
when nobody else jumped on your bandwagon to chastise them you stomped your
feet and unsubscribed from the NG because nobody cared what authentic "Q"
is anymore.

You have always been
> consistent in defending the lowest-common mediocre denominator.

The only person I ever defended was someone who was unjustly called stupid
and a liar.

..> My main pit
> has a gas-fired log lighter to get logs started, and goes through about a
> cord of fruitwood a week. I also use a Cookshack electric powered pit. My
> log burner puts out a better product with pork shoulders, butts and
> brisket than the Cookshack, so I limit the Cookshack to ribs and chicken
> when and if my log-burner is full. So much for the insult.

So much for proving me right.

> Your other comment regarding newbies is meaningless sniping from a
> know-nothing.

Not to the newbies.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Fed Up" > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > >
> > [ . . . ]

What better place for flaming, than a BBQ group? Dave is correct, BTW.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > >
>> Ah, the predictable anonymous leg-humper pops up yet again; too much
>> of a coward to post under its real name.

> Posting anonymously on Usenet is merely a safety precaution for
> myself as well as my loved ones.

Gee, I wonder why you'd feel that way. <snork>

>> I don't preach 'purist' anything. I preach excellence.

> Nonsense.

The nonsense is what you keep trying to stir up.

> You have always been
>> consistent in defending the lowest-common mediocre denominator.

> The only person I ever defended was someone who was unjustly called
> stupid and a liar.

Nope. You pop in anytime I post and try to defend the dreck of low
achievement.

> > My main pit
>> has a gas-fired log lighter to get logs started, and goes through
>> about a cord of fruitwood a week. I also use a Cookshack electric
>> powered pit. My log burner puts out a better product with pork
>> shoulders, butts and brisket than the Cookshack, so I limit the
>> Cookshack to ribs and chicken when and if my log-burner is full. So
>> much for the insult.

> So much for proving me right.

You were proven wrong by making uninformed claims and a complete lack of
knowledge about what you stated.

>> Your other comment regarding newbies is meaningless sniping from a
>> know-nothing.

> Not to the newbies.

As I stated, your comment regarding newbies is meaninless.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > > What better place for flaming,
than a BBQ group? Dave is correct, BTW.

I have no argument with his info, it is the manner in which he delivers it,
making newbies feel chastised instead of merely being corrected.
It drives people away. I understand that things get a little misconstrued
when conversing in print rather than face to face when things like a smile
or body language help to convey a different attitude.
but like I said before, I have read this NG for years and Dave is more often
combative and derisive than helpful.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > > What better place for
> flaming, than a BBQ group? Dave is correct, BTW.
>>

> I have no argument with his info, it is the manner in which he
> delivers it, making newbies feel chastised instead of merely being
> corrected. It drives people away.

You mean it is your *opinion* and interpretation. Otherwise, please provide
a list of all those who I've 'driven away'. And please post a specific
statement that each made stating that they are leaving due to me. Try to
corroborate your baseless assertion.

I'm waiting.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" >

> Nope. You pop in anytime I post

Nope. I haven't posted here in many months and my last visit had nothing to
do with you, in fact I think I have only addressed you once before.

> and try to defend the dreck of low

achievement.
\
People who are new to something should not be refered to as "dreck" we all
had to start somewhere. Just imagine if all people with knowledge and
experience treated people like you do.
You were once "dreck" as far as BBQ is concerned, but people had the
patience to help you, not chastise you.

>> > My main pit
>>> has a gas-fired log lighter to get logs started, and goes through
>>> about a cord of fruitwood a week. I also use a Cookshack electric
>>> powered pit. My log burner puts out a better product with pork
>>> shoulders, butts and brisket than the Cookshack, so I limit the
>>> Cookshack to ribs and chicken when and if my log-burner is full. So
>>> much for the insult.

>> So much for proving me right.

> You were proven wrong by making uninformed claims and a complete lack of
> knowledge about what you stated.

Your main pit is Southern Pride which uses either gas or electric to heat
and a wood box to provide smoke.Your other pit is electric. Neither are
"authentic" pits, so stop being a hypocrite and jumping on others for
misusing the term authentic bbq.

>>> Your other comment regarding newbies is meaningless sniping from a
>>> know-nothing.

>> Not to the newbies.

> As I stated, your comment regarding newbies is meaninless.

If newbies concerns are meaningless then why have a public NG? Everyone was
a newbie at something once.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Sep-2007, "Fed Up" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > > This is an unmoderated ng in which
> highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
> > the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
> >
> > and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
> > disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
> > disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

> You know Dave you've probably driven more newbies off this NG than anybody
>
> with your unrelenting "purist" bullshit and I find that quite ironic since
>
> you yourself use a gas fired pit and and call your product "authentic
> bbq"

I wonder when Dave changed pits. Last I heard he was still using a Southern
Pride wood burner. Maybe Fed Up has confused Dave with Big Jim and his
Lazy 'Q' rigs.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" >

> You mean it is your *opinion* and interpretation. Otherwise, please
> provide a list of all those who I've 'driven away'. And please post a
> specific statement that each made stating that they are leaving due to me.
> Try to corroborate your baseless assertion.

Well, how many continued posting after your "help"?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" >
>
>> Nope. You pop in anytime I post

> Nope. I haven't posted here in many months and my last visit had
> nothing to do with you, in fact I think I have only addressed you
> once before.

No, you're a leg-humper. The theme is the same, the language is the same,
and the compliants are the same. Of course, you try to hide behind fake IDs
to hide it.

>> and try to defend the dreck of low

> achievement.

> People who are new to something should not be refered to as "dreck"
> we all had to start somewhere.

Nice try at trying to twist words. The 'dreck' to which I refer aren't
beginners, it is for those, like you, who continually try to convince
newbies that excellence is out of their reach and mediocrity is just a good.

>>> So much for proving me right.

>> You were proven wrong by making uninformed claims and a complete
>> lack of knowledge about what you stated.
>>

> Your main pit is Southern Pride which uses either gas or electric to
> heat and a wood box to provide smoke.

I don't use a Southern Pride.... again, your lack of knowledge is telling. I
use an Ole Hickory, and there is no gas or electric heating of a 'box'. A
log lighter starts the logs in the fire box, and then the wood keeps the
fire fueled. Just the same as any offset pit.

> Your other pit is electric.

Yeah, the Cookshack uses an electric element to burn wood chunks. And it
doesn't do as well as the Ole Hickory for brisket or shoulders or butts;
which is why I use it for chicken and as a backup for ribs.

> Neither are "authentic" pits,

The Ole Hickory is plenty authentic.

> so stop being a hypocrite and jumping
> on others for misusing the term authentic bbq.

There is nothing hypocritical. I pointed out the pits I use commercially so
that those who use electric understand that I'm familiar with the equipment.
I've also stated that I think electric is not as good as fire.

>>> Not to the newbies.

>> As I stated, your comment regarding newbies is meaninless.

> If newbies concerns are meaningless then why have a public NG?
> Everyone was a newbie at something once.

Again, nice try at trying to twist words. I never stated that 'newbies
concerns are meaningless'; only your comments to *me* about newbies is
meaningless. Try reading for comprehension.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 17-Sep-2007, "Fed Up" > wrote:
>
>> "Dave Bugg" > > This is an unmoderated ng in
>> which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
>>> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's
>>> business
>>>
>>> and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
>>> disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that
>>> is disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?

>> You know Dave you've probably driven more newbies off this NG than
>> anybody
>>
>> with your unrelenting "purist" bullshit and I find that quite ironic
>> since
>>
>> you yourself use a gas fired pit and and call your product
>> "authentic bbq"

> I wonder when Dave changed pits. Last I heard he was still using a
> Southern Pride wood burner. Maybe Fed Up has confused Dave with Big
> Jim and his Lazy 'Q' rigs.

I haven't changed pits, Brick. I've always used an Ole Hickory woodburner. I
recently added a Cookshack 250 (commercial pit) because I sometimes have so
much pork and brisket going that I lack room for chickens, and sometimes
ribs.

I spent three months running trials to see if I could dial the Cookshack in
to reproduce the taste, texture, and tenderness of my Ole Hickory. I never
could get brisket or pork butts/shoulders to taste as good. It does do
chickens real well, and it does OK for ribs in a pinch. It also make a
superb holding oven.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" >
>
>> You mean it is your *opinion* and interpretation. Otherwise, please
>> provide a list of all those who I've 'driven away'. And please post a
>> specific statement that each made stating that they are leaving due
>> to me. Try to corroborate your baseless assertion.

> Well, how many continued posting after your "help"?

Quit twisting. Just post the info requested. You made the assertion, so
prove it.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" >

> The Ole Hickory is plenty authentic.

Wrong. An insulated oven is smoke cooking, not bbq.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Fed Up wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" >
>
>> The Ole Hickory is plenty authentic.

> Wrong. An insulated oven is smoke cooking, not bbq.

<snicker> 1/4 cold-rolled steel cooking chamber, indirect firebox, fresh air
intake, and chimney for the smoke. Nice try at trying to be a jerk, but
you're even a failure at that.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> I spent three months running trials to see if I could dial the Cookshack in
> to reproduce the taste, texture, and tenderness of my Ole Hickory. I never
> could get brisket or pork butts/shoulders to taste as good. It does do
> chickens real well, and it does OK for ribs in a pinch. It also make a
> superb holding oven.

Dave, what are your theories about why this is?