Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Things that are good

Bang, bang on the front door. Mrs. Nonny opens it and my
neighbor's 16 year old son is standing there asking if he can
talk to "Nonny." The conversation was about how to remove an
oil filter from his car and if he could borrow the proper
tools for an oil change. This is a good kid- a really good
kid- and he even has the combination to my garage in case he
needs tools, anyway.

We got the right things for him and I told him how to install
the new filter, not overtighten it and reminded him of what to
do with my tools when he was done. (always put on bench, and
never try to put back unless you're 100% sure of where they
came from).

After this, he casually said that he'd smelled some good smoke
coming from the yard all weekend and had almost come over. I
told him about the family coming in for the 40 year
anniversary, etc. He asked what I'd cooked and I told him
about the butt, ribs and wings. He repeated that it sure
smelled good and how much he loved my ribs for breakfast. He
also "casually mentioned" that his older brother did also,
and how much they looked forward to me bringing over some
occasionally.

I thanked him and said how good it was that he and his brother
liked good barbecue. His next question was whether we had any
leftovers. . . (see where this is going?)

It ended with me filling a paper plate with about a pound of
pulled pork, a dozen ribs and about 4-5 leftover wings. The
kid almost danced as he left the house with his treasure, and
promised that he'd split with his brother. Two doors down is
another teenager. He and my next door neighbor's sons are
good friends and trust me- he's also getting his share of the
leftovers.

For me, it's very rewarding to see youngsters enjoy good home
cooked food. I guess we're lucky in that we don't have bad
kids in the neighborhood. Instead, the kids are the kind who
you can holler at and they'll come over to help carry
something heavy into the house, will watch your house when
you're gone and don't do vandalism. If they like my barbecue,
they get it.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> Bang, bang on the front door. Mrs. Nonny opens it and my neighbor's 16
> year old son is standing there asking if he can talk to "Nonny." The
> conversation was about how to remove an oil filter from his car and if
> he could borrow the proper tools for an oil change. This is a good kid-
> a really good kid- and he even has the combination to my garage in case
> he needs tools, anyway.
>
> We got the right things for him and I told him how to install the new
> filter, not overtighten it and reminded him of what to do with my tools
> when he was done. (always put on bench, and never try to put back unless
> you're 100% sure of where they came from).
>
> After this, he casually said that he'd smelled some good smoke coming
> from the yard all weekend and had almost come over. I told him about
> the family coming in for the 40 year anniversary, etc. He asked what
> I'd cooked and I told him about the butt, ribs and wings. He repeated
> that it sure smelled good and how much he loved my ribs for breakfast.
> He also "casually mentioned" that his older brother did also, and how
> much they looked forward to me bringing over some occasionally.
>
> I thanked him and said how good it was that he and his brother liked
> good barbecue. His next question was whether we had any leftovers. . .
> (see where this is going?)
>
> It ended with me filling a paper plate with about a pound of pulled
> pork, a dozen ribs and about 4-5 leftover wings. The kid almost danced
> as he left the house with his treasure, and promised that he'd split
> with his brother. Two doors down is another teenager. He and my next
> door neighbor's sons are good friends and trust me- he's also getting
> his share of the leftovers.
>
> For me, it's very rewarding to see youngsters enjoy good home cooked
> food. I guess we're lucky in that we don't have bad kids in the
> neighborhood. Instead, the kids are the kind who you can holler at and
> they'll come over to help carry something heavy into the house, will
> watch your house when you're gone and don't do vandalism. If they like
> my barbecue, they get it.
>
> Nonny

Excellent story there. I too have a couple of great kids moved in
across the street. They are city kids, and are fascinated
in all things country.

(14 year old girl asked to be notified when our ginny foaled, so she
could watch the birth.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin > wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
> > [Excellent story snipped]

> Excellent story there. I too have a couple of great kids moved in
> across the street. They are city kids, and are fascinated
> in all things country.
>
> (14 year old girl asked to be notified when our ginny foaled, so she
> could watch the birth.)

Watch, Hell. Put her to work!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Aug-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Bang, bang on the front door.

<snip>

> For me, it's very rewarding to see youngsters enjoy good home
> cooked food. I guess we're lucky in that we don't have bad
> kids in the neighborhood. Instead, the kids are the kind who
> you can holler at and they'll come over to help carry
> something heavy into the house, will watch your house when
> you're gone and don't do vandalism. If they like my barbecue,
> they get it.
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

You catch a lot more flies with honey then with vinegar, eh? I have a
bunch of pre-teens next door. There's a bunch of them and they have
energy to burn, but they're not into vandalizim either. They do like
to chase the ducks though.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Shawn Martin > wrote:
>> Nonnymus wrote:
>>> [Excellent story snipped]

>> Excellent story there. I too have a couple of great kids moved in
>> across the street. They are city kids, and are fascinated
>> in all things country.
>>
>> (14 year old girl asked to be notified when our ginny foaled, so she
>> could watch the birth.)

> Watch, Hell. Put her to work!

We did! Had her fetching water and hay. She didn't complain about
getting dirty, or the heat, or the bugs. (If I was 16, I'd start
training her)

Her brother was the same; "what can I do?"

I'm doubly blessed. My wife is country, as only a former city-slicker
can be. (When she hit the dirt here, it was like she was trying to
out-country me.)

We had been married about 3 months, and were at Home Depot. Walking
down the lawn and garden aisle, she pointed, and exclaimed,

"If we had a riding mower, I could cut the lawn!"

I responded, as only a man truly in love would: "Baby, what color do
you want?"

Shawn (Who hasn't mowed the lawn in 10 years)-

and Debbie, who is on her third mower. (Green this time; the first one
was red.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:

> We had been married about 3 months, and were at Home Depot. Walking
> down the lawn and garden aisle, she pointed, and exclaimed,
>
> "If we had a riding mower, I could cut the lawn!"
>
> I responded, as only a man truly in love would: "Baby, what color do
> you want?"
>
> Shawn (Who hasn't mowed the lawn in 10 years)-
>
> and Debbie, who is on her third mower. (Green this time; the first one
> was red.)

She sounds like a keeper, Shawn. Mrs. Nonny, my bride of 40
years, and I grew up from the days of diapers in a little
farming community. She was always the kind of wife who would
jump on the John Deere 650, slap it in 4wd and go out and mow
if I was on a trip. I'd never admit it in public, but she
actually might have even been a bit better at it than me, but
I'd never talk about it. <grin> I don't know about you, but
my idea of a good wife is one who's intelligent and capable
of doing anything necessary, and not just some piece of arm candy.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You donÂ’t stand any taller by

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Shawn Martin > wrote:
> >> Excellent story there. I too have a couple of great kids moved in
> >> across the street. They are city kids, and are fascinated
> >> in all things country.
> >>
> >> (14 year old girl asked to be notified when our ginny foaled, so she
> >> could watch the birth.)

> > Watch, Hell. Put her to work!
> >

> We did! Had her fetching water and hay. She didn't complain about
> getting dirty, or the heat, or the bugs. (If I was 16, I'd start
> training her)
>
> Her brother was the same; "what can I do?"
>
> I'm doubly blessed. My wife is country, as only a former city-slicker
> can be. (When she hit the dirt here, it was like she was trying to
> out-country me.)
>
> We had been married about 3 months, and were at Home Depot. Walking
> down the lawn and garden aisle, she pointed, and exclaimed,
>
> "If we had a riding mower, I could cut the lawn!"
>
> I responded, as only a man truly in love would: "Baby, what color do
> you want?"
>
> Shawn (Who hasn't mowed the lawn in 10 years)-
>
> and Debbie, who is on her third mower. (Green this time; the first one
> was red.)

Wonderful, Shawn. I take it your Jenny foaled well. Sounds like you've
bonded well with those kids. Great!

You have a _lawn_? I thought you were country in the Georgia woods? ;-D

~Semper Fi~