Old 26-09-2007, 02:54 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default French Fries

Steve Calvin wrote:
charlyhorse wrote:
"Moe Jones" wrote in news:46e94153$0$25471
:

Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make
some homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and
wanted some feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

obviously you used the wrong smoke, I'd have gone with pecan.

huh?

I just want to know what a used Russet potato is. or maby not. :]

Your going to have to experiment with the size of the fries.
All you need is to put them in an ice water bath for about 45 min
and carefully dry the water off the fries. (that's important) :O

Remember to cook in small batches, allowing the oil to come back
up to temperature.

As for temp, 400 is a bit high and might not cook thicker fries
through before they start to burn on the outside.

Try cooking them longer at a lower temperature 300 till they
just start to turn from translucent to pale gold (6-10 min),
then put them out to drain for about 30 min (up to 1 hour).
Then turn the heat up to 375 and put them back in till
they start to turn golden. (2-4 min) That makes them very
crispy on the outside.

As for seaoning, I rather like a bit of BBQ seasoning sprinkled
over them. Same stuff you use for dry coating.

The alternative is to bake some potatos then let them cool.
Refrigerate, then later you cut them into slices (1/8" thick)
and just drop them into an oiled frying pan to brown. Same
rough idea as the fries, but they work better for breakfast.

--
DougW

Old 26-09-2007, 03:22 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:
charlyhorse wrote:
"Moe Jones" wrote in news:46e94153$0$25471
:

Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make
some homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and
wanted some feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

obviously you used the wrong smoke, I'd have gone with pecan.

huh?

I just want to know what a used Russet potato is. or maby not. :]

Gotcha, I missed the humor with the smoke reference.

--
Steve
Old 26-09-2007, 06:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:

[...]

And, if you want true excellence, I hear that horse fat is preferred in
Europe. However, there IS an easier way.

Peel the potatoes if you want. I like the skins on 'em. Clean 'em if
you don't peel 'em.

Slice the potatoes so they are about 3/8" on a side. Put them in a
pot. Cover them with liquid vegetable oil. Put a thermometer in the
oil and put the pot on your range. Turn the burner under the pot up to
full heat. When the temperature of the oil is around 325 to 350F, the
fries are done. You might want a different temp, depending on how crisp
and dark you like your fries. How long it takes depends on your range.
I'm at 7,700 feet above sea level, which reduces the btus considerably,
so it takes about 45 minutes. It would take that long to heat the oil too.

When the oil is at temp, turn off the heat, remove the fries, put 'em on
paper toweling to dry. Sprinkle with salt, seasoned salt, bbq
seasoning, dehydrated habaneros or whatever floats your boat.

I got the recipe from, "The Man Who Ate Everything." The author is a
food reviewer for a big magazine and a judge on Iron Chef America. A
chapter of the book is devoted to french fries. Another chapter is
devoted to catsup. I thought there was NO way this would work, so I had
to try it. It works great! The fries are crisp and are not greasy.

Oh, yeah, he said the horse fat worked very well, but not that much
better than lard.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Think hard now! Which one is Shinola?