Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Oven finish for a rainy breezy day? WSM

Dudes,
I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.

Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> Dudes,
> I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
>
> Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

Pork Shoulders that is... Is there any other?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> Dudes,
> I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
>
> Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

By my estimate, you started too late. Shoulders take about
1.5 hours/pound at Q temps (225-275F), which works out to
maybe 13.5 hours in your case.

So, to finish in the oven, I'd normally run the oven at the
same temp I run my cooker, but in your case, you'll probably
need more heat, like 325-350F to even have a hope of finishing
in time.

How'd it go?

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Aug-2007, Dana Myers > wrote:

> Sonoran Dude wrote:
> > Dudes,
> > I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> > the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> > the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> > Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> > are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> > and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> > I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> > ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> > is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
> >
> > Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

> By my estimate, you started too late. Shoulders take about
> 1.5 hours/pound at Q temps (225-275F), which works out to
> maybe 13.5 hours in your case.
>
> So, to finish in the oven, I'd normally run the oven at the
> same temp I run my cooker, but in your case, you'll probably
> need more heat, like 325-350F to even have a hope of finishing
> in time.
>
> How'd it go?
>
> Dana

According to your math Dana, the butts I cooked friday should have
taken nine and one half hours and eight and one half hours respectively.
Those sure were some stupid butts. They reached 190° in four and a
half hours and were about as tender and juicy as any I've ever cooked.
I was a little worried about the briquettes I was using, "Original Charcoal
Co. "Rancher" " briquettes. But they worked alright and caused no
adverse taste in the pork. I ran out of oak chunks too. I had to use
some old hickory chips wrapped in foil to get any smoke at all.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> According to your math Dana, the butts I cooked friday should have
> taken nine and one half hours and eight and one half hours respectively.
> Those sure were some stupid butts. They reached 190° in four and a
> half hours and were about as tender and juicy as any I've ever cooked.

What temperature were you cooking them at?

> I was a little worried about the briquettes I was using, "Original Charcoal
> Co. "Rancher" " briquettes. But they worked alright and caused no
> adverse taste in the pork.

Rancher briquettes are good stuff.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Aug-2007, Dana Myers > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > According to your math Dana, the butts I cooked friday should have
> > taken nine and one half hours and eight and one half hours respectively.
> > Those sure were some stupid butts. They reached 190° in four and a
> > half hours and were about as tender and juicy as any I've ever cooked.

> What temperature were you cooking them at?

Nominal 270°F where the butts were located

> > I was a little worried about the briquettes I was using, "Original
> > Charcoal
> > Co. "Rancher" " briquettes. But they worked alright and caused no
> > adverse taste in the pork.

> Rancher briquettes are good stuff.

I mentioned the briquettes because the initial smoke when I fired them
up fairly reeked with "coal" smell. I was careful during the cook to add
only a few briquettes at a time to avoid any smoldering.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 26-Aug-2007, Dana Myers > wrote:

>>> I was a little worried about the briquettes I was using, "Original
>>> Charcoal
>>> Co. "Rancher" " briquettes. But they worked alright and caused no
>>> adverse taste in the pork.

>> Rancher briquettes are good stuff.

> I mentioned the briquettes because the initial smoke when I fired them
> up fairly reeked with "coal" smell. I was careful during the cook to add
> only a few briquettes at a time to avoid any smoldering.

I've burned through 4 bags of Rancher briquettes and have yet
to smell any coal. I *smell* a perfumey sort of hardwood
smell, but nothing chemical. It *is* a different smell, though,
than North American lump, probably because of the South American
hardwood they use.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> Dudes,
> I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
>
> Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

If you need or want to finish in the oven, the time and temp are exactly
the same as they would be for your smoker. Other than the smoke in your
smoker, and oven and a smoker are effectively the same with no change to
the target temperature or expected cooking times.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Sonoran Dude wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> If you need or want to finish in the oven, the time and temp are exactly
> the same as they would be for your smoker. Other than the smoke in your
> smoker, and oven and a smoker are effectively the same with no change to
> the target temperature or expected cooking times.

If you have a gas oven, you can effectively put a foil wrapped (and
pricked) packet of smoke chips in the bottom of your oven.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> Dudes,
> I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
>
> Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

Thanks for the feedback folks.... The butts came out just right after
the wind died down and the sun came out about an hour after sunrise. I
was busy then and wasn't able to get back to the group but have learned
some good tips if this happens next time. You guys are great in a
pinch... sorry for the false alarm. One thing I did learn though...
don't ever get into multiple rounds of cheap vodka shots... it's nearly
6 days later and I'm still regretting it.
Adios amigos

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Aug-2007, Sonoran Dude > wrote:

> Sonoran Dude wrote:
> > Dudes,
> > I've never finished a smoke in the oven but have two large shoulders in
> > the WSM. Went in at 6:45AM and need to pull these at 3:00 PM and put in
> > the cooler for a 4:00 feed.
> > Wind was a little snappy this mornin but seems calm now. Thundershowers
> > are forecast all day. Have the cooker under a patio so it will be dry
> > and have shielded most of the cooker from the wind.
> > I'll check temp around 1:00 PM and see where they stand. Can you
> > ballpark what temp and how much time do I need if a finish in the oven
> > is neccessary? The roasts are about 8 - 9 Lb each.
> >
> > Thanks, going back to bed for now...zzz

> Thanks for the feedback folks.... The butts came out just right after
> the wind died down and the sun came out about an hour after sunrise. I
> was busy then and wasn't able to get back to the group but have learned
> some good tips if this happens next time. You guys are great in a
> pinch... sorry for the false alarm. One thing I did learn though...
> don't ever get into multiple rounds of cheap vodka shots... it's nearly
> 6 days later and I'm still regretting it.
> Adios amigos

Sorry that you felt driven to drink, however you cannot claim bragging
rights for a colassal bender unless your fingernails itch and your hair
hurts.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)