Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Report on First Smoke

"Karen C." > wrote in message

> Is it supposed to be a steady stream of smoke throughout the
> smoke, though? I think one of my problems with the first smoke
> is that I didn't give it enough wood chips.

Only early one. Once the meat gets up to about 140, you won't get much, if
any, penetration.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Aug-2007, "Karen C." > wrote:

> LOL! I can't imagine why that would be necessary, considering
> I'm just being truthful about MY first attempt--not anybody
> else's. Remember, I had to go to the oven to salvage it.
> Frankly, I was surprised it turned out as well as it did, all
> things considered. I learned several things I need to do
> differently next time, so I'm sure it'll only improve from here.

Karen

don't forget that smoke is essentially a spice in this process. Too much of
it can be a bad thing.

Slowly add more wood chips and keep a notebook of what you did (same advice
as the virtual weber bullit site)

If you've only got chips you may try and wrap them in a double (triple?)
layer of heavy duty foil and poke holes in to let the smoke out

NO CAPS to reply

PS sorry the late reply only 700+ more messages to go
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>> I'll be looking in tomorrow for a report on how the butt came

> out.
>
> Well, the restults were less than to be desired, but it was my
> own fault for not starting at the crack of dawn. 8-( That's a
> lesson I'll bet I won't have to repeat to have it stick.
>
> Having started the fire at 12:15 p.m., I expected to be done by 1
> or 2 a.m., at the latest. I knew I was in trouble by midnight.,
> as the meat was only inching up about 3 degrees per. Seemed to
> be slowing instead of building temperature.
> By 2:40, I was only at 183 degrees. So close to pullable pork,
> but . . . I just couldn't stay up any longer. It's still in the
> cooler, too hot to put in the refrigerator.
>
> Is there any way I can make it pullable now, or am I stuck with
> sliced pork?
>
> All in all, it was a good learning experience, and I'm anxious to
> do it again. I've been reading up a storm during this process,
> and I can see several areas where I need to make
> improvements--the chief one being that I need to get a better
> handle on controling the fire. I suspect therein lies most of
> last night's troubles.
>
> Got to admit it does look mighty pretty, though <g>.
>
> Thanks to everyone who helped me through to this point. I
> appreciate your help very much!
>
> Karen C.

Karen, I have been to a BBQ gathering in Virginia and just got back to
Flourdough this afternoon.
Just guessing but if the butt was at 185° when you put it in the
cooler(dry cooler I hope) it probably pull when you get around to it.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> i prefer using chunks instead of chips. Usually two or three

decent sized chunks is
> more than enough to get good flavor in a butt or brisket either

one. Still
> though, with the chunks(about fist sized), they only last a

couple of hours,
> but like others have said, after that, the meat doesn't really

take on that
> much more smoke flavor anyway.

I had no idea there were chunks that could be had. That does
sound a lot better.

> Also, I know hickory seems to be the "standard" for smoking

pork especially,
> but myself, I prefer oak. Cherry or apple is good to, but much

milder, so
> your hubby may not like it as well.

If hubby ain't smokin' the meat, he'll have to take what he gets
<g>.

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely get some chunks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...
> Only early one. Once the meat gets up to about 140, you won't

get much, if
> any, penetration.

Oh, okay. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> Karen, I have been to a BBQ gathering in Virginia and just got

back to
> Flourdough this afternoon.

Sounds like fun. Hope you had a great time!

> Just guessing but if the butt was at 185° when you put it in

the
> cooler(dry cooler I hope) it probably pull when you get around

to it.

Thanks! I left it in the oven 'til it hit 190. It wound up
being edible, but left a lot to be desired. It was a good
learning experience, anyway. I figure the next one ought to be a
lot better--and may actually have a smokey taste <g>.

Thanks for your feedback.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> "43fan" > wrote in message
>> i prefer using chunks instead of chips. Usually two or three

> decent sized chunks is
>> more than enough to get good flavor in a butt or brisket either

> one. Still
>> though, with the chunks(about fist sized), they only last a

> couple of hours,
>> but like others have said, after that, the meat doesn't really

> take on that
>> much more smoke flavor anyway.

> I had no idea there were chunks that could be had. That does
> sound a lot better.

Karen, do you own a saw? If so, make your own chunks for FREE

There is a lot of wood available if you want to take the time to find it.
Fruit orchards trim their trees and the branches are great for smoking. I
do some woodwork and have plenty of scraps to burn from maple, oak, cherry,
and walnut. If you know anyone that does woodworking for a hobby, ask them
to save you some hardwood scraps.

Tree trimming in the neighborhood? Amazing how much wood you can get with a
six-pack of cold Pepsi.

If all the above fails, steal a few fags from the neighbor's woodpile.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...
> Karen, do you own a saw? If so, make your own chunks for FREE

Yep, DH has a few saws.

> There is a lot of wood available if you want to take the time

to find it.
> Fruit orchards trim their trees and the branches are great for

smoking. I
> do some woodwork and have plenty of scraps to burn from maple,

oak, cherry,
> and walnut. If you know anyone that does woodworking for a

hobby, ask them
> to save you some hardwood scraps. . . .

Good ideas. I'll check around. Thanks!

Karen C.

smoke modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 5 04-05-2008 04:10 PM
What to smoke first? Christine Dabney General Cooking 74 14-07-2007 11:17 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM
Smoke with Elm? Johnny Barbecue 6 25-12-2003 01:02 AM