Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Making a real BBQ rig

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:33:19 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:

>> How does the meat your Bradley produces compare in taste to your
>> combustion smoker? I think Harry D. has a Bradley now, and since he
>> has a long history using Kamados, I'd be interested to hear his
>> comparison as well.

> Apples and oranges, Dave. The Bradley is a one trick pony in my
> stable. I've only done fish so far - Copper River Salmon [sockeye
> this time] and trout. Both have turned out superbly. And Drop-dead
> easy.
>
> The K's will grill [#3] or slow cook [#7] or can go to blast furnace
> range. I cannot tell you at this time how a brisket will taste from
> the Bradley - but will report in. I like all my Cookers.
>
> I haven't gone there yet, but don't think Bradley can rise above much
> 250. My Seattle friend has done great Leg-of-Lambs [Legs of Lamb/Legs
> of Lambs] and swears by them. We'll be there for US Thanksgiving and
> I expect he will demo this.

That would be a great opportunity for a photo series.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Sep-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > For stuff that's been refrigerated or even frozen, I use the vacuum bag
> > and boiling water process a lot and the nuker the rest of the time. I
> > don't have to worry about cheating my customer. She doesn't want to
> > do the cooking.

> Let me second that, Brick. The only trick I learned was to let the
> pulled pork or ribs cool down before vacuum bagging. That congeals the
> juice and the vacuum doesn't pull it out the opening of the bag before
> it seals. When I've not done that, I end up with a bad seal and also a
> mess in the Foodsaver.

As "Tricky Dick" used to say, "Let me just say this about that". My
snorkel sealer has the same problem. In some cases (let your imagin-
ation be your guide) I can use a folded knapkin as a filter to get by.
Mostly I do liike you do. In some cases, I bag termporarily with a
clothes pin closure and pop the bags in the freezer until they get
good and frozen. Then I vacuum them down tight with no problem.

I prefer the boiling pan of water over the
> microwave, but don't know why. Perhaps it's that the microwave can
> overheat the fatty areas more, causing more cooking where the pan of
> boiling water won't.

I do both, but the nuker gets its only points because it's so easy. The
boiler wins the quality test hands down at my house.

Also, I produce quite a bit of hard bark in my pit. I always chop and mix
the bark into the meat, but I think I prefer the texture after it has been
reheated. In the case of ribs, particularly beef back ribs, the boiling bag
routine prduces a very palatable product while salvaging all of the original
juices.

I cook for the environment in which I live. Meal preparation is a serious
business for me. I'll never be the equivalent of the TV "Soccer Mom". I
just don't have enough hands to go around. I have to get serious mileage
out of every real cooking episode with the objective of putting gobs of
"planned overs" into the refrigerator and/or freezer. My typical meal is
kind of a "Sandra Lee" type of thing with some fresh and some left-
over.

Today was not atypical. I put out about seven courses for lunch with
only one freshly cooked item. That was a 6oz piece of "Eye of Round"
which I braised for 45 minutes with onions and garlic. The rest was a
motly bunch including, steamed cabbage, boiled potatoes, carrots,
macaroni salad, cole slaw, pork roulade and chorizo hash. There was
fresh iceberg lettuce and sliced tomato for salad.

Oh yeh, there was brown gravy made from the remains of the eye of
round. I seasoned and thickened the braising liquid and called it gravy.

I was surprised to see Nathalie take seconds and even thirds on some
of the dishes.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Apples and oranges, Dave. The Bradley is a one trick pony in my
> stable. I've only done fish so far - Copper River Salmon [sockeye
> this time] and trout. Both have turned out superbly. And Drop-dead
> easy.
>
> The K's will grill [#3] or slow cook [#7] or can go to blast furnace
> range. I cannot tell you at this time how a brisket will taste from
> the Bradley - but will report in. I like all my Cookers.
>
> I haven't gone there yet, but don't think Bradley can rise above much
> 250. My Seattle friend has done great Leg-of-Lambs [Legs of Lamb/Legs
> of Lambs] and swears by them. We'll be there for US Thanksgiving and
> I expect he will demo this.
>
> Harry

Harry, I agree with you that the Bradley is not an all-inclusive outdoor
cooker. What it does, it does with excellence and convenience. In my
backyard, I have three separate cookers- the Bradley for hot or cold
smoking, a 3-burner SS gas grill with wood tray for limited smoking and
an IR grill for char-rare cooking of steaks and finishing off some other
foods. The closest to a universal gadget is the 3- burner SS grill from
Sam's Club, but none of the three can do as much alone as can be done
with the three operating in their best field.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> The closest to a
> universal gadget is the 3- burner SS grill from Sam's Club, but none
> of the three can do as much alone as can be done with the three
> operating in their best field.

The ceramic kamado-style pits is actually pretty close to a swiss army knife
for outdoor cooking. I have both a Kamado #7 and a Weber Genesis on my back
porch, along with a heavy-duty two burner, extremely high btu, propane
camp-style stove.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:53:18 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> The closest to a
>> universal gadget is the 3- burner SS grill from Sam's Club, but none
>> of the three can do as much alone as can be done with the three
>> operating in their best field.

>The ceramic kamado-style pits is actually pretty close to a swiss army knife
>for outdoor cooking. I have both a Kamado #7 and a Weber Genesis on my back
>porch, along with a heavy-duty two burner, extremely high btu, propane
>camp-style stove.

It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Sep-2007, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:53:18 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
> >Nonnymus wrote:
> >
> >> The closest to a
> >> universal gadget is the 3- burner SS grill from Sam's Club, but none
> >> of the three can do as much alone as can be done with the three
> >> operating in their best field.

> >The ceramic kamado-style pits is actually pretty close to a swiss army
> >knife
> >for outdoor cooking. I have both a Kamado #7 and a Weber Genesis on my
> >back
> >porch, along with a heavy-duty two burner, extremely high btu, propane
> >camp-style stove.

> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.
>
> Harry

3 Burner SS Grill
NB Silver Smoker (16 X 28 offset)
Coleman Cookin' Machine, (16", 2 level, gas fired, bullet smoker)
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Outdoor Cooking equipment: was/ Making a real BBQ rig

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.
>
> Harry

Something like this?

Stump's GF 222 CM
Stump's Smoker Tailgater (on order)(Is it here yet?)
#5 Kamado
#3 Kamado
#3 Kamado with Gas option
#1 Kamado
Mini Big Green Egg
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe, Homer Simpson model
Cast iron Hibachi, 2 grates
(any or all may or may not be Stoker controlled)
Cajun Cookin' Turkey Fryer
Coleman Propane stove
Coleman Hot Water

It's a disease, I tell you. I can't help it!

bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
news

> Stump's GF 222 CM

Currently has 2 butts cooking. Should be done around noon
> Stump's Smoker Tailgater (on order)(Is it here yet?)

I'm still waiting
> #5 Kamado

Cooked 2 briskets last weekend
> #3 Kamado

Seared a few Rib Eyes last Tuesday and Wednesday
> #3 Kamado with Gas option

Neighbor used it for 2 Spatchcocked chickens sometime this past week
> #1 Kamado

Hmmm? It's time to fire this baby up again.
> Mini Big Green Egg

This is a steak searing machine. Too bad it's too small for more than 1 or
2 at a time.
> Weber Smokey Mountain

I'm still learning this puppy. It's my latest edition
> Weber Smokey Joe, Homer Simpson model

Gets ignored too much. I think Homer steals half of the food, anyway.
> Cast iron Hibachi, 2 grates

I should probably give this to some deserving soul. It hasn't been used in
years.
> (any or all may or may not be Stoker controlled, except the Hibachi)

up to 4 at a time, 'til I get more fans and probes
> Cajun Cookin' Turkey Fryer

Thanksgiving will give it a work out. Already have orders for 5 fried
turkeys, and 3 fried smoked turkeys.
> Coleman Propane stove

Mostly used for breakfast or ungrilled side dishes
> Coleman Hot Water

Great for clean up, or quickly boiling water...it's almost boiling from the
tap

> It's a disease, I tell you. I can't help it!

Plus, I'm running out of room.

> bob

oops

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 22-Sep-2007, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:53:18 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
>> wrote:

>>> The ceramic kamado-style pits is actually pretty close to a swiss army
>>> knife
>>> for outdoor cooking. I have both a Kamado #7 and a Weber Genesis on my
>>> back
>>> porch, along with a heavy-duty two burner, extremely high btu, propane
>>> camp-style stove.

>> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
>> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

GOSM gas smoker, El cheapo gas grill (Whatever wallywirld has for
$150.00 every 3 years) and a Big Drum Smoker (Pirated copy)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
> news
>> Stump's GF 222 CM

> Currently has 2 butts cooking. Should be done around noon
>> Stump's Smoker Tailgater (on order)(Is it here yet?)

> I'm still waiting
>> #5 Kamado

> Cooked 2 briskets last weekend
>> #3 Kamado

> Seared a few Rib Eyes last Tuesday and Wednesday
>> #3 Kamado with Gas option

> Neighbor used it for 2 Spatchcocked chickens sometime this past week
>> #1 Kamado

> Hmmm? It's time to fire this baby up again.
>> Mini Big Green Egg

> This is a steak searing machine. Too bad it's too small for more than 1 or
> 2 at a time.
>> Weber Smokey Mountain

> I'm still learning this puppy. It's my latest edition
>> Weber Smokey Joe, Homer Simpson model

> Gets ignored too much. I think Homer steals half of the food, anyway.
>> Cast iron Hibachi, 2 grates

> I should probably give this to some deserving soul. It hasn't been used in
> years.
>> (any or all may or may not be Stoker controlled, except the Hibachi)

> up to 4 at a time, 'til I get more fans and probes
>> Cajun Cookin' Turkey Fryer

> Thanksgiving will give it a work out. Already have orders for 5 fried
> turkeys, and 3 fried smoked turkeys.
>> Coleman Propane stove

> Mostly used for breakfast or ungrilled side dishes
>> Coleman Hot Water

> Great for clean up, or quickly boiling water...it's almost boiling from the
> tap
>> It's a disease, I tell you. I can't help it!

> Plus, I'm running out of room.
>> bob

> oops
>>

> BOB

I humbly bow in your presence.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.
>
> Harry

Weber Performer, the main machine.

Weber One Touch Gold, the side dish sous chef.

Char-Grill EC Water smoker, made my maiden booty perfect.

--
Always read stuff that will make you look good
If you die in the middle of it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

A Silver Smoker (offset), Brinkman charcoal grill, Brinkman electric,
WSM and a classic Weber kettle.

The Brinkman electric was an impulse buy and I added a 2000W dimmer
to dial the temp down to do hot-smoked fish. The Silver Smoker was my
first real cooker after experimenting in the Weber kettle.

At this point, the Weber kettle and Brinkman electric don't get
used at all. The WSM is the new kid in the collection and looks
like it might practically replace the Silver Smoker for most
barbecue.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
>> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

> A WSM, a horizontal 55 gallon drum cooker and an old street corner
> postal box converted into a smoker/grill.
>
> -frohe

I have seen one in the past, but have all ways wondered where do you find
one of those old postal box?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Moe Jones wrote:
>> frohe wrote:
>>> A WSM, a horizontal 55 gallon drum cooker and an old street corner
>>> postal box converted into a smoker/grill.
>>> -frohe

>> I have seen one in the past, but have all ways wondered where do you
>> find one of those old postal box?

> The one I have was orginally my dad's. His cousin was a Postmaster who
> got him one when the post office quit using those kind of boxes.
>
> Here's a pic of one "almost" like mine. As you can see there's plenty of
> volume for doing mass amounts of BBQ.
> http://65.98.53.239/unique_bbq_smoke...ox_pyramid.htm

LOL. Leave it to Dave Klose. Is there a shape that he hasn't made into a
functional smoker or grill?

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 03:54:19 GMT, Harry Demidavicius >
> wrote:
>
>>It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
>>sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

> Just my Masterbuilt 7-in-1 (gas-fired bullet)
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

I've got one of them Masterbilt 7 in ones. A 2 burner outdoor stove with low
pressure burners, a SS turkey fryer outfit, several high pressure fish fryer
burners.
A GOSM wide body propane heated smoker and a 4 foot diameter by 12 foot
Lazy Q smoker/cooker with 2, 4 foot by 6 foot cooking chambers with 3. 4' X
6' shelves in each side. I call that my New Years Day Cooker.
I will cook on it New Years Day at our 30th annual and last New Years
Bash.
Y'all come.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 23, 8:42 pm, wrote:

> For my part, I'm not sure that I'd welcome this 'froup /en masse/,
> just yet. It's still in the air whether I'd recieve useful
> information, constructive criticism, or outright ridicule, based on
> what I've seen so far.
>
> Regasrds,

You left out the correct answer:

e. All of the above.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society > wrote in
oups.com:

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> the warlock society wrote:
>>
>> > I never provoked you or asked you a
>> > ****ing thing. You just waddled your fat, inbred, backwoods ass
>> > into my conversation for no other reason than to satisfy your
>> > pathetic, dimwitted little ego.

>> Psssst.....Bubba, here's something you need to know about usenet and
>> newsgroups: if you want a PRIVATE conversation you take it to email.
>> Otherwise, any comment you post is addressed to the whole GROUP and
>> may be responded to by anyone reading said post, even when you're
>> posting a response to another person's post.
>>
>> Now, let me know if what I wrote is too hard to understand. I will be
>> happy to re-write it for a lower grade level. I hope I've been
>> helpful.
>>
>> Hugs and kisses,
>> Dave

> You sure have a funny way of drumming up business Dave. By the way...
> is this your place of business or your home address Dave?
>
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> 841 N. Kentucky Ave
> East Wenatchee, Washington 98802
> United States
> 5092644943
>
> I wonder what the Douglas County officials would think of their new
> business owner's practice of abusing strangers on the internet? maybe
> I should send them some transcripts and ask them what they think?
>
> I'd hate for your competition to find out what about you. Imagine if
> you went to your competition's restaurant only to find your Usenet
> postings framed and highlighted on wall! How embarassing would that
> be!
>
>>From what I can tell Weatchee is a small town where you cant afford

> bad press, Dave. Lets hope my emails and phone calls dont take too
> much of a toll on your business... it sounded like your went through A
> LOT of trouble to get your restaurant started... hopefully it wasnt
> all for nothing!

In all my time in newsgroups that was absolutely the lamest threat,, go
back to troll 101
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Idjit Bob.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave SAID, and I totally agree................

> This is an unmoderated ng in which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
> and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
> disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
> disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?
>
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

BTW Dave and the rest of you that know me, after giving the mobile
kitchen unit a real go this summer, we have decided NOT to buy it.
Several reasons the biggie it is a money pit, and took way more time
out of our lives to run it to the detriment of our sauce business. We
traveled 40 miles one way just to get to it, and the road readiness of
it was not good so pulling it around was a bad idea. We made money but
all of it had to go back in to keep it working. So we are back to our
real focus, our Sauce. Losing our computer in mid summer cost us
dearly too, I am still trying to find orders that might or might not
have been shipped (thanks to trusting close friends to work for free
for me).

And after reading this thread I am just tickled PINK that the ol'
group has not changed one IOTA, keep having fun folks ! And IMHO you
cant do honest BBQ without wood.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

OL'Hippie wrote:
> Dave SAID, and I totally agree................
>>
>> This is an unmoderated ng in which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts
>> make up the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS
>> everyone's business and, as such, open to criticism or comment.
>> There will be strong disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad
>> information. If that is disagreeable to you, feel free to
>> leave...... cool?
>>
>> --
>> Davewww.davebbq.com

> BTW Dave and the rest of you that know me, after giving the mobile
> kitchen unit a real go this summer, we have decided NOT to buy it.
> Several reasons the biggie it is a money pit, and took way more time
> out of our lives to run it to the detriment of our sauce business. We
> traveled 40 miles one way just to get to it, and the road readiness of
> it was not good so pulling it around was a bad idea. We made money but
> all of it had to go back in to keep it working. So we are back to our
> real focus, our Sauce. Losing our computer in mid summer cost us
> dearly too, I am still trying to find orders that might or might not
> have been shipped (thanks to trusting close friends to work for free
> for me).

It's too bad that that specific opportunity didn't work out better, Bruce; I
was really hoping it would. I imagine if it had been in better shape and
near your location things would have turned out quite differently. Now that
you know how to run a mobile kitchen, maybe you can open something up in the
future.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 06:38:02 -0700, OL'Hippie >
wrote:

>Dave SAID, and I totally agree................
>>
>> This is an unmoderated ng in which highly skilled bbq enthusiasts make up
>> the majority of subscribers. Everything you write IS everyone's business
>> and, as such, open to criticism or comment. There will be strong
>> disagreements, chiding, and corrections to bad information. If that is
>> disagreeable to you, feel free to leave...... cool?
>>
>> --
>> Davewww.davebbq.com

>BTW Dave and the rest of you that know me, after giving the mobile
>kitchen unit a real go this summer, we have decided NOT to buy it.
>And after reading this thread I am just tickled PINK that the ol'
>group has not changed one IOTA, keep having fun folks ! And IMHO you
>cant do honest BBQ without wood.
>Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Bummer, Bruce. I know how you feel because I just sold my Investment
Book last December. It had begun to take increasing amounts of time
and I was losing out on my Insurance business. If it becomes a
millstone that holds you back from your real business, it's time to
leave.

Harry
posting from rainy [actually seriously ****ing], Nanaimo.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Harry
> posting from rainy [actually seriously ****ing], Nanaimo.

Harry, we have great friends in Victoria and have been in your town as
recently as last year. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Our
friend in Victoria advertises himself as "living on an Island in the
pacific." <grin>

Now for a serious question: Do the folks there make and eat Nanaimo
bars occasionally, or are they just for tourists? Personally, I think
they're great and have bought them at a Safeway on the island.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> Harry
>> posting from rainy [actually seriously ****ing], Nanaimo.

> Harry, we have great friends in Victoria and have been in your town as
> recently as last year. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Our
> friend in Victoria advertises himself as "living on an Island in the
> pacific." <grin>
>
> Now for a serious question: Do the folks there make and eat Nanaimo
> bars occasionally, or are they just for tourists? Personally, I think
> they're great and have bought them at a Safeway on the island.
>
> Nonny

Hi Nonny:

I don't know about Harry , but as an eastern Canadian I not only eat,
but I make Nanaimo bars. They are sooooo good.

For those who haven't had the pleasure, the traditional version is
basically a graham cracker/butter/grated coconut, chopped walnuts and
cocoa base, with a layer of icing (usually flavoured with custard
powder), and topped with melted chocolate (dark preferably). I've also
seen commercial versions flavoured with cappuchino, Baileys and Mint.

Here's a description and a great recipe (basically the one I use)
http://www.joyofbaking.com/NanaimoBars.html

MargW
(waving at Denny)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I ain't no warlock. I was a pagan fer sometime though. Thanks fer yore
support Guv.

--
Must be... Idjit

"Guv Bob" > wrote in message
Idjit Bob.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:23:55 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> Harry
>> posting from rainy [actually seriously ****ing], Nanaimo.

>Harry, we have great friends in Victoria and have been in your town as
>recently as last year. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Our
>friend in Victoria advertises himself as "living on an Island in the
>pacific." <grin>
>
>Now for a serious question: Do the folks there make and eat Nanaimo
>bars occasionally, or are they just for tourists? Personally, I think
>they're great and have bought them at a Safeway on the island.
>
>Nonny

Nanaimo, where that dessert was born, appears on menus around here but
is also made all over Canada.

There's also a song [by Stomping Tom, I believe], of what's in a
Nanaimo Bar [Bankers 'n Truckers, 'n Doctors 'n Students 'n such . . .
I have seen them around from Nova Scotia, through Quebec and all the
way out to Calgary. Christian Religion in Canada would fail if the
Church ladies couldn't serve Nanaimo Bars.

Harry

who doesn't touch them because they are so rich.

BTW They are available on the BC Ferry Fleet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn what some our fellow travelers have
> sitting in their 'outdoor kitchens'.

http://www.sedge.net/food/PodzeboMay2007.jpg
SS grill
Bandera smoker
Little Chief
and an old rusty Malm fireplace for heat/ambience
http://www.mid-century-modern.com/pr...lminaction.jpg

--
Saara
http://skagitfoodshed.wordpress.com/