Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket: dry flat, point heaven

Clearly, the cryo packer cut brisket from China Mart will have to do
as the only other market to carry the cut in my area wants $4.00 a lb
(WTF)!
So, to further improve my brisket cooking (without the use of foil) I
am turning to the list.

My issue: By the time the point is done the flat seems "well done".

- Do I need to separate the point from the flat prior to cooking?

I run my pit temps in the 250 - 300 degree range. Lump charcoal,
offset NB Silver Smoker/BD

Rob
Q for all so long as it's not parboiled ribs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Clearly, the cryo packer cut brisket from China Mart will have to do
> as the only other market to carry the cut in my area wants $4.00 a lb
> (WTF)!
> So, to further improve my brisket cooking (without the use of foil) I
> am turning to the list.
>
> My issue: By the time the point is done the flat seems "well done".
>
> - Do I need to separate the point from the flat prior to cooking?
>
> I run my pit temps in the 250 - 300 degree range. Lump charcoal,
> offset NB Silver Smoker/BD
>
> Rob
> Q for all so long as it's not parboiled ribs.

That can happen. Some people do separate them at the end and leave the point
a bit longer. I judge by the flat and the point is always OK for me, but it
could easily go a bit more with no harm. If you don't think it is done
enough, just put it back on the heat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Doneness is measured in the flat, not the point. When it hits 195-200°,
> it's time to come off. Both pieces will be done.

Glad I asked guys! Seems I'm always learning...
On my last cook I did put the point back on for a while.
But, I guess waited too long on getting the flat out of the smoke.

At 195 - 200 will the point be "pullable" as in ready for sandwhiches
or just for slicing?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message

At 195 - 200 will the point be "pullable" as in ready for sandwhiches
or just for slicing?

Sort of a thick slice or it will pull apart When cooled, you can slice it
thin for cold sandwiches.