FoodBanter.com

-   -   smokin a whole pig (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/131150-smokin-whole-pig.html)

[email protected] 08-08-2007 03:51 AM

smokin a whole pig

Hello, i have just bought a bigger smoker, i am going to try smoking a
whole pig, about 150lbs. any tips on how long to cook and temp it
should be cooked at?

Bradley V. Stone 08-08-2007 01:33 PM

smokin a whole pig

wrote:
> Hello, i have just bought a bigger smoker, i am going to try smoking a
> whole pig, about 150lbs. any tips on how long to cook and temp it
> should be cooked at?

Wow.. a whole pig? I'd say 250 for about a week. :)

I've seen how they do it for Luauas (sp) on tv... dig a huge hole in the
sand, start a fire it in, when it's cinders wrap the pig in palm/banana
leaves and drop the pig in, and fill in the hole with sand. Pig is
falling apart and done in 24 hours.

[email protected] 09-08-2007 07:48 PM

smokin a whole pig

wrote:
> Hello, i have just bought a bigger smoker, i am going to try smoking a
> whole pig, about 150lbs. any tips on how long to cook and temp it
> should be cooked at?

Well, this isn't exactly pertinent to your request (since they built
their own pit- but there's some info you might use), but it's just such
a fun read that I always like to revisit it when the subject comes up-

http://tcomegys.tripod.com/articles/hawgs.html

[email protected] 10-08-2007 07:11 AM

smokin a whole pig

On Aug 9, 2:48 pm, wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello, i have just bought a bigger smoker, i am going to try smoking a
> > whole pig, about 150lbs. any tips on how long to cook and temp it
> > should be cooked at?

> Well, this isn't exactly pertinent to your request (since they built
> their own pit- but there's some info you might use), but it's just such
> a fun read that I always like to revisit it when the subject comes up-
>
> http://tcomegys.tripod.com/articles/hawgs.html

Thanks for the web site, I like the piece on how to cook a hawg in
Missippi. I have a large drum gas smoker we are going to smoke 150 lb
pig (never tried one this big) to be ready to eat at 6pm saturday. I
am trying to figure out what time i should start cooking. i found a
site called askthemeatman.com it has alot of info, it suggest around 9
hours, but some of the other things i have read say good bit more
time. I guess this piggy is going to be a learning experience.