Old 18-09-2007, 11:16 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Making a real BBQ rig

On Sep 18, 2:49 pm, the warlock society cast a whiny
Harry Potter spell by saying:

From what I can tell Weatchee is a small town where you cant afford bad press, Dave. Lets hope my emails and phone calls dont take too much of a toll on your business... it sounded like your went through A
LOT of trouble to get your restaurant started... hopefully it wasnt
all for nothing

You know, Dave can be blunt and opinionated. Maybe even a little fast
on the draw. So what.

I was amused by your snotty little schoolboy threats (WTF warlock,
gonna cast a spell from a Demons and Wizards game?) and thinking of
you writing his name on the bathroom wall, telling the teacher while
everyone was at recess... pretty funny. It reminds us that the
internet is truly open to all.

But for your punk ass piece of knob gobbling shit to threaten his
business is beyond childish and assinine. Pretty brave little elf
hiding behind the anonyminity of the internet, aren't you?

Even with a spell of invincibility and the pink shoes of escape
strapped firmly to your snotty little self, I wonder if you would say
that to him in person. Probably not.

Prove to us that you are actually a real warlock and make yourself
disappear. Please.

Robert

Old 18-09-2007, 11:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" wrote:
"Brick" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
Don't know how deep into this gas thing y'all have pondered, BUTT, What
is gas and where did it come from? Mostly from decomposed forests. And
what are they? DEAD TREES. I rest my caseg

As did anthracite and bituminous coal. I ya don't like it, lump it! I rest
my case. vbg

~Semper Fi~
Old 19-09-2007, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

the warlock society wrote:

you preach because you know you're a ****ing piece of shit loser

I knew this was a coming.

*plonk*

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 19-09-2007, 12:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 18, 2:49 pm, the warlock society cast a whiny
Harry Potter spell by saying:

From what I can tell Weatchee is a small town where you cant afford bad

press, Dave. Lets hope my emails and phone calls dont take too much of a
toll on your business... it sounded like your went through A
[...]

I think you guys are being a little too harsh with Mr Warlock...I was just
beginning to like him.

Old 19-09-2007, 01:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Sep-2007, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

Brick wrote:

I was a newbie 4 years ago. I'm still here. I'm sure there's some wish
I wasn't.

But then who'd be the afb curmudgoen?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Yeh, the best had the audacity to die on us.
Long live Jack Curry and Cuchulain (The Hound) Libby.

Of course Hound didn't qualify agewise, but he held his
own in other curmudgoinly attributes. Jack wasn't all
that old either. Must have been the good livin' did them in.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

Old 19-09-2007, 01:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Sep-2007, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out why there is a 1000% increase in
flavor from heating on the pit as opposed to heating on a baking sheet
in the oven. Neither have smoke, both are controlled temps, neither
are foiled, but the flavor difference is huge.
Any thoughts on that one? I figure you might be all over this mystery
since you no doubt face this problem every day in the restaurant. And
of course, if you know of a better way to reheat those last two racks
of spares, I would love to hear it.

Robert

Maybe it has to do with the seasoning of the pit vs the cleanliness of the

oven? :-) I honestly don't know. A lot of folks will cut left over slabs

into single bones, stick 'em into a foodsaver or other vacuum sealer bag
and
seal, and then throw the intact bag in a pot of boiling water to reheat. I

think the biggest factor in reheating is to do it in a manner that reduces

meat exposure to air movement (drying).

Brick has spent a lot of time researching vacuum system bags and costs,
etc.
and can give you more info.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

I can't add any daylight to that discussion. Vacuum bagging greatly
reduces the loss of moisture and or dilution of flavor attributed to other
methods of reheating. And anything that does leak out of the meat will
end up on your plate if you put it there. I confess, I haven't tried
reheating
in the pit. It wouldn't be reasonable for the tiny quantities that I reheat.

Something I heard Mario Batelli relate on his show recently lends
credibility
to Dave's guess about the environment of a well seasoned pit. Mario said
that bread baked in a brand new oven isn't near as good as that baked in
the same oven months later. In the case of bread, he attributed it to
particles
of yeast hanging around in the air. Given that, just sticking my head in my
pit and checking the smell, I can say with authority, that it doesn't smell
anything like my kitchen oven. It's bound to have some effect on whatever
is heated in there.

I've seen Big Jim reheat the day after cooking, using foil. I've had decent
results doing the same thing. On two occasions I used one of those big
portable roaster ovens to reheat a variety of 'Q' products. I did that last
month when Big Jim, BobinGA, Ginger and TFM® & Company were here
to chow down and swap lies.

All I'm going to say about that is that it beats keeping guests waiting for
some food after they have driven half a day to get to my place. I wouldn't
have tried to reheat and hold in 'MY' pit because I can't control the temp
well enough. I liked the portable roaster because I was able to fill it
completely full. I don't know how that translates to taste, but it made
me feel better.

Bottom line; I don't know either.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Old 19-09-2007, 01:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:44:34 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

vex wrote:
Brick wrote:
I was a newbie 4 years ago. I'm still here. I'm sure there's some
wish I wasn't.

I was a newbie right now. (heh)

Dave's advice, along with others, have helped me out quite a bit.

Dang, Brett, and your still here!!!?? I'm falling down on the job
:-)

So'm I--even after the trauma of meeting you in Real Life (tm).

LOL!!!

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 19-09-2007, 01:57 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:47:17 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Brick wrote:

I was a newbie 4 years ago. I'm still here. I'm sure there's some
wish I wasn't.

But then who'd be the afb curmudgoen?

denny raises his hand, and switches to one of his most-used sig
files

-Denny-
the curmudgeonly editor

Maybe we should start a Curmudgeon Committee. It could be a sub-committee of
the Cabal.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 19-09-2007, 02:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Sep-2007, Nonnymus wrote:

Dave Bugg wrote:

How does the meat your Bradley produces compare in taste to your
combustion
smoker? I think Harry D. has a Bradley now, and since he has a long
history
using Kamados, I'd be interested to hear his comparison as well.

Sadly, all I can go on is memory, Dave. My comparison by recollection
is that the Bradley does a darn good job, but obviously no aesthetic
smoke ring. After moving here to a small lot, I started out with a gas
grill from Sam's Club and did offset using one burner for wood chips in
foil and the balance of the grate for ribs or butt. I DID get a small
smoke ring from the chips in foil, which would make me think that it's a
factor of the heat of the wood chips. Unlike the Bradley pucks, I also
got gray ash from the wood chips in foil.

My grill also has a little tray where you can actually burn or heat the
chips over a gas "log lighter"-type of burner. I don't like that and
seldom used it because the wood would always ignite, since there was no
regulation of combustion air to the wood as you'd have with chips in foil.

The problem with using a grill and even chips in foil is exactly what
you were talking about. The hood of a grill provides literally no
regulation of air flow and when doing low and slow in it, the meat dries
out. IMHO, if we were to list (maybe a good idea) the things that make
low and slow so successful, I'd put 1) controlled airflow in the smoking
chamber to balance off humidity and drying. . . right up there toward
the top.

Heck, when I get a chance I might even start a thread listing possible
"important" things for low and slow and maybe some of the pros can kick
in and make it something usable for all.

Nonny

Now you've gone an got me curious about what difference there is between
my gas bullet smoker and my offset. The gas bullet is built almost exactly
like a WSM except that it has a round stovelike burner under a grate covered
with lava rock. It has a water pan and a center section with two grates just
like the WSM. It differs however, in that it has NO adjustable vents.
There's
not much room to put in wood chunks/chips, but I might use a little CI
skillet for that purpose in place of some of the lava rock.

I think I'll buy a butt and experiment. I'm mainly curious about that smoke
ring thing and my perceived difference in taste between meat with a
pronounced smoke ring and meat without. What I'm saying is, "I don't
know if my gasser with wood chunks produces anything like the same
taste I get from the offset.

The gasser does have one positive attribute. The burner runs 'Real' low
and I haven't changed the tank in a couple of years. I just got a 3 burner
grill this summer and have changed that tank already.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Old 19-09-2007, 04:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

[...]

If one of us was a scientist, I bet he could make up some experiments.
One of my failings as a woodworking hobbyist was that I refused to
build things from plans. To me, the fun was building something one off,
using just a scratch pad to do the math or straighten out my mind. I
guess that's why I'm not a baker, because they have to work from
recipes, where I don't.

I know that on my Bradley, I've not fiddled with the damper in months.
It's about 3/4 open and that works for everything I've cooked to date
after getting it the way I want. The Bradley's only source of incoming
air is around the puck feeder and that's not dampered. My guess is that
the pucks get enough air to let them smolder away, but not enough for
combustion. I just don't know. What I do know is that the consumed
puck is still puck shaped and black as soot- not gray.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

Old 19-09-2007, 12:55 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I've seen Big Jim reheat the day after cooking, using foil. I've had
decent
results doing the same thing.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

I only reheat brisket in foil, all other no foil.
IMO chick and ribs are not good candidates for reheating in a commercial
environment.
At home I use the NUKER.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Old 19-09-2007, 10:52 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
. I use an Ole Hickory, and there is no gas or electric heating of a 'box'.
A log lighter starts the logs in the fire box, and then the wood keeps the
fire fueled. Just the same as any offset pit.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

You are the 1st restaurant dude that I have 'known' that turns the gas off
in the OH once the wood is light---more power to ya!!!

Buzz

Old 19-09-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Buzz1 wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
. I use an Ole Hickory, and there is no gas or electric heating of a
'box'. A log lighter starts the logs in the fire box, and then the
wood keeps the fire fueled. Just the same as any offset pit.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

You are the 1st restaurant dude that I have 'known' that turns the
gas off in the OH once the wood is light---more power to ya!!!

I haven't had much of a problem at all doing it that way. The secret is to
build up a good bed of coals. If need be I add lump into the mix.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 20-09-2007, 12:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Sep-2007, "Big Jim" wrote:

"Brick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I've seen Big Jim reheat the day after cooking, using foil. I've had
decent
results doing the same thing.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

I only reheat brisket in foil, all other no foil.
IMO chick and ribs are not good candidates for reheating in a commercial

environment.
At home I use the NUKER.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

I don't know a thing about the commercial business of cooking. But I
don't think I'd pay good money for reheated day old 'Q' if I could recognize
it as such.

I have had good results though with reheating pit smoked meats
that have not gone through a refrigerator cycle. For that gathering
I fed last August, everything was reheated except the chicken. The
food police would likely frown on it, but they don't eat at my place.

For stuff that's been refrigerated or even frozen, I use the vacuum bag
and boiling water process a lot and the nuker the rest of the time. I
don't have to worry about cheating my customer. She doesn't want to
do the cooking.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Old 20-09-2007, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

For stuff that's been refrigerated or even frozen, I use the vacuum bag
and boiling water process a lot and the nuker the rest of the time. I
don't have to worry about cheating my customer. She doesn't want to
do the cooking.

Let me second that, Brick. The only trick I learned was to let the
pulled pork or ribs cool down before vacuum bagging. That congeals the
juice and the vacuum doesn't pull it out the opening of the bag before
it seals. When I've not done that, I end up with a bad seal and also a
mess in the Foodsaver. I prefer the boiling pan of water over the
microwave, but don't know why. Perhaps it's that the microwave can
overheat the fatty areas more, causing more cooking where the pan of
boiling water won't.