Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Default Tomorrow's cook and some questions.

Welp, tomorrow I embark on my most ambitious 'Q adventure to date. Though it
may pale in comparison with the pros, the circuit competitors, and the folks
that have just plain been "doin' it for years", it's an adventure to me.
I've managed to do two 8lb pork shoulders at once (a couple of times now),
along with a bunch of ribs, and a few other things such as smaller cuts of
shoulder and a bunch of ribs, and all of those have turned out excellent due
to the great advice I've received here.
Today, I found out the local Carneciera that was recommended by someone on
A.F.B that lives nearby, has packer cut brisket. So, I bought a 15lb brisket
for $45. $3/lb a good deal? I dunno, but it was cheaper than the local Fred
Meyer, that was trying to pass off a flat as a complete brisket. I also went
to the local Cost Cutter and checked out their pork. They had the usual
bone-in pork "butt", and today they had something that I've read about but
haven't really paid much attention to until now. Pork Picnic Shoulder.

My questions:

1. Can someone refresh me on the difference between a butt and a picnic?
2. What temp should I pull my brisket off? 180(ish)?
3. Can I cut the brisket in half to make it a better fit in my smoker and
still have decent results?

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message

> Today, I found out the local Carneciera that was recommended by someone on
> A.F.B that lives nearby, has packer cut brisket. So, I bought a 15lb
> brisket for $45. $3/lb a good deal?

I bought three briskets and paid $1.78 a pound. Did you have an orgasm when
they got done?.

I dunno, but it was cheaper than the local Fred
> Meyer, that was trying to pass off a flat as a complete brisket. I also
> went to the local Cost Cutter and checked out their pork. They had the
> usual bone-in pork "butt", and today they had something that I've read
> about but haven't really paid much attention to until now. Pork Picnic
> Shoulder.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Can someone refresh me on the difference between a butt and a picnic?

Opposite halves of the shoulder. Once half is the butt, the other the
picnic.

> 2. What temp should I pull my brisket off? 180(ish)?

I like 185 to 190

> 3. Can I cut the brisket in half to make it a better fit in my smoker and
> still have decent results?

Yes, I do that to cure briskets to make pastrami and they cook up as good as
the whole ones. The thinner half will probably be done earlier so keep an
eye on them.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:55:16 GMT, vex wrote:
>
>> packer cut brisket. So, I bought a 15lb brisket
>> for $45. $3/lb a good deal? I dunno.

> Depends where you live. If that's the cheapest you can get it,
> then it's a good deal.
>
> The one I bought Wednesday night was $.99/lb. Sorry, but this is
> Texas. Regular, everyday price is $1.38/lb.

Zoikes!

I guess I'll be happy that I pay $1 for 10 ears of corn!

(An hour north of Seattle)

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> It occurs to me that it might be worth checking Silvana Meats (west of
> Arlington, so 30-40 minutes S-SW of you) for brisket. Also ask at the
> Cost Cutter if they can get you packer cuts. The one place in the
> Everett-Marysville area where I've seen packer cuts is the Marysville
> Super Wal-Mart. I don't remember the price.

I've been meaning to check them out, it's been a while since I've been in
there. I've just been trying to find places that are closer to avoid driving
so far, but I'm thinking if I can buy bulk meat from them at a good price,
it will be cheaper in the long run to make a trip there once in a while and
load a freezer full of meat.

> As Edwin said--they are the two parts of the shoulder. Boston Butt is
> a/k/a 'shoulder roast'. BTW, most of the "country style ribs" you'll
> find are cut from the butt. Main difference between the butt and the
> picnic is that the picnic has a greater percentage of bone. They make
> equally good pulled pork.

So far, so good. Everything went on at 0630 and I checked and rotated stuff
around at 10:30. A couple of last minute add-ons for my neighbor, and the
entire smoker is *packed*. After 4 hours of shrinkage, there's more room
now. :-)
The two small butts my neighbor brought over will probably be done by 12:30
or so.

> I can't address those, never having cooked brisket. I *gotta* do that
> before the good weather goes. Had some really really good brisket at
> the Renaissance Faire last weekend. (down by Gig Harbor--this weekend
> is the last of the three weekends of Faire)

If you're nearby on Sunday, shoot me an email and we can sample the brisket
that's in today. :-)

--Brett