Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pizza Stone on the Grill

Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.

I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was the
second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked the
pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops of
liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked. I'm
pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher, and the
top suddenly became 100F or so.

If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how you
do it, and what kind of stone do you use?

TIA

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:34:13 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> without
>> cracking up.

> Big Green Egg sells a pizza/baking stone:
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm
>
> -sw

What's been your experience using it?

TIA

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:34:13 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
>> cracking up.

> Big Green Egg sells a pizza/baking stone:
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm
>
> -sw

It works very well, it's made of the same ceramic material used to make
the Egg and thicker than most stones you'll come across.
Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..
> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>
> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was the
> second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked the
> pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops of
> liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked.
> I'm pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher,
> and the top suddenly became 100F or so.
>
> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
> you do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>
> TIA
>
> Kent

Did you read my response to your same question in rec.food.equipment?
I'm conserving energy, and won't type it again if you'll just ignore it.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?

the stones don't really 'absorb' the moisture. a 500°+ object just isn't
going to pull moisture into it.

joe
petersburg (w/ a big mofo fibrament rectangle in the oven) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
>> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>>
>> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
>> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was
>> the second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I
>> cracked the pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F;
>> several drops of liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off
>> and it cracked. I'm pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was
>> 600F or higher, and the top suddenly became 100F or so.
>>
>> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>> you do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Did you read my response to your same question in rec.food.equipment?
> I'm conserving energy, and won't type it again if you'll just ignore it.
>
> BOB

You didn't respond, as far as I can tell.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
>> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?

> the stones don't really 'absorb' the moisture. a 500°+ object just isn't
> going to pull moisture into it.
>
> joe
> petersburg (w/ a big mofo fibrament rectangle in the oven) alaska

I don't agree with that, and I don't think stone oven pizza makers do
either. The pizza hits the 600F +/- stone, with about a 65-70% water to
flour ratio, by weight. The moisture on the bottom of the pizza round goes
into the stone, and the pizza becomes crisp on the bottom. The stone doesn't
pull moisture. The moisture equilibrates between the bottom of the crust and
the stone. On any other metallic cooking surface, the moisture all stays in
the crust. If you don't use a stone, you'll have a soggy crust.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
>> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>>
>> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
>> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was
>> the second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I
>> cracked the pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F;
>> several drops of liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off
>> and it cracked. I'm pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was
>> 600F or higher, and the top suddenly became 100F or so.
>>
>> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>> you do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Did you read my response to your same question in rec.food.equipment?
> I'm conserving energy, and won't type it again if you'll just ignore it.
>
> BOB

This is what you said:

"Big Green Egg makes several sizes.
Or you could buy a frbrament stone
http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
BOB"

Yes BGE sells stones. I don't think you can make a stone.
I suspect BGE stones crack just like mine did when subjected to
rapid temperature changes.
Fibrament is a fake stone that requires a metal pan underneath it to shield
it from a live flame.

Again, you didn't say anything.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:34:13 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
>cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
>of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>

>If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how you
>do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>
>TIA
>
>Kent

Actually, I went to a company that imports and sells slate. Got a
piece about a half inch thick (natural -- without any glaze). Then I
got a metal baking sheet about the same size (slightly larger). I put
the slate on the sheet, then put both on the cold grill. Start the
grill and crank it right up.

Research I did at the time ('bout three years ago) suggested that the
"stone" had to heat up with the "oven" and could not take direct
flame. My approach addressed these two points and I've used it
successfully on a number of occasions.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, kh6444
@comcast.net says...
> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
> cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
> of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>
> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was the
> second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked the
> pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops of
> liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked. I'm
> pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher, and the
> top suddenly became 100F or so.
>
> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how you
> do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>
> TIA
>
> Kent

You might want to Google on "ZaGrill". No stone involved. These work
well, but are made out of mild steel and are very rust-prone if you
don't keep everything completely dry. If you're handy with tools, it
wouldn't be hard to make something similar yourself out of stainless
and/or heavy aluminum pans available at restaurant supply places, and in
larger sizes, if needed.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 6, 11:44 am, yetanotherBob > wrote:
> In article >, kh6444
> @comcast.net says...
>

> > Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
> > cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
> > of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
> > Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.

> > I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
> > seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was the
> > second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked the
> > pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops of
> > liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked. I'm
> > pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher, and the
> > top suddenly became 100F or so.

> > If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how you
> > do it, and what kind of stone do you use?

> > TIA

> > Kent

> You might want to Google on "ZaGrill". No stone involved. These work
> well, but are made out of mild steel and are very rust-prone if you
> don't keep everything completely dry. If you're handy with tools, it
> wouldn't be hard to make something similar yourself out of stainless
> and/or heavy aluminum pans available at restaurant supply places, and in
> larger sizes, if needed.
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

Kent, why bother with a stone? I plop the dough on the grates, with
beautiful browned crispy results.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:34:13 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>>without
>>cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
>>of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>>Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>>

>>If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>>you
>>do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Kent
>>

> Actually, I went to a company that imports and sells slate. Got a
> piece about a half inch thick (natural -- without any glaze). Then I
> got a metal baking sheet about the same size (slightly larger). I put
> the slate on the sheet, then put both on the cold grill. Start the
> grill and crank it right up.
>
> Research I did at the time ('bout three years ago) suggested that the
> "stone" had to heat up with the "oven" and could not take direct
> flame. My approach addressed these two points and I've used it
> successfully on a number of occasions.

You know I gues that may well be it. The temp. at the center of a propane
flame is probably in the 1500F range.
Look at this interesting site: http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html
That probably cracks a stone grill. It must be the flame, rather than the
grate below. I suspect charcoal would be less likely as the high temp. heat
is farther away from the bottom of the stone.
I was looking at the Fibrament site last night as possible way to solve
this. They sell their "stones" for grills with a metal protector underneath.
I'm off to Walmart for a large cheap baking sheet.

Thanks for your post.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>>> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
>>> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>>> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>>>
>>> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
>>> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was
>>> the second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I
>>> cracked the pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F;
>>> several drops of liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off
>>> and it cracked. I'm pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was
>>> 600F or higher, and the top suddenly became 100F or so.
>>>
>>> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>>> you do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Kent
>>>

>> Did you read my response to your same question in rec.food.equipment?
>> I'm conserving energy, and won't type it again if you'll just ignore it.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> This is what you said:
>
> "Big Green Egg makes several sizes.
> Or you could buy a frbrament stone
> http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
> BOB"
>
> Yes BGE sells stones. I don't think you can make a stone.
> I suspect BGE stones crack just like mine did when subjected to
> rapid temperature changes.
> Fibrament is a fake stone that requires a metal pan underneath it to
> shield it from a live flame.
>
> Again, you didn't say anything.
>
> Kent

I'm typing real slow so that you might comprehend. Read slowly.

BGE = Big Green Egg. It's a ceramic grill/smoker. It is made for high
temperature grilling. They also make pizza stones. The pizza stones are
made from the same material as the Big Green Egg. They can take high
temperatures.

Fibrament is *NOT* a "fake" stone. Synthetic, probably, but not fake. It
is made for use over a fire.

Sorry you have a comprehension problem

BOB
have you been brining in your garage again, causing your brain to lose more
cells?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

BOB wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> " BOB" > wrote in message
>>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Did you read my response to your same question in rec.food.equipment?
>>> I'm conserving energy, and won't type it again if you'll just ignore it.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> This is what you said:
>>
>> "Big Green Egg makes several sizes.
>> Or you could buy a frbrament stone
>> http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
>> BOB"
>>
>> Yes BGE sells stones. I don't think you can make a stone.
>> I suspect BGE stones crack just like mine did when subjected to
>> rapid temperature changes.
>> Fibrament is a fake stone that requires a metal pan underneath it to
>> shield it from a live flame.
>>
>> Again, you didn't say anything.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> I'm typing real slow so that you might comprehend. Read slowly.
>
> BGE = Big Green Egg. It's a ceramic grill/smoker. It is made for high
> temperature grilling. They also make pizza stones. The pizza stones are
> made from the same material as the Big Green Egg. They can take high
> temperatures.
>
> Fibrament is *NOT* a "fake" stone. Synthetic, probably, but not fake. It
> is made for use over a fire.
>
> Sorry you have a comprehension problem
>
> BOB
> have you been brining in your garage again, causing your brain to lose more
> cells?

You post more coherently as SusanWilliams.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> the stones don't really 'absorb' the moisture. a 500°+ object just isn't
>> going to pull moisture into it.
>>

> I don't agree with that, and I don't think stone oven pizza makers do
> either. The pizza hits the 600F +/- stone, with about a 65-70% water to
> flour ratio, by weight. The moisture on the bottom of the pizza round goes
> into the stone, and the pizza becomes crisp on the bottom. The stone
> doesn't pull moisture. The moisture equilibrates between the bottom of the
> crust and the stone. On any other metallic cooking surface, the moisture
> all stays in the crust. If you don't use a stone, you'll have a soggy
> crust.

hmmmm, go to the fibrament webpage and look under faqs where they say that
you can cover the stone with aluminum foil. go to the pizza forum (
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ ) read about those that cook on
parchment paper on top of thier stones. also on the forum you can read about
cooking pizza on plate steel.

water vaporizes at that temperature and creates pressure that seeks the
least resistance, out along the interface between the dough and the stone.
elvis leaves the building.

your beliefs don't affect my pizza or my respect for thermodynamics.

joe
petersburg (wake me when it's over) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I plop the dough on the grates, with
> beautiful browned crispy results.

exactly what we do. the stone is for the oven. though the stone would help
to provide a more uniform heat to the dough avoiding the hotspots that are
normal over a charcoal, etc fire.

joe
petersburg (who has rotated a pie on an uneven fire) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nobody" > wrote in message

> We have purchased pizza "stones," at WalMart that seem to work well.
> They're about 16" or so in diameter and of a heavy pottery material. I
> use mine in the grill with good success and have not had one break. One
> thing to consider is keeping it from moisture, like rain. I put it on the
> grates when I first light them, letting the heat increase gradually to
> drive out any moisture.
>
> Nonny

Nonny are you baking your pizza over charcoal or over gas? Have you measured
the temp. on the grate[I usually put an oven thermometer on the stone to see
where it is]?
What kind of grate are you using? Someone at William Sonoma today told me
she used to put
the pizza round on the steel grate of a Weber charcoal, bake it for one
minute, then flip it and top the pizza. Then the rest gets baked on the
grate without any stone. Your point about the slow heating and the
evaporation of water is a very good one. Mine cracked when some unknown
aqueous material dribbled from the pizza to the stone, I'm sure.

Kent

How thick is the stone from Wally's Mart?? As a tightwad that's right up my
alley!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 6, 11:44 am, yetanotherBob > wrote:
>> In article >, kh6444
>> @comcast.net says...
>>

>> > Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> > without
>> > cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb
>> > enough
>> > of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>> > Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.

>> > I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
>> > seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was
>> > the
>> > second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked
>> > the
>> > pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops
>> > of
>> > liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked.
>> > I'm
>> > pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher,
>> > and the
>> > top suddenly became 100F or so.

>> > If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>> > you
>> > do it, and what kind of stone do you use?

>> > TIA

>> > Kent

>> You might want to Google on "ZaGrill". No stone involved. These work
>> well, but are made out of mild steel and are very rust-prone if you
>> don't keep everything completely dry. If you're handy with tools, it
>> wouldn't be hard to make something similar yourself out of stainless
>> and/or heavy aluminum pans available at restaurant supply places, and in
>> larger sizes, if needed.
>>
>> Bob- Hide quoted text -

> Kent, why bother with a stone? I plop the dough on the grates, with
> beautiful browned crispy results.
>
> Pierre

How do you do it? Over charcoal or gas? What temp? What kind of grate can
you put
a pizza round on? Do you bake sightly, remove it, and then top the pizza, or
do you do the traditional method as you do indoors?
Thanks for any help,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D D D is offline

Villaware makes a pizza stone for grills. It is meant to be used on a
gas or charcoal grill with the lid off. The stone sits in a metal holder
that raises it up and allows hot air to flow around over the top to cook
the toppings. It also has a temp monitor. As was mentioned earlier, go
to pizzamaking.com. It has everything you want to know about pizza
making. I have made pizzas on the grill by raising up my stone like the
Villaware. I make most of my pizzas in a wood fire outdoor oven I built.
My pizzas cook in about 90 seconds at about 900 to 1000 degrees.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> Nonny are you baking your pizza over charcoal or over gas? Have you
> measured
> the temp. on the grate[I usually put an oven thermometer on the stone to
> see where it is]?
> What kind of grate are you using? Someone at William Sonoma today told me
> she used to put
> the pizza round on the steel grate of a Weber charcoal, bake it for one
> minute, then flip it and top the pizza. Then the rest gets baked on the
> grate without any stone. Your point about the slow heating and the
> evaporation of water is a very good one. Mine cracked when some unknown
> aqueous material dribbled from the pizza to the stone, I'm sure.
>
> Kent
>
> How thick is the stone from Wally's Mart?? As a tightwad that's right up
> my alley!

The round disk is about 1/4" thick. I use it on our 3-burner gas grill.
--
Nonnymus

You don't stand any taller by trying
to make others appear shorter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 6, 9:13 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Pierre" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Aug 6, 11:44 am, yetanotherBob > wrote:
> >> In article >, kh6444
> >> @comcast.net says...

> >> You might want to Google on "ZaGrill". No stone involved. These work
> >> well, but are made out of mild steel and are very rust-prone if you
> >> don't keep everything completely dry. If you're handy with tools, it
> >> wouldn't be hard to make something similar yourself out of stainless
> >> and/or heavy aluminum pans available at restaurant supply places, and in
> >> larger sizes, if needed.

> >> Bob- Hide quoted text -

> > Kent, why bother with a stone? I plop the dough on the grates, with
> > beautiful browned crispy results.

> > Pierre

> How do you do it? Over charcoal or gas? What temp? What kind of grate can
> you put
> a pizza round on? Do you bake sightly, remove it, and then top the pizza, or
> do you do the traditional method as you do indoors?
> Thanks for any help,

Kent, I cook it with charcoal, (I wouldn't think that gas is much
different) be sure there's an indirect part of the grill that you can
move the crust to. Lightly brush your crust(the bottom) with olive
oil. Plop your crust on the clean grates with spatula in hand and cook
as you would a pancake; check for how fast it's cooking, and manuver
the crust with the spatula until the bottom is done to your liking.
Its a work in progress, keep an eye on it; it will cook relatively
quickly. You can keep the lid up. You'll end up with some nice
marks.
Remove the crust to a cutting board, lightly brush the topping side
with evoo to the now cooked side, and apply the toppings. Continue
cooking manuvering the pizza from the hot to the indirect side until
the cheese has melted, and you've got a nice crust on the bottom.

Its not very complicated, and a bit of fun. As it should be.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill without
> cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament absorb enough
> of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>
> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was the
> second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I cracked the
> pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F; several drops of
> liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off and it cracked. I'm
> pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was 600F or higher, and the
> top suddenly became 100F or so.
>
> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how you
> do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>
> TIA
>
> Kent

Yes, got it from Walmart a few years ago, I fire the grill up to as hot
as it will get. Fresh homemade dough, then simple toppings, boom done.

No cracking at all.

for grilled pizza you can drop the stone as well. Make your dough, place
all the crusts you've made between separate sheets of wax paper. Get the
grill ready, put raw dough on grate, I can usually do two at a time. It
does not take long to crispy up one side. When all crusts are done on
one side, start doing the toppings a the grilled side, take it back out,
put is over indirect heat to finish the bottom and top.

mk
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 6, 9:13 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "Pierre" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> > Kent, why bother with a stone? I plop the dough on the grates, with
>> > beautiful browned crispy results.

>> > Pierre

>> How do you do it? Over charcoal or gas? What temp? What kind of grate can
>> you put
>> a pizza round on? Do you bake sightly, remove it, and then top the pizza,
>> or
>> do you do the traditional method as you do indoors?
>> Thanks for any help,

> Kent, I cook it with charcoal, (I wouldn't think that gas is much
> different) be sure there's an indirect part of the grill that you can
> move the crust to. Lightly brush your crust(the bottom) with olive
> oil. Plop your crust on the clean grates with spatula in hand and cook
> as you would a pancake; check for how fast it's cooking, and manuver
> the crust with the spatula until the bottom is done to your liking.
> Its a work in progress, keep an eye on it; it will cook relatively
> quickly. You can keep the lid up. You'll end up with some nice
> marks.
> Remove the crust to a cutting board, lightly brush the topping side
> with evoo to the now cooked side, and apply the toppings. Continue
> cooking manuvering the pizza from the hot to the indirect side until
> the cheese has melted, and you've got a nice crust on the bottom.
>
> Its not very complicated, and a bit of fun. As it should be.
>

> Pierre

Thanks, Pierre, I'm going to try this.
I do something very similar in the kitchen. I use leftover pizza dough to
make a pizza round, and then precook it
at 550F on a stone for 90 seconds. When you take it out it collapses. I
freeze the rounds for a quick pizza when I don't have time to go through the
whole ritual. It works great. When I make the pizza with the frozen round, I
thaw it before topping it, and proceed exactly as you do. I haven't tried
that directly on the grate, and shall.
Thanks again, for the idea.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"mikel68" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> Does anyone have a pizza stone that works on a gas or charcoal grill
>> without cracking up. Has anyone used fibrament. If so does fibrament
>> absorb enough of the dough moisture to crisp the bottom of the crust?
>> Has anyone used any other stone material on the grill.
>>
>> I made a great Pizza Margherita on the grill today. I used fresh basil,
>> seeded sliced tomato, and fresh mozzerella and nothing else. This was
>> the second time in 10 years I've tried this, and the second time I
>> cracked the pizza stone on the grill. The stone temp. was about 600F;
>> several drops of liquid spilled onto the stone when I took the pizza off
>> and it cracked. I'm pretty sure it's because the bottom of the stone was
>> 600F or higher, and the top suddenly became 100F or so.
>>
>> If any make pizza routinely successfully, I would sure like to hear how
>> you do it, and what kind of stone do you use?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Yes, got it from Walmart a few years ago, I fire the grill up to as hot as
> it will get. Fresh homemade dough, then simple toppings, boom done.
>
> No cracking at all.
>
> for grilled pizza you can drop the stone as well. Make your dough, place
> all the crusts you've made between separate sheets of wax paper. Get the
> grill ready, put raw dough on grate, I can usually do two at a time. It
> does not take long to crispy up one side. When all crusts are done on one
> side, start doing the toppings a the grilled side, take it back out, put
> is over indirect heat to finish the bottom and top.
>
> mk

I've been using a porcelain coated cast iron grate with the flat side up for
fish and other flaky foods
that don't do well with steel rods. It seems that would make your technique
easier. I'm going to have a go at that. As I said in the preceeding post, I
freeze the partially cooked rounds, and use them later. Thaw them first.
Cheers,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:16:00 -0400, Dan wrote:
>
>> BOB wrote:

>>> have you been brining in your garage again, causing your brain to lose more
>>> cells?
>>>

>> You post more coherently as Susan...

> Are you gonna take that from him, Bob? You must be the captain
> of cool to let him get away with that!
>
> -sw

I guess he knows when it's time to be quiet.