Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket Plan (suggestions Welcome)

Well, after having great success with chicken, ribs, and pork roast I
decided I'm going to try a brisket. When to sams, and found a nice
10.25 pounder.

I have an LP GOSM from Walmart.. just for reference.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm having friends over to eat
it Friday, probably eating around 6-6:30. I thought about just letting
it go all night, waking once or twice to check the temp/wood, and then
wrapping it in saran, towels, and putting it in a cooler until it's
ready. But it would be even more fun to have it come off when we are
ready to eat! (I know, it's not done until it's done... )

My plan was this...

1. Thursday night at about 10pm, start trimming extra fat off and
putting on dry rub (I planned on using sea salt, cracked pepper, onion
powder and paprika).

2. Get it on the GOSM by 11pm. At the lowest temp (usually around 240,
but with it being colder at night it will probably hover more around
200-220).

3. Wake up onc or twice to check temps/smoke/water

4. With an estimate of 1.5 hours per pound it should be done pretty
close to 2-3pm the next day (but I will go by done-ness.. not time) If
it is done before supper, I'll do the wrap and put in cooler thing.

Also, what wood to use? I'm planning on using Apple.. maybe a mix of
apple and mesquite.

Thanks to hints/tips etc to make it successful and ready to eat Friday
for supper!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Experienced Member

Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
> Well, after having great success with chicken, ribs, and pork roast I
> decided I'm going to try a brisket. When to sams, and found a nice 10.25
> pounder.
>
> I have an LP GOSM from Walmart.. just for reference.
>
> I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm having friends over to eat it
> Friday, probably eating around 6-6:30. I thought about just letting it go
> all night, waking once or twice to check the temp/wood, and then wrapping
> it in saran, towels, and putting it in a cooler until it's ready. But it
> would be even more fun to have it come off when we are ready to eat! (I
> know, it's not done until it's done... )
>
> My plan was this...
>
> 1. Thursday night at about 10pm, start trimming extra fat off and putting
> on dry rub (I planned on using sea salt, cracked pepper, onion powder and
> paprika).
>
> 2. Get it on the GOSM by 11pm. At the lowest temp (usually around 240,
> but with it being colder at night it will probably hover more around
> 200-220).
>
> 3. Wake up onc or twice to check temps/smoke/water
>
> 4. With an estimate of 1.5 hours per pound it should be done pretty close
> to 2-3pm the next day (but I will go by done-ness.. not time) If it is
> done before supper, I'll do the wrap and put in cooler thing.
>
> Also, what wood to use? I'm planning on using Apple.. maybe a mix of
> apple and mesquite.
>
> Thanks to hints/tips etc to make it successful and ready to eat Friday for
> supper!

Sounds very good to me; I'd definitely add some garlic to your spices, and
apple and mesquite sounds good. You might find that it may be done before
you expect though. Wrapping and keeping it warm should keep it moist. Good
Luck.

Tonia

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message

> 1. Thursday night at about 10pm, start trimming extra fat off and putting
> on dry rub (I planned on using sea salt, cracked pepper, onion powder and
> paprika).
>
> 2. Get it on the GOSM by 11pm. At the lowest temp (usually around 240,
> but with it being colder at night it will probably hover more around
> 200-220).
>
> 3. Wake up onc or twice to check temps/smoke/water
>
> 4. With an estimate of 1.5 hours per pound it should be done pretty close
> to 2-3pm the next day (but I will go by done-ness.. not time) If it is
> done before supper, I'll do the wrap and put in cooler thing.
>
> Also, what wood to use? I'm planning on using Apple.. maybe a mix of
> apple and mesquite.
>
> Thanks to hints/tips etc to make it successful and ready to eat Friday for
> supper!

From my experience, it will be done sooner so be sure to check from about 8
AM. It will keep for a very long time in the cooler. You can always toss
it back on for 30 minutes before the guests arrive.

Apple is good. I usually use a mix of whatever wood happens to be in the
bucket.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Aug-2007, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
> >
> > 1. Thursday night at about 10pm, start trimming extra fat off and
> > putting
> > on dry rub (I planned on using sea salt, cracked pepper, onion powder
> > and
> > paprika).
> >
> > 2. Get it on the GOSM by 11pm. At the lowest temp (usually around 240,
> >
> > but with it being colder at night it will probably hover more around
> > 200-220).
> >
> > 3. Wake up onc or twice to check temps/smoke/water
> >
> > 4. With an estimate of 1.5 hours per pound it should be done pretty
> > close
> > to 2-3pm the next day (but I will go by done-ness.. not time) If it is
> > done before supper, I'll do the wrap and put in cooler thing.
> >
> > Also, what wood to use? I'm planning on using Apple.. maybe a mix of
> > apple and mesquite.
> >
> > Thanks to hints/tips etc to make it successful and ready to eat Friday
> > for
> > supper!

> From my experience, it will be done sooner so be sure to check from about
> 8
> AM. It will keep for a very long time in the cooler. You can always toss
>
> it back on for 30 minutes before the guests arrive.
>
> Apple is good. I usually use a mix of whatever wood happens to be in the
> bucket.

I cooked a brisket (10.6#), a butt(8.3#) and a picnic(8.6#) on Aug 10th.
Temps
vary considerably in my offset, but figure the brisket cooked in a 270°F
zone
for the duration. It took 7 hours to reach 195°F internal. I wrapped it
along with
the pork and kept it in the cooler (sans ice) overnight. The meat was still
hot
the next morning, but not hot enough to serve outside. I reheated all of the
meat,
still wrapped in foil, in a portable electric roaster late the next morning
for
serving around 1pm. It probably wouldn't have won at the American Royal,
but it went over well in my yard with some fairly knowledgable judges.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I recommend the following which I routinely do now with my briskets:

1. Get a meat thermometer. Take off when the internal temp. is in the
195 range as previously suggested. Do not rush barbecue, it is done
when it is done.

2. Sear or brown the fat side of the brisket directly over coals for
30 minutes to an hour rather than trim it off before you put it in
your smoker. You can do any trimming immediately prior to serving.

What you do not want is an underdone, bloody, tough, overcooked, dried
out, or over-smoked brisket. Keep practicing until you get it exactly
like you want!

Good luck,

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bradley V. Stone wrote:
> Well, after having great success with chicken, ribs, and pork roast I
> decided I'm going to try a brisket. When to sams, and found a nice
> 10.25 pounder.
>
> I have an LP GOSM from Walmart.. just for reference.
>
> I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm having friends over to eat it
> Friday, probably eating around 6-6:30. I thought about just letting it
> go all night, waking once or twice to check the temp/wood, and then
> wrapping it in saran, towels, and putting it in a cooler until it's
> ready. But it would be even more fun to have it come off when we are
> ready to eat! (I know, it's not done until it's done... )
>
> My plan was this...
>
> 1. Thursday night at about 10pm, start trimming extra fat off and
> putting on dry rub (I planned on using sea salt, cracked pepper, onion
> powder and paprika).
>
> 2. Get it on the GOSM by 11pm. At the lowest temp (usually around 240,
> but with it being colder at night it will probably hover more around
> 200-220).
>
> 3. Wake up onc or twice to check temps/smoke/water
>
> 4. With an estimate of 1.5 hours per pound it should be done pretty
> close to 2-3pm the next day (but I will go by done-ness.. not time) If
> it is done before supper, I'll do the wrap and put in cooler thing.
>
> Also, what wood to use? I'm planning on using Apple.. maybe a mix of
> apple and mesquite.
>
> Thanks to hints/tips etc to make it successful and ready to eat Friday
> for supper!

If I woke up in your shoes... (I'd buy better shoes)
But really. If my planned serving time was 6pm, I think I would put it
on about 6am, and check it throughout the day. I have never had a
brisket go over 12 hours, and with your unit, if you fall behind, you
can easily jack the temps up to compensate.

Also, if you run out of gas, the store is still open.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Shawn Martin wrote:

> If I woke up in your shoes... (I'd buy better shoes)
> But really. If my planned serving time was 6pm, I think I would put
> it on about 6am, and check it throughout the day. I have never had a
> brisket go over 12 hours, and with your unit, if you fall behind, you
> can easily jack the temps up to compensate.
>
> Also, if you run out of gas, the store is still open.

Another datapoint:
My first and only brisket to date (thanks for the ABF photo Brick, mine
looked very similar) was a 15lb with the point and flat cut away from each
other for maximizing room (had a bunch of pork shoulders going too), and the
entire thing went on at 0630 and was done by 1430, cooking @ 250(ish)
degrees and removed at 195(ish).

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Aug-2007, "vex" > wrote:

> > Bradley V. Stone wrote:
> >> Well, after having great success with chicken, ribs, and pork roast I
> >> decided I'm going to try a brisket. When to sams, and found a nice
> >> 10.25 pounder.

> Shawn Martin wrote:
>
> > If I woke up in your shoes... (I'd buy better shoes)
> > But really. If my planned serving time was 6pm, I think I would put
> > it on about 6am, and check it throughout the day. I have never had a
> > brisket go over 12 hours, and with your unit, if you fall behind, you
> > can easily jack the temps up to compensate.
> >
> > Also, if you run out of gas, the store is still open.

> Another datapoint:
> My first and only brisket to date (thanks for the ABF photo Brick, mine
> looked very similar) was a 15lb with the point and flat cut away from each
>
> other for maximizing room (had a bunch of pork shoulders going too), and
> the
> entire thing went on at 0630 and was done by 1430, cooking @ 250(ish)
> degrees and removed at 195(ish).
>

> --Brett

You're welcome. And, yup, that's pretty much the way it goes around here.
Unlike a couple of years ago when I had no idea at the outset if I would
eat something or feed the critters the mess. I'm going to cook a couple
of butts tomorrow for a saturday celebration and a bunch of chicken wings
on saturday morning. I expect no problems. The butts will be smoked and
rested overnight, then reheated and pulled late saturday morning. I'll
grill
the wings practically at the last minute to have them hot at serving time.
They are getting two days of TFM®'s brine as I write this. They will be
finished with 'Struttin' Sauce' from S&S.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well, I started it off at about 11pm last night. Went to bed after a
wood swap and water fill.

Woke up at 3am to check... been at 240 all night. Woohoo! Filled
water, added wood.

Woke up at 7am. Filled water, added wood, and checked the temp. Right
now (it's about 8:30 now) it's at the 160f "stall point" which I
expected. So that's cool.

I set my alarm for 185f, but plan to take it off at around 195 and
wrapping it in foil and sticking it in a cooler.

I expect it to take about 16 hours... who knows though. IT's done when
it's done.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bradley V. Stone wrote:
> Well, I started it off at about 11pm last night. Went to bed after a
> wood swap and water fill.
>
> Woke up at 3am to check... been at 240 all night. Woohoo! Filled
> water, added wood.
>
> Woke up at 7am. Filled water, added wood, and checked the temp. Right now
> (it's about 8:30 now) it's at the 160f "stall point" which
> I expected. So that's cool.
>
> I set my alarm for 185f, but plan to take it off at around 195 and
> wrapping it in foil and sticking it in a cooler.
>
> I expect it to take about 16 hours... who knows though. IT's done
> when it's done.

What I have done in the past has worked for me.

I smoke my brisket for roughly four hours, to get a good smoke ring, then I
wrap it up in heavy alum. foil and finish it in the gas oven.

This way I can go to bed and get a full night of sleep.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well, got it all done.. it turned out stupendous!

Total time on the GOSM was about 15 hours. Waited will 190 internal and
did the fork test... perfect. Wrapped in foil and stuck in a cooler
wrapped in towels, stuffed with a pillow for 3 hours.

Checked temp was still 155 internal... plopped it on the grill where I
was cookingn potatoes and beans for 30 minutes and it got back up to
170. Served and it was delicious! The guests loved it.. lots of left
overs!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
> Well, got it all done.. it turned out stupendous!
>
> Total time on the GOSM was about 15 hours. Waited will 190 internal and
> did the fork test... perfect. Wrapped in foil and stuck in a cooler
> wrapped in towels, stuffed with a pillow for 3 hours.
>
> Checked temp was still 155 internal... plopped it on the grill where I was
> cookingn potatoes and beans for 30 minutes and it got back up to 170.
> Served and it was delicious! The guests loved it.. lots of left overs!

Now that you are confident, make two or three at a time and freeze parts. I
enjoy a brisket sandwich when there is snow and very cold temperatures and
I'm comfy in the house. Last time I did two briskets and one pastrami in my
GOSM