Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Oversmoking?

I've been BBQing quite a bit, and I've had overdone and underdone meat, but
I've never run into oversmoked meat. In my experience, the smokier the
better. I'm not just smoking for low & slow, I'm obviously looking forward
to the smoke flavor. OF course, I've only ever used apricot and plum woods,
and maybe there's little danger in oversmoking with such wood. But I always
hear about oversmoked BBQ, especially the bitterness associated with it.

So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?

Craig Winchell

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Craig Winchell" > wrote in message
> I've been BBQing quite a bit, and I've had overdone and underdone meat,
> but I've never run into oversmoked meat. In my experience, the smokier
> the better. I'm not just smoking for low & slow, I'm obviously looking
> forward to the smoke flavor. OF course, I've only ever used apricot and
> plum woods, and maybe there's little danger in oversmoking with such wood.
> But I always hear about oversmoked BBQ, especially the bitterness
> associated with it.
>
> So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
> the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
> hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?

Just think of smoke as a spice. As with any spice, yes, you can over-do it.
MY opinion is, if you can specifically pick out any one spice, then you've
added too much of that spice, same with smoke.

Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so too much for me might not be
enough for you.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Craig Winchell" > wrote in message

> So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
> the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
> hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?

Any wood can give a creosote flavored product. Comes down to fire control.
Some smokers are not designed for all wood, but rather charcoal and they are
more prone to large smoldering fires when fed logs. That thin blue wisp of
smoke does all the work you need. .

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Craig Winchell wrote:
> I've been BBQing quite a bit, and I've had overdone and underdone meat, but
> I've never run into oversmoked meat. In my experience, the smokier the
> better. I'm not just smoking for low & slow, I'm obviously looking forward
> to the smoke flavor. OF course, I've only ever used apricot and plum woods,
> and maybe there's little danger in oversmoking with such wood. But I always
> hear about oversmoked BBQ, especially the bitterness associated with it.
>
> So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
> the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
> hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?
>
> Craig Winchell

mesquite is pretty strong and can get out of hand

jOhN
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jOhN wrote:

> mesquite is pretty strong and can get out of hand
>
> jOhN

Agreed. I can't stand the stuff personally. But, others love
it. Give it a shot Craig. The folks exporting it from Texas
will love ya. ;-D

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Craig Winchell" > wrote in message
>>
>> So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
>> the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
>> hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?

> Any wood can give a creosote flavored product. Comes down to fire
> control. Some smokers are not designed for all wood, but rather charcoal
> and they are more prone to large smoldering fires when fed logs. That
> thin blue wisp of smoke does all the work you need. .

OK, so you're saying that the oversmoking is due to the thick creosote-laden
smoke. Probably why I haven't run into oversmoked meat, as I go for the
thin blue smoke. I use pretty green wood, usually cut off the tree within a
week of use, and when a log first goes on the coals, it smokes heavily, but
quickly calms down. The vast, vast majority of the smoking time is thin
blue smoke.

Craig

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Craig Winchell" > wrote in message
>> I've been BBQing quite a bit, and I've had overdone and underdone meat,
>> but I've never run into oversmoked meat. In my experience, the smokier
>> the better. I'm not just smoking for low & slow, I'm obviously looking
>> forward to the smoke flavor. OF course, I've only ever used apricot and
>> plum woods, and maybe there's little danger in oversmoking with such
>> wood. But I always hear about oversmoked BBQ, especially the bitterness
>> associated with it.
>>
>> So, is oversmoking caused by too much thin blue smoke, or is it caused by
>> the thick, billowing creosote-laden smoke? Is it more prevalent with
>> hickory and/or oak, or can virtually any wood cause oversmoking?
>>

> Just think of smoke as a spice. As with any spice, yes, you can over-do
> it.
> MY opinion is, if you can specifically pick out any one spice, then you've
> added too much of that spice, same with smoke.

For me, it's gotta taste smokey. The smoke shouldn't be overpowering, but
one should be able to pick it out easily. Since the meat is already
heavily spiced, the smoke must stand out somewhat, but still be
complementary to the rub, and if sauced, the sauce as well. Otherwise,
might as well braise the meat, served with spicy gravy. Every one of the
meats that does best with smoking does wonderfully with braising too, and if
not overcooked, it's somewhat similar texturally as well. So smoke is a
differentiating factor, and in my opinion, must be pronounced, but as I say,
compementary.

Craig

> Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so too much for me might not
> be enough for you.
>
> BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> jOhN wrote:
>>>

>> mesquite is pretty strong and can get out of hand
>>
>> jOhN

> Agreed. I can't stand the stuff personally. But, others love it. Give it a
> shot Craig. The folks exporting it from Texas will love ya. ;-D

I typically use mesquite charcoal for the heat, and find it to be pretty
neutral compared with the apricot and plum woods I use for the smoke. But I
hear that the mesquite wood itself is awful. By the time it's charcoal,
it's lost a lot of the flavors, and from what I hear, it's the better for
it.

Craig