Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default I think I am getting the hang of this..

I finally got a decent thermometer for my smoker (such things are rare
in this neck of the woods, but eBay is your friend) We had company
yesterday, my Dear Hubby's brother who lives on the other side of the
continent. So the day before I got a nice sized pork shoulder, and
rubbed it down turbinado sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder
and left it to rest overnight in the fridge. Come the next morning,
started the fire at 6:30am, brought the heat up to 250F and had the
roast on at 7:30.

I smoked it with a mixture of hickory and sugar maple, and made a sop
consisting of the remainder of the rub, cider vinegar and a shot of
worcestershire sauce. I based about every hour - hour and a half, that
time just happened to coincide with the time I needed to toss on a bit
more charcoal to keep the temp a more or less even 250.

It was 4:30 in the afternoon, and the internal temp was 195F, so I took
it off and wrapped in foil until dinner was ready to serve. Oh, it was
divine, pulled away from the bone beautifully, the meat tender moist and
succulent with a nice "bark". I served it with warm "golden barbecue
sauce" on the side.

This was the best one yet. My guests were impressed (smoke cooking being
relatively unusual here) and delighted. As a bonus there is just enough
left over for Dear Hubby to have for supper tonight while I am at work.

Abby
--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Childfree Abby wrote:

> It was 4:30 in the afternoon, and the internal temp was 195F, so I took
> it off and wrapped in foil until dinner was ready to serve. Oh, it was
> divine, pulled away from the bone beautifully, the meat tender moist and
> succulent with a nice "bark". I served it with warm "golden barbecue
> sauce" on the side.
>
> This was the best one yet. My guests were impressed (smoke cooking being
> relatively unusual here) and delighted. As a bonus there is just enough
> left over for Dear Hubby to have for supper tonight while I am at work.

Outstanding!

Sometimes it amazes me how excited people get about real
barbecue, then I think back to the first time I did a
butt, and excited *I* was. Once you get the hang of it,
it's still amazing how easy and inexpensive it is to eat
outstanding barbecue.

Great job -
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Childfree Abby" > wrote in message
> It was 4:30 in the afternoon, and the internal temp was 195F,

so I took
> it off and wrapped in foil until dinner was ready to serve.

Oh, it was
> divine, pulled away from the bone beautifully, the meat tender

moist and
> succulent with a nice "bark". I served it with warm "golden

barbecue
> sauce" on the side.

Way to go! I am soooooooooo jealous--but glad you've got it
down pat, right down to good timing. You give me hope <g>.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> Sometimes it amazes me how excited people get about real
> barbecue, then I think back to the first time I did a
> butt, and excited *I* was.

Heck, I remember when DH and I used to drive across town to eat
what we thought was good barbecue. Then we discovered another
BBQ joint a little farther out. The BBQ is waaaaaaaaaaay better
than the first place (however, not consistently great), and we've
never gone back to the first place.

Still want to master it for ourselves, though. Never know when
the BBQ joint owners are going to retire and move to FL.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:34:15 -0400, "Karen C."

> wrote:
> Rule #1: learn your rig.
> You do have a rig, don'cha? If not, I can say a few things in

favor
> of an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann), at least to get your feet wet.

But
> be ready to modify it.

We just got a WSM, but I've only been able to use it twice, so
far. We had a record-breaking summer with several 100-degree
temps (with very high humidity), and I just wasn't willing to
risk an asthma attack to use it during those times. The weather
seems to be breaking this week, so I'm anxious to use it more
now.

I think chickens are next on the menu <g>.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 20:22:51 -0400, "Karen C."

> wrote:
> Whole chikens have worked well for me (as have leg quarters -

really
> cheap at the grocery version of WalMart).

Got a couple of whole ones at Sam's. Just haven't figured out
how to do them yet.

> If you go with the whole bird, I'd reccomend taking Alton

Brown's
> advice: Stuffing is evil, but the cavity is an _opportunity!_

(Free
> interpretation)
>
> Consider filling the cavity with aromatics, such as fresh

herbs,
> garlic, onions, lemon slices, whatever. Always wored for me.

That sounds good. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen C. wrote:

> Way to go! I am soooooooooo jealous--but glad you've got it
> down pat, right down to good timing. You give me hope <g>.
>
> Karen C.

I can't say that I have it "down pat" as this is still
a work in progress. The timing was a challenge though; I have to
remember, like making wine, it just can't be rushed.

Abby
--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Childfree Abby says...

>I can't say that I have it "down pat" as this is still
>a work in progress. The timing was a challenge though; I have to
>remember, like making wine, it just can't be rushed.

After BBQing for a while I've become my own worst critic. Everyone will rave
about my pulled pork. But I will find something about it that I would do
differently the next time.

I have some recipes that are "keepers". But I also like to try different
ones--so it is a lot of trial and error.

But it is a fun hobby that allows me to enjoy the results when I'm done.

For guys, it is kind of like giving birth: Saying "Look what I made!" while
holding up a tray of ribs is really fun. Especially when everything comes out
right.

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

[OT] Hang on! Here we gooo.... notbob[_5_] General Cooking 16 07-07-2011 09:38 PM
Where the abalone, and crayfish hang out PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 16 21-09-2008 02:43 PM
Home cooking, and a nice place to hang out... [email protected] General Cooking 0 26-03-2007 08:21 AM
How to hang meat Ronnie Barbecue 4 23-07-2006 03:22 PM
[Help] {Tech sup] Aloha POS was hang and day-end twice [email protected] Restaurants 0 16-01-2006 12:05 PM