FoodBanter.com

-   -   Comparison of roast pork (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/134595-comparison-roast-pork.html)

Nonnymus[_5_] 09-09-2007 09:43 PM

Comparison of roast pork

I have an interesting little taste comparison happening here at the
house. I recently did a butt in my Bradley, using my standard and quite
typical, technique. The butt was soaked in my apple juice marinade for
several days, then patted dry, slathered in warm bacon fat and coated
with my own dry rub, S&P. It was apple smoked for about 15 hours to
180f, then the bone pulled out (light finger pressure) and the butt
pulled and chopped. As with Brick, I cut off a lot of the bark/fat and
then finely chopped it with a clever, adding it back to blend in with
the interior meat.

This morning, my good friend and neighbor brought over some pork he'd
cooked in his electric oven overnight. He'd scored a 24" or so long
loin at Costco and had baked it. The only thing he'd done was to
sprinkle it well with S&P before cutting into two parallel pieces in his
baking tray. This morning, he cut the pieces into about 4" chunks and
popped them apart with a fork. There was no marinade, smoke or rub
applied except for the S&P. He brought me over a couple pounds and it
smelled great. IMHO, he always tends to overcook all meat, so that's
another difference.

Tonight, Mrs Nonny and I are going to make two pulled pork sandwiches
with slaw on them. One will be my smoked butt and the other my friend's
version. We'll cut each sandwich in half, giving ourselves half of
each. We both usually sprinkle our sandwiches with spicy vinegar, but
for the taste test tonight, I think we'll start out "dry," at least at
first.

It should be interesting.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

Pete C. 09-09-2007 10:44 PM

Comparison of roast pork

Nonnymus wrote:

> I have an interesting little taste comparison happening here at the
> house. I recently did a butt in my Bradley, using my standard and quite
> typical, technique. The butt was soaked in my apple juice marinade for
> several days, then patted dry, slathered in warm bacon fat and coated
> with my own dry rub, S&P. It was apple smoked for about 15 hours to
> 180f, then the bone pulled out (light finger pressure) and the butt
> pulled and chopped. As with Brick, I cut off a lot of the bark/fat and
> then finely chopped it with a clever, adding it back to blend in with
> the interior meat.
>
> This morning, my good friend and neighbor brought over some pork he'd
> cooked in his electric oven overnight. He'd scored a 24" or so long
> loin at Costco and had baked it. The only thing he'd done was to
> sprinkle it well with S&P before cutting into two parallel pieces in his
> baking tray. This morning, he cut the pieces into about 4" chunks and
> popped them apart with a fork. There was no marinade, smoke or rub
> applied except for the S&P. He brought me over a couple pounds and it
> smelled great. IMHO, he always tends to overcook all meat, so that's
> another difference.
>
> Tonight, Mrs Nonny and I are going to make two pulled pork sandwiches
> with slaw on them. One will be my smoked butt and the other my friend's
> version. We'll cut each sandwich in half, giving ourselves half of
> each. We both usually sprinkle our sandwiches with spicy vinegar, but
> for the taste test tonight, I think we'll start out "dry," at least at
> first.
>
> It should be interesting.
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don’t stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

Besides the technique differences, I'm not sure you have much of a valid
comparison between a butt and a loin.

Nonnymus[_5_] 10-09-2007 12:54 AM

Comparison of roast pork

Pete C. wrote:

>> Tonight, Mrs Nonny and I are going to make two pulled pork sandwiches
>> with slaw on them. One will be my smoked butt and the other my friend's
>> version. We'll cut each sandwich in half, giving ourselves half of
>> each. We both usually sprinkle our sandwiches with spicy vinegar, but
>> for the taste test tonight, I think we'll start out "dry," at least at
>> first.
>>
>> It should be interesting.
>>
>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---
>> You don’t stand any taller by
>> trying to make others appear shorter.

> Besides the technique differences, I'm not sure you have much of a valid
> comparison between a butt and a loin.

True, but we'll be able to tell which we prefer in a sandwich. My
guess is that'll we'll prefer the traditional butt, since that's what we
grew up with, but it'll be fun to do the side-by-side comparison.

Nonny

Nonnymus[_5_] 10-09-2007 07:40 PM

Comparison of roast pork- report on finding

Nonnymus wrote:
> Pete C. wrote:
>

>>> Tonight, Mrs Nonny and I are going to make two pulled pork sandwiches
>>> with slaw on them. One will be my smoked butt and the other my friend's
>>> version. We'll cut each sandwich in half, giving ourselves half of
>>> each. We both usually sprinkle our sandwiches with spicy vinegar, but
>>> for the taste test tonight, I think we'll start out "dry," at least at
>>> first.
>>>
>>> It should be interesting.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ---Nonnymus---
>>> You don’t stand any taller by
>>> trying to make others appear shorter.

>> Besides the technique differences, I'm not sure you have much of a valid
>> comparison between a butt and a loin.

> True, but we'll be able to tell which we prefer in a sandwich. My
> guess is that'll we'll prefer the traditional butt, since that's what we
> grew up with, but it'll be fun to do the side-by-side comparison.
>
> Nonny

Well, we had our little experiment and the results were what I'd
expected. The butt won hands down when it came to making a sandwich. I
made the two sandwiches my favorite way, using hot dog buns, slaw and
spicy vinegar topping. The one made using my friend's roasted and
pulled loin was mushy, had no bark and lacked any smoke flavor. I think
he snuck a little garlic butter on it, though, and that wasn't bad at
all. Please understand, it was good- darned good in fact- for a roast
and pulled pork loin, but that was way outclassed by traditional
barbecue like a pulled butt roast.

After supper, I took what was left and added KC Masterpiece to it and
returned the bowl to the refrigerator. This morning for breakfast, I
heated a serving and ate it on another hot dog bun. It was quite
acceptable that way, and about what is served in most restaurants as a
barbecue pork sandwich.

I guess I'm just mellowing with age, but the older I get, the fuzzier
my opinions are of what is good and bad. I really like smoked, pulled
pork butt and it's about as much of a staple here as are Mazlo's
essentials like water, air and martinis. However, there's room in this
world, and my refrigerator, for other things beyond "pure" barbecue.
I'd never try to tell a purist that what I had for breakfast was real
barbecue, but I'd offer to share it with a friend and would expect him
or her to enjoy it. I remember as a kid how much I enjoyed it when Mom
would add Hunt's to leftover roast beef or a pork roast and serve it the
next meal. We called that barbecue back then, and it still brings a
warm memory to mind when I eat it. Nowadays, that kind of food isn't my
first choice, since I have other preferences, but I'm sure not ready to
malign it, either.

Nonny

Edwin Pawlowski 11-09-2007 02:39 AM

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Well, we had our little experiment and the results were what I'd expected.
> The butt won hands down when it came to making a sandwich. I made the two
> sandwiches my favorite way, using hot dog buns, slaw and spicy vinegar
> topping. The one made using my friend's roasted and pulled loin was
> mushy, had no bark and lacked any smoke flavor.

I'm not sure what the goal really was. Sort of like comparing apples and
oranges to see which makes the best orange juice. Or saying a Ferrari is a
lousy car compared to the Family Truckster because you can't fit four sheet
of plywood in it. They each have a place.

Butt is made for pulled pork. Loins make good sandwiches, but it is not
meant for barbecue. Slice it thin with mayo and a slice of tomato and you
have a good sandwich. Or in gravy for a hot pork sandwich.

Pete C. 11-09-2007 02:55 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> > Well, we had our little experiment and the results were what I'd expected.
> > The butt won hands down when it came to making a sandwich. I made the two
> > sandwiches my favorite way, using hot dog buns, slaw and spicy vinegar
> > topping. The one made using my friend's roasted and pulled loin was
> > mushy, had no bark and lacked any smoke flavor.

> I'm not sure what the goal really was. Sort of like comparing apples and
> oranges to see which makes the best orange juice. Or saying a Ferrari is a
> lousy car compared to the Family Truckster because you can't fit four sheet
> of plywood in it. They each have a place.
>
> Butt is made for pulled pork. Loins make good sandwiches, but it is not
> meant for barbecue. Slice it thin with mayo and a slice of tomato and you
> have a good sandwich. Or in gravy for a hot pork sandwich.

I don't know, loin / tenderloin does well marinated or rubbed and
lightly smoked, particularly jerk rubbed. Still sliced, not pulled
though.

Nonnymus[_5_] 11-09-2007 04:25 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Butt is made for pulled pork. Loins make good sandwiches, but it is not
> meant for barbecue. Slice it thin with mayo and a slice of tomato and you
> have a good sandwich. Or in gravy for a hot pork sandwich.

I know it's controversial to the purists, but the pulled loin, mixed
with KC Masterpiece makes a very good sandwich as well. There's a place
in the world for both, IMHO, though I still prefer the butt/slaw/spicy
vinegar somewhat.

Nonny