Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Stainless Steel justifies a $200 difference from a non-ss model?

I'm looking at these two Weber models found here,
http://tinyurl.com/ynka5b

The specs are exactly the same, but from what I can see, the S-320 has
the stainless steel parts. I dropped by a Home Depot nearby, but they
didn't even have either of the models on display at all.

I've never owned a stainless steel fabricated propane grill before.
What I was wondering was, if the extra $200 worth it and justify the
difference because it's all stainless steel?

I don't mind at all paying for the cost difference as long as it is
indeed worth it. Thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at these two Weber models found here,
> http://tinyurl.com/ynka5b
>
> The specs are exactly the same, but from what I can see, the S-320 has
> the stainless steel parts. I dropped by a Home Depot nearby, but they
> didn't even have either of the models on display at all.
>
> I've never owned a stainless steel fabricated propane grill before.
> What I was wondering was, if the extra $200 worth it and justify the
> difference because it's all stainless steel?
>
> I don't mind at all paying for the cost difference as long as it is
> indeed worth it. Thanks!

I see two differences:
7mm stainless steel rod cooking grates
the stainless steel shroud and cabinet doors on this barbeque will add a
sophisticated look to your patio.

The first does not state the type of grate. It may be the cheaper
porcelainized steel that works well too. It would be nice to see another
model with the regular grates. The 7 mm is going to be worth a few bucks
more. Most important, it won't add that sophisticated look to your patio.
If you don't have a sophisticated look, the neighbors may get a petition to
kick your ass out of the neighborhood.

I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep clean
though. My grill is well used, but a dark color so that bit of smokiness
that gets on the top does not show. IMO, that is the only consideration.
From the specifications, it should cook the same.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep clean
> though. My grill is well used, but a dark color so that bit of smokiness
> that gets on the top does not show. IMO, that is the only consideration.
> From the specifications, it should cook the same.

The one I have shows every spot of rain, smoke or grease and dust. It's
not as much of a problem, though as it sounds. When I hose off the
patio, I also hose off the grill's exterior. To clean it, like when
company is coming, I use the SS cleaner sold at Home Depot and a green
scouring pad. The pad makes "scratches" in the SS, but you soon just
learn to work with the grain and after while it has a burnished
appearance. After scouring with the SS cleaner and pads, wiping with a
clean rag leaves the SS looking new and it stays that way for weeks,
except for smoke/grease.

Inside, a SS grill is just like any other. Covering the grates
occasionally with aluminum foil and running the burners on hot until the
smoke stops cleans it out really well.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymous wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep
>> clean though. My grill is well used, but a dark color so that bit of
>> smokiness that gets on the top does not show. IMO, that is the only
>> consideration. From the specifications, it should cook the same.

> The one I have shows every spot of rain, smoke or grease and dust. It's
> not as much of a problem, though as it sounds. When I hose off the
> patio, I also hose off the grill's exterior. To clean it, like when
> company is coming, I use the SS cleaner sold at Home Depot and a green
> scouring pad. The pad makes "scratches" in the SS, but you soon just
> learn to work with the grain and after while it has a burnished
> appearance. After scouring with the SS cleaner and pads, wiping with a
> clean rag leaves the SS looking new and it stays that way for weeks,
> except for smoke/grease.
>
> Inside, a SS grill is just like any other. Covering the grates
> occasionally with aluminum foil and running the burners on hot until the
> smoke stops cleans it out really well.
>
> Nonny

If you want a real nice sheen use this stuff

http://www.bonami.com/uses/grills.html

Works great on windshields too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep
> clean though.

Yup. Denatured alcohol works well, though.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
news
> I see two differences:
> 7mm stainless steel rod cooking grates
> the stainless steel shroud and cabinet doors on this barbeque will add
> a sophisticated look to your patio.
>
> The first does not state the type of grate. It may be the cheaper
> porcelainized steel that works well too. It would be nice to see
> another model with the regular grates. The 7 mm is going to be worth
> a few bucks more. Most important, it won't add that sophisticated
> look to your patio. If you don't have a sophisticated look, the
> neighbors may get a petition to kick your ass out of the neighborhood.
>
> I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep
> clean though. My grill is well used, but a dark color so that bit of
> smokiness that gets on the top does not show. IMO, that is the only
> consideration. From the specifications, it should cook the same.

Just bought (two months ago) the Perfect Flame with IR searer and
porcelain covered cast iron grates from Lowes (two hood model). I
replaced a Coleman that was 8 years old. I've rebuilt the Coleman three
times at a price of USD60 for parts not including the the cast iron
grates and an additional USD50 when I replaced the grates (only replaced
the grates once).
The SS cabinet and drawers only makes the grill look nice and supply much
needed storage.
The IR searer works great and I'm happy with the grill. I looked at many
SS grills. Most of the under USD500 were crap. The hoods were very
lightweight and were not insulated. To test when buying: open the hood
and try to wiggle it from side to side. If it moves easily, you should
move on to the next model. The SS grill you buy should be very heavy
(250lbs. or more). Anything less than 250 lbs. probably contains a lot of
plastic and lightweight SS.
They rainspot and get hotter than a witch's tit when left uncovered in
the sun. They are pretty easy to clean. Wipe down with any of the SS
cleaners on the market or whip up a batch of 25/75 mineral oil to alcohol
and wipe on (what I do).
SS by itself doesn't do much if anything to improve or enhance a grills
performance. The new SS grills have upgraded burners, grates, side
burners, back burners etc.
If you choose to buy one, don't go cheap.
Regards,
Hank
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at these two Weber models found here,
> http://tinyurl.com/ynka5b
>
> The specs are exactly the same, but from what I can see, the S-320 has
> the stainless steel parts. I dropped by a Home Depot nearby, but they
> didn't even have either of the models on display at all.
>
> I've never owned a stainless steel fabricated propane grill before.
> What I was wondering was, if the extra $200 worth it and justify the
> difference because it's all stainless steel?
>
> I don't mind at all paying for the cost difference as long as it is
> indeed worth it. Thanks!

I've noticed the higher buck Webers have stainless steel rod grates in
addition to
having stainless cabinetry. The SS grates are worthless. They don't conduct
heat. They can't sear a steak.
The round surface of the grate won't grill a flaky fish without it falling
apart.
Don't do that That's most important.

Other than that, like many on this NG, a painted grill is just fine. My
Genesis B is almost 20 yrs. old. I used to hate it. Since I bought porcelein
coated cast iron grates
I almost love it. The charcoal round Weber is still better.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
The SS grates are worthless. They don't conduct
> heat. They can't sear a steak.
> The round surface of the grate won't grill a flaky fish without it falling
> apart.

This is an area where I respectfully disagree. I find the SS rods are
easy to keep clean, a light coat of olive oil for grilling prevents fish
from sticking and that I used to get quite decent grill marks cooking
steaks and burgers. I use mine to cook salmon and tuna frequently and
the results are terrific.
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:18:52 -0700, Nonnymous >
wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> I've never owned a SS grill. I have read that they are a PITA to keep clean
>> though. My grill is well used, but a dark color so that bit of smokiness
>> that gets on the top does not show. IMO, that is the only consideration.
>> From the specifications, it should cook the same.

>The one I have shows every spot of rain, smoke or grease and dust. It's
>not as much of a problem, though as it sounds. When I hose off the
>patio, I also hose off the grill's exterior. To clean it, like when
>company is coming, I use the SS cleaner sold at Home Depot and a green
>scouring pad.

A trick I learned a long time ago when I worked in a restaurant is to
use soap and water to get the grime off then wipe it with bottled soda
water to polish it. That's what the waitresses always did to the milk
machine and other stainless fixtures back then, and that's what I do
today to my Weber.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

>>My Genesis B is almost 20 yrs. old. I used to hate it. Since I

bought porcelein coated cast iron grates<<

Mine isn't 20 years old but I replaced the stainless steel grates
that came with it with the porcelainized cast iron also. I even
flipped them upside down as someone in the group suggested,
it made a heck of a difference.
The stainless steel doors on my B always look streaked, even
after cleaning with stainless steel cleaners. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"raymond" > wrote in message

>>> then wipe it with bottled soda water to polish it. <<<

Just any carbonated pop? I'm interested, we have some
stainless in the kitchen also. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:

> Just any carbonated pop? I'm interested, we have some
> stainless in the kitchen also. RM~

Unflavored
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn" > wrote in message