Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Report on First Smoke

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...

> I'll be looking in tomorrow for a report on how the butt came

out.

Well, the restults were less than to be desired, but it was my
own fault for not starting at the crack of dawn. 8-( That's a
lesson I'll bet I won't have to repeat to have it stick.

Having started the fire at 12:15 p.m., I expected to be done by 1
or 2 a.m., at the latest. I knew I was in trouble by midnight.,
as the meat was only inching up about 3 degrees per. Seemed to
be slowing instead of building temperature.
By 2:40, I was only at 183 degrees. So close to pullable pork,
but . . . I just couldn't stay up any longer. It's still in the
cooler, too hot to put in the refrigerator.

Is there any way I can make it pullable now, or am I stuck with
sliced pork?

All in all, it was a good learning experience, and I'm anxious to
do it again. I've been reading up a storm during this process,
and I can see several areas where I need to make
improvements--the chief one being that I need to get a better
handle on controling the fire. I suspect therein lies most of
last night's troubles.

Got to admit it does look mighty pretty, though <g>.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through to this point. I
appreciate your help very much!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen,

You are on the right track! How much did the pork shoulder weigh and
what kind of smoker unit did you use?

I use a Weber "WSM" (Weber Smoky Mountain)and the minion technique
recommended by Jim Minion. You can google for the details.

My pork shoulders are generally at 190 degrees internal temp. after
about 11 to 14 hours on the grill at temps that fluctuate between 270
and 225, depending on the weight of the meat.

Last one I did I put on at 10 p.m. and took off the next morning at 9
a.m. with internal temps around 195. Once I get the unit cranking I
go on to bed as I have the WSM in a large sandy area and dont have to
worry about fires. I also use sand in the water pan instead of water
so dont have to worry about adding water all the time.

So, keep on working at getting a good steady fire, be patient, and you
will get there!

Low-N-Slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You are on the right track! How much did the pork shoulder

weigh and
> what kind of smoker unit did you use?

Thanks! The Boston butt was about 6-1/2 pounds. I'm using a
Weber Smokey Mountain with an ET-73 Maverick thermometer.

> I use a Weber "WSM" (Weber Smoky Mountain)and the minion

technique
> recommended by Jim Minion. You can google for the details.

I'm definitely going to give that a try soon.

> My pork shoulders are generally at 190 degrees internal temp.

after
> about 11 to 14 hours on the grill at temps that fluctuate

between 270
> and 225, depending on the weight of the meat.

My major mistake was in underestimating the time. I thought I
had plenty of time, allowing for 1-1/2 hours per pound. After I
started the cook, I found out that I should have allowed for 2
hours per pound. I still would have had enough time had I had a
better fire going.

> Last one I did I put on at 10 p.m. and took off the next

morning at 9
> a.m. with internal temps around 195. Once I get the unit

cranking I
> go on to bed as I have the WSM in a large sandy area and dont

have to
> worry about fires. I also use sand in the water pan instead of

water
> so dont have to worry about adding water all the time.

This sounds like a great solution; but aren't you afraid that the
fire is going to go down too low?

> So, keep on working at getting a good steady fire, be patient,

and you
> will get there!

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

low-n-slow > wrote in news:1186064992.180403.169980
@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Karen,
>
> You are on the right track! How much did the pork shoulder weigh and
> what kind of smoker unit did you use?
>
> I use a Weber "WSM" (Weber Smoky Mountain)and the minion technique
> recommended by Jim Minion. You can google for the details.
>
> My pork shoulders are generally at 190 degrees internal temp. after
> about 11 to 14 hours on the grill at temps that fluctuate between 270
> and 225, depending on the weight of the meat.
>
> Last one I did I put on at 10 p.m. and took off the next morning at 9
> a.m. with internal temps around 195. Once I get the unit cranking I
> go on to bed as I have the WSM in a large sandy area and dont have to
> worry about fires. I also use sand in the water pan instead of water
> so dont have to worry about adding water all the time.
>
> So, keep on working at getting a good steady fire, be patient, and you
> will get there!
>
> Low-N-Slow

At between 200F and 250F smoker temp you should allow aprox 1 and 1/2
hours per pound of boston butt to get it just over the internal temp of
170 which is the lowest temp pork pulls at (at least for me). Getting the
temp higher is beyond my knowledge; cause I can barely wait for it to get
over 170 before I snarf it. So a 6 lb roast would take well over 9 hours
at least to get close to 180F or higher internally.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> low-n-slow > wrote in

news:1186064992.180403.169980 @o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
> At between 200F and 250F smoker temp you should allow aprox 1

and 1/2
> hours per pound of boston butt to get it just over the internal

temp of
> 170 which is the lowest temp pork pulls at (at least for me).

Getting the
> temp higher is beyond my knowledge; cause I can barely wait for

it to get
> over 170 before I snarf it. So a 6 lb roast would take well

over 9 hours
> at least to get close to 180F or higher internally.

I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
(although I think DH would be fine with it).

I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen C. wrote:

> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
> (although I think DH would be fine with it).

The bone being loose is a very good indicator, certainly.
I fail to understand the idea of "too moist", though. Your
daughter likes meat dried out?

> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.

Absolutely, that's what I've done in the past. Stick it
in a 250F oven until it hits 193F internal or so, then
let it rest a bit after taking it out. The shoulder has
taken-on all the smoke it's going to at this point, anyway.

Good eating!

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen C. wrote:
> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>> low-n-slow > wrote in

> news:1186064992.180403.169980 @o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>> At between 200F and 250F smoker temp you should allow aprox 1

> and 1/2
>> hours per pound of boston butt to get it just over the internal

> temp of
>> 170 which is the lowest temp pork pulls at (at least for me).

> Getting the
>> temp higher is beyond my knowledge; cause I can barely wait for

> it to get
>> over 170 before I snarf it. So a 6 lb roast would take well

> over 9 hours
>> at least to get close to 180F or higher internally.

> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
> (although I think DH would be fine with it).
>
> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen C.

I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a little bit of
apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out. The bark
won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> I fail to understand the idea of "too moist", though. Your
> daughter likes meat dried out?

Well, not completely dried out; but this is even a bit too moist
for me.

> Absolutely, that's what I've done in the past. Stick it
> in a 250F oven until it hits 193F internal or so, then
> let it rest a bit after taking it out. The shoulder has
> taken-on all the smoke it's going to at this point, anyway.

That's what I'll do, then. Thanks a bunch!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brian wrote:

>> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
>> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
>> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
>> (although I think DH would be fine with it).
>>
>> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Karen C.
>>

> I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a little bit of
> apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out. The bark
> won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

Why do you wrap the shoulder in foil and add apple juice?
Do you really think it keeps the shoulder from drying out?
Once the bark has formed, I believe there's very little
that exterior water vapor does to influence the interior
of the meat, but I'm sure it'll soften the bark as described.

I've just sat the shoulder on a rack in a shallow pan and
let it go, the times I've finished one in an oven, and
drying-out isn't a problem at all. Not even remotely.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brian" > wrote in message
> I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a

little bit of
> apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out.

The bark
> won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

Perfect! I just happen to have bought a bottle of apple juice a
couple of days ago. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>> low-n-slow > wrote in

> news:1186064992.180403.169980 @o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>> At between 200F and 250F smoker temp you should allow aprox 1

> and 1/2
>> hours per pound of boston butt to get it just over the internal

> temp of
>> 170 which is the lowest temp pork pulls at (at least for me).

> Getting the
>> temp higher is beyond my knowledge; cause I can barely wait for

> it to get
>> over 170 before I snarf it. So a 6 lb roast would take well

> over 9 hours
>> at least to get close to 180F or higher internally.

> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
> (although I think DH would be fine with it).
>
> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen C.

I've read a lot of your posts Karen, and enjoy what you say as well as
reading the answers... but I have one question... does DH stand for what I
think it does? *g*

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> I've read a lot of your posts Karen, and enjoy what you say as

well as
> reading the answers...

Thanks for your kind words.

> but I have one question... does DH stand for what I
> think it does? *g*

Well, in my case, DH stands for "dear husband."

There are those who use the abbreviation in a more derrogatory
term (not duck head, but close <g>).

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> "43fan" > wrote in message
>> I've read a lot of your posts Karen, and enjoy what you say as

> well as
>> reading the answers...

> Thanks for your kind words.
>
>> but I have one question... does DH stand for what I
>> think it does? *g*

> Well, in my case, DH stands for "dear husband."
>
> There are those who use the abbreviation in a more derrogatory
> term (not duck head, but close <g>).
>
> Karen C.

Dear Husband... yep, that's what I was thinking...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." wrote:

> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
> message ...
>
> > I'll be looking in tomorrow for a report on how the butt came

> out.
>
> Well, the restults were less than to be desired, but it was my
> own fault for not starting at the crack of dawn. 8-( That's a
> lesson I'll bet I won't have to repeat to have it stick.
>
> Having started the fire at 12:15 p.m., I expected to be done by 1
> or 2 a.m., at the latest. I knew I was in trouble by midnight.,
> as the meat was only inching up about 3 degrees per. Seemed to
> be slowing instead of building temperature.
> By 2:40, I was only at 183 degrees. So close to pullable pork,
> but . . . I just couldn't stay up any longer. It's still in the
> cooler, too hot to put in the refrigerator.
>
> Is there any way I can make it pullable now, or am I stuck with
> sliced pork?
>
> All in all, it was a good learning experience, and I'm anxious to
> do it again. I've been reading up a storm during this process,
> and I can see several areas where I need to make
> improvements--the chief one being that I need to get a better
> handle on controling the fire. I suspect therein lies most of
> last night's troubles.
>
> Got to admit it does look mighty pretty, though <g>.
>
> Thanks to everyone who helped me through to this point. I
> appreciate your help very much!
>
> Karen C.

It may have had enough carry over to get to pullable while resting in
the cooler.

For future reference, while the purists will whine, if it's taking too
long and you want to go to sleep, just move it to the oven at the same
temp and it will be fine when you wake up. After the first few hours
it's generally absorbed all the smoke it's going to and after that it's
just slow cooking so moving to the oven at that point will make little
difference in the final product.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana Myers wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> >> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
> >> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
> >> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
> >> (although I think DH would be fine with it).
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Karen C.
> >>

> > I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a little bit of
> > apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out. The bark
> > won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

> Why do you wrap the shoulder in foil and add apple juice?
> Do you really think it keeps the shoulder from drying out?
> Once the bark has formed, I believe there's very little
> that exterior water vapor does to influence the interior
> of the meat, but I'm sure it'll soften the bark as described.
>
> I've just sat the shoulder on a rack in a shallow pan and
> let it go, the times I've finished one in an oven, and
> drying-out isn't a problem at all. Not even remotely.
>
> Dana

I'm with you, I've never foiled, using the same rack in a pan to allow
the drippings to continue to drip. Never had a problem.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana Myers wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>>> I was shooting for 195, but I had to stop at 183. I checked it
>>> this a.m. Although I'm not going to have to slice it, the bone
>>> isn't loose, and it's too moist for my daughter's tastes
>>> (although I think DH would be fine with it).
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if I can put it in the oven to bring it up to 195.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Karen C.
>>>

>> I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a little bit
>> of apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out. The
>> bark won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

> Why do you wrap the shoulder in foil and add apple juice?
> Do you really think it keeps the shoulder from drying out?

It seems to work for me, for my purposes.

> Once the bark has formed, I believe there's very little
> that exterior water vapor does to influence the interior
> of the meat, but I'm sure it'll soften the bark as described.

Maybe because of moisture absorption? Whatever moisture is
left in the foil is mixed into the interior meat when I'm pulling
it, along with a sprinkling of the rub I started out with.

> I've just sat the shoulder on a rack in a shallow pan and
> let it go, the times I've finished one in an oven, and
> drying-out isn't a problem at all. Not even remotely.
>
> Dan

When I'm done I don't have a rack and a pan to clean, I throw the
foil away. Our Mileage Obviously Varies, and that's not a bad thing.
Respectfully.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dear Husband... yep, that's what I was thinking...

Well, he ain't so dear tonight <g>.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> "Karen C." wrote:
> For future reference, while the purists will whine, if it's

taking too
> long and you want to go to sleep, just move it to the oven at

the same
> temp and it will be fine when you wake up. After the first few

hours
> it's generally absorbed all the smoke it's going to and after

that it's
> just slow cooking so moving to the oven at that point will make

little
> difference in the final product.

I did wind up putting it in the oven to get it up to 190. Wound
up being quite good, after all, actually--which surprised the
heck out of me <g>.

When I asked DH if he liked the pork better in the smoker or the
crockpot, he had the nerve to only comment that it didn't have
enough smoke taste. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Didn't keep him from eating
a big old plateful of it, though. I told him I'd be more than
happy to let him do all the work next time <evil grin>.

DD came back for a second helping and then said she'd have it for
tomorrow's breakfast. She's about as picky as they come, so
that's saying something.

So I figure we'll be smoking the other butt soon. However, next
time, I'm going to make sure DH gets his share of the work and
learning experience <g>.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen C. wrote:
> "43fan" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Dear Husband... yep, that's what I was thinking...

> Well, he ain't so dear tonight <g>.
>
> Karen C.

He he he, I know that VERY well!

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brian wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:

>>> I've done that in a pinch. Double wrapped in foil, with a little bit
>>> of apple juice (or some kind of juice) to keep it from drying out.
>>> The bark won't be crunchy, but I'm sure it'll be tasty. Good Luck!

>> Why do you wrap the shoulder in foil and add apple juice?
>> Do you really think it keeps the shoulder from drying out?

> It seems to work for me, for my purposes.
>
>> Once the bark has formed, I believe there's very little
>> that exterior water vapor does to influence the interior
>> of the meat, but I'm sure it'll soften the bark as described.
>>

> Maybe because of moisture absorption? Whatever moisture is
> left in the foil is mixed into the interior meat when I'm pulling
> it, along with a sprinkling of the rub I started out with.

I'd say you're steaming the meat if you wrap it in foil
and add liquid. That's fine, of course - it's just likely
to result in something different than BBQ with a much drier
heat. Drying out the meat doesn't seem to be a problem in
any case - a butt/shoulder has plenty of juice to go a long
time.

Cheers,
Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen C. wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> "Karen C." wrote:
>> For future reference, while the purists will whine, if it's

> taking too
>> long and you want to go to sleep, just move it to the oven at

> the same
>> temp and it will be fine when you wake up. After the first few

> hours
>> it's generally absorbed all the smoke it's going to and after

> that it's
>> just slow cooking so moving to the oven at that point will make

> little
>> difference in the final product.

> I did wind up putting it in the oven to get it up to 190. Wound
> up being quite good, after all, actually--which surprised the
> heck out of me <g>.
>
> When I asked DH if he liked the pork better in the smoker or the
> crockpot, he had the nerve to only comment that it didn't have
> enough smoke taste. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Didn't keep him from eating
> a big old plateful of it, though. I told him I'd be more than
> happy to let him do all the work next time <evil grin>.
>
> DD came back for a second helping and then said she'd have it for
> tomorrow's breakfast. She's about as picky as they come, so
> that's saying something.

Outstanding. Sounds like you're well on your way. Frankly,
BBQ is one of the easiest ways to cook some of the most satisfying
food you'll eat in your life. With a little practice, it gets
really quite easy. The biggest thing is getting past worrying
about the details.

Congrats!

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana Myers wrote:
> The biggest thing is getting past worrying
> about the details.

BINGO!

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana Myers wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>> Dana Myers wrote:

>>> Why do you wrap the shoulder in foil and add apple juice?
>>> Do you really think it keeps the shoulder from drying out?

>> It seems to work for me, for my purposes.
>>
>>> Once the bark has formed, I believe there's very little
>>> that exterior water vapor does to influence the interior
>>> of the meat, but I'm sure it'll soften the bark as described.
>>>

>> Maybe because of moisture absorption? Whatever moisture is
>> left in the foil is mixed into the interior meat when I'm pulling
>> it, along with a sprinkling of the rub I started out with.

> I'd say you're steaming the meat if you wrap it in foil
> and add liquid. That's fine, of course - it's just likely
> to result in something different than BBQ with a much drier
> heat. Drying out the meat doesn't seem to be a problem in
> any case - a butt/shoulder has plenty of juice to go a long
> time.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I'd say the meat was still pretty tasty, though I do like my crunchy
bark as left on the pit.
I'm glad things worked out (kind of..) for the OP.
Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brian wrote:

> I'd say the meat was still pretty tasty, though I do like my crunchy
> bark as left on the pit.

Tasty, of course - Hawaiians have been doing BBQ this way
forever.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brian wrote:

> I'd say the meat was still pretty tasty, though I do like my crunchy
> bark as left on the pit.

Tasty, of course - Hawaiians have been doing BBQ this way
forever.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Karen,

I have never had a problem with the fire going too low in my WSM. Your
WSM should have come with a "charcoal ring" which is a big metal ring
with a bunch of holes in it. Fill it with charcoal or lump per the
minion method and get it going.

I have always filled my ring with Kingsford charcoal, mixing in some
fist sized hickory chunks for flavor. I tried lump once but did not
get the same cooking temp. times as I got with the charcoal so
abandoned that method. Others however use the lump with success so
experiment and see what works best for you.

I can easily get 14 to 17 hours of heat at 225 or above, certainly
enough to cook pork shoulders to internal temps of 190 to 200, the
magic "pulled pork" range.

I bought a candy thermometer and temporarily install it with a small
"c" clamp on one of the vent wings of the smoker top to roughly gauge
the heat in the dome. Again, google and you should find some pics
showing how to do this. The heat will generally be less at the grill
than at the dome but I have found this rarely matters. What matters is
the meat thermometer note below.

Also, I get longer heat times with the sand in the pan rather than
water, possibly because of the energy saved by not having to heat the
water.

Anyway, give the minion method a try, use a dome thermometer to make
sure your temps are in the 225 to 275 range, use sand covered with
foil in the water pan, get a good meat thermometer, after about 11
hours test the internal temp. of the meat with the thermometer, take
off grill when meat gets in the 190 to 200 range, wrap in aluminum
foil, wrap foil with towel, put in a styrofoam ice chest (no ice) for
one hour, then unravel and serve.

Mix some rub in with the pulled pork strands to give it added flavor.

Hope this helps some as it works every time for me.

Low-N-Slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Also, I get longer heat times with the sand in the pan rather than
> water, possibly because of the energy saved by not having to heat the
> water.

how do you not heat the sand? it has a greater thermal mass than water and
will absorb more heat initially to bring it up to temperature.

joe
petersburg (where it didn't rain, today) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 2, 5:28 am, "Karen C." > wrote:
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
> messagenews:knr2b3pvhh6ea4rop5gbejhe7q9jeen1vh@4ax .com...
>
> > I'll be looking in tomorrow for a report on how the butt came

> out.
>
> Well, the restults were less than to be desired, but it was my
> own fault for not starting at the crack of dawn. 8-( That's a
> lesson I'll bet I won't have to repeat to have it stick.
>
> Having started the fire at 12:15 p.m., I expected to be done by 1
> or 2 a.m., at the latest. I knew I was in trouble by midnight.,
> as the meat was only inching up about 3 degrees per. Seemed to
> be slowing instead of building temperature.
> By 2:40, I was only at 183 degrees. So close to pullable pork,
> but . . . I just couldn't stay up any longer. It's still in the
> cooler, too hot to put in the refrigerator.
>
> Is there any way I can make it pullable now, or am I stuck with
> sliced pork?
>
> All in all, it was a good learning experience, and I'm anxious to
> do it again. I've been reading up a storm during this process,
> and I can see several areas where I need to make
> improvements--the chief one being that I need to get a better
> handle on controling the fire. I suspect therein lies most of
> last night's troubles.
>
> Got to admit it does look mighty pretty, though <g>.
>
> Thanks to everyone who helped me through to this point. I
> appreciate your help very much!
>
> Karen C.

When a large cut of meat is cooking, even if the temp inside the
cooker is stable, the internal temp of the meat does not always
increase at a constant rate. It can "stall out" sometimes and stay at
a certain temp before increasing again.

There are many people that have great success using something other
than water in the WSM. The water is there mostly to stabilize temps
inside the WSM and to help prevent temp spikes. I use a large clay
pot base (the flat disk the pot sits on) that fits nicely into the
water pan. It is very easy to clean up and there is no need to worry
about water. It hasnt effected the moistness of ribs or butts I have
cooked so far. Here is a link:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...2/m/9960084564

--Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...
> want to address sand in the water pan. I do that as well, and

I think
> you get a better "flywheel effect" with sand. Note that you

want to
> cover the sand with heavy duty foil--and not just any sand. Go

> Home Depot, Lowe's, likely any larger hardware store, and get a

bag of
> 'play sand' a/k/a 'sandbox sand'--it's been washed.

That really sounds like a lot better/easier way than fooling with
replenishing the water every 1-1/2 hours. But do we not need the
moisture/steam from the water?

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have never had a problem with the fire going too low in my

WSM. Your
> WSM should have come with a "charcoal ring" which is a big

metal ring
> with a bunch of holes in it. Fill it with charcoal or lump per

the
> minion method and get it going.

This sounds too easy to be true <g>. I'm definitely going to
give that a try.

> I have always filled my ring with Kingsford charcoal, mixing in

some
> fist sized hickory chunks for flavor. I tried lump once but did

not
> get the same cooking temp. times as I got with the charcoal so
> abandoned that method. Others however use the lump with success

so
> experiment and see what works best for you.

I didn't give any consideration to the size of the lump chunks I
used. That could have been part of my problem. I think most of
the problem with keeping the fire up was that I went by the WSM
booklet the first few hours. (It stated I needed 6 to 8 chunks
to get it going. That didn't work for me.)

> I can easily get 14 to 17 hours of heat at 225 or above,

certainly
> enough to cook pork shoulders to internal temps of 190 to 200,

the
> magic "pulled pork" range.

Sounds good to me!

> I bought a candy thermometer and temporarily install it with a

small
> "c" clamp on one of the vent wings of the smoker top to roughly

gauge
> the heat in the dome. Again, google and you should find some

pics

I believe I saw something like that on the Virtual Bullet site.

> Also, I get longer heat times with the sand in the pan rather

than
> water, possibly because of the energy saved by not having to

heat the
> water.

I definitely like the sound of that. The water was a bit of a
hassle.

> Anyway, give the minion method a try, use a dome thermometer to

make
> sure your temps are in the 225 to 275 range, use sand covered

with
> foil in the water pan, get a good meat thermometer, after about

11
> hours test the internal temp. of the meat with the thermometer,

take
> off grill when meat gets in the 190 to 200 range, wrap in

aluminum
> foil, wrap foil with towel, put in a styrofoam ice chest (no

ice) for
> one hour, then unravel and serve.

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to my next smoke. Now,
if work would just get out of my way . . .

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> Outstanding. Sounds like you're well on your way. Frankly,
> BBQ is one of the easiest ways to cook some of the most

satisfying
> food you'll eat in your life. With a little practice, it gets
> really quite easy. The biggest thing is getting past worrying
> about the details.

I'm glad to hear it does get easy. I think it'll be awhile
before I get past worrying about the details; but I'm going to
give it my best shot <g>.

> Congrats!

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> That's one of the reasons I don't do whole pork butts that

often
> - there's a lot of meat on them and much of it doesn't get any
> smoke at all.

I wondered about that. I thought maybe I just didn't use enough
smoke--especially since that was DH's gripe. There wasn't a
whole lot of diffference between the pork I fix in the crockpot
and what I did with the smoker. However, it was at leaset a bit
better with the smoker. I suspect that will improve as I learn
more about what to do and how to smoke properly. I hope so,
anyway <g>.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JWBoothe" > wrote in message
> When a large cut of meat is cooking, even if the temp inside

the
> cooker is stable, the internal temp of the meat does not always
> increase at a constant rate. It can "stall out" sometimes and

stay at
> a certain temp before increasing again.

Boy, you're not kidding! I thought we were going to be stuck at
165 and again at 173 forever.

> There are many people that have great success using something

other
> than water in the WSM. The water is there mostly to stabilize

temps
> inside the WSM and to help prevent temp spikes. I use a large

clay
> pot base (the flat disk the pot sits on) that fits nicely into

the
> water pan. It is very easy to clean up and there is no need

to worry
> about water. It hasnt effected the moistness of ribs or butts

I have
> cooked so far. Here is a link:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...52/m/996008456
4

Thanks! I was afraid that maybe the meat wouldn't be as moist
without using water. I'm definitely going to have to try this.

Thanks, again!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> But do we not need the
> moisture/steam from the water?

no, conceptually it sounds like a good idea, but you cannot drive moisture
into your product.

joe
petersburg (who took along time to ditch the water for sand) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> You should have posted that anonymously.

LOL! I can't imagine why that would be necessary, considering
I'm just being truthful about MY first attempt--not anybody
else's. Remember, I had to go to the oven to salvage it.
Frankly, I was surprised it turned out as well as it did, all
things considered. I learned several things I need to do
differently next time, so I'm sure it'll only improve from here.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in message
> no, conceptually it sounds like a good idea, but you cannot

drive moisture
> into your product.

I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message news
> One of my big objections to futzing with the water is that

every time
> you open the pit to add water, you dump all the heat. And

there's
> cleanup--with foil-covered sand, it's 'wrap up the foil and

toss'.

That makes a lot of sense.

One thing I was wondering about is how much and how often am I
supposed to put on smoking chips. The bark had a smokey taste to
it, but I didn't get to use much of it because it was rather
dried out after going into the oven for so long. Since DH
complained there was no smokey taste, I'm thinking all the smoke
was evidently in the bark. However, I suspect I still didn't put
enough hickory chips to it.

I'm anxious to give it another try with the second butt that came
in the package. Unfortunately, the temperature is supposed to be
in the mid-'90s all week, with a heat index of 100 or over. I
don't think I'm THAT anxious, though. Hopefully, the next week
will bring some relief.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message news
> One thing I was wondering about is how much and how often am I
> supposed to put on smoking chips. The bark had a smokey taste to
> it, but I didn't get to use much of it because it was rather
> dried out after going into the oven for so long. Since DH
> complained there was no smokey taste, I'm thinking all the smoke
> was evidently in the bark. However, I suspect I still didn't put
> enough hickory chips to it.

All you need is a tiny bit of visible smoke. It will penetrate until the
meat warms up some and it won't take any more. It is a pretty solid mass of
muscle, not a sponge with open cells. Often, the meat will have a better
taste after it sits for a while and some of the smoke taste penetrates more.
Another trick is to wash up and even change clothes before eating. You
build some immunity to the taste/smell from all the cooking smoke. Clear
your nostrils and taste buds.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .
> All you need is a tiny bit of visible smoke. It will penetrate

until the
> meat warms up some and it won't take any more.

Is it supposed to be a steady stream of smoke throughout the
smoke, though? I think one of my problems with the first smoke
is that I didn't give it enough wood chips.

> Another trick is to wash up and even change clothes before

eating. You
> build some immunity to the taste/smell from all the cooking

smoke. Clear
> your nostrils and taste buds.

That makes sense, but that wasn't DH's problem. He was out of
town during the smoking process.

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> All you need is a tiny bit of visible smoke. It will penetrate

> until the
>> meat warms up some and it won't take any more.

> Is it supposed to be a steady stream of smoke throughout the
> smoke, though? I think one of my problems with the first smoke
> is that I didn't give it enough wood chips.

I use a different type of smoker than you do Karen, but myself, I prefer
using chunks instead of chips. Usually two or three decent sized chunks is
more than enough to get good flavor in a butt or brisket either one. Still
though, with the chunks(about fist sized), they only last a couple of hours,
but like others have said, after that, the meat doesn't really take on that
much more smoke flavor anyway.

Also, I know hickory seems to be the "standard" for smoking pork especially,
but myself, I prefer oak. Cherry or apple is good to, but much milder, so
your hubby may not like it as well.

Anyway, my 2cents...

>> Another trick is to wash up and even change clothes before

> eating. You
>> build some immunity to the taste/smell from all the cooking

> smoke. Clear
>> your nostrils and taste buds.

> That makes sense, but that wasn't DH's problem. He was out of
> town during the smoking process.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen C.

smoke modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 5 04-05-2008 04:10 PM
What to smoke first? Christine Dabney General Cooking 74 14-07-2007 11:17 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM
Smoke with Elm? Johnny Barbecue 6 25-12-2003 12:02 AM