Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Simple Brine

I am planning to make a couple of gals of simple brine and in the past when
I had made it, I used all I wanted and what I had left I would throw it
away.

I am now thinking to make some just to cover some small pieces of chicken
and am wondering if I do not use the remaining how long can one store it in
a refrigerator?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Moe Jones" > wrote in message
>I am planning to make a couple of gals of simple brine and in the past when
>I had made it, I used all I wanted and what I had left I would throw it
>away.
>
> I am now thinking to make some just to cover some small pieces of chicken
> and am wondering if I do not use the remaining how long can one store it
> in a refrigerator?
>
> --
> Moe Jones
> HVAC Service Technician
> Energy Equalizers Inc.
> Houston, Texas
> www.EnergyEqualizers.com

I throw unused brine. I think the raw chicken does little, if anything for
the next chicken you're going to brine. I also worry about evil bugs. How
long has it been at room temp?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Aug-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:42:25 -0500, "Moe Jones" >
> wrote:
>
> >I am planning to make a couple of gals of simple brine and in the past
> >when
> >I had made it, I used all I wanted and what I had left I would throw it
> >away.
> >
> >I am now thinking to make some just to cover some small pieces of chicken
> >
> >and am wondering if I do not use the remaining how long can one store it
> >in
> >a refrigerator?

> Assuming, as I do, that 'the remaining' was not part of what covered
> the chicken, the answer is 'it depends'. Look at your ingredients.
> Most simple brine recipes I've seen should keep well-nigh forever. I
> mean, how likely is salt water to spoil??
>
> -denny-

What Denny said. I just finished pouring brine over 10# of chicken wings.
I have about a pint of TFM®'s brine left over. It'll keep in the frig until
hell
freezes over or until it gets used for something else.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2007, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Moe Jones" > wrote in message
> >I am planning to make a couple of gals of simple brine and in the past
> >when
> >I had made it, I used all I wanted and what I had left I would throw it
> >away.
> >
> > I am now thinking to make some just to cover some small pieces of
> > chicken
> > and am wondering if I do not use the remaining how long can one store it
> >
> > in a refrigerator?
> >
> > --
> > Moe Jones
> > HVAC Service Technician
> > Energy Equalizers Inc.
> > Houston, Texas
> > www.EnergyEqualizers.com
> >

> I throw unused brine. I think the raw chicken does little, if anything for
>
> the next chicken you're going to brine. I also worry about evil bugs. How
> long has it been at room temp?
>
> Kent

By definition, "unused" brine has not been in contact with any food
products.
Brine is generally made from inert ingredients that have been at room
temperature for months before being combined to make a brine solution.
I simply can't conceive of how water, sugar, salt and dry spices are likely
to spoil in the refrigerator provided only that the container is capped.

I further can't image what jerk would recover used brine from a bunch of
chicken and conceive of the idea of using it again for something else.
Anybody that needs councelling on that subject should be kept well
away from food products.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thank You All.
I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure if it
wuld last in the frig.
My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2007, "Moe Jones" > wrote:

> Thank You All.
> I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure if it
> wuld last in the frig.
> My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.
>

> --
> Moe Jones

I can't see how that would need any refrigeration at all. On the
other hand, why save it at all. No money or particular effort
involved in making it.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 3:16 pm, "frohe" > wrote:
> Brick wrote:
> > On the other hand, why save it at all. No money or particular effort
> > involved in making it.

> I was wondering when someone was going to get to this simple fact.
>
> -frohe

Awww.... come on. It's so much more entertaining to read someone
berating, ridiculing someone or just making them feel stupid. Where's
the fun in being polite?

>I further can't image what jerk would recover used brine >from a bunch of chicken and conceive of the idea of >using it again for something else.
>Anybody that needs councelling on that subject should >be kept well away from food products

See how it's done? While OP never said he was
RE-USING his brine, do you see how much more fun it is to twist words
a berate someone. I like that fact in the end the mighty judge
announces that doesn't agree with his faulty premise (a second use of
brine was never metioned) he should be kept away from food.

Now that is internet fun, buddy.

Kick some ass!

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Moe Jones" > wrote in message
> Thank You All.
> I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure if it
> wuld last in the frig.
> My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.

What's "K. salt"? You don't mean potassium chloride do you??

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2007, " > wrote:

> On Aug 23, 3:16 pm, "frohe" > wrote:
> > Brick wrote:
> > > On the other hand, why save it at all. No money or particular effort
> > > involved in making it.

> > I was wondering when someone was going to get to this simple fact.
> >
> > -frohe

> Awww.... come on. It's so much more entertaining to read someone
> berating, ridiculing someone or just making them feel stupid. Where's
> the fun in being polite?
>
> >I further can't image what jerk would recover used brine >from a bunch of
> >chicken and conceive of the idea of >using it again for something else.
> >Anybody that needs councelling on that subject should >be kept well away
> >from food products

> See how it's done? While OP never said he was
> RE-USING his brine, do you see how much more fun it is to twist words
> a berate someone. I like that fact in the end the mighty judge
> announces that doesn't agree with his faulty premise (a second use of
> brine was never metioned) he should be kept away from food.
>
> Now that is internet fun, buddy.
>
> Kick some ass!
>
> Robert

You're correct in that the 'OP' didn't mention re-using brine, but I didn't
respond to the original post. I responded to Kent's reply which talked
about the nastiness of re-using brine.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 23-Aug-2007, " > wrote:

>> > I was wondering when someone was going to get to this simple fact.
>> >
>> > -frohe

>> Awww.... come on. It's so much more entertaining to read someone
>> berating, ridiculing someone or just making them feel stupid. Where's
>> the fun in being polite?
>>
>> >I further can't image what jerk would recover used brine >from a bunch
>> >of
>> >chicken and conceive of the idea of >using it again for something else.
>> >Anybody that needs councelling on that subject should >be kept well away
>> >from food products

>> See how it's done? While OP never said he was
>> RE-USING his brine, do you see how much more fun it is to twist words
>> a berate someone. I like that fact in the end the mighty judge
>> announces that doesn't agree with his faulty premise (a second use of
>> brine was never metioned) he should be kept away from food.
>>
>> Now that is internet fun, buddy.
>>
>> Kick some ass!
>>
>> Robert

> You're correct in that the 'OP' didn't mention re-using brine, but I
> didn't
> respond to the original post. I responded to Kent's reply which talked
> about the nastiness of re-using brine.
> --
> Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

Just remember...Kent has mentioned brining in his garage.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Moe Jones" > wrote in message
>> Thank You All.
>> I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure
>> if it wuld last in the frig.
>> My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.
>>

> What's "K. salt"? You don't mean potassium chloride do you??
>

> Kent

Kosher Salt

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Brick" > wrote in message

>>> Awww.... come on. It's so much more entertaining to read someone
>>> berating, ridiculing someone or just making them feel stupid. Where's
>>> the fun in being polite?

>>> See how it's done? While OP never said he was
>>> RE-USING his brine, do you see how much more fun it is to twist words
>>> a berate someone. I like that fact in the end the mighty judge
>>> announces that doesn't agree with his faulty premise (a second use of
>>> brine was never metioned) he should be kept away from food.
>>>
>>> Now that is internet fun, buddy.
>>>
>>> Kick some ass!
>>>
>>> Robert

>> You're correct in that the 'OP' didn't mention re-using brine, but I
>> didn't
>> respond to the original post. I responded to Kent's reply which talked
>> about the nastiness of re-using brine.
>> --
>> Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

> Just remember...Kent has mentioned brining in his garage.
>
> BOB

You're trolling, of course, hoping to catch a fish.
In the 19th central in rural America people brined in their
stables to avoid getting sick. I'm a poor homeless slob, living under
a freeway overpass, not having a place to shit or ****. I have to brine in
my
garage. I don't have a choice.

Kent

If you choose to respond to this you're even stupidier than you're been
perceived to be.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2007, " BOB" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message

> >> Awww.... come on. It's so much more entertaining to read someone
> >> berating, ridiculing someone or just making them feel stupid. Where's
> >> the fun in being polite?

> >> See how it's done? While OP never said he was
> >> RE-USING his brine, do you see how much more fun it is to twist words
> >> a berate someone. I like that fact in the end the mighty judge
> >> announces that doesn't agree with his faulty premise (a second use of
> >> brine was never metioned) he should be kept away from food.
> >>
> >> Now that is internet fun, buddy.
> >>
> >> Kick some ass!
> >>
> >> Robert

> > You're correct in that the 'OP' didn't mention re-using brine, but I
> > didn't
> > respond to the original post. I responded to Kent's reply which talked
> > about the nastiness of re-using brine.
> > --
> > Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

> Just remember...Kent has mentioned brining in his garage.
>
> BOB

I try to not get caught up in these type of discussions BOB, but sometimes
I just can't help myself. I know you have to read between the lines to see
the
humor, but I think it's pretty funny. And I mean no disrespect to the
original
poster. Actually, I think he got his question answered with accurate
information.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 9:45 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message

> Kent
>
> If you choose to respond to this you're even stupidier than you're been
> perceived to be.

Drinking and posting don't go together Kent, you should know that by
now.

Should have known Kent would attracted to a thread with a subject line
of "Simple" in it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 23-Aug-2007, "Moe Jones" > wrote:
>
>> Thank You All.
>> I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure
>> if it wuld last in the frig.
>> My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.
>>

>> --
>> Moe Jones

> I can't see how that would need any refrigeration at all. On the
> other hand, why save it at all. No money or particular effort
> involved in making it.

It just makes it easier for me. I recently become a amputee and I am
learning how to handle life in a wheelchair and am just starting to use a
prosthesis so I figure since I am B-B-Qing allot of chicken, I can brine
some and use it again when needed.

It is such a pain to go down to my local grocery store when I just need to
pick up a item when needed.

When this happens to one, one tries to find short cuts.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 23-Aug-2007, " BOB" > wrote:
>

>> Just remember...Kent has mentioned brining in his garage.
>>
>> BOB

> I try to not get caught up in these type of discussions BOB, but sometimes
> I just can't help myself.

;-) Know what you mean.

> I know you have to read between the lines to see
> the
> humor, but I think it's pretty funny. And I mean no disrespect to the
> original
> poster. Actually, I think he got his question answered with accurate
> information.
>
> Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

I agree with you Brick. You do such a good job with most of your
explanations and examples that usually I can't think of anything else to
add.

BOB
getting the Stump's GF 222 CM fired up for a practice cook this weekend

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Moe Jones" > wrote in message ...
> Brick wrote:
> > On 23-Aug-2007, "Moe Jones" > wrote:
> >
> >> Thank You All.
> >> I never had stored brine, that had never been used and was not sure
> >> if it wuld last in the frig.
> >> My simple brine is just water, K. salt and brown sugar.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Moe Jones

> > I can't see how that would need any refrigeration at all. On the
> > other hand, why save it at all. No money or particular effort
> > involved in making it.

> It just makes it easier for me. I recently become a amputee and I am
> learning how to handle life in a wheelchair and am just starting to use a
> prosthesis so I figure since I am B-B-Qing allot of chicken, I can brine
> some and use it again when needed.
>
> It is such a pain to go down to my local grocery store when I just need to
> pick up a item when needed.
>
> When this happens to one, one tries to find short cuts.

Sorry to hear about the leg Moe, but even plain water can absorb flavors and stuff not wanted over time. For a
short period I'd say OK, too long and it will have more in it than K. salt and brown sugar. IMHO

Joseph

> --
> Moe Jones
> HVAC Service Technician
> Energy Equalizers Inc.
> Houston, Texas
> www.EnergyEqualizers.com

To brine or not to brine Oregonian Haruspex General Cooking 5 02-05-2014 05:41 AM
do you *always* brine? Reg Barbecue 18 07-10-2005 02:14 PM
Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ... fatsam Barbecue 10 17-09-2004 04:51 PM